THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    USING A BOOKING AGENT - PLEASE READ!!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USING A BOOKING AGENT - PLEASE READ!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Greg,

If you were in the right you would not have to defend yourself. I am sure a simple apoloogy would go a long way here?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Greg,

If you were in the right you would not have to defend yourself. I am sure a simple apoloogy would go a long way here?

I did apologize, twice on the original post actually. I thought thats all I needed to do, but apparently not. Check the original post.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:
Greg,

I did apologize, twice on the original post actually. I thought thats all I needed to do, but apparently not. Check the original post.

Greg,

I think for the most we are all having a dig at you mate and please do not be too offended.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Greg,

Greg,

I think for the most we are all having a dig at you mate and please do not be too offended.

I promise, you're not offending me in the slightest way. A couple guys on here are trying to, so I figured I would throw in my thoughts as well. No offense taken from your post whatsoever.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg and Jeff are upright and honest guys. They stand behind what they represent. They go the extra mile and are pro's. Jeff has taken every game animal on the planet except Mountain Nyala. He is extremely experienced and knows the business. He has been doing this for 25+ years. I trust them implicitly and will continue to do so.

I dare anyone on this board to compare their experience to that of Jeff Neal in terms of places hunted, game taken and length of time doing this.

Any mistake they make, they correct.

Any naysayers out there do not know what they speak of.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Booking agents need to do their due diligence. That is exactly why we pay them. And make no mistake, it is the clients who pay the fee, not the outfitter.

IMO, two kinds of booking agents frequent these boards. Those with real experience and a track record of the items offered for sale. They will let you know who has been there, and what your realistic expectations should be.

And there a few who over-use this forum, promoting whatever comes along in their email.

Credibility is the gold standard. I will place that vote with my checkbook.

Aaron, thanks for trying to clear this up. Some guys don't want to believe what you or I have said, and that's their choice. You brought up some very valid points, especially the one about how easy it is to find the hunt price once the outfitters name is posted, but I guess everyone can find a way to disagree about something. One major reason we do not add to these hunts is because of things like this, it pisses people off and creates an undesirable situation for both hunter and agent. Our goal isn't to screw someone out of a few grand, our goal is for our clients to have a great, delay and trouble free hunt. When we achieve this goal, we usually have repeat business, which all of you business men out there know is what keeps a company IN business.

Jack,

I would absolutely consider myself an amateur. In fact, I have only been doing it for 4 years now. But my boss has been doing this for 35 years, 30 of those being full time. We do our due diligence. Jeff has logged over 50 safaris to Africa, hunted almost all of the sheep of the world with clients and for himself, killed the North American 29 before he was 28 years old (actually was once the youngest to do so, not sure if that record still stands), shot almost every slam Africa has, killed the big 5, and hunts about 150-180 days per year. The list goes on, and on, and on and if that's not due diligence, I would love to see what your resume looks like! He has done the due diligence, not me. I have been to 5 countries in Africa, thats it. You're right, I have never been to Ethiopia, but that's why Jeff's name is on the business signs. Jeff asked me to post the hunt about the Nyala (he has no idea how to post things on the internet) because the source it came from was someone we have trusted for the past 10 years, and, to our knowledge, this is the first time he has done this to us. At our first glance, yes, this was a hell of a deal! $23,980 off of the original price is a deal man, I don't care what you say. The problem was that there was a better deal out there that we were absolutely unaware of. This isn't just some hunt I pulled off of the internet and tried to make a quick 8 grand off of, this was a mistake on our part in regards to trusting someone whom we have known for years. I apologize if somehow I have offended you or any other poster here, but I posted the email we received from, again, someone we have sent multiple clients with over the last 10 years who because of this we won't be doing business with again.

Nganga, I am not exactly sure where your animosity is coming from. You have definatly been fueling this fire throughout the argument, and for what? Are you taking this hunt? Please, take it at $37,000. Kill your Nyala and bushbuck and post pictures! It's a great hunt, and if we had known that the hunt actually cost $6,000 less than the info we received, we would have offered it for $37,000. I explained the situation to you, offered to send you the original email before I posted it up on AR, and apologized to you personally for some reason or another, and you still choose to sit here and call me a liar on a public forum. I honestly think this shows bad taste my friend. You don't know me from Adam, but many people on this site do. And notice how not one of them has come up and said "Yea, Greg and Jeff have screwed over hunters for years". That's because it doesn't happen. Honesty is a big part of our business. Please try to read outside the lines on this one. Actually, read the lines written on this one. It was a simple mistake, one in which upon discovering I immediately let the facts be known, not because I was caught doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing, because that is not what happened. I apologized because I genuinely felt cheated by the man who we got the hunt offer from, and wanted to try and clear the water on that subject.

To all the people who have defended us or sent me the emails, pms and phone calls, thanks. It's really not a big deal, at least not to me. This will pass and the nice folks here on AR will continue to look for someone else to piss on.

Listen,
I said my piece, had let it go. Now you wish to play the victim card here???? Us as hunters are the potential victims. Sure, we can take it or leave it.

If I take it or leave its MY BOOKING AGENT that knows what's going on. You will never be my booking agent and I'm sure many more here may not throw thier hats into that ring. Go ahead now say, "well I don't want a client like you". You mean one that spends a whole on this shit and is educated enough to check shit out?

Why do you feel the need to give me Jeff Neals resume? want mine? That obviously means something to you. I never mentioned his name.

Like I said. I said what I had to say and let it go, I get back from a nice weekend at the lake and it's still a go?

and I called BULLSHIT, thats different than flat out calling you a liar anyway.

You offered to send me something and asked for my e-mail? what about that PM function

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Greg,

Indeed. The hunt was advertised at $43K and something tells me that if someone had bit it would have been sold to that someone for $43K. In Greg's defense perhaps he didn't know but he obviously also did not check it out thoroughly and a booking agent who does nothing more than post advertisements for hunts based on email solicitations he receives is not someone I would wish to book through. Playing the victim and attempting to cast aspersions on Nganga's motivations for attempting to get to the bottom of this only begs more questions as to what was the original motivation for posting the hunt with an additional $6K markup. To me the claim that the hunt was offered to this one agency by the outfitter at $6K more than the other consultants who advertised it doesn't smell right, an outfitter would have to be crazy to offer the same hunts to different agents at differing prices.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
Don't worry. They spend far, far less AFTER you marry them.

Roll Eyes

Yup Will, with all due respect, I'm not so sure about that one. With mine it was clothes, jewelry etc while dating, a Mercedes and a house (I thought one of our little ranch houses was perfect, she pointed out my miscalculation) after "I do".

Sarcasm. Just a line I pull out any time a single guy talks about how much his girlfriend spends on ______.

Thanks Will for stearing me straight!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Cane Rat said +1.

If one peruses the threads on AR long enough, one will find a lot of threads about cheapest air fare, hotels, trophy shipping, etc. These are largely minuscule differences, in my opinion, that usually don't warrant discussion. It should therefore not surprise anyone that a member here decides to say something when he gets 2 different prices from different sources on the same day for the same exact hunt.

While I am not attempting to disparage Mr Brownlee or otherwise question his integrity, the fact of the matter is that he did post the hunt. He posted the hunt for $6,000 more than a competitor was selling it. It was apparently embarrassing enough that he took the post down. Mr Brownlee is not a victim here. Attacks upon Nganga are not warranted.

For whatever it is worth, my personal opinion is that this was caused by a middleman that added cost but not value to this hunt. I do not believe that Mr Brownlee marked up the hunt. Although, I originally thought he did.

Should he have know that a middleman was involved? I don't know. That is up for you to decide. I would think it would have been a warning sign that the e mail didn't come directly from the safari company.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been almost a year since I did a "cancellation" hunt in Tanzania.

Originally, Wendell posted a 21 day with Luke Samaras for 25K daily rate, with all the extras except TFs and tips thrown in. I wanted the hunt, but apparently was not first. Bummer. Imagine my surprise when I got an email from Atcheson's the next day selling exactly the SAME hunt for 29K. I called about it and was told it was a different hunt, that someone had indeed "cancelled."

Long story short: I bought the hunt, had a great time, but learned in camp that Atcheson's told Samaras he could sell the hunt for more, and Luke bit. Can't blame the guy. Luke told me there was no cancellation - he was selling hunts at a steep discount due to the economic conditions.

At the end of the day, I had a great hunt, but Notlim can attest to the fact I was really, really pissed off about the side deals. If I would have been told up front Atcheson's was marking up the hunt due to the fact they thought they could get that price, fair enough - I still would have bought it. But at the end of the day I felt like I had been lied to. Maybe I over-reacted...wouldnt' be the first time.

BUT, like I said, I had a great hunt and will hunt with Samaras again in 2011. And I won't necessarily not book with Atcheson's (sorry for the double negative Brett). But some how I know Wendell would have given me the straight up deal.

Beware of the term "cancellation hunt." IMO they are mostly bullshit - a better term would be "discounted hunt."

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
sorry for the double negative Brett

I figure I'm bad enough at spelling that I probably shouldn't cast any stones for gramar!!! Until they add "spill chicken" to the site I figure I'm screwed! dancing

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ngana and Rat,
I am looking for a scope. Cabelas sells it for $450 and I see one on Ebay for $430. I find out that a discounter working for Cabelas is selling the same scope on Ebay. Should I never do business with Cabelas again just because I found the same thing somewhere else for a lower price?

This is the same situation as Orbitz or Travelocity with their airline ticket prices.

Greg did the right thing. He laid it out to you privately and you chose to disclose that PM on this public forum. I find that and your double identity a bit two faced. You two are pissed but have spent no money at all. You are not buyers, you are tire kickers. If you had done your own homework, you would know what a hunt costs and what is a deal and what is not a "good deal". If I were Greg and Jeff I would not sell either of you a hunt or gun (for that matter).

I looked at the same hunt and thought it was a good deal at the offered price. If I had the time, I likely would have taken it. Even if I had found out about the different pricing - I would have gone, shot those great animals and had a great hunt using an excellent agent and outfit.

I would rather pay too much for a hunt and get what I am after than pay too little and whine about getting what I paid for.

I do not understand your mentality.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hold it dogcat, Cane Rat's post was dated June 1, since then he has had a complete change of heart. He hasn't actually repented or anything silly like that, but he says he is a changed man, just like Nganga. I guess to put it succinctly, they have both "Been Saved"! Cut them some slack please.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
Thanks for reminding me. At least Balaam had his donkey to keep him honest.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Some of the above commentary is provocative to say the least.

Dogcat. You quote 'I do not understand your mentality' and exactly where do you get off calling people tire kickers? You continue to brand them as a duo and openly seek confrontation knowing full well their predicament. You might want to make this a trio as Steve is a friend of mine and whilst I do not agree with all he has to say, this is a forum and he has just as much right as you to express doubt or cast opinion, as many of us (and not just these two) have done on the same topic. You spit on him mate and I will spit at you and it matters not to me if I get hit with the ban hammer, but it might to you? Pratt.

Also Peter you might want to drastically edit that obnoxious little sermon that you preach after your posts.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Don't worry. They spend far, far less AFTER you marry them.[/QUOTE]

please please please tell me your secret.....marriage = thinner wallet fatter wife Big Grin

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fairgame, I am sorry that you find my "sermon" obnoxious. It is actually not a sermon but a quote from the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" which, I must admit, I enjoyed. Obviously others don't share your view as I have had a few PM's asking where the quote came from. Perhaps you could share with me exactly which phrases you find obnoxious? Is it:
Be without fear....?
Be brave and upright...?
Speak the truth always...?
I am sure what you find most obnoxious is the phrase "safeguard the helpless...." after all, their plight is almost certainly their own fault and therefore they deserve it!
Actually it is time that I change it, so, in deference to you, I will. Of course there is no telling whether you will like the new one! In closing, it was not my attempt to be provocative, just inject a little humor. Obviously I did not succeed. My apologies to you.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
fairgame, I am sorry that you find my "sermon" obnoxious. It is actually not a sermon but a quote from the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" which, I must admit, I enjoyed. Obviously others don't share your view as I have had a few PM's asking where the quote came from. Perhaps you could share with me exactly which phrases you find obnoxious? Is it:
Be without fear....?
Be brave and upright...?
Speak the truth always...?
I am sure what you find most obnoxious is the phrase "safeguard the helpless...." after all, their plight is almost certainly their own fault and therefore they deserve it!
Actually it is time that I change it, so, in deference to you, I will. Of course there is no telling whether you will like the new one! In closing, it was not my attempt to be provocative, just inject a little humor. Obviously I did not succeed. My apologies to you.
Peter.

Then sorry to your sir as I read it as provocative and riddled with sarcasm. Very brave and upright.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very brave and upright

fairgame, easy to do on the Internet!!!!!
PAX!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
Very brave and upright

fairgame, easy to do on the Internet!!!!!
PAX!
Peter.

My sentiments exactly. Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Greg did the right thing. He laid it out to you privately and you chose to disclose that PM on this public forum. I find that and your double identity a bit two faced. You two are pissed but have spent no money at all. You are not buyers, you are tire kickers. If you had done your own homework, you would know what a hunt costs and what is a deal and what is not a "good deal". If I were Greg and Jeff I would not sell either of you a hunt or gun (for that matter).

It would be hard to call Nganga a tire kicker. He did not get all those trophies from a garage sale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Although you and me disagree on dogs, do not kick it when it is down.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane,

Actually Andrew...the more I have gotten to know you...the better able I am to see your point on dogs after leopard. I just happen to like dog hunting and have been around it all my life. Now...I know your heart is in the right place. Wink

But what am I kicking???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can certainly understand why some people would be upset with Andy and Steve over the pre-ban behavior. Me included. However, don't let that cloud your judgment on this issue.

Imagine this. What if one day you came home and saw a for sale sign on your neighbors house. The next day you get your mail and there are flyers from two different Realtors for the same house. One of them offers to sell the house for $500,000 and the next offers to sell the same house for $600,000. What would you think? This is pretty much what happened in this case.

After seeing the pictures of Steve's trophy room, I seriously doubt that he is a broke tire kicker.

Give them all the hell you want for the pre-ban behavior. It is justified. However, I think he is perfectly justified in bringing this up. I have to admit that I got the same things he got. I thought the same thing he did. This discussion has been valuable(at least to me). I have now learned that there are middlemen that add to the cost of a hunt but not to the value of the hunt. I made my first trip to Africa in 1988. I really didn't think I could get surprised. Well, this surprised me.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Lane,

Actually Andrew...the more I have gotten to know you...the better able I am to see your point on dogs after leopard. I just happen to like dog hunting and have been around it all my life. Now...I know your heart is in the right place. Wink

But what am I kicking???

Lane,

This was not directed at you as such. One of my best mates is a Staffordshire bull terrier. He is currently under my feet chewing on a piece of furniture. My wife hates him and fortunately does not know how to handled a gun.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I can certainly understand why some people would be upset with Andy and Steve over the pre-ban behavior. Me included. However, don't let that cloud your judgment on this issue.

Imagine this. What if one day you came home and saw a for sale sign on your neighbors house. The next day you get your mail and there are flyers from two different Realtors for the same house. One of them offers to sell the house for $500,000 and the next offers to sell the same house for $600,000. What would you think? This is pretty much what happened in this case.

After seeing the pictures of Steve's trophy room, I seriously doubt that he is a broke tire kicker.

Give them all the hell you want for the pre-ban behavior. It is justified. However, I think he is perfectly justified in bringing this up. I have to admit that I got the same things he got. I thought the same thing he did. This discussion has been valuable(at least to me). I have now learned that there are middlemen that add to the cost of a hunt but not to the value of the hunt. I made my first trip to Africa in 1988. I really didn't think I could get surprised. Well, this surprised me.

To post and then quickly delete something is a bit odd. Then again we are only human.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was not directed at you as such. One of my best mates is a Staffordshire bull terrier. He is currently under my feet chewing on a piece of furniture. My wife hates him and fortunately does not know how to handled a gun.

Nothing more loyal!!! When I was a tyke...I had one that went everywhere with me. Twice...she jumped on a rattlesnake and killed it to keep me safe. She took several bites each time and was sick for weeks but...if it was a danger to me...she tied into it with NO regard for her own well being.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Nothing more loyal!!! When I was a tyke...I had one that went everywhere with me. Twice...she jumped on a rattlesnake and killed it to keep me safe. She took several bites each time and was sick for weeks but...if it was a danger to me...she tied into it with NO regard for her own well being.

My first took on pack of ten and managed to take down five with him before his demise. The second was a cobra and the third is still young but cutting his teeth on our furniture and should be ready to take on the world soon.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
took on pack of ten

ten what?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Picture of Jack Atcheson Jr
posted Hide Post
Jack Atcheson Jr here, replying to AnotherAZWriter's June 6, 2010 post.

Here are facts on this gentlemans's booking.

1) Luke Samaras did offer one cancelled hunt to Jack Atcheson & Sons, he spelled out the only dates that the cancellation hunt could occur, precisely Sept 4-25 2010, we also were offering a 21 day hunt in the same area to be taken at any date for $43000, standard rate was $57000.

2) AnotherAZWriter had a Dec, 2009 Masailand Buffalo hunt already booked with Luke Samaras by another agent.

3) AnotherAZWriter called me on Aug 7 2009 about the Samaras offer listed in our early August cancellation and discount flyer. AnotherAZWriter explained he had a Dec, 2009 Masailand Buffalo hunt already booked with Luke Samaras by another agent. He told me his agent was out of touch and he requested that I contact Luke Samaras in his behalf and ask that the funds from his Dec 2009 Masailand Buffalo be moved to 2011. I was able to work the details with Samaras out allowing all of AnotherAZWriters funds for the Dec 2009 (that I did not book)to be moved to 2011, with no cancellation fee.

4) AnotherAZWriter booked and paid for the cancelled safari 2009, 23 days before his departure. We organised all the travel details permits etc... in those 23 days, the client goes on to take a huge lion, leopard, elephant and a couple a buffalo.

Jack Atcheson and Sons have been in business for 55 years and I have been booking hunts for 40 years. AnotherAZWriter writes about lies, side deals and bullshit, you don't stay in this business that long without giving clients the "straight up". I think I would be crazy to deal with AnotherAZWriter again, don't you think so as well?

Jack Atcheson Jr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally, the truth comes out.

Jack, you and your family are well respected and outstanding at what you do. You can do without AnotherAZWriter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Welcome to AR!

What exactly did I say that is untrue? Did I not pay 4K for the same hunt Wendell sold? Luke told me the term "cancelled" hunt is often used as marketing ploy. If you want, I am happy to post exactly what he told me in camp.

None of the PHs in camp had any plans to do a Sept Selous hunt until Notlim and I booked hunts. One would think a cancelled hunt in early August would have seen them knowing they were going to hunt. For them, it was a last minute hunt.

I stated in my post I may be overreacting. I said I FELT like I had been lied to. But the bottom line is I paid more for this hunt than I would have with Wendell. Consider this: Notlim and I had exactly the same dates, on the same charter. All of his extras (charter, dip/pack, etc.) were included - just like me. It doesn't pass the laugh test that two guys booked this hunt with Luke, they both prepaid stuff that no one prepays (no one has to prepay dip/pack!), except one paid 4K more, resulting in a lower price for Notlim. If this really was a discount hunt booked by two guys who were hunting partners, why would they prepay different amounts? And if they were unrelated, why did they decide to prepay exactly the same items, with the exception that one guy prepaid 4K more?

I would love to find the booking agent who sold these two "cancelled" hunts. I know it wasn't you, it wasn't Wendell, it wasn't Mark...hey, maybe we can identify these two hunters and they can post here and tell us what really happened.

The thread here was about booking agents charging different fees for the hunt. That certainly was what I posted about. What is an indisputable fact is that I paid more for the same hunt than another guy who used a different agent. But I was happy to do the hunt at that price. What I wasn't happy about was fact Luke told me this hunt was not a cancellation. The bottom line is I had a great hunt. I had a great hunt with one of your operators in 2007. You were happy to use my moose pic in your catalog a few years ago without my permission but I didn't complain. But both of these hunts are also sold by various other booking agents, so if you want to drop me as a client, only say the word and I will move on. I wish you the best.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Agree with Dogcat, for a change. Welcome and regards to Keith and family.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Despite the fact that topics such as this one arise periodically, I continue to learn from them. It is like peeling layers from an onion! Wouldn't it be nice if someone told us what is really going on between booking agents, outfitters, PH's etc? I suspect that part of the "problem" is that hunters like to regard their agents, outfitters, PH's as"best buddies" rather than folks conducting a business. I certainly do not consider my car salesman as a "best buddy" even though he sends me a birthday card every year!
Just my 2 cents, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
remind me to tell you about my bull dog some time she was great too.

on a note regarding this thread. I have just reseved an PM from a memeber her who was told there are no lesser kudu in Uganda!!!!!!! by a agent in France. The only thing I can figure out it the agent wanted to send the guy to a friend or he did not know there are kudu on quota with the guys from Karamoja

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Jack Atcheson Jr
posted Hide Post
Jqck Atcheson Jr again,

With focus still on facts, AnotherAZWriter, if there were two $25000 safaris available, why did your agent not sell you one of these safaris, you called him before you me.

AnotherAZWriter also writes "I had a great hunt with one of your operators in 2007. You were happy to use my moose pic in your catalog a few years ago without my permission but I didn't complain." Our Jack Atcheson & Sons Money Receipt/ Agreement/Conditions and Release of liability contract clearly states "Client further agrees that photos, letters, or commentaries sent or relayed to Atcheson may be used as promotional material in future advertizing. AnotherAZWriter has booked two hunts with Atcheson's and signed this contract with this condition in both cases.

Regards to all,

Jack Atcheson Jr.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I had a great hunt. You do a good job. I was a bit miffed at the conflicting tales. And to be honest, to your credit, if I recall the facts, the extra money I paid went to Luke, based on the story he told me. The whole thing wasn't about the money; hell, I left almost $10K in tips. My beef is the characterization of discount vs cancelled hunts. If the majority of folks here think I am making a mountain out of a molehill, I will gladly strike my tent and admit I was making a big deal out of nothing. We all criticize each other on this site but few of us take it personally. I like Ford pickup trucks, but does that mean I can't complain/criticize them?

I am no expert, but it seems to me if Luke had two hunts, one that he needed to get 25K for and one he needed 29K, he would have sold two for 27K. Why not sell one for 34K and one for 20K? Makes no sense. They both came out the same day, assuming your hunt appeared in your paid subscriber discount/cancelled hunt list the day before I received it.

If you hang out on AR you will have seen that I have spoken highly of you in general. And if I had some kind of vendetta, I would have posted something under the hunting report section. No where in this post did I write "Never hunt with Atchesons."

If you want to continue the dialog on this site, I would be happy to do so, but I don't think it will do any of us any good. You have me my email and phone number if you wish to contact me. Again, best of luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAW & Others - Obviously I started this thread in hopes of clearing the air on some of the things that agents deal with daily, and a little info on how prices or arrangements from one agent to another are occasionally different. I won't go into all of that again, but you can always read my previous posts if you want to.

AAW, you and I have discussed a few hunts in the past, and in fact, you need to let me know if you drew your NM elk tag? I of course have no clue what transpired between you and the Atchesons, nor is it my business quite frankly.

The one thing I do know however, is at the TOP of the LIST of all the experienced, qualified, honest & reputable hunting agents in the world, Jack Jr. & Keith, have no equal!! Their father was the founder of "agents", and they continue to this day with his fine reputation still intact. Fact is, I owe a lot of my success to them, Jack Jr., especially! As a fledgling agent, he provided me loads of advice, even sometimes offering me outfitters or hunts to sell, without asking for even the slightest bit of commission in return. As a youngster, he booked my very first African Safari, and my first Alaskan Brown Bear hunt, many years ago. Without question, their business practices are beyond reproach, and their experience is 2nd to none. AAW, now I can read your posts, and obviously you are not saying anything to the contrary, but I just felt the need to express to those that didn't know, what a class act the Atcheson's really are.

This is just another prime example of how things can sometimes get confused or muttered along the way. But if the buyer will always stick with, and use a reputable agent, any mistake that is possibly made along the way, will ALWAYS be corrected. Not that anyone here made a mistake or not, I don't know all the facts.

But this I do know. Guys, you would be surprised how much "Pull" agents have with outfitters, especially those they work with alot. I'll guarantee you, I can get things done with many of the outfitters I work with that the individual hunter never could. Thus, I use that "pull", to ensure my clients get what they are expecting, and get the preferential treatment, I expect them to get. Using a respected and more importantly, QUALIFIED & EXPERIENCED, agent is in my opinion, the best way to go.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZwriter,
You just managed to get yourself fired by one of the best agents in the business.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!
diggin