THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
When I believe I said something false...I always retract it and apologize.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No wonder the antis are winning. We continue to eat each other.....Divide and conquer is alive and well.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true. You cannot "train" anyone to be ethical.

The ZPHGA goes a long way toward trying to maintain ethical behaviour, but membership in ZPHGA/SOAZ is not a pre-requisite to becoming a licensed PH, so many professionals are not members.

In the end, it comes down to what an individual is prepared to accept as right or wrong if it's not quantified by law.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
the Zim training for PH's weeds out the unethical.

The above statement is not correct.

There have been a number of Zimbabwe professional hunters who have been nothing but crooks!

You have been lucky, as many of us have, for hunting with decent people.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There has been a number of professional hunters in Zimbabwe with questionable practices who are no longer members of this organization.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66992 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
Very true. You cannot "train" anyone to be ethical.

The ZPHGA goes a long way toward trying to maintain ethical behaviour, but membership in ZPHGA/SOAZ is not a pre-requisite to becoming a licensed PH, so many professionals are not members.

In the end, it comes down to what an individual is prepared to accept as right or wrong if it's not quantified by law.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
the Zim training for PH's weeds out the unethical.

The above statement is not correct.

There have been a number of Zimbabwe professional hunters who have been nothing but crooks!

You have been lucky, as many of us have, for hunting with decent people.

That's like saying "Law School weeds out the unethical" LOL

Most people's ethics change on a minute-by-minute basis, depends on how hungry you are, IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, been away for while, may as well chime into this like everyone else......whats that saying.....?? You shouldn't s**t on your own doorstep..... dancing !!!

MP doing well bud.... 3 controversial things recently. All legal but hey...

1. Musango Bull
2. Bumi Lion (Yes I know Lions move up and down the lake, but the Greenies made a huge song and dance about it arriving there, and then you baited it legally (in your area) and blitzed it)
3. Bull shot outside Gonaz

Those that have shot Ele's, and we all know, that if you can get close to check the potential tusk weight, you can see a collar, don't care what anyone says. Google the Musango bull, and others, and you'll see the thing hanging off it like a cow bell (P.S. I know lion ones are smaller)

Where has the "Professional" hunter gone... sigh!!

Time for Zim Parks to change laws so that all is clear and we get less attack from the Greenies.

Have a good Easter everyone, stay safe.

Posts: 43 | Location: zim | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how did Martin’s meeting go with the ZPHGA?

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those that have shot Ele's, and we all know, that if you can get close to check the potential tusk weight, you can see a collar, don't care what anyone says.

And for those who don't know what an Elephant Tracking Collar looks like, try searching on Google images.

Its an obscene contraption that I would dearly love to lock around the necks or waists of the same people that put them on animals.

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting if someone can find a photo of this elephant with his collar on.

Posts: 66992 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The word I get is that Martin was suspended by the ZPHGA. In addition, he resigned from the executive committee.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
I drew a CA Desert Bighorn permit in 2009. During the mandatory orientation class, the biologist explained to us that there were several mature rams that had collars and said:

"If you see a big ram with a radio collar, it is perfectly fine to take that ram. Just please pack the collar out and return it to me. And be aware, sometimes the hair under the collar is rubbed off."
And that's in CALIFORNIA for God's sake. By ANYONE'S estimation, the most politically correct state that even HAS a Desert Bighorn!

Where is the “Like” button! The purpose of collaring an animal is to study its life and habits and movement AND it’s mortality. So if an animal is killed by a hunter that is a valuable piece of data for a long term study.

100% agree. I had a large but young leopard on bait in the Bubye several years ago. He was collared, and the English researcher conducting the study informed us that the collar shouldn't be a factor in determining whether to take the cat (aside from the hair rub issue), as the data from hunting offtake was part of the studied ecosystem. (the cat was too young, and we elected not to take him anyway)

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From ZPHGA:

Dear members
After an amicable meeting with Martin Pieters, he has been issued with a FINAL WARNING for the shooting of a 2nd Animal of Significance.
Further he was given an Immediate SUSPENSION pending further investigations and an appeal by him. Ref. Section . 7 a) of the constitution.

7) MISCONDUCT OF MEMBERS:

If any member in the opinion of the Executive Committee:-
a) Is guilty of improper or dishonest conduct unbecoming or prejudicial to the interest and reputation of the Association.

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
I drew a CA Desert Bighorn permit in 2009. During the mandatory orientation class, the biologist explained to us that there were several mature rams that had collars and said:

"If you see a big ram with a radio collar, it is perfectly fine to take that ram. Just please pack the collar out and return it to me. And be aware, sometimes the hair under the collar is rubbed off."
And that's in CALIFORNIA for God's sake. By ANYONE'S estimation, the most politically correct state that even HAS a Desert Bighorn!

Where is the “Like” button! The purpose of collaring an animal is to study its life and habits and movement AND it’s mortality. So if an animal is killed by a hunter that is a valuable piece of data for a long term study.

100% agree. I had a large but young leopard on bait in the Bubye several years ago. He was collared, and the English researcher conducting the study informed us that the collar shouldn't be a factor in determining whether to take the cat (aside from the hair rub issue), as the data from hunting offtake was part of the studied ecosystem. (the cat was too young, and we elected not to take him anyway)

Stuff that happens in the BVC is by no way comparable to what happens on the border of Gonarezhou.

The BVC put that collar on the leopard themselves (via Paul Trethowan's research team).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just happened upon this thread and recalled a Capstick story of hunter named Barry Brooks back in the early 1960's. The hunter came upon a very large tusked bull. Eventually as they closed in for the shot, Brooks unloaded his double rifle, took aim and pulled the trigger twice. Then spent time photographing the bull and walked away. In this era, should we all be considering this in all our pursuits given the climate change and effect on wildlife?

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375er:
I just happened upon this thread and recalled a Capstick story of hunter named Barry Brooks back in the early 1960's. The hunter came upon a very large tusked bull. Eventually as they closed in for the shot, Brooks unloaded his double rifle, took aim and pulled the trigger twice. Then spent time photographing the bull and walked away. In this era, should we all be considering this in all our pursuits given the climate change and effect on wildlife?

WTF!!!

Short Answer? NO!

Longer Answer? HELL NO!!!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be we are missing the point here?

I was told that a collar on an old elephant of significant importance is two fold.

To study it, and to preserve it.

Anyone who actually thinks that shooting one and then sending the collar to the research center should not be hunting elephants.

I saw some collars on elephants in photos in the past, and these are enormous!

Some seem to have a sort of ball for the satellite receiver on top, which is really very hard to miss.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
In Africa anything can be made legal as this was done, but the stench is overpowering thumbdown

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
In Africa anything can be made legal as this was done, but the stench is overpowering thumbdown

And that Bal is really the point. Call it ethics, call it good judgment, call it acting responsibly . . . or call it not doing something that stinks . . . the point is that the public will tolerate a lot but not behavour that stinks. Shooting a second collared elephant, and shooting it in an area adjacent to a national park, then claiming, like you did on the first collared elephant that you just could not see the collar, just stinks. Shooting pen raised lions that are released and hunted within hours or days of being released, just stinks. And when we try to defend the actions on the basis that they are legal, the public concludes that we stink too.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

And that Bal is really the point. Call it ethics, call it good judgment, call it acting responsibly . . . or call it not doing something that stinks . . . the point is that the public will tolerate a lot but not behavour that stinks. Shooting a second collared elephant, and shooting it in an area adjacent to a national park, then claiming, like you did on the first collared elephant that you just could not see the collar, just stinks. Shooting pen raised lions that are released and hunted within hours or days of being released, just stinks. And when we try to defend the actions on the basis that they are legal, the public concludes that we stink too.

Well spoken buddy, you can cover up crap but it still stinks !!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I wonder how bad the public thinks we stink for shooting pregnant female elephants?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

I wonder how bad the public thinks we stink for shooting pregnant female elephants?

Wow!! Somebody woke up Todd. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have no problem defending the conservation benefits of hunting female animals, elephant, lion, elk . . . does . . . and I would far rather defend that practice to the public versus either of the practices mentioned. The reality is that there is not any general public outcry over shooting does or cows, in fact, what limited noise there is on shooting does and cows generally comes from other hunters. In terms of public outcry over shooting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions, that seems to be another story . . . the public gets upset and the hunters are fine with it. Sort of ironic.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have no problem defending the conservation benefits of hunting female animals, elephant, lion, elk . . . does . . . and I would far rather defend that practice to the public versus either of the practices mentioned. The reality is that there is not any general public outcry over shooting does or cows, in fact, what limited noise there is on shooting does and cows generally comes from other hunters. In terms of public outcry over shooting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions, that seems to be another story . . . the public gets upset and the hunters are fine with it. Sort of ironic.

Yes you have no problem because you have done it. It still gives us a bad look based on why shooting a collared elephant is wrong to. I am sure the anti's would hate hearing how a pregent elephant was shot just as much as one with a collar. Worse yet would be people on the fence if they heard collared bull elephant or pregnant female.I think one sounds far worse to me since we are so worried about the public look.

If we are so worried about what some think we should watch everything they may not like. Oh wait we would need to give up hunting then. Some of you are to much how you will take a side based on your own likes or dislikes but not stand for all hunting that is legal.
Yes though I do not believe in taking of female animals I do know it most be done so I even support your right to hunt one even though I know overall it may hurt us.

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So there's conservation benefit to killing a pregnant cow elephant and bull elephants unless the bull is wearing a tracking collar?

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
And THAT my friends, is the exact problem I have with the "My Ethics are Superior to Yours" group.

This group claims the moral high ground right up to the point where their own ethics are called into question, at which time it reverts back to "It has a conservation benefit", which is another way of saying "It's LEAGAL".

Sometimes the sanctimonious BS just gets a little too deep.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So . . . does hunting female animals not have any conservation benefits? Of course it does. Like I said, the public apparently understands the distinction between hunting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions versus hunting female animals . . . and apparently so does ZPHGA . . . it is some hunters that do not appreciate the distinction it seems.

Mike

posted Hide Post
quote:
So . . . does hunting female animals not have any conservation benefits? Of course it does. Like I said, the public apparently understands the distinction between hunting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions versus hunting female animals . . . and apparently so does ZPHGA . . . it is some hunters that do not appreciate the distinction it seems.

You deflected from my question. I didn't say shooting females animals had no conservation benefits.

My question again worded differently is does the conservation benefit of shooting a bull elephant disappear if its wearing a collar?

But back to females. If the public became more aware you were shooting pregnant female elephants and were in an uproar over it, would you stop hunting cow elephants?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no mistaking that across Africa elephant numbers have decreased alarmingly. This includes some historical hunting areas.

In my mind hunting cow elephant creates the following concerns:

1) shooting cows in herds is accepted as making those herd animals more aggressive. In places in Zimbabwe this would lend itself to those herd animals having more human conflict and more animals (cows) are shot on PAC.

2) cow elephant never go through menopause. They either have a calf in some state of dependency, are pregnant, or capable of being pregnant. Thus, to kill a cow is to kill a breeder. Do we need as many vreeders as we can get?

Ultimately, science based information is what should, and I hope does, determine whether cows should be on quota for a given concession in a host nation. If professional biologists tell me this area has X number of elephant, and the carrying capacity is this number, and this is the ecological damage being done by this z number of too many elephant, then quota should be issued. The general public would be apathetic, but not damning to such science.

The concession holder and host nation should have some voice in what those numbers are. However, those numbers would have to be verified independently by professional scientist, the US Government, and CIITES.

The result would be some concessions it would be against conservation to issue cow quota or shoot cows unnecessarily. In others quota should be issued.

The fact remains that no independent, scientific information is readily available to support or defend issuance of a cow quota. Those studies and like studies for lion are we're our money for hunting conservation needs to go. The PR side of it is to distribute that information. Yes, when such studies say folks the math does not justify to killing as it is being done now for a given area. Instead of decrying greenie science we need to recalibrate what we are doing.

Posters on this this thread have been hostile to the intentions of the Frankfurt group. Frankfurt group has been very polite in this controversy to hunting upto this point. I appreciate them for that. We aligenate these folks at our own risk.

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:

If the public became more aware you were shooting pregnant female elephants and were in an uproar over it, would you stop hunting cow elephants?

Of course. Why would anyone persist in an activity that is widely condemned by a broad cross section of the public? We adapt our behaviors constantly in the face of changing public perceptions and evolving views of right and wrong. I do not have to be told that something is illegal for me to understand that I need to stop doing it. I would, however, have no problem or hesitation defending the practice of hunting female animals on the basis of the conservation benefits associated with doing so. I cannot say the same for the practice of pen raised lion hunting or hunting collared animals along national park boundaries. If you can, that is your prerogative.

Mike

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:

If the public became more aware you were shooting pregnant female elephants and were in an uproar over it, would you stop hunting cow elephants?

Of course. Why would anyone persist in an activity that is widely condemned by a broad cross section of the public? We adapt our behaviors constantly in the face of changing public perceptions and evolving views of right and wrong. I do not have to be told that something is illegal for me to understand that I need to stop doing it. I would, however, have no problem or hesitation defending the practice of hunting female animals on the basis of the conservation benefits associated with doing so. I cannot say the same for the practice of pen raised lion hunting or hunting collared animals along national park boundaries. If you can, that is your prerogative.

Just trying to understand your point of view. I think it's sad however that ultimately what you think is right from a conservation standpoint, you would allow to be put into jeopardy because of public opinion, i.e. not science and what's best for the wildlife. But that's certainly your prerogative.

It's not that I'm completely averse to taking into account public opinion, you have good points for doing so. But in the end what is right isn't always popular. You have to draw a line somewhere.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And I would hope that before there was broad public condemnation of the practice of the quota controlled hunting of female animals there would be a robust and informed debate of the issue and the conservation benefits of such hunting could be pointed out and understood. In the case of the selective hunting of female animals, I think science and conservation would prevail. Which is one reason why I believe there is not currently an ongoing public uproar over hunting does, cows, hinds, etc.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Maybe I see things a bit different. Lets put ethics aside for a moment and consider the facts. Shooting a collared elephant was 100% legal when this took place. If this is such a P.R disaster for Zim and its hunting industry, why does not the Government of Zimbabwe pass a law making it illegal? I think we all realize that, with the stroke of a pen, they can do whatever they want and have done so many times in the past. If the professional hunters association believes that the aforementioned law would be to everyones benefit, they can petition the government themselves to add weight to the issue. If not, there is no issue, why? because without laws, there will always be someone(many) that will do what they want, as long as it is legal. All the emotion and finger-pointing is a waste of time, if it is that important, change the law.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like I said, the public apparently understands the distinction between hunting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions versus hunting female animals

We all know and agree the general public is grossly misinformed or simply uninformed as to the conservation benefits of hunting.

Within that context, and the context of the EMOTIONAL underpinnings of the general public's opinion on the subject of hunting in general, anyone who believes the masses object more to the shooting of a collared animal over the shooting of a PREGNANT FEMALE is in serious denial!

And the "can't see the forrest for the trees" message here is that the guy who has probably shot more tuskless cows than anyone on the forum, remembering they are all pregnant or else nursing dependent calves, is oblivious to the fact he is living in a glass house on the ethics issue due to this very topic.

I argue that a conservation message can also be made for shooting a collared bull near a park. That argument being the reason for hunting blocks surrounding the park in the first place being a construct for off take of animals in excess of the carrying capacity of the park. As has been stated here and other places on this forum when discussing the collaring and studying of animals, the fact that the animal moved into a hunting block and was taken by legal hunting means should be nothing more than a data point in the research study ... that is unless the reason for placing the collar had other motivations than pure research in the first place.

I know well the conservation argument for shooting tuskless cows, which are all pregnant. I can make that very strong argument as well if given the opportunity. But I'll guarantee you that when placing the Pregnant Female vs Collared Bull topics placed side by side, the shooting of Pregnant Female elephants will rate far higher on the public's scale of offensiveness! I'd go so far as to say it isn't even a close comparison.

Just to be clear, I've shot a few tuskless cow elephants, which are all pregnant. I will probably do so again as I fully understand the conservation narrative. But then again, I'm not the guy here telling others that my ethics are superior to everyone else's and that you will either conform to MY standards or watch your hunting rights disappear completely.

Carry on. I'm out!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
There is no mistaking that across Africa elephant numbers have decreased alarmingly. This includes some historical hunting areas.

1) shooting cows in herds is accepted as making those herd animals more aggressive. In places in Zimbabwe this would lend itself to those herd animals having more human conflict and more animals (cows) are shot on PAC.

2) cow elephant never go through menopause. They either have a calf in some state of dependency, are pregnant, or capable of being pregnant. Thus, to kill a cow is to kill a breeder. Do we need as many vreeders as we can get?

Ultimately, science based information is what should, and I hope does, determine whether cows should be on quota for a given concession in a host nation. If professional biologists tell me this area has X number of elephant, and the carrying capacity is this number, and this is the ecological damage being done by this z number of too many elephant, then quota should be issued. The general public would be apathetic, but not damning to such science.

The concession holder and host nation should have some voice in what those numbers are. However, those numbers would have to be verified independently by professional scientist, the US Government, and CIITES.

The result would be some concessions it would be against conservation to issue cow quota or shoot cows unnecessarily. In others quota should be issued.

The fact remains that no independent, scientific information is readily available to support or defend issuance of a cow quota. Those studies and like studies for lion are we're our money for hunting conservation needs to go. The PR side of it is to distribute that information. Yes, when such studies say folks the math does not justify to killing as it is being done now for a given area. Instead of decrying greenie science we need to recalibrate what we are doing.

Posters on this this thread have been hostile to the intentions of the Frankfurt group. Frankfurt group has been very polite in this controversy to hunting upto this point. I appreciate them for that. We aligenate these folks at our own risk.

Zimbabwe's elephant population is roughly double the carrying capacity of the country based up what the experts think. Some of the experts openly advocate large scale culling due to the damage being done.

Conservation isn't just about a single species.

With double the carrying capacity of the country, why wouldn't cows be shot? It makes the most sense.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hunting is not a right, it is a privilege. As such the sport exists at the will of the public. If we are tone deaf to public perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not . . . our hunting privileges will disappear or continue to be curtailed. That is simply reality.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Zimbabwe's elephant population is roughly double the carrying capacity of the country based up what the experts think. Some of the experts openly advocate large scale culling due to the damage being done.

Conservation isn't just about a single species.

With double the carrying capacity of the country, why wouldn't cows be shot? It makes the most sense.

Thank you Mr. Shores. I believe that but us rank and file and concession holders need that independent, scientific data. Sadly, we do not have it. That data from secentfic professionals needs to be communicated to the masses before a crisis happens effectively throug traditional and new social media. That is not happening.

The stated and accepted number of elephant is 350,000 as of 2016. We can argue with that number, but that is the number to majority of scientists and the public accepts. I think Zimbabwe may have 100k to 125k. Where and how are those animals concentrated through out Zimbabwe? What is the mortality rate in a given area, how many in a given area is too many? What damage is being done by too high a concentration of elephant? How much does the Cow quota balance this or subsidies habitat? This information has to be verified by a third source. I do not trust any count done by Zimbabwe.

These specific hard numbers is what we need. It is what I would need to see before booking a cow elephant hunt.

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting is not a right, it is a privilege. As such the sport exists at the will of the public. If we are tone deaf to public perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not . . . our hunting privileges will disappear or continue to be curtailed. That is simply reality.

Agreed. That is the point of ethics.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
The public drives by dead animals daily. Road kill is strung from coast to coast. They don’t think a thing about it unless their car is damaged. They uproar starts with animals they see (or are told) are/is iconic. You can shoot does all season long, shoot an albino(and here is the key) put it on the internet and stand back from the inevitable inferno. The truth is they really don’t care about animals. They are much to busy. There is lots of things for them to be enraged by and they rarely miss an opportunity. Where is the uproar for the ones that died yesterday, today, or tomorrow? My God the last Northern White Rhino bull dies of old age and barely a blip. We absolutely need to get on the same page as hunters. Why not make the collars blaze orange so they won’t be shot by mistake? !!!Yeah right!!! Because legal Hunting is not the problem. Not even close

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The irony of it all is that shoot a wild lion or elephant with a collar & God forbid a name & the world is in uproar but no bugger says a word about the cruelty of religious slaughter.