THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slim buttes:
So does there need to be a slot limit like they do for some fisheries. Elephants from 40lbs to 60lbs. Sounds like a nightmare to me if I were a PH.

How would it effect hunting elephants if one knew one couldn't shoot a large one, since now we need to ensure someone can take a photo.

Make elephant hunting so complicated as to make it impractical. No thanks.

Allowing a collar to be a "thing" is only the beginning. Next all those elephants being photographed whether collared or not will also get a name I imagine and therefore will also be off limits.

It certainly is not rocket science, but it does require rational/logical argument. Although the equation showing the benefits of elephant hunting compared to elephant tourism might be enlightening. Aren't there elephants to photograph because of hunters?

In concessions boardering Kruger you cannot shot an elephant over 75 pounds.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I actually think that a slot limit on ivory is not a bad idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
We have plenty of laws . . . what we have a shortage of is good judgment. But rest assured if we continue to exercise poor judgment, then the laws will change and the result is likely to be more draconian than if we had simply done a better job of just acting responsibly in the first place.

Yes. In essence the “sad statement” made by the increasing number of laws.

posted Hide Post
The latest plan on big Elephants in Zimbabwe will be certain large bulls carrying substantial ivory will be declared as iconic.It is in legislation to draw up A Statuary instrument and between Zpgha .Nat Parks ,non consumptive groups we all agree that certain well known Lions and Elephants will be collared and strictly monitored and when leaving there protected areas and entering a hunting concession the operators/ph notified and these are definitely off limits.We hoping for a specific bright collar to help identify it more easily.This way it allows the research to continue to collar animals that if roam into hunting concessions will be fair game.This way will prevent a sudden rush to collar every animal hoping it gets protected.It will be a nightmare to put a weight limit as nerve cavity impossible to judge ,,,they tried this in Mozambique if my memory correct and there were major issues.

Posts: 11 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 02 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, we sure let antis rule us
I get the laws, rules and ethics but where did the hunt go?
With that said, good luck with elephant hunting

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Check this pic & note not only the dart in his arse but also the fact the pic was taken in good light

BS ... its just your imagination - there ain't no collar nor a dart on its arse.

You sure you haven't been at the green pipe again? Big Grin

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Put a bright easily noticed collar on and while your at it have a spotter plane help the poachers as well.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Everything about this collar talk is turning me off Hunting elephants. Congrats

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I look at this situation from all sides and I see valid points from many.I can't get angry at anyone over this.The only thing that bothers me is when I see hunters rushing to incriminate other hunters.With all the pressure from antis trying to ban hunting and firearms, I would be very careful in condemning a hunter.You can bet if there has been anything done wrong we will all pay for it.I know some don't care and after reading some posts here and there I feel some wouldn't mind at all if the antis succeeded.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who benefits from yet more bad news,not the hunting community.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With telemetry collars on all the big bulls does anyone want to wager how long it will take the poaching industry to get(buy) the frequencies? Good grief!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So does there need to be a slot limit like they do for some fisheries. Elephants from 40lbs to 60lbs. Sounds like a nightmare to me if I were a PH.

How would it effect hunting elephants if one knew one couldn't shoot a large one, since now we need to ensure someone can take a photo.

Make elephant hunting so complicated as to make it impractical. No thanks.

Allowing a collar to be a "thing" is only the beginning. Next all those elephants being photographed whether collared or not will also get a name I imagine and therefore will also be off limits.

It certainly is not rocket science, but it does require rational/logical argument. Although the equation showing the benefits of elephant hunting compared to elephant tourism might be enlightening. Aren't there elephants to photograph because of hunters?

There are places this happens now. The Apnr hunts, greater Kruger areas, some with a forty pound max, some with a seventy pound max and a minimum age limit as well.

And those South African PH's manage it quite well.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Tanzania has had minumum legal weight requirements for tusks & minimum length requirements for leopards for donkey's years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty certain Saeed mentioned his group has not seen a shootable ele bull for 10 plus years now in Tanzania. So at least there another issue is at play.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
I'm pretty certain Saeed mentioned his group has not seen a shootable ele bull for 10 plus years now in Tanzania. So at least there another issue is at play.

"Tanzania has had minumum legal weight requirements for tusks & minimum length requirements for leopards for donkey's years".

TZ has had optional values on ivory: min weight or min length of at least one of the tusks.
Of late it has been applying the min age requirements on Lion so as far as "toeing the line", TZ has been pretty much conforming to regulations from the legal aspect.

Saeed has indeed stated that they have not seen a shootable bull in many years and that would be expected as his concession and the ones immediately adjacent are basically the gateway to poachers from the open areas to the North and West.

On a different note there are still areas other than Parks, within TZ that hold some decent populations of elephant and which would not exclude the presence of shootable material - though not as many as in former times.

Poachers prefer working the herds as they are easier to locate and approach instead of wasting time tracking single or multiple bulls; they also prefer lighter ivory which is more convenient to carry and hide.

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
Thanks Todd for one of the only posts that makes any sense among all of the rumor spreaders and hypocrites.
shane

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Like I said, the public apparently understands the distinction between hunting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions versus hunting female animals

We all know and agree the general public is grossly misinformed or simply uninformed as to the conservation benefits of hunting.

Within that context, and the context of the EMOTIONAL underpinnings of the general public's opinion on the subject of hunting in general, anyone who believes the masses object more to the shooting of a collared animal over the shooting of a PREGNANT FEMALE is in serious denial!

And the "can't see the forrest for the trees" message here is that the guy who has probably shot more tuskless cows than anyone on the forum, remembering they are all pregnant or else nursing dependent calves, is oblivious to the fact he is living in a glass house on the ethics issue due to this very topic.

I argue that a conservation message can also be made for shooting a collared bull near a park. That argument being the reason for hunting blocks surrounding the park in the first place being a construct for off take of animals in excess of the carrying capacity of the park. As has been stated here and other places on this forum when discussing the collaring and studying of animals, the fact that the animal moved into a hunting block and was taken by legal hunting means should be nothing more than a data point in the research study ... that is unless the reason for placing the collar had other motivations than pure research in the first place.

I know well the conservation argument for shooting tuskless cows, which are all pregnant. I can make that very strong argument as well if given the opportunity. But I'll guarantee you that when placing the Pregnant Female vs Collared Bull topics placed side by side, the shooting of Pregnant Female elephants will rate far higher on the public's scale of offensiveness! I'd go so far as to say it isn't even a close comparison.

Just to be clear, I've shot a few tuskless cow elephants, which are all pregnant. I will probably do so again as I fully understand the conservation narrative. But then again, I'm not the guy here telling others that my ethics are superior to everyone else's and that you will either conform to MY standards or watch your hunting rights disappear completely.

Carry on. I'm out!!

I like your thinking and I will continue to exercise my right to do what I want as I see ethical and fit. I don't give a rat's patoot what the general public thinks or some person posting here thinks is the proper PR thing to do.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
It is being reported that a second collared elephant bull has been shot adjacent to Gonarezhou National Park.

“We have met the enemy and he is us.”

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same from my "Whats Apps" conversations.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
It is being reported that a second collared elephant bull has been shot adjacent to Gonarezhou National Park.

Martin working on a Hat Trick?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reading Boddington's latest 10 year book. There are a couple of wild lion hunts Boddington is chronicling of other hunters.

On each hunt they see large males that are probably old enough, but they pass each time bc the group (PH) just can't be sure the make is old enough.

I have no doubt in this thick cover the collar may be missed. What I am asking is that in these adjacent areas where there has been a gentleman's agreement not to shoot the real big collard bulls, is the PH not allow the client to shoot unless he can be 100 percent sure (like with lion) no collar is present.

Does that mean a hunter may go home with an elephant and not the 100 pounder probably. But since when did it become a bad thing not to get the game we are suppose to be pursuing. It is not shopping.

I know the terrain is vastly different but South Africa for areas adjoining Kruger as a top max tusk weight 75 pounds I think. Anything larger collar or no collar gets protected status.

Now if the Zimbabwe wants to go to the Park operation and push back against collaring the biggest bulls, or put a cap of only one 100 pounder from the area taken every year or so many years to make everyone happier I am ok with that. I understand the Park not wanting to loose the core of these large bulls in a hunting season or so. I do think that fear is misplaced, but we have to work with people where they are not where we wish they where.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Frankfurt Zoological Society Statement

. . . sad when one considers that only approximately twenty elephants in Gonarezhou were even collared.

Mike

Posts: 21231 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
But, but, but they were probably in thick jess.

But, but, but the sun was probably in their eyes.

But, but, but the bull elephant was probably covered in mud.

But, but, but the PH was probably distracted by mopane flies.

But, but, but the PH was probably distracted by the Matabele ants that were gnawing on his ankles.

But, but, but the bull elephant was probably wearing a camo colored balaclava over the collar.

But, but, but the bull elephant was probably transgender and was wearing a mauve colored scarf over the collar.

But, but, but the ..........

An accident my friends is when you nickname your son (or daughter) Broken Rubber.

Please carry on. coffee

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I have had a tuskless on my "2do list" for some time --- this whole thing has put a real damper on that endeavor --- dang!
I totally understand and embrace the conservation aspect of taking females out of the herd (no matter what species) but -- convincing friends and family that taking a cow elephant (tuskless) is a good thing is becoming vastly more difficult. Call me wimp but I am wavering on the tuskless concept --- may just stick to ugly ol' buffs --- and call it a day. UGH!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

. . . sad when one considers that only approximately twenty elephants in Gonarezhou were even collared.

Quite depressing that these actions may seal the fate of elephant hunting in Zimbabwe. But then again you make your bed and you lie in it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woodmnctry

Don't let this stop you from a Tuskless hunt It's a great experience. I've done it once can't wait to do it again with the price of Buff these days I would considered a double Tuskless hunt.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
quote:

It is not Martin this time.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:

It is not Martin this time.

But is Martin’s associate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not Martin, but the same operator that did the hunt when Martin shot the collared bull. Going to make the "we did not know there were collared bulls around" excuse a little tougher.

Mike

Posts: 21231 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Quite depressing that these actions may seal the fate of elephant hunting in Zimbabwe. But then again you make your bed and you lie in it.

I wish it was that easy Andrew.

Sadly, it is not.

Martin Peters has proven - to me at least - that all he cares about is himself. I am getting messages that he is getting involved in all sorts of shady practices.

I have searched the net, and found many elephants with collars.

Anyone claiming that they have not seen one on an elephant they have shot are most certainly NOT telling the truth.

I have hunted elephants for years, and shot quite a few, and know exactly what is involved.

So that little lie that "we did not see the collar" does not hold any water.

This latest one is exactly the same.

By the actions of selfish clients and crooked PHs, they are making sure that elephant hunting is under the spotlight, and by extension making it extremely difficult for the rest of us to be able to hunt elephants in the future.

How stupid can they get?

Especially after all the outcry after the one before.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

I wish it was that easy Andrew.

Sadly, it is not.

Martin Peters has proven - to me at least - that all he cares about is himself. I am getting messages that he is getting involved in all sorts of shady practices.

I have searched the net, and found many elephants with collars.

Anyone claiming that they have not seen one on an elephant they have shot are most certainly NOT telling the truth.

I have hunted elephants for years, and shot quite a few, and know exactly what is involved.

So that little lie that "we did not see the collar" does not hold any water.

This latest one is exactly the same.

By the actions of selfish clients and crooked PHs, they are making sure that elephant hunting is under the spotlight, and by extension making it extremely difficult for the rest of us to be able to hunt elephants in the future.

How stupid can they get?

Especially after all the outcry after the one before.

+1

He's living by the land-standing African approach to life,...get what you can, while you can, and screw the future.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What "outcry"? This is not a "Cecil" type event. Hunting elephants will not be ended by a collared elephant being shot. Making a huge deal out of shooting a collard elephant will just end it sooner. Correction just make legal hunting of elephants end sooner.

The good people of AR have put more of a spotlight on the collared elephants than any other media could. I'm sure some are thankful.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
What "outcry"? This is not a "Cecil" type event. Hunting elephants will not be ended by a collared elephant being shot. Making a huge deal out of shooting a collard elephant will just end it sooner. Correction just make legal hunting of elephants end sooner.

The good people of AR have put more of a spotlight on the collared elephants than any other media could. I'm sure some are thankful.

This is a lot worse than cecil.

I could well believe that a collar on a lion is hard to see.

On an elephant?

No way in hell!

And they keep doing it repeatedly too!

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Must be gunning for SCI PH of the Year award. Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
quote:

Must be gunning for SCI PH of the Year award. Cool

He seems to meet all the requirements to qualify for it clap

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
A Facebook page goes nuts when a single collared Elephant goes down.

Can someone point me to the Facebook page that is currently going nuts every time an Elephant hits the ground where the ivory from that calf or cow Elephant winds up on the streets of Hong Kong or Beijing?

I didn't think so.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not Martin, but the same operator that did the hunt when Martin shot the collared bull. Going to make the "we did not know there were collared bulls around" excuse a little tougher.

He was also mentor to a real winner....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Can someone point me to the Facebook page that is currently going nuts every time an Elephant hits the ground where the ivory from that calf or cow Elephant winds up on the streets of Hong Kong or Beijing?

I didn't think so.

Just like the bunch of lions killed by poison.

No one cares about the lions.

It is all about stopping hunting!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

I didn't think so.

You are right Wendell and today social media is our battleground whether we like it or not. As Saeed as stated their is very little attention to the plight of Lions being snared and poisoned.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote