THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I will just make this one last statement. I am in the same camp as Saeed. I would not shoot a collared ele...especially not today.

The PH I hunt with feels the same but I won’t speak for him. I also feel reasonably sure that in that situation he would be looking for a collar and note it if it were there.

The above are my own personal ethical believes.

The rub that affects us all is this: If the Zim guys want the US market back in entirety...it will mean reversing the import suspensions.

I can assure you 100% guaranteed that shooting this bull and like...is 100 steps backwards in reversing those suspensions. The anti lobbying orgs are POWERFUL. At this particular time...this shoot was the shot-in-the-arm they wanted and they will exploit it.

We ourselves are going to have to change tactics or we will become a chapter in history sooner rather than later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
I believe that the Non consumptive guys from the National Parks need to raise the money , identify possible iconic animals, collar them at their expense and then make it law that they cannot be hunted.

Buzz, in today's environment I would not knowingly shoot a collared animal. Not because of ethics but just for the backlash that would ensue that is damaging for us all. But, as you point out, isn't it often difficult to determine an animal is collared? I have hunted Naivasha and I have no doubt they could not see the collar until the elephant was on the ground. Hell, I had a very difficult time just seeing the shoulder of my buffalo in May. My point is, couldn't such a law expose the PH and hunter to legal repercussions if a mistake was made? No offense, but I don't think I would want to find myself at the mercy of the Zimbabwean judicial system.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a hunt 2 years ago with a client in one of the APNR reserves that have a open border with the Kruger park, ONE morning hot on the trail of 8 buffalo bulls one of the bulls got taken by lions it must have happened while we where less than 5 minutes behind them, we walk up on it and watch them feed maybe for a hour I had my regular camera man with me, months later we were sitting editing hunts of the season and that clip came up, to our big surprise we noticed one of the female lions had a collar on we only saw it 3 months after the hunt while editing, nether me my client anyone of the trackers or the APNRs representative noticed it while we were watching them feeding on that buffalo... we ended up shooting a big buff out of that same group couple hours later what a memorable hunt!! however months later watching that footage it dawned on me how Easily a mistake can be made on collared animals and this was a female lion not even a male. I am sure in 90% of the cases if a collared animal is shot it is a honest mistake. The last thing on my mind watching those cats feed was looking for a collared lion...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
If the animal was hunted in a fair chase method and was legally killed, then the collar is irrelevant IMO.

Sometimes the hunter gets lucky and the animal screws up. That is part of nature and part of life.

Hunters in the USA killed 100s of geese and ducks that have been collared. No big deal, just part of the sport.

Congratulations to both the hunter and the PH!

JMO

BH63

Agreed.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
FYI. Since 1960, about 14 million ducks have been banded in the US and Canada, with over 2 million info reports.

By my calculations that would equate to approximately 4% of banded birds taken per year are reported in the USA

Care to come up with a figure for birds flying around between the Middle East and Russia? coffee

If 14 million ducks banded with 2 million returns = 14% rate, not 4%. Sleep thru math class? Info from USFWS bird band lab. Have no idea about Mid East returns.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
I did a hunt 2 years ago with a client in one of the APNR reserves that have a open border with the Kruger park, ONE morning hot on the trail of 8 buffalo bulls one of the bulls got taken by lions it must have happened while we where less than 5 minutes behind them, we walk up on it and watch them feed maybe for a hour I had my regular camera man with me, months later we were sitting editing hunts of the season and that clip came up, to our big surprise we noticed one of the female lions had a collar on we only saw it 3 months after the hunt while editing, nether me my client anyone of the trackers or the APNRs representative noticed it while we were watching them feeding on that buffalo... we ended up shooting a big buff out of that same group couple hours later what a memorable hunt!! however months later watching that footage it dawned on me how Easily a mistake can be made on collared animals and this was a female lion not even a male. I am sure in 90% of the cases if a collared animal is shot it is a honest mistake. The last thing on my mind watching those cats feed was looking for a collared lion...

That is exactly the problem with making it illegal to shoot a collared animal. I know someone with a someone similar situation with a black bear. He has hundreds of pictures of it on a trail cam. Never noticed a thing until one day.........

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have deleted my post on this topic. Why, there has been presented to me that there is a preponderance of th evidence that Martin Pieters is telling the truth.

This does not come from him but a professional I consider his better. In my mind he owes this man his last lace of reputation.

I apologize to Martin Pieters because for my posts because the facts are disputed and cannot separated.

I make this plea to everyone. We are being judged by anti hunters and non hunters alike. Our actions balance hunting on a pivot point.

We live in a different environment than we did even in 2006. We have lost two greater premier pieces of wild Africa. Those being half the Selous and the Zambezi River blocks this month.

We are one bad actor away from being told we are not the stewards of the land and animal we profess. We have to and the animals and habbitat need that we engage our non hunting counter parts with an open hand. Those who hold concessions boardering these National parks have to, and I believe most do, engage in a broader conservation strategy.

Hunting nation-states appear to be starving for the US market. The US government is as much the consumer as the individual US hunter. The seller African nation-states, regional professional hunting associations, and concession holders must move and insure the consumer (US Government) is satisfied.

If that means allowing the US to independently verify the number of, age of acertain speicies of an animal, then the response has to be and should have been yes sir. I do not trust the host nation-states’s animal count either.

If that means communicating and insuring research animals coming out of a National Park are not shot. The response should be yes sir.

If that means setting up so,e program that allows the US to verify where every penny that was collected to hunt that animals goes, then the response should be tell us how.

It is not fair, but I was taught that fair has nothing to do in this world. The US market will not come back without a mindset change by the providers to the market.

The world does not care if a banned duck is shot. The scientific community does care when a resource elephant is shot. We have to court and deal with that community.

I had no objection to the 120 pounder being shot. He was not collard. It was also never alleged that the National Park holder asked the Outfitter not to target him. The poor old man had to had only one tooth left in that sunken head. He was hunted hard and fair. The differences between these two elephants are obvious.

Posts: 11977 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
What ever happen to; wait until the facts are established, before you put things in print or speak.

With today internet, it appears that the bucket of tar is always on boil with a massive pile of feathers sitting close by. Just so, that someone can be the first to tar and feather and individual without knowing the facts on a subject.

The group here is no better than the anti-hunting sites or blogs when statements occur/supplied on the site short of any facts to support their statement/posts. Hunters advise anti hunter to look at the facts, before making comments, what is happening at this point. How are we different, Oh, I know you tell me so, so that make it right.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Where is the accountability in this group? Some blatant accusations were made here that have now been directly controverted by those actually present. Will the poster of these accusations defend the statements or correct them and apologize to those accused and misinformed?

quote:
The sad thing here was that Frankurt Zoological knew where he was and called the hunters to ask them not to shoot him.

quote:
Frankfort Zoological manages Gonarezhou. They knew the ele was in the hunting block from his tracking collar coordinates. Someone from the park made comms with the camp and let them know...hoping with that knowledge they would look close for a collar and let the collared ele walk.

I am sure most everyone here was shocked reading that.I wonder how that statement came about?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I will just make this one last statement. I am in the same camp as Saeed. I would not shoot a collared ele...especially not today.

The PH I hunt with feels the same but I won’t speak for him. I also feel reasonably sure that in that situation he would be looking for a collar and note it if it were there.

The above are my own personal ethical believes.

The rub that affects us all is this: If the Zim guys want the US market back in entirety...it will mean reversing the import suspensions.

I can assure you 100% guaranteed that shooting this bull and like...is 100 steps backwards in reversing those suspensions. The anti lobbying orgs are POWERFUL. At this particular time...this shoot was the shot-in-the-arm they wanted and they will exploit it.

We ourselves are going to have to change tactics or we will become a chapter in history sooner rather than later.

Yes Sir. There is a lot of truth in that statement!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If 14 million ducks banded with 2 million returns = 14% rate, not 4%. Sleep thru math class? Info from USFWS bird band lab. Have no idea about Mid East returns.

Over a period of 58 years ...... " since 1960 to date" ....total 2 million returns ... divide that by 58 years ..... average of 4% per year

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make the fine on a collared animal $20 000 to the Ph and make the trophy Non exportable. In that way the fine is certainly a serious blow for any PH and if a PH should have a client with no scruples he would not be tempted to pay the fine plus a little " bonus" as he would not get the trophy anyway.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make the fine on a collared animal $20 000 to the Ph and make the trophy Non exportable. In that way the fine is certainly a serious blow for any PH and if a PH should have a client with no scruples he would not be tempted to pay the fine plus a little " bonus" as he would not get the trophy anyway.

Thats fine Buzz but there has also to be restrictions on the number of elephant collared and maybe the policy should be that the bigger bulls are not collared as it conflicts with safari hunting?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Lane,
I have received "the truth" from you:

quote:
Hi Brad,
I am pretty confident in my statements. While at this point due to negativity created by the event that will be adverse to hunting and reversing the ivory import suspension...I am happy to let this die...if push comes to shove...I will share how I know what I stated is true.

Again, would rather just let it die.

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Hunter/Conservationist

Lane,
Since your accusations the following has been posted on the same topic:

By the operator on the hunt "Martin Pieters":
quote:
No one was aware of the collared elephant in the concession.
No one and I repeat no one reported the elephant to the camp and or the PH and or the operator, in fact the management of FZS who run the park knew the bull had been active in the hunting area for over a month by its GPS collar and refrained or decided not to inform the hunting company despite having comms daily with the safari operator and having a national parks ranger with a radio from their unit on the vehicle.

By the ZPHGA:
quote:
....He was not informed of any collared elephant in the communal area although this bull had been mostly resident in the area since the 20th February this year.....Current finding: After interviewing the PH in charge of the safari and communications with authorities from Gonarezhou, it is unfortunate that neither the PH, Ranger or RDC representative where notified by the Authorities that the collored bull had been in the hunting area since the 20th of February, nor had any of them attempted to establish if a bull of significance was in or near the hunting area. The EXCO concludes that, while a tragedy, based on information provided by the PH, the Gonarezhou ranger and the authorities in Gonarezhou this was a genuine mistake due to a lack of communication.

By Buzz Charlton Quoting Frankfort Zoological Society:
quote:
FACT 1-
FRANKFURT ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY KNEW THE WHERE ABOUTS OF THE SAID BULL BUT DID NOT WARN THE OPERATOR/PH THAT IT WAS IN THE HUNTING AREA - THERE IS A LETTER FROM THE FZS CONFIRMING THIS.
FACT 4/
NATIONAL PARKS INCLUDING THE FZS HAVE DONE THIER INVESTIGATIONS AND CLEARED MP OF ANY WRONG DOING.

It seems to me the time for a PM was when you made the accusations if all of the above is true and your "information" is incorrect. These are more than salacious accusations if untrue. If the statements of Martin Pieters, ZPHGA and Buzz Charlton are true, you are literally breaking the 9th commandment. If they are being disingenuous, they are enabling the further destruction of the cause everyone here is discussing.
You did not post your accusations on a PM, so please do not hide their now. I did not join a PM in this discussion, so I will not either. I am interested in hearing your further comments....

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane,

quote:
Hi Brad,
I am pretty confident in my statements. While at this point due to negativity created by the event that will be adverse to hunting and reversing the ivory import suspension...I am happy to let this die...if push comes to shove...I will share how I know what I stated is true.

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Hunter/Conservationist

Lane,

quote:
No one and I repeat no one reported the elephant to the camp and or the PH and or the operator, in fact the management of FZS who run the park knew the bull had been active in the hunting area for over a month by its GPS collar and refrained or decided not to inform the hunting company despite having comms daily with the safari operator and having a national parks ranger with a radio from their unit on the vehicle.

By the ZPHGA:
quote:
....He was not informed of any collared elephant in the communal area although this bull had been mostly resident in the area since the 20th February this year.....Current finding: After interviewing the PH in charge of the safari and communications with authorities from Gonarezhou, it is unfortunate that neither the PH, Ranger or RDC representative where notified by the Authorities that the collored bull had been in the hunting area since the 20th of February, nor had any of them attempted to establish if a bull of significance was in or near the hunting area. The EXCO concludes that, while a tragedy, based on information provided by the PH, the Gonarezhou ranger and the authorities in Gonarezhou this was a genuine mistake due to a lack of communication.

quote:
FACT 1-
FRANKFURT ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY KNEW THE WHERE ABOUTS OF THE SAID BULL BUT DID NOT WARN THE OPERATOR/PH THAT IT WAS IN THE HUNTING AREA - THERE IS A LETTER FROM THE FZS CONFIRMING THIS.
FACT 4/
NATIONAL PARKS INCLUDING THE FZS HAVE DONE THIER INVESTIGATIONS AND CLEARED MP OF ANY WRONG DOING.

It seems to me the time for a PM was when you made the accusations if all of the above is true and your "information" is incorrect. These are more than salacious accusations if untrue. If the statements of Martin Pieters, ZPHGA and Buzz Charlton are true, you are literally breaking the 9th commandment. If they are being disingenuous, they are enabling the further destruction of the cause everyone here is discussing.
You did not post your accusations on a PM, so please do not hide their now. I did not join a PM in this discussion, so I will not either. I am interested in hearing your further comments....

Brad,
It is in our (hunters) best interest to let this go away at this point...the damage is already done.

Since you are revealing that you are disingenuous enough to make public a polite PM...I certainly don’t care to engage with the likes of you in a public forum monitored by many anti-hunting groups. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
The person who originally posted the accusations on a public forum is now stating that silence is in "our (hunters) best interest"? And who is "disingenouos"? Do me a favor Lane, don't send me anymore "polite PM's", I do not have any interest in your middle school antics.
Thank You

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Brad,
How about I do as I see fit. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the anti hunters knew how scared hunters are of a collar I would imagine they will start collaring more animals and make them harder to see.

All we can do is hunt in an ethical and legal way. If that’s not good enough well I guess we’re done.

This particular hunt has nothing to do with ethics btw.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wasn’t this professional hunter involved in another collared elephant shoot before??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Circulating around some us old bullets:

quote:
Happy Saturday afternoon folks and whilst it may be old news to some who're on FB a lot this might be news to others who aren't...

On Thursday last week ZPHGA had an emergency meeting to discuss the recent shooting of a collared bull on the 7th March in a hunting concession bordering Gonarezhou by Martin Pieters.

They have produced a statement which is hugely disappointing to say the very least considering that this is not the first time he has shot a collared animal.

In 2010 he shot one of Matusadona's iconic bulls the Musango Bull and at the time if memory serves me correctly he was either incoming or outgoing Chairman of ZPHGA!

If memory serves me further he claimed not to have seen the collar because the bush was so thick and basically told everyone to go to hell and that he did nothing illegal.

This is the same excuse being used once again and is bringing the entire hunting industry into disrepute and is not great publicity for Gonarezhou or Zimbabwe.

Had he shot an iconic elephant such as Boswell in Mana there'd be a huge outcry from guides and operators there but the fact that there are so few operators in Gonarezhou means there are fewer people to make a fuss.

Fact # 1: At great cost the Gonarezhou Conservation Trust have collared a couple of big tuskers in the park and have notified the surrounding hunting concessionaires that whilst there was no legal basis to prevent these animals from being shot that the collars would be a deterrent as it would be unethical to shoot them. This was the primary purpose of the collars as they specifically chose those with big ivory. If the elephants moved out of the park then it was never their intention to herd them back in as previous research showed that they cover big distances and from time to time move out of the park.

Fact # 2: The concessionaire (Lloyd Yateman - another operator with dubious ethical credentials) where this elephant was shot failed to communicate this information to Martin Pieters or at least that's what has been claimed. Several other hunters in the past have supposedly seen this elephant and not shot it based on it being collared.

It is not up to the GCT to continually have to monitor each and every collared animal as there is a huge cost attached to this and is why concessionaires are notified that there are collared animals which are off limits to hunting. It is up to them to communicate this to their PHs and it is up to the PH to be 100% certain that an animal is not collared before shooting.

Fact # 3: The GCT cannot legislate laws and it can take years of lobbying to create legally binding instruments which can be enforceable by law. In this case there is no law against the hunting of collared animals so in effect there is no legal recourse.

Legality and ethics are two totally different kettles of fish and just because something isn't illegal should not make it kosher.

The hunting community bemoans the fact that trophy hunting is under scrutiny in Zimbabwe by the rest of the ethical world yet individuals like Martin keep shooting themselves and everyone else in the foot again and again and then blame everything on social media and anti hunters.

I am not anti hunting but I am anti unethical hunting and using the argument of "I did nothing wrong. It was perfectly legal" doesn't carry any weight.

When incidents like this happen the hunting community should be the first to stand up and take action and it is important that ZPHGA's members take a strong stand should they wish to protect an industry coming under pressure as a result of acts such as this.

Their statement that this was a genuine mistake is not acceptable.

All of us, irrespective of whether we are members of ZPHGA or not should stand united in wanting to know 1) What is ZPHGA's official position on the hunting of collared animals and 2) What disciplinary action are they going to take against Martin Pieters and 3) to push Parks for a permanent license revoke for repeated unprofessional conduct that tarnishes Zimbabwe's reputation.

PHASA are going to have a field day with this if no action is taken following ZPGHA's stance on canned lion hunting and it is about to get a LOT of international press coverage.

The statement published by the ZPHGA, herewith attached needs to be challenged by every one of us.

Some very simple solutions to prevent the shooting of animals that should be regarded as a National Heritage were proposed and discussed at length at the 2015 ZPHGA AGM which was held in December whuch was a couple of months after the Malipati Bull was shot.

The AGM was dominated by hunters who had zero interest in any compromise for a proposal that was tabled ie having a maximum trophy size of say 80lbs that can be hunted (much like a minimum size for salmon) and is extremely easy to police and enforce.

The only three non hunters who attended (out of an audience of approx 60 people) were told that non consumptive operators should collar specific animals which would be respected by hunters as being off limits to hunting.

I don't suppose any of this was actually minuted but there was a very drawn out discussion on this and that was the position of those hunters present.

As we have now clearly seen this does not work as several past experiences have shown.

How many times can one bring ones country and industry into disrepute before anyone thinks to lift a finger or speak out against those who are jeopardizing our livelihoods?

Based on Martin Pieters track record of having previously done this without any consequence and if they again do nothing then this makes a total mockery of any integrity that ZPHGA might have and they together with any ethical hunter who does not challenge this is an accomplice to adding another nail to the coffin of trophy hunting.

I implore everyone on this group to take action and individually write to ZPHGA asking what disciplinary action they will be taking and to the DG of parks requesting for his license to be withdrawn.

A strong message that such behaviour will not be tolerated will do a massive amount of good for the industry.

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Since legal action such as license revocation has to be based on breaking the law- and this action was PERHAPS unethical but not illegal- nothing will happen.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13388 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cow-trader:
Circulating around some us old bullets:

quote:
Happy Saturday afternoon folks and whilst it may be old news to some who're on FB a lot this might be news to others who aren't...

On Thursday last week ZPHGA had an emergency meeting to discuss the recent shooting of a collared bull on the 7th March in a hunting concession bordering Gonarezhou by Martin Pieters.

They have produced a statement which is hugely disappointing to say the very least considering that this is not the first time he has shot a collared animal.

In 2010 he shot one of Matusadona's iconic bulls the Musango Bull and at the time if memory serves me correctly he was either incoming or outgoing Chairman of ZPHGA!

If memory serves me further he claimed not to have seen the collar because the bush was so thick and basically told everyone to go to hell and that he did nothing illegal.

This is the same excuse being used once again and is bringing the entire hunting industry into disrepute and is not great publicity for Gonarezhou or Zimbabwe.

Had he shot an iconic elephant such as Boswell in Mana there'd be a huge outcry from guides and operators there but the fact that there are so few operators in Gonarezhou means there are fewer people to make a fuss.

Fact # 1: At great cost the Gonarezhou Conservation Trust have collared a couple of big tuskers in the park and have notified the surrounding hunting concessionaires that whilst there was no legal basis to prevent these animals from being shot that the collars would be a deterrent as it would be unethical to shoot them. This was the primary purpose of the collars as they specifically chose those with big ivory. If the elephants moved out of the park then it was never their intention to herd them back in as previous research showed that they cover big distances and from time to time move out of the park.

Fact # 2: The concessionaire (Lloyd Yateman - another operator with dubious ethical credentials) where this elephant was shot failed to communicate this information to Martin Pieters or at least that's what has been claimed. Several other hunters in the past have supposedly seen this elephant and not shot it based on it being collared.

It is not up to the GCT to continually have to monitor each and every collared animal as there is a huge cost attached to this and is why concessionaires are notified that there are collared animals which are off limits to hunting. It is up to them to communicate this to their PHs and it is up to the PH to be 100% certain that an animal is not collared before shooting.

Fact # 3: The GCT cannot legislate laws and it can take years of lobbying to create legally binding instruments which can be enforceable by law. In this case there is no law against the hunting of collared animals so in effect there is no legal recourse.

Legality and ethics are two totally different kettles of fish and just because something isn't illegal should not make it kosher.

The hunting community bemoans the fact that trophy hunting is under scrutiny in Zimbabwe by the rest of the ethical world yet individuals like Martin keep shooting themselves and everyone else in the foot again and again and then blame everything on social media and anti hunters.

I am not anti hunting but I am anti unethical hunting and using the argument of "I did nothing wrong. It was perfectly legal" doesn't carry any weight.

When incidents like this happen the hunting community should be the first to stand up and take action and it is important that ZPHGA's members take a strong stand should they wish to protect an industry coming under pressure as a result of acts such as this.

Their statement that this was a genuine mistake is not acceptable.

All of us, irrespective of whether we are members of ZPHGA or not should stand united in wanting to know 1) What is ZPHGA's official position on the hunting of collared animals and 2) What disciplinary action are they going to take against Martin Pieters and 3) to push Parks for a permanent license revoke for repeated unprofessional conduct that tarnishes Zimbabwe's reputation.

PHASA are going to have a field day with this if no action is taken following ZPGHA's stance on canned lion hunting and it is about to get a LOT of international press coverage.

The statement published by the ZPHGA, herewith attached needs to be challenged by every one of us.

Some very simple solutions to prevent the shooting of animals that should be regarded as a National Heritage were proposed and discussed at length at the 2015 ZPHGA AGM which was held in December whuch was a couple of months after the Malipati Bull was shot.

The AGM was dominated by hunters who had zero interest in any compromise for a proposal that was tabled ie having a maximum trophy size of say 80lbs that can be hunted (much like a minimum size for salmon) and is extremely easy to police and enforce.

The only three non hunters who attended (out of an audience of approx 60 people) were told that non consumptive operators should collar specific animals which would be respected by hunters as being off limits to hunting.

I don't suppose any of this was actually minuted but there was a very drawn out discussion on this and that was the position of those hunters present.

As we have now clearly seen this does not work as several past experiences have shown.

How many times can one bring ones country and industry into disrepute before anyone thinks to lift a finger or speak out against those who are jeopardizing our livelihoods?

Based on Martin Pieters track record of having previously done this without any consequence and if they again do nothing then this makes a total mockery of any integrity that ZPHGA might have and they together with any ethical hunter who does not challenge this is an accomplice to adding another nail to the coffin of trophy hunting.

I implore everyone on this group to take action and individually write to ZPHGA asking what disciplinary action they will be taking and to the DG of parks requesting for his license to be withdrawn.

A strong message that such behaviour will not be tolerated will do a massive amount of good for the industry.

Thank you for posting this here.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Who wrote the above?

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
FACTS FROM ZIM ( which seem to be ignored at the moment)

FACT 1-

FACT 2/
IT WAS A LEGAL HUNT

FACT 3/
IT IS LEGAL TO SHOOT A COLLARED ELEPHANT

FACT 4/

FACT 5/
ZPHGA HAVE WRITTEN A STATEMENT CLEARING MP AND THE OPERATOR OF ANY WRONG DOING

The grey area which we can discuss till we are blue in the face is

1/ Was it ethical
2/ Was MP aware of the collar
3/ Would you shoot a collared elephant.

What I can tell you is at this time of the year it is extremely hard to see a collar. The bush is thick and often the bulls have rolled in mud etc. I do believe it has come at the worst possible time for the negative publicity will have an adverse effect in the whole process of up lifting the ban which I hope is imminent.

Thank you Buzz.

I've walked enough miles with MP to know he wouldn't have knowingly had a client shoot a collared ele in today's environment.

As to the prior post by someone who suggested PHs should know an ele of this size is in the area or concession:

"Let's be logical about it. Whether the collar was visible or not, how many elephants with that size ivory are running around? Aren't the phs intimately familiar with the land and especially if there was a very large elephant nearby. I don't know, hard to believe in real honest mistakes these days with all of the technology available to us. Easy to see as a hunting community how we invite criticism and anger."

Elephants cross concession, national park and country borders routinely. In many cases they probably walk more on a daily basis than your ass typically drives in a day.

Fortunately there are still surprises in today's Africa, and at that time of year the bush is thick and mistakes, although legal, can be made ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Using the phrase “ethical conduct” and Martin Pieters together is like discussing tall dwarves or short giants- they don’t go together. After the bait-and-switch scam of the Drazen brothers and failure to refund agreed upon overcharges, I just can’t accept his word at face value. Now that it turns out he shot another collared elephant in 2010 and reused the same “I didn’t see the collar” alibi, I believe him as much as I believe Hitlery or Bill Clinton.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
Using the phrase “ethical conduct” and Martin Pieters together is like discussing tall dwarves or short giants- they don’t go together. After the bait-and-switch scam of the Drazen brothers and failure to refund agreed upon overcharges, I just can’t accept his word at face value. Now that it turns out he shot another collared elephant in 2010 and reused the same “I didn’t see the collar” alibi, I believe him as much as I believe Hitlery or Bill Clinton.

Quote - I implore everyone on this group to take action and individually write to ZPHGA asking what disciplinary action they will be taking and to the DG of parks requesting for his license to be withdrawn.

There you have it Bud and if you want you should forward your concerns directly to ZPHGA

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no dog in this fight and will not pass an opinion on the matter as I WAS NOT THERE AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I do know Martin and have shared camp with him once and I really enjoyed his company.

Beyond this matter, I am astounded as to how so many have passed judgement (and strongly so) purely on hearsay, some of it from the antis. Had they been hunting Kudu (for example) and they found a bull with his head partly obscured and the PH could see both bases and what he thought were two tips that represented a grand trophy and the animal was shot, only to find the bull only had one horn...... genuine mistake - PH apologises and it's put down as a lesson learnt - end of story!!! Yes this is different in that it is potentially an iconic animal but the principle remains. I have made these mistakes and I have shared many a fantastic campfire listening to PH's and "clients" who have recalled genuine mistakes, which at the end of the story have resulted in a good laugh!!!

At what point did most of us become super human, that have never made an honest mistake! I repeat, I am not defending MP as I don't know the actual facts but I do know that genuine honest mistakes absolutely do happen!!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
but there is general acceptance that the ethical position is that a hunter will avoid shooting an animal with a collar

A non biased statement from FZS. As Martin has stated it was a mistake and maybe that is how we should leave it and move on.

I repeat.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
If I remember correct the 2010 ele with a collar was with a longstanding respected member here that said he never saw the collar. I believe that to be true 100%.

No wrong/illegal was done on this hunt I would say move on gentlemen.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The head of the ZPHGA is a personal friend of mine. I made contact with him. He confirms that this was legal. He also confirms that this is Martin's second such incident and that the industry is taking some heat for it.

Definitely not a good thing for Zimbabwe, especially these days.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Am sitting in Harare on way out after a buff / ele hunt in Sengwe with Mokore which finished this morning.

We saw something like 100 plus ele up close. I can honestly say that the bush was so thick and dense that out of the 100 we probably only saw 8-10 fully and clearly enough to see the full head and neck.

I guess it's easy to have an opinion in front of a computer screen. On the ground in the thick bush it is different.

Congrats to the hunter and PH on a magnificent trophy bull. Unfortunate that the bull was collared and the collar not seen.

My 2 cents.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2322 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if this thread would exist if the bull had been a 40 pounder?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Not seeing something before shooting it is a pretty dangerous argument to make...think about that in all contexts.

I would be reluctant to offer that up as defense...especially in today’s climate.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not seeing something before shooting it is a pretty dangerous argument to make...think about that in all contexts.

+1 tu2

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
According to the PH's post, the legal and "ethical" killing of the collared 100-pound tusker adjacent to the world renown Gonarezhou National Park wasn't intentional (limited visibility due to thick foliage). Then the PH should, at a minimum, mitigate the ongoing "trophy" hunting public relations nightmare by donating the proceeds from the hunt (i.e. - daily fees, trophy fees, and his personal tip) to Gonarezhou National Park's ongoing anti-poaching initiatives and/or the Frankfurt Zoological Society's research program. (IMO)

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So they did not see the collar or even the whole elephant. If they had a tag and the bull was legal by what they saw all good. How many times do you get to see all of any animal in thick bush.

We keep worrying about if they have names and collars we are not standing for why we hunt. A collar or name should not make any animal off limits if it is on land that is legal to hunt.

Once again we worry about what the people who hate hunting already will say instead of backing a legal hunt as far as all the details show as of now.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
As a memeber of the ethics committee, I do not think Marin Pieters has been vindicated. I hope, strongly, with every being hoe so. I will recant, apologize, and delete my post.

However, if his statement is not independently confrimwd that the Outfitter was not made aware this bull have moved in the concession my condemnation stands.

I do not trust M. Pieters. The last time he posted on this Forum, he was switching hunting areas on clients without notice or prior approval.

+1 how quickly we forget

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I hunt and make occasional mistake
Thing is, I don’t wanna hunt if I have to look over my shoulder and worry what possibilities are there to accuse me of some form of wrong doing ...
Antis will keep coming after us no matter what so screw them and let’s go hunting
Funny thing about elephants in this particular area is there are too many and where is the limit and who will take care of the problem in future?
If not for hunter and their responsible behavior, poachers move in and kill them all
Frankfurters should be using part of their budget for feeding and employing many locals
Do they do that but for few local employees?

These pseudo researchers just make me sick for the fact they are hacks and will turn on hunters when time is right

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari areas sustain parks.Without the safari areas parks will turn into zoos.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is so sad!

It is one thing to spread false information but it is even worse to not retract it when shown to be false.

The group you said called about the elephant is saying they did not. You both can not be right.

In this particular discussion Lane you should not be talking about ethics.

PM's should not be shared but in this situation I am glad 505 did share it. It shows the ethics of one of the original rumor spreaders who is trying to cover his tracks.

quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Lane,

quote:
Hi Brad,

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Hunter/Conservationist

Lane,

quote:

By the ZPHGA:
quote:

quote:
FACT 1-
FACT 4/

Brad,
It is in our (hunters) best interest to let this go away at this point...the damage is already done.

Since you are revealing that you are disingenuous enough to make public a polite PM...I certainly don’t care to engage with the likes of you in a public forum monitored by many anti-hunting groups. Smiler

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote