THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100lber taken in Zimbabwe's south east Lowvelt recently?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Hunting is not a right, it is a privilege. As such the sport exists at the will of the public. If we are tone deaf to public perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not . . . our hunting privileges will disappear or continue to be curtailed. That is simply reality.

I don't disagree with you at all on this point. But at what point does giving in on this or that or the other, essentially curtailing some hunting to protect the remaining, become a Chamberlain-esque policy of appeasement? Appeasement never works in the end. You just slowly give away the loaf of bread hoping in the end you get some crumbs.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with MJines. The only way we are going to keep having the opportunity to hunt is to stay off the radar of an ever increasing public eye. Our ethics must be greater than any written laws or regulations unless we all only want to dream about the "good old days".

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:
quote:
Hunting is not a right, it is a privilege. As such the sport exists at the will of the public. If we are tone deaf to public perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not . . . our hunting privileges will disappear or continue to be curtailed. That is simply reality.

I don't disagree with you at all on this point. But at what point does giving in on this or that or the other, essentially curtailing some hunting to protect the remaining, become a Chamberlain-esque policy of appeasement? Appeasement never works in the end. You just slowly give away the loaf of bread hoping in the end you get some crumbs.

Mike is right on with what he is saying,but some of us are turning this into a pissing match,think of it this way, if you owned a business? What would you rather have? good or bad publicity?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
There is no mistaking that across Africa elephant numbers have decreased alarmingly. This includes some historical hunting areas.

In my mind hunting cow elephant creates the following concerns:

1) shooting cows in herds is accepted as making those herd animals more aggressive. In places in Zimbabwe this would lend itself to those herd animals having more human conflict and more animals (cows) are shot on PAC.

2) cow elephant never go through menopause. They either have a calf in some state of dependency, are pregnant, or capable of being pregnant. Thus, to kill a cow is to kill a breeder. Do we need as many vreeders as we can get?

Ultimately, science based information is what should, and I hope does, determine whether cows should be on quota for a given concession in a host nation. If professional biologists tell me this area has X number of elephant, and the carrying capacity is this number, and this is the ecological damage being done by this z number of too many elephant, then quota should be issued. The general public would be apathetic, but not damning to such science.

The concession holder and host nation should have some voice in what those numbers are. However, those numbers would have to be verified independently by professional scientist, the US Government, and CIITES.

The result would be some concessions it would be against conservation to issue cow quota or shoot cows unnecessarily. In others quota should be issued.

The fact remains that no independent, scientific information is readily available to support or defend issuance of a cow quota. Those studies and like studies for lion are we're our money for hunting conservation needs to go. The PR side of it is to distribute that information. Yes, when such studies say folks the math does not justify to killing as it is being done now for a given area. Instead of decrying greenie science we need to recalibrate what we are doing.

Posters on this this thread have been hostile to the intentions of the Frankfurt group. Frankfurt group has been very polite in this controversy to hunting upto this point. I appreciate them for that. We aligenate these folks at our own risk.

Zimbabwe's elephant population is roughly double the carrying capacity of the country based up what the experts think. Some of the experts openly advocate large scale culling due to the damage being done.

Conservation isn't just about a single species.

With double the carrying capacity of the country, why wouldn't cows be shot? It makes the most sense.

Thank you Mr. Shores. I believe that but us rank and file and concession holders need that independent, scientific data. Sadly, we do not have it. That data from secentfic professionals needs to be communicated to the masses before a crisis happens effectively throug traditional and new social media. That is not happening.

The stated and accepted number of elephant is 350,000 as of 2016. We can argue with that number, but that is the number to majority of scientists and the public accepts. I think Zimbabwe may have 100k to 125k. Where and how are those animals concentrated through out Zimbabwe? What is the mortality rate in a given area, how many in a given area is too many? What damage is being done by too high a concentration of elephant? How much does the Cow quota balance this or subsidies habitat? This information has to be verified by a third source. I do not trust any count done by Zimbabwe.

These specific hard numbers is what we need. It is what I would need to see before booking a cow elephant hunt.

https://conservationaction.co....ment-plan-2015-2020/

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
There is no mistaking that across Africa elephant numbers have decreased alarmingly. This includes some historical hunting areas.

In my mind hunting cow elephant creates the following concerns:

1) shooting cows in herds is accepted as making those herd animals more aggressive. In places in Zimbabwe this would lend itself to those herd animals having more human conflict and more animals (cows) are shot on PAC.

2) cow elephant never go through menopause. They either have a calf in some state of dependency, are pregnant, or capable of being pregnant. Thus, to kill a cow is to kill a breeder. Do we need as many vreeders as we can get?

Ultimately, science based information is what should, and I hope does, determine whether cows should be on quota for a given concession in a host nation. If professional biologists tell me this area has X number of elephant, and the carrying capacity is this number, and this is the ecological damage being done by this z number of too many elephant, then quota should be issued. The general public would be apathetic, but not damning to such science.

The concession holder and host nation should have some voice in what those numbers are. However, those numbers would have to be verified independently by professional scientist, the US Government, and CIITES.

The result would be some concessions it would be against conservation to issue cow quota or shoot cows unnecessarily. In others quota should be issued.

The fact remains that no independent, scientific information is readily available to support or defend issuance of a cow quota. Those studies and like studies for lion are we're our money for hunting conservation needs to go. The PR side of it is to distribute that information. Yes, when such studies say folks the math does not justify to killing as it is being done now for a given area. Instead of decrying greenie science we need to recalibrate what we are doing.

Posters on this this thread have been hostile to the intentions of the Frankfurt group. Frankfurt group has been very polite in this controversy to hunting upto this point. I appreciate them for that. We aligenate these folks at our own risk.

Zimbabwe's elephant population is roughly double the carrying capacity of the country based up what the experts think. Some of the experts openly advocate large scale culling due to the damage being done.

Conservation isn't just about a single species.

With double the carrying capacity of the country, why wouldn't cows be shot? It makes the most sense.

Thank you Mr. Shores. I believe that but us rank and file and concession holders need that independent, scientific data. Sadly, we do not have it. That data from secentfic professionals needs to be communicated to the masses before a crisis happens effectively throug traditional and new social media. That is not happening.

The stated and accepted number of elephant is 350,000 as of 2016. We can argue with that number, but that is the number to majority of scientists and the public accepts. I think Zimbabwe may have 100k to 125k. Where and how are those animals concentrated through out Zimbabwe? What is the mortality rate in a given area, how many in a given area is too many? What damage is being done by too high a concentration of elephant? How much does the Cow quota balance this or subsidies habitat? This information has to be verified by a third source. I do not trust any count done by Zimbabwe.

These specific hard numbers is what we need. It is what I would need to see before booking a cow elephant hunt.

I don't have the time to look these numbers up, but they are all available in the archives here on AR. Possibly others can verify them off hand.

In the 1970's, Rhodesia determined that it had a carrying capacity of 46,500 elephants. Elephant were actively culled into the 1970's to keep the population at or around this level. This was with a human population of 7M.

There was a continent wide study done in 2016+- that was paid for by Paul Allen. In that survey it was determined there were approximately 83,000 elephant in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe now has a human population in excess of 14M. The human population will have a bearing on the carrying capacity for the elephant population, but to what extent, I am unaware of any studies.

These numbers are from memory and might be slightly off. Hope this helps.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
From Conservation Force. There is no question that elephant cow hunting is integral to elephant conservation in Zim.

Mike

Posts: 21228 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Like I said, the public apparently understands the distinction between hunting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions versus hunting female animals

We all know and agree the general public is grossly misinformed or simply uninformed as to the conservation benefits of hunting.

Within that context, and the context of the EMOTIONAL underpinnings of the general public's opinion on the subject of hunting in general, anyone who believes the masses object more to the shooting of a collared animal over the shooting of a PREGNANT FEMALE is in serious denial!

And the "can't see the forrest for the trees" message here is that the guy who has probably shot more tuskless cows than anyone on the forum, remembering they are all pregnant or else nursing dependent calves, is oblivious to the fact he is living in a glass house on the ethics issue due to this very topic.

I argue that a conservation message can also be made for shooting a collared bull near a park. That argument being the reason for hunting blocks surrounding the park in the first place being a construct for off take of animals in excess of the carrying capacity of the park. As has been stated here and other places on this forum when discussing the collaring and studying of animals, the fact that the animal moved into a hunting block and was taken by legal hunting means should be nothing more than a data point in the research study ... that is unless the reason for placing the collar had other motivations than pure research in the first place.

I know well the conservation argument for shooting tuskless cows, which are all pregnant. I can make that very strong argument as well if given the opportunity. But I'll guarantee you that when placing the Pregnant Female vs Collared Bull topics placed side by side, the shooting of Pregnant Female elephants will rate far higher on the public's scale of offensiveness! I'd go so far as to say it isn't even a close comparison.

Just to be clear, I've shot a few tuskless cow elephants, which are all pregnant. I will probably do so again as I fully understand the conservation narrative. But then again, I'm not the guy here telling others that my ethics are superior to everyone else's and that you will either conform to MY standards or watch your hunting rights disappear completely.

Carry on. I'm out!!

I think FZS will freely admit that the collaring of this bull had little to do with actual research and much to do with protection.

The real truth of the matter is that there are few of these large tusked ele left.

Many PHs who have been around ele their whole lives have never seen one larger that 70#.

With most species...lion for example...it takes little time to make mature handsome males.

With ele...it takes 50 years to make tusks of that magnitude and the percentage with the correct genetics is very low.

FZS knows 99% of the large resident ele in Gonarezhou...they collared this bull as they thought his survival was paramount.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:
quote:

Mike is right on with what he is saying,but some of us are turning this into a pissing match,think of it this way, if you owned a business? What would you rather have? good or bad publicity?

Well I hope I'm not thought of as turning this into a pissing match, because it certainly is not my intention. I believe sincerely that there is room for discussion/negotiation on what should/shouldn't be done at anytime in regards to hunting. But I also believe in an effort to pacify emotions and abandoning logic/science/facts, we could find ourselves quickly sliding down a steep slippery slope to a point of why would we bother hunting anymore?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well I hope I'm not thought of as turning this into a pissing match, because it certainly is not my intention. I believe sincerely that there is room for discussion/negotiation on what should/shouldn't be done at anytime in regards to hunting. But I also believe in an effort to pacify emotions and abandoning logic/science/facts, we could find ourselves quickly sliding down a steep slippery slope to a point of why would we bother hunting anymore?

See my post above yours.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
Like I said, the public apparently understands the distinction between hunting collared animals on national park boundaries and pen raised lions versus hunting female animals

We all know and agree the general public is grossly misinformed or simply uninformed as to the conservation benefits of hunting.

Within that context, and the context of the EMOTIONAL underpinnings of the general public's opinion on the subject of hunting in general, anyone who believes the masses object more to the shooting of a collared animal over the shooting of a PREGNANT FEMALE is in serious denial!

And the "can't see the forrest for the trees" message here is that the guy who has probably shot more tuskless cows than anyone on the forum, remembering they are all pregnant or else nursing dependent calves, is oblivious to the fact he is living in a glass house on the ethics issue due to this very topic.

I argue that a conservation message can also be made for shooting a collared bull near a park. That argument being the reason for hunting blocks surrounding the park in the first place being a construct for off take of animals in excess of the carrying capacity of the park. As has been stated here and other places on this forum when discussing the collaring and studying of animals, the fact that the animal moved into a hunting block and was taken by legal hunting means should be nothing more than a data point in the research study ... that is unless the reason for placing the collar had other motivations than pure research in the first place.

I know well the conservation argument for shooting tuskless cows, which are all pregnant. I can make that very strong argument as well if given the opportunity. But I'll guarantee you that when placing the Pregnant Female vs Collared Bull topics placed side by side, the shooting of Pregnant Female elephants will rate far higher on the public's scale of offensiveness! I'd go so far as to say it isn't even a close comparison.

Just to be clear, I've shot a few tuskless cow elephants, which are all pregnant. I will probably do so again as I fully understand the conservation narrative. But then again, I'm not the guy here telling others that my ethics are superior to everyone else's and that you will either conform to MY standards or watch your hunting rights disappear completely.

Carry on. I'm out!!

I think FZS will freely admit that the collaring of this bull had little to do with actual research and much to do with protection.

The real truth of the matter is that there are few of these large tusked ele left.

Many PHs who have been around ele their whole lives have never seen one larger that 70#.

With most species...lion for example...it takes little time to make mature handsome males.

With ele...it takes 50 years to make tusks of that magnitude and the percentage with the correct genetics is very low.

FZS knows 99% of the large resident ele in Gonarezhou...they collared this bull as they thought his survival was paramount.

+1

This is all about saving the last of the big tuskers. Once they are gone there is zero chance for any ar member will see another one in their lifetime.

Also the elephants that will survive will also look very similar in ivory. The East African long tusk sadly are already becoming history.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I personally question the true motives of "hunters" voicing outrage over this situation (and many others).

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

See my post above yours.

I did, but I guess I don't quite see how it relates to my post.

What I'll say regarding your post is that if FZS wanted this bull to have protected status, why did they not make an effort to warn MP or any other PH in the area? On page 2, Buzz says FZS wrote a letter stating they "DID NOT WARN THE OPERATOR/PH THAT IT WAS IN THE HUNTING AREA"

If it was of such importance to FZS they keep this bull around, they didn't seem to be taking appropriate actions to ensure its survival. If they were relying on some sort of agreement/understanding between the hunting outfitters and themselves, that's a bit risky I'd think in early March when vegetation is thick.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

See my post above yours.

I did, but I guess I don't quite see how it relates to my post.

What I'll say regarding your post is that if FZS wanted this bull to have protected status, why did they not make an effort to warn MP or any other PH in the area? On page 2, Buzz says FZS wrote a letter stating they "DID NOT WARN THE OPERATOR/PH THAT IT WAS IN THE HUNTING AREA"

If it was of such importance to FZS they keep this bull around, they didn't seem to be taking appropriate actions to ensure its survival. If they were relying on some sort of agreement/understanding between the hunting outfitters and themselves, that's a bit risky I'd think in early March when vegetation is thick.

Go back and read all my posts on the thread. There is more to that story but I am going to leave it at that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
From Conservation Force. There is no question that elephant cow hunting is integral to elephant conservation in Zim.

LOve how you just are so blind. If you like it you will show numbers and just defend your stance. Then when something else comes up we all need to worry about what the public may say by doing something we like and take a stance on.

Now because hunting females does not get attention all is good and we should just all be happy. I did not see anything in that great fact sheet you posted that said taking a collared elephant would hurt anything. Oh dam I forgot that subject is all about the general public thoughts though.

One day the few of you will wake up and support legal hunting but I think it may just be to late. Now go back get on that high horse and throw some rocks in your glass house.

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Shore’s link provides great and specific information on elephant numbers inside Zimbabwe. That information convinces me that hunting cows are necessary to maintain herd demographics to land available. Actually, more should be shot, but it is simply not palatable. The point is no harm is done and good is done by shooting cows to the ecological scheme in Zimbabwe.

The point is twofold. First, getting this information broken down and distributed to front line hunting advocates and placing this information in digestible bites to the greater body politic. This is where the targeted professional PR comes in. Most normal folks are not going to read Mr. Shores link they need the big points spoon fed to them.

Second by effectively placing such information into the communication ethos through traditional and social media. We engage non hunters before the next or fiascos takes place. This would be proactive advocacy designed to win minds. Instead of the cure reactionary back foot we find ourselves on.

I think we need professionals speaking on college campuses, commercials on none hunting media, bombardment of digestible information on Soical Media about topics like this.

The fact sheet posted by Mjines does it fairly well, but it needs to disseminated. Preferably by a third party who is not as easily attacked as being pro hunting. Because citations often get lost on folks.

Thank you,
Mr. Shores and Mjines.

Posts: 10911 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the subject of the ban came up , there were a lot of opinion writers in various places expressing their opinions. I responded god knows how many times. After a lead in, my response was basically, did you know....... I started quoting facts. Not emotion but facts. it actually got some positive responses. Not from everyone. A lot of people were shocked at the facts.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
One elephant killed legally, is creating so much fuss from the freaks!

Thousands killed every year by poachers, and not a word is heard!! Mad

All these utterly stupid so called animal lovers and conservation organizations are nothing but self serving idiots!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd for one of the only posts that makes any sense among all of the rumor spreaders and hypocrites.
shane

quote:
quote:

Carry on. I'm out!!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
Thanks Todd for one of the only posts that makes any sense among all of the rumor spreaders and hypocrites.
shane

quote:
quote:

Carry on. I'm out!!

Nobody is trying to impose their standards on anybody,it is just common sense to do things a certain way,we need solidarity,not petty egos,no offense.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
One elephant killed legally, is creating so much fuss from the freaks!

Thousands killed every year by poachers, and not a word is heard!! Mad

All these utterly stupid so called animal lovers and conservation organizations are nothing but self serving idiots!

Well said!

I was watching one of the nature shows on Netflix not long ago and it stated that there were only 1,000 male elephants left in Sub Sahara Africa. Just more fake news. I know that I saw at least 300 in Botswana not long ago.

I have been on a few elephant hunts but never killed a nice bull. I told a fellow AR member not long ago that I would to take my 12 year old son on a elephant hunt before he turns 18. Think about when he is 65 how many fellow hunters will be able to say that they have hunted elephants!

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

+1

This is all about saving the last of the big tuskers. Once they are gone there is zero chance for any ar member will see another one in their lifetime.

Also the elephants that will survive will also look very similar in ivory. The East African long tusk sadly are already becoming history.

Mike

More evidence of the antis wining the publicity war. They've got us hunters using their false narratives.

Any amount of critical thinking will reveal that this bull passed along his genes many times over his lifetime ... meaning the only thing required to see similar sized bulls from his lineage is time to grow.

But it makes a nice EMOTIONAL argument ... the very thing the anti's use as ammunition against our science / fact based conservation arguments.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There are approximately 11,000 elephant in Gonarezhou. Of that number, 20 have been given radio collars. That is about 0.18%. Does not seem to be asking much of hunters to take a pass on a collared elephant in those circumstances . . . and if we do not then we should not be surprised when reasonable people that do not hunt, fail to simply shut up and walk away in response to our defense that "it was legal".

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is THAT what the radio collar looks like? (Saeed's post above). I looked up 'elephant radio collar' images online and indeed, that's what they look like.

I'm sorry, folks; but that could ABSOLUTELY go unseen. Hell, sometimes you can't see the WHOLE DAMN ELEPHANT at 25 yards (until it moves.)

In shade, it's pretty close to the color of the elephant!!!

If there is an actual 'iconic' collared animal that goes on walkabout into a hunting area, the group monitoring it SHOULD ONE THOUSAND PERCENT notify safari operators IMMEDIATELY. And there should be a solid, fast system set up to do so.

So; It's day 10 of a 14 day hunt. You are 5km inside the hunting area on a big track. Your PH gets a glimpse of some big ivory through the bush. "BIG BULL, BIIIG BULL!" He whispers to you.
You close in, the ele moves a bit and you have a side brain shot available. You are 20 yards away and the breeze could shift at any second, ruining your chances. So this is the time to tell the PH "I want a FULL view of his neck/shoulder to make sure he's not collared."??? REALLY???

RIIIIIIIGHT. If someone expects me to believe they'd do that, I am calling a massive 'bullshit' on that individual.
In open country, sure. In thick bush, bullshit.

Which is why those doing the study need to notify the safari company.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
Is THAT what the radio collar looks like? (Saeed's post above). I looked up 'elephant radio collar' images online and indeed, that's what they look like.

I'm sorry, folks; but that could ABSOLUTELY go unseen. Hell, sometimes you can't see the WHOLE DAMN ELEPHANT at 25 yards (until it moves.)

In shade, it's pretty close to the color of the elephant!!!

If there is an actual 'iconic' collared animal that goes on walkabout into a hunting area, the group monitoring it SHOULD ONE THOUSAND PERCENT notify safari operators IMMEDIATELY. And there should be a solid, fast system set up to do so.

So; It's day 10 of a 14 day hunt. You are 5km inside the hunting area on a big track. Your PH gets a glimpse of some big ivory through the bush. "BIG BULL, BIIIG BULL!" He whispers to you.
You close in, the ele moves a bit and you have a side brain shot available. You are 20 yards away and the breeze could shift at any second, ruining your chances. So this is the time to tell the PH "I want a FULL view of his neck/shoulder to make sure he's not collared."??? REALLY???

RIIIIIIIGHT. If someone expects me to believe they'd do that, I am calling a massive 'bullshit' on that individual.
In open country, sure. In thick bush, bullshit.

Which is why those doing the study need to notify the safari company.

That why it is the PH (Martin Pieters) job to keep a cool head and control the situation. If you cannot be sure you have the client pass. The Park asked and I am convinced there was an agreement not to shoot the collard bulls. Martin Pieters did it twice.

Posts: 10911 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I make no comment about blame because I wasn't there & don't know the real story but I do know it's often harder than you'd expect to spot a collar especially if it's been on the animal for a while and/or if the animal has been in the mud and/or if it's in thick bush/dark shadow etc and/or depending on the angle you see the animal and/or where it's ears and/or trunk is.

Check this pic & note not only the dart in his arse but also the fact the pic was taken in good light.............. albeit many years ago.

I reckon there are many ways a collar might be missed.

https://imgur.com/IKPg5Ep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check this pic & note not only the dart in his arse but also the fact the pic was taken in good light

BS ... its just your imagination - there ain't no collar nor a dart on its arse.

You sure you haven't been at the green pipe again? Big Grin

Posts: 1906 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1

Mike

More evidence of the antis wining the publicity war. They've got us hunters using their false narratives.

Any amount of critical thinking will reveal that this bull passed along his genes many times over his lifetime ... meaning the only thing required to see similar sized bulls from his lineage is time to grow.

But it makes a nice EMOTIONAL argument ... the very thing the anti's use as ammunition against our science / fact based conservation arguments.

Hunter's don't own the wildlife. We share it with everyone in the world. Some people like to travel to Gonarezhou and photo/view wildlife. Operators guiding such need animals to view as well.

Big tuskers are rare...no credible ele expert will tell you different. Tuskers are an attraction for non-hunting public and due to rarity are usually well known in parks. The big bull shot in Malapati a couple of years ago was a rare exception.

As Mike so correctly stated...very few ele are collared.

FZS will freely admit to collaring strictly for protection banking on the strong ethical code of Zim PHs.

Hunters...if we are to maintain our privilege...are going to have to get along with photo-safari operators and hunting friendly ecological/conservation groups like FZS...or the public will eventually take that privilege away.

For me...it does not seem like rocket science.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

Mike

Hunter's don't own the wildlife. We share it with everyone in the world. Some people like to travel to Gonarezhou and photo/view wildlife. Operators guiding such need animals to view as well.

Big tuskers are rare...no credible ele expert will tell you different. Tuskers are an attraction for non-hunting public and due to rarity are usually well known in parks. The big bull shot in Malapati a couple of years ago was a rare exception.

As Mike so correctly stated...very few ele are collared.

FZS will freely admit to collaring strictly for protection banking on the strong ethical code of Zim PHs.

Hunters...if we are to maintain our privilege...are going to have to get along with photo-safari operators and hunting friendly ecological/conservation groups like FZS...or the public will eventually take that privilege away.

For me...it does not seem like rocket science.

So wouldn't it be that much less complex to outlaw shooting collared animals? Would it not make for stronger bonds if the orgs like FZS and the hunting outfitters kept an open line of communication to warn that collared animals have traveled into hunting areas?

I don't know whether or not MP saw the collar on this bull, only he knows that. But I find it quite plausible that he didn't given the conditions. But I can imagine were it unlawful to take a collared bull and if MP had also been forewarned the bull was in his hunting area, that he could have discussed this with his client and taken extra measures to ensure this bull was not shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So does there need to be a slot limit like they do for some fisheries. Elephants from 40lbs to 60lbs. Sounds like a nightmare to me if I were a PH.

How would it effect hunting elephants if one knew one couldn't shoot a large one, since now we need to ensure someone can take a photo.

Make elephant hunting so complicated as to make it impractical. No thanks.

Allowing a collar to be a "thing" is only the beginning. Next all those elephants being photographed whether collared or not will also get a name I imagine and therefore will also be off limits.

It certainly is not rocket science, but it does require rational/logical argument. Although the equation showing the benefits of elephant hunting compared to elephant tourism might be enlightening. Aren't there elephants to photograph because of hunters?

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I can imagine were it unlawful to take a collared bull and if MP had also been forewarned the bull was in his hunting area, that he could have discussed this with his client and taken extra measures to ensure this bull was not shot.

. . . or if someone shot a collared bull less than ten years prior that raised quite a stink at the time when the excuse was that the collar could not be seen.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake mate, it was no secret that this bull was in Naivasha.

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to think there is only so much hell the FZS can raise without having a problem themselves. Thus, we are hearing little from them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But I can imagine were it unlawful to take a collared bull and if MP had also been forewarned the bull was in his hunting area, that he could have discussed this with his client and taken extra measures to ensure this bull was not shot.

. . . or if someone shot a collared bull less than ten years prior that raised quite a stink at the time when the excuse was that the collar could not be seen.

Fair enough, but that still requires on my part to speculate that he didn't make an effort to ensure no collar was present. Again I don't know truly what did or did not happen, only MP knows that. So maybe he is in fact guilty of you breaching your standard of ethics even if he broke no law.

Back to my point in my previous post, make it a law that you can't shoot collared animals and we're not having this debate.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . what is important is that apparently it breached ZPHGA ethical standards. They should be commended for embracing ethical conduct by members . . . in fact their website features prominently on the home page "Ethics are Everything!"

Not sure why we need laws for everything when just a little good judgment will often suffice.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have to think there is only so much hell the FZS can raise without having a problem themselves. Thus, we are hearing little from them.

I think there is some truth in this. The statement they have provided doesn't condemn hunting, but doesn't fully support it either.

Definitely not like the folks at Oxford when that lion was killed.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . what is important is that apparently it breached ZPHGA ethical standards. They should be commended for embracing ethical conduct by members . . . in fact their website features prominently on the home page "Ethics are Everything!"

Not sure why we need laws for everything when just a little good judgment will often suffice.

But you've argued that this is a threat to hunting, that incidents like this can cause our hunting privelges to go away. And I'd argue if that is the case, then it also threatens the conservation of elephant and all African game. I think you'd agree that that is important too.

If all of this is true I think it's important enough to raise the bar from being an ethical standard, which will never be agreed upon by everyone, to a new and enforceable law. It won't matter whether or not you agree with it.

Someone once determined that shooting female leopards was not good for conservation. So much so that they outlawed it. Big fines for the PH when this happens as I understand it. As such, the PH's are extremely careful to identify a rather small portion of the animal from roughly 50 yards +/- before they take the tom.

Seems if it works for leopards, this would work for a collared elephant. And if any question arises from the public, it can now be shown that the hunting community takes their concerns seriously by outlawing the practice.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

The variability of human nature. The increase in laws makes a rather sad comment on this.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We have plenty of laws . . . what we have a shortage of is good judgment. But rest assured if we continue to exercise poor judgment, then the laws will change and the result is likely to be more draconian than if we had simply done a better job of just acting responsibly in the first place.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have plenty of laws . . . what we have a shortage of is good judgment. But rest assured if we continue to exercise poor judgment, then the laws will change and the result is likely to be more draconian than if we had simply done a better job of just acting responsibly in the first place.

Mike,
My hat is off to that statement.

It should be placed at the top of the webpage for us to read every day.

J. Lane Easter, DVM