THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bolts and Doubles *** A speed shooting competition - Video
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolts and Doubles *** A speed shooting competition - Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd: I am curious which trigger you shoot first? Do you feel you are faster with the front or rear trigger first or doesn't it matter? I have always shot rear trigger first to prevent an accidental doubling but have never experimented to see if one is faster than the other.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
As mentioned in the video, Eric brought out his Lon Paul custom 416 Rigby. It spit a round out on the ground on the first try, jammed on the second and third try.

Todd, to someone who is competent with a bolt rifle, I would interperate this quote as a direct implication as to the quality of the rifle and it's maker.

I am glad you took the time to clarify it

A good man with a familiar rifle - either double or bolt - is a pleasure to watch
Thanks for sharing the video - you did well.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
LJS, I shoot the front first. But a properly functioning DR should be able to shoot either first, depending on the situation, as in the condition of having a solid and expanding in the barrels. Time after time, I find this is the way to carry a double when afield, and not hot on the trail of specific game, such as ele. Then, one of the nice things about the double is that you can reload with both of the selected bullet types almost silently, even in close to game.

Here's a perfect example. On the video I posted of my recent ele hunt, where I used the 577NE, I started that little clip with a elephant cow chasing us down a river bottom. At the time, we were attempting to sneak up on a pride of lions who were enjoying our bait that we had just taken down since scoring on my lion the previous day. We just wanted to get some pictures. However, we were obviously carrying rifles for self defense. I had two Non-Con's in the 9.3 double and my PH had a soft in his 458 Lott. For the lions obviously in the oft event trouble started. But as seen in the video, we walked past an ele cow, that we didn't see until passing her. She took offense to us and began chasing us. Luckily, we didn't have to shoot, but I would have been much better equipped to handle that situation with a solid in one of the barrels. Even with the relatively few safaris I've been on, I've had similar circumstances occur on a regular basis, so yea, shooting either trigger first should be something the rifle can do. And whichever method works for you is fine. I think it has mostly to do with the way you learned it. Probably would be tough to recondition yourself to switch.

I think the other thing that is tough to relearn with a double is with which hand you load. I use the weak hand, keeping the trigger finger hand on the rifle, on the pistol grip, pulling the rifle close into the ammo belt, and load holding the cartridges as in the picture on the header of the "Double Rifle" forum of AR. Other guys say they can control the cartridges better using the strong hand but I've not been able to make that work as well.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this http://www.rumormillnews.com/c...noframes;read=270380

This certainly complicates the debate! sofa

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

And if you fire ONE shot only?.... waste some time looking for the ejected live round in the long grass? Wink

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

And if you fire ONE shot only?.... waste some time looking for the ejected live round in the long grass? Wink

I've seen that thing many times before, and it is far better made that any repeating double rifle I've ever seen.

I think this deserves a new thread to discuss the viability of the bolt. lever, and pump actioned double rifle designs!

...................................................................... popcorn jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen that thing many times before, and it is far better made that any repeating double rifle I've ever seen.

Some savvy engineering in that action, ejecting shells left and right but still can't figure out what happens to the remaining live round if one only is fired.

It must be quite a weight to have to lug around as well.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I just started a new thread on the merits of a bolt action double rifle. My suggestion is take all your comments to that thread, this one is dead!

...................................................................... popcorn Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote