New
Find
Notify
Tools

bison with stone point....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First of all this was NOT a free range hunt, it was on a 600 acre high fence where I owned and kept two bull bison. I decided to kill one of them for the freezer.

As I am a lifelong trad bow shooter and flintknapper the weapon of choice was a natural....

Dwyer Defiant R/D longbow, 57# and hickory shafted arras with self knapped stone points...
raw Texas chert tri-notch...

raw Coastal Plains Dalton style point...

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried twice to approach the bulls but they wern't allowing it. They were NOT tame animals. Finally made a 300 yard stalk under a steep hill and climbed to the top. The bulls were 30 yards away and moving towards me. I drew while the lead bull went behind a large pine tree and waited. At twelve yards I took a broadside shot to the rear of the left shoulder, arrow penetrated to the cresting, hitting both lungs. The bull spun around and jogged off as I hit him with a second arra...hitting too far back on a large rib. The head fractured and penetration was maybe eight inches.

The bull went two hundred yards and down from the first arrow...

Thats my grandson Dylan who was along with me. He will tell you he is now a "buffalo hunter"....

The bull was near 2000# live on the hoof

after processing I got near 700# of meat in two freezers...

and a eight foot by ten foot hide to be tanned..

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Very cool, shot my buffalo couple years ago, the wife says i might have to go shot another one soon as she is missing the meat.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta tell you, I'm impressed. Great job. I shoot a buffalo almost every year with my Sharps, and we love the meat. A 1650 pound bull will fill a 21 cubic foot freezer.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thats my grandson Dylan who was along with me. He will tell you he is now a "buffalo hunter"....
Big Grin That is great.

Very impressed with your Stone Points.

Congratulations!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:

well heck yeah! i'd say the same thing! Awesome!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Super work on those points. That is one awesome animal.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the hide is almost salt dry and ready to send off...

and the Bison burgers are to kill for....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool. I have a question . Where'd you get the Bison? Thanks.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got two bulls three years ago, given to me by a man that couldn't keep em fenced.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is the second arra, point broken by impact fracture. It failed to penetrate more than 5-6 inches. The first arrow with a different head did the deed.

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Dtala, first, congrats on hunting your bison with your own traditional point. Secondly, have you ever been to the Old Stone Fort knap-in at Manchester, TN? Seems like we met some years ago. I haven't touched any flint in 5 years other than expanding my artifact collecting.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great that you did it that way. I have a $250 piece of Obsidian sitting on my hearth waiting for me to start chipping away. I would love to kill a deer with a stone pointed arrow.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of George Dina
posted Hide Post
Awesome animal! I would love to hunt such an animal, to bad we don t have them in Europe.

Posts: 60 | Location: Romania | Registered: 24 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They do have them in Europe, they are called wisent or European bison. I don't believe any hunting of them is allowed. I do know someone that shot one at a game farm in the US however!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
great job! very interesting hunt/harvest. I love buffalo meat too!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of George Dina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loboga:
They do have them in Europe, they are called wisent or European bison. I don't believe any hunting of them is allowed. I do know someone that shot one at a game farm in the US however!

My mistake, we have wisent in Poland and they can be hunted but for the insignificant price starting from 20.000 euros. CRYBABY

one of us
posted Hide Post
George, it would probably cheaper for you to fly to Colorado to shoot one!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of George Dina
posted Hide Post
How much money we talk for this hunt?
Sorry for offtopic!

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by srose

quote:
I have a $250 piece of Obsidian sitting on my hearth waiting for me to start chipping away.

I had no idea Obsidian brought that kind of money. When I was a kid we'ed go to eastern Oregon I knew a place there where I could pick it up by the bucket.

DTala- Great post I really enjoyed your last topic with the deer and turkey, I'm still finding it hard enough to hunt with a longbow and modern broadheads I doubt that I'll ever garduate to your level of pure archery.

George Dina - I don't know what the current price is but you can shoot a Buffalo at the tripple U ranch in South Dekota fairly cheap. That is the ranch where Dances with wolves was filmed. I got mine there for about $1200 but that was 15 years ago. I'd guess you can still do it for $2500 or so. Thats just a guess.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I just checked and the hunt price is $2750 for the head and hide, $4200 if you want to keep the meat.

I have a friend from Austria who hunted with them the same year I did. I'm sure he thought it was much cheaper than Wiesent from Poland or Belarus, also much bigger than the European buff.

For the guys here who would like to shoot one with a bow like DTala the Triple U will only do that if you take the meat also for the $4200 price.

I went with a friend on a free range hunt. He was lucky enough to draw a tag here in AK.
Bisen being what they are I did not see much differance between hunting them (free range) on a barly farm in AK or a big ranch in SD. I guess there is a reason why the market hunters were able to bring the numbers down from millions too thousands in a few decades.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of George Dina
posted Hide Post
Sir,
how large was the area were you hunt?

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
As I recall the ranch is something like 70,000 acres (30,000 hectors).

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124