THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Head Trauma, PM sent...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys

I just got off the phone with the contacts that Head Trauma has. I bought 3 of the WSSM rifles they had in stock, all Ultimate Shadows, blue, but all WSSMs, suitable for either 50 B&M Super Short, or the new upcoming 458 B&M Super Short. These are not WSM rifles for the larger 50-458-416-or 9.3 B&M. They are all out of the Control Feed WSMs. They do have some Shadow Push/control WSM rifles that would be OK (rather see control feed) for 9.3---458, but not for the 50 B&M. They have been done in 50 B&M, but I much rather they be done in Control Feed guns.

A very very good deal too, thanks so much Head Trauma!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I checked here before I called, as I am on the hunt for a control feed WSM for a future 458 B&M...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey JohnnyReb

How are you? Long time! Anyway, yes I bought the 3 WSSM rifles, I won't use them for myself, but somewhere along the line someone will want either a 50 Super Short or the new upcoming 458 Super Short, so if someone does they can have one of these for what I have in them. They have already been shipped and on the way.

I wish they would have all been WSM rifles however! I think Biebs got the last one these guys had! He is building a 458 B&M also.

I have some donor rifles in WSM control feed guns, various stocks, mostly blue guns I think, if interested I can look thru what I have and let you know, drop me a PM. All of them have been bought similar to the deal today, but not quite as good as todays deal on the WSSM guns. Thanks again Head Trauma.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang I knew I shoulda checked this thread earlier! Know if they have any of those WSSM's left Michael? I was gettin ready to PM you about some smaller SS's, that 458 is one of the ones I wanted to discuss with ya! Still think a .411 would be cooler though Wink

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
milehi

Like I said, you can have one of these for what I have in it. I did not get them for me to build. I always keep some on hand, wsm and wssm. 458 Super Short, well I think it will be pretty good, limited I think to 400 gr bullets and less. Not much magazine to work with on the WSSM, so I think .411 is in with the 416, which means--Out! Bullets too long for magazine, would be very limited to smaller bullets I think. That's why there won't be a 416 super short. Just 458, maybe 475 at some point, have it drawn up, but 458 and 50 are King for these little guns.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

BTW, hi! Haha, been away for a while and I don't think we've run across each others threads yet.

You know I always liked that 475 idea, since you could use the 480 Ruger bullets.

Thanks for the offer, if I don't end up finding anything around town I will send you a PM on an action.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I am a little soured on 475 caliber with all the issues I had over the years with the 470 Capsticks. But you are 100% correct, in the Super Shorts many of the better 475 handgun bullets can be used. In the 50 Super Short most all the handgun bullets work very well in it. Those that are a little too soft for the velocity can be downloaded to where the bullet is terminally functional. I have not looked at 475 caliber bullets much lately, so not sure what all is available these days. Always in rifle it is somewhat limited when compared to 458 caliber. Of course almost anything is limited when compared to the number of different bullets available in 458! A 475 B&M Super Short would have to rely on the handgun bullets as a steady diet, and nothing wrong with that either, just that 500 gr bullets in the Super Short would come up short on velocity some. Probably around 1600 fps would be tops with a 500.

The 50 Super Short can run the 500 Hornady to 1700 fps, and of course terminal performance at that velocity is fantastic with that bullet. That bullet is so good it holds together to at least 2100 fps. But that is getting to the top end of it's terminal performance levels. Other's that do extremely well are both the barnes, 325 and 375 gr bullets (pointy too great for the rifle) the 385 Remington Bonded CoreLock, 400 Sierra up to 2000 fps, but best of all are the .500 caliber bullets I get David Fricke to do, and very much looking forward to the 350 Brass HP that I just tested in the 50 SS at 2175 fps. That will be the new "Hammer" for the 50 Super Short!

In the new 458 B&M Super Short I suspect one of the most used bullets in those little guns will be Hornady's 325 Flex Tip that I tested even in the 458 B&M recently. I am quite sure it will be at the top of the list for that cartridge.

Soon as the reamers are finished there are going to be some new additions to the B&M family, other than the 458 B&M Super Short. I had a reamer done for a new 375 B&M, 2.25 inch case same as the 9.3 B&M and the rest, WSM action, I suppose we will go with a 20 inch barrel on it, same as the 9.3. I will not be developing this one, JohnOMS will be handling the development of this cartridge, with an assist from me when he needs it. I suspect it will be every bit as successful as the 9.3 B&M has been. However since I don't do 375 caliber anything, this one will be on John! I did think of one great advantage with the 375 B&M--In using 375 RUM brass to make 375 B&M, one need not worry about head stamps! That will be great!

Also in this batch of reamers (couple of weeks I think maybe?) there will be the new 458 B&M SA included. We already have a working rifle in 50 B&M SA, Brian is still working with it some, I think all is well with it, he is just playing with it some before sending it to me! These will be some fun rifles to work with.

So unless I forgot something that is 3 new B&M cartridges coming to a show near you very soon! 375 B&M--458 B&M SA--458 B&M Super Short. Introducing the 50 B&M SA, not new, but in a new package. Of course the new reamer for the 500 MDM that I have changed the specs on some is in this batch too.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey michael458,

I am good, struck out for deer this season in NY. Misplaced my lone magazine for my CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel, so I was hunting with a single shot. At least muzzleloader season in NJ does not end until Feb, so I have plenty of time to get a doe or two for the larder.

I have not been really actively seeking a WSM donor rilfe, but I keep my eyes and ears open for deals. I did participate in the QDMA raffle as it had some WSM rifles as prizes, but no luck. If you had a WSM you wanted to let walk out the door, what might you be asking for it?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Johnny

I have a few WSMs on hand, but no real great deals on any. Just keep them for folks that want to build a gun. I think I have one, or two Blue Ultimates that I have $500 in, same with a laminated gun, Have two sporters I have $750 in. The rest I just keep looking on gunbroker or other places for some decent rifles to build on. Anyone that wants one of these is welcome to them for what I have in them.

I also have some rifles built already for anyone that might want one ready to go. My cost is all. I am not in the gun business, and don't want to be, but do have these on hand.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between the Blue Ultimates and the Sporters?

I want to do a 458 B&M with a peep and post/scout scope setup. Have not decided on stock or finish yet. I have an M1 garand with a scout scope setup, and I like the way it shoots, so I thought I might try the same setup with a big bore...

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The Ultimates are Classic control feed guns, the stock is the plastic one with the rubber inserts. The Sporter has the low grade walnut stock. Most of them are very dark. Nice, good stocks, but rather plain. But these stocks can handle all the recoil the B&Ms can churn out.

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the Sporter a CRF as well, with a Pachmayr recoil pad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
And where are you in SC? I am originally from Winston-Salem NC, been to Myrtle Beach many times, Charleston twice, Hilton Head once, and spent a lovely October and November at Fort Jackson in Columbia in 1992...Wink

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Johnny

Yes of course the Sporter is control feed. No Winchesters on the compound that are not control feed guns! Yes, with the nice recoil pad!

Close to Myrtle Beach--Conway.

Be glad you didn't spend July and August at Ft Jackson!

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the summers in NC that I knew so well, I thought October and November would be better. It was still warm in October, but nothing close to the brutality of July and August in the Carolinas.

If you wanted to dispose of one of your M70 sporters, would we need to go FFL to FFL? Not a problem, just a question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For future possible reference,Michael, who does your reamers? Thanks.

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Johnny

Here in July and August just plan to hover under the air conditioner as you cannot go outside! 100 degrees--99% Humidity! No fun at all. The rest of the year is great!

Would need to go FFL to FFL on the rifles, but that is easy!

Mike

Dave Manson makes all the reamers.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I would like to know more about the 500 MDM.

What can you tell me about that cartridge.

Timan

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Timan

I’m sure Michael will respond to your request fairly quickly it he hasn’t left town yet till Christmas.

In the meantime, the 500 MDM is basically the 375 RUM case blown out to accept a .500” diameter bullet…Michael has changed the original specifications to a .350” length neck from the original .540” length neck and I believe is still awaiting the new reamer.

Here are a couple of AR threads where Michael discuses the cartridge, his rifles, and his recent Aussie buff hunt…there are pictures of the cartridge and rifle…
500 MDM (Big Bore Forum):
http://forums.accuratereloadin...211050401#6211050401
Aussie Buff Hunt (Big Bore Forum):
http://forums.accuratereloadin...811041021#3811041021
Aussie Buff Hunt (Australian and New Zealand Hunting Forum):
http://forums.accuratereloadin...381070021#1381070021

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tinman

Very briefly it is a .500 caliber cartridge, 375 RUM full length, works in a Winchester M70 with 21 inch barrel. Capable of 550 gr bullets at 2250 fps, or 510s at 2350 fps, a 470 HP at 2400 fps.

A little about it here on a buffalo shoot in Australia.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3981035711&f=4711043

I am changing it just a bit from it's current form, shorten the neck to .350 and moving shoulder forward. New reamer should be in any day now for that change.

I will be leaving town tomorrow, the 18th, but will be in the office early morning. I won't be around a computer or communications until the 24th. So if I don't get back to you with any more questions, will have to catch you when I return, sorry.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

Thank you very much! I almost missed Tinman, but I can always rely upon my pals to look after me! Our posts 1 minute apart! I appreciate that, one thing that is a pet peeve, and that's getting back to folks in a timely manner! I appreciate in my absence from time to time buddies looking after folks that have a question!

Off to bed with me have a big day tomorrow. I have 4 kids in the truck for 7 hrs and 20 inches of snow to contend with, thank you very much it will be a day of it for sure! Off to the mountains for a little snow play for a few days! One must ask "Why Michael, what rifle will you be taking with you just in case a rogue bear raids the cabin?" My answer is a little tiny Win M70 50 B&M Super Short, stoked with 3 of those wicked ass 350 gr Brass HP NONCONS at 2175 fps. I reckon that ought to do just fine! Just too bad the damn bears are sleeping now eh? Well, man's gotta have a rifle along just in case!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I had an idea about that 500 MDM.

Fitting the extractor for 500 MDM.

It seems to me the 500 MDM could benefit some from a slight interfereance fit at the nose of the extractor. I'm not suggesting a hard crush but rather just enough "feel" at the end of bolt rotation as the lugs come over the end of the cams the extactor engauges the end of the chamber just enough to push the extractor back to grab a little harder bite on the rim of the case which would plant the whole case head firmly against the bolt face for ignition.
helping some with headspace.

A mauser extractor that is working correctly will move back and fourth .020 .
When the bolt is cycled and the fired round is ejected the ejector pushes the case and the extactor forward .020 thus opening the tolerance between the bolt face and the extractor to allow easy passage of the next rim into the bolt face as it is stripped off the stack.
Then with slightly tighter tolerance at the front of the extractor the rim could then be slightly pinched again at battry.
500 mdm caught my eye after a phone call a guy was intrested in it and I been mulling the last couple days what would be the way to handle the rim and limited shoulder of the 500 MDM for headspace location.
Baically set up a situation where it headspaces on the extractor.
I guess it all depends on how the breech of a M-70 is set up. One could create the same by doing a M-70 breech so its square instead of cone with a bolt mod.
turn the cone into a square like a Dakota which mimicks an mauser breech but the square breech is in the barrel.
Just a thought or two on the idea, surely I want to tread lightly here and not stir anybodys
ways. Itis how I would go about it.
I have a half dozen pederson .510's in the rack and sometimes the mind wanders a bit you know.
Timan

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Timan--I am sorry, I was looking at and seeing "Tinman". Damn glasses I suppose!

I did not know exactly what I was going to run into when I built the first 50 B&M prototype guns. Thru reason and logic it seemed to me that any cartridge regardless of shoulder, belt, rim, when run thru a control feed rifle, that the cartridge could not possibly go further into the chamber than the extractor would allow it to go. So full steam ahead, lets build the rifle and see what happens. The first 50 B&M was actually a 2 inch case, not the current 2.25. I figured I would not need that extra case capacity because of available bullets, I was still thinking inside the box. After several thousand rounds of test work I learned about CNC machines and that I could get any bullet I could conceive made. In addition to that, there were a few available bullets that would work at higher velocities too, as I discovered. Next step was todays 2.25 inch case and that extra 200-300 fps in that 1/4 inch. A few more thousand rounds were fired and tested in that case. Then I discovered a WSSM action and next came a 50 B&M Super Short! But the 458 and 416 B&M were already in the works at that time too. Many thousands of Super Shorts have been fired too. Then with proper bullets, go all the way with the 500 MDM. Almost a 1000 fired so far, but not quite. In all these literally thousands of rounds fired there has never been any issue with ignition, or headspace, never, not even 1 round. I have never done anything special, never had the extractor worked over, never even changed one out, still the factory Winchester extractor. I have even gone so far as to prove the point that one day I fired 100 rounds of 50 B&M Super Short, the 1.65 inch case, in a 50 B&M rifle, chambered with the 2.25 inch case. That is .60 inches short! All 100 rounds fired without a hitch! 100% as I calculate. Accuracy was not all that great however, but each and every round worked and fired.

Now I am not a gunsmith, and don't want to be, I do more damage than I fix, Ask Brian at SSK, he repairs most things I break! SSK Industries builds all my rifles, Brian at SSK has a good deal of experience with me and feed, function and reliability is at the top of the list. He puts the rifles thru hell before sending, then I finish the process. You have no idea of the ruined dummy rounds we go thru in a year from going thru the guns before they get to me to make sure everything works proper with each gun. If it didn't work I would not carry. Same as my old days with carrying a 1911 45 acp of some sort, didn't work, didn't go on the hip! And from those days with the grand old daddy of all handguns in the world, came my thoughts about headspace from the extractor. It works on 1911s, and it works on rifles with control feed, regardless of cartridge.

As for your thoughts on the 500 MDM it seems you have a good handle on that, and I certainly don't see a problem with anything you propose as long as it works 100% of the time. Ask Jim (Capoward), what I know about a mauser you could put on the head of a needle. I have a pretty good idea about Winchester M70s, but when it comes to most things mechanical I leave that to much better qualified folks. I just do the shooting is all. My mind wonders about bullets and what I can shoot with them, some folks minds wonder about mechanical things, we put everything together we got a good team, eh!

Thanks for the thoughts too! And you are not stirring any issues at all!

Thanks

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Ok I'll keep all that in mind.
Thank you for the response.
Timan

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
I had an idea about that 500 MDM.

Fitting the extractor for 500 MDM.

It seems to me the 500 MDM could benefit some from a slight interference fit at the nose of the extractor. I'm not suggesting a hard crush but rather just enough "feel" at the end of bolt rotation as the lugs come over the end of the cams the extractor engages the end of the chamber just enough to push the extractor back to grab a little harder bite on the rim of the case which would plant the whole case head firmly against the bolt face for ignition.
Helping some with headspace.
A mauser extractor that is working correctly will move back and fourth .020 .
When the bolt is cycled and the fired round is ejected the ejector pushes the case and the extractor forward .020 thus opening the tolerance between the bolt face and the extractor to allow easy passage of the next rim into the bolt face as it is stripped off the stack.
Then with slightly tighter tolerance at the front of the extractor the rim could then be slightly pinched again at battery.
Timan,

Michael gives me far more credit than deserved. I’ve not seen the Mason generated reamer schema for any of the B&M or MDM cartridges though Michael has been kind enough to share a sample of each cartridge along with the various .500” diameter SST bullets that he uses in each.

Your idea of the slight-snug fit between cartridge rim and extractor when the bolt lugs are fully seated certainly has merit; it definitely would give firm headspace by eliminating the typical fore to alt movement of the cartridge. A new extractor may be required to accommodate the snugger fit in an existing CRF action.

The Mauser boys knew what they were doing when they designed the M98 CRF action with its long extractor; after 100 years it’s still probably the best designed action and extractor for DG cartridge based rifles.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Just out of interest ... on the 50s ... are the reamers designed to cut a square case mouth section as a headspace 'back-up', or is it all up to the extractor to hold the cartridge back?
Cheers...
Con
PS: No rush either ... your probably on holidays. Smiler

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Michael,
Just out of interest ... on the 50s ... are the reamers designed to cut a square case mouth section as a headspace 'back-up', or is it all up to the extractor to hold the cartridge back?
Cheers...
Con
PS: No rush either ... your probably on holidays. Smiler
bewildered Con I would swear that someone asked that same question of Michael in another thread but I don’t recollect that he ever answered it.

I’m assuming here…and you know what happens with that…that the reamer has the normal taper in the case mouth section of the chambering reamer…relying solely on the Mauser style extractor for headspace. At least that is the specification for the 50 MDM, a 45º taper.

I PM'd Michael so that he doesn't miss your question.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
capoward,
It was probably me that asked and I've forgotten. Big Grin Interesting about the 50 MDM, why didn't you cut it as a 90deg square stop? Awhile back I corresponded with a US 'smith that was making 44/08 and 44/06's succesfully using Rem700s and head-spacing on the case mouth. Ken Howell did it with his 429Express (I think that's what it was called) which was essentially a rimless 444Marlin and he used M98s from memory.

Begs the question though ... will you chamfer case mouths and does a heavy crimp affect the headspace ... but I suppose it's the extractor that's doing part/most of the work. I think Micheal mentioned he trimmed cases deliberately short and they still worked well.
Cheers...
Con

posted Hide Post
Michaael458,

sir can you please send info on your 50 MDM. Will it work in a Montana 1999 action? Am considering this cartridge and looks very promising. I have a SS Montana action and would like to put together a SS synthetic big boomer. Your advice and input please thanks in advance

Posts: 60 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Con,
It may have been you that asked the question. rotflmo I may be wrong but I think Michael totally uses the extractor for headspace.

A 90º transition angle would make sense were the intent to headspace on the mouth, sounds like a real pita to be exact with brass length though… But the 50 MDM design intent is to headspace totally off the extractor so using the standard 45º transition angle just made more sense.

E. Gonzales,
Michael458 is on a family skiing trip right now and I don’t believe will be returning to the forum until the 23rd or 24th. I’m sure he’ll respond to your questions then.

As background information, the 50 MDM hasn’t been built as the reamers haven’t yet been delivered. The 500 MDM uses a full-length 375 RUM case and is designed for long actions using 3.6” length magazine; the 50 B&M is a 2¼” long RUM case and is designed for use in the short magnum action based rifles. All three cartridges utilize .500" diameter bullets.

In the interim, which Montana 1999 action do you own and what cartridge is it currently chambered in?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I just have the action, it is a new 1999 long action with a bolt face for a 458 lott. I was going to have a Lott made but I saw this thread and really like the .500 caliber. I have an interest in getting this done when funds become available. Am curious as to .500 bullets?? are they custom made and availability??Also what would the load info be and dies etc. Am really interested in a .500 with a 21 or 22 inch barrel as this would be really handy for the big stuff. Thanks alot for info

Posts: 60 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visited SSK's web site and couldnt find any prices for converting rifles to this line of cartridges. Perhaps I am blindSmiler

Anyhow, what is a ball park figure for having a Win 70 WSM rifle rebarreled by them with a stainless barrel and all the fitting and feeding work accomplished?

How much are the reloading dies?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E. Gonzales:
Thanks for the response. I just have the action, it is a new 1999 long action with a bolt face for a 458 lott. I was going to have a Lott made but I saw this thread and really like the .500 caliber. I have an interest in getting this done when funds become available. Am curious as to .500 bullets?? are they custom made and availability??Also what would the load info be and dies etc. Am really interested in a .500 with a 21 or 22 inch barrel as this would be really handy for the big stuff. Thanks alot for info
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Visited SSK's web site and couldnt find any prices for converting rifles to this line of cartridges. Perhaps I am blindSmiler

Anyhow, what is a ball park figure for having a Win 70 WSM rifle rebarreled by them with a stainless barrel and all the fitting and feeding work accomplished?

How much are the reloading dies?
Where’s Michael when you need him…oh yes he’s off skiing! I’ll try to answer your questions in the interim; these are to the best of my recollection:

.500” Diameter Bullets
Bullets designed for the 500 S&W Magnum handgun cartridge will work depending upon the hunted game and for plinking; Michael primarily uses SST copper monometal bullets in FN and HP for serious hunting.

Load Info
Load information for the 500 MDM and the various B&M cartridges are on the AmmoGuide Interactive website, here’s a link for the 500 MDM:
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/a...LWkprYsLWC&catid=704
If you search for Michael’s (Michael458) various postings regarding the 50 B&M and the 500 MDM you’ll identify his testing of the various bullet weights for both cartridges as well as recovered bullets from game.

Reloading Dies
I don’t recollect which thread it was covered in but Michael purchases the 10-pack die sets from Hornady for each of his cartridges and the extra die sets available for sale directly from him.

SST Conversion Cost
Nope you’re not blind, it’s not posted on their website…but here’s your answer:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael458:
It all depends on what you have done and your specs. Mine normally run from around $1200-$1500 depending on what I need on that particular rifle. The Ultimates so far have not needed any bedding, so that lowers the price some too. The NECG barrel band front and rear runs right at $300 of this installed. So it depends on your specs, but that is in the neighborhood.

Michael

The B&M and 500 MDM cartridges are RUM based derivates, shortened for the B&M and full length with the 500. The cheapest and easiest action for use for one of the B&M cartridges is one that is factory chambered for one of the WSM or RSAUM cartridges and for the for the 500 MDM is one that is factory chambered for one of the RUM cartridges.

Any action not factory chambered for one of these three cartridge series with require additional gunsmithing work to properly feed and function with the larger diameter RUM based cartridges.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the $1,200-$1,500 cover? Was considering a 416 but thought this would be as simple as a new barrel on an existing Win 70 WSM platform.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the $1,200-$1,500 cover? Was considering a 416 but thought this would be as simple as a new barrel on an existing Win 70 WSM platform.
I truly have no idea other than the quote from Michael. I suggest you phone SST and speak with Brian; he does the work and can fully cover what work is performed besides the simple rebarrel.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Whew, got lots of catching up to do. Thank you Jim for looking after things, and answering some of the questions in my absence. Probably answer most of this better than I can anyway!

Let me try an answer some of the questions but first MERRY CHRISTMAS guys! Hope all is well! I have been snow bound since the 18th deep in the mountains of NC. From 15-18 inches of snow kept us in and stranded pretty much until the 22cd high in the backwoods! Good fun and very relaxing, no telephones or computers to worry with! Anyway back on the compound and getting ready for two big days ahead.

Con

The 50 B&M and the 50 B&M Super Short both will head space on the mouth alone if needed. I have a Winchester 1885 in 50 B&M and a friend of mine converted a Ruger #1 in Super Short, both head space on the mouth alone. The new 50 B&M SA (semi auto 2" case) same story, headspaces on the mouth alone in semi version, rifle coming next week I think, is shooting and working fine.

500 MDM I assume will stop at mouth, but has the ghost shoulder, and extractor.

Yes, I do trim short to keep the mouth from bumping too hard on the 50s. Extractor has been 100% for many thousands of rounds. Yes, I have fired 50 Super Short--1.65 inch case many times in a 50 B&M 2.25 inch chamber just to prove the point. Accuracy is poor, lot's of bullet jump, but ignition is 100% and for sure it is extractor only doing the headspace.

EGonzales and SnowWolfe

I see no reason at all that your 1999 action would not work, but I don't know for sure about these things, call Brian at SSK Industries he will sort you out on that for sure.

Bullets are available on special order, most of the time I have a decent personal stock of the most used .500s that I work with. I place orders of 500 or more. Made by David Fricke, leighigh bullets. I have all the load data, and you are welcome to it and can send via email to you. Also I keep dies on hand at all times should anyone need them. I currently do not have extra 500 MDM dies as I have made some changes to the case, still waiting on new reamer, so 500 MDM dies are a few months out right now. Dies are available from both Hornady and RCBS special order. Soon as the new reamer comes in, Hornady will get the new specs and I will place an order for die sets. But have all other cartridges on hand.

Snowwolfe

JD keeps saying he is updating the website, but has said that for the last 5 years, He just has not made it around to it yet! LOL

Cost really depends on what you do to the rifle, your specs. It is 100% finished product, not just a barrel refit. I have built a bunch of them, from $1200-$1500 depending on what I do. In general that is new barrel, NECG barrel band front sight and rear sight, bedded if it is wood stock, blued if blue gun, 100% function and feed, trigger, action work, and whatever. For exact prices on what you want, call SSK for that info, but that is ballpark ideas, all depending on your specs.

Dies, RCBS dies at $285 my cost, Hornady from around $150 or so depending on 3 dies, or two die set is around $120.00 my cost, and my cost is what you get them for. I have that done for all those who want a rifle.

I hope this answers most of the questions in a proper manner?

In addition received some new NonCon bullets from Brian while I was out, a couple versions of HPs very light in .500 caliber, I think one is a 230 gr copper HP and the other a 300 gr brass HP---50 Super Short stuff.

Also from CON--received the 400 Woodleigh solids, test in the 458 B&M next week I hope, time permitting! Thanks Con.

To all---Merry Christmas

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:

Also from CON--received the 400 Woodleigh solids, test in the 458 B&M next week I hope, time permitting! Thanks Con.

To all---Merry Christmas

Michael

Michael,
Welcome back, I'll have some 325gr and 450gr on the way as soon as I'm back home from holidays.

Merry Christmas all.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Michael and merry christmas!

I know you have MANY projects going on, but any idea when you might start tinkering with the 458SS? I think I have found my gun, but its the CRPF, not the true CRF, so no 50 for me Frowner

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
bewildered MHS...how does one have a CRPF (controlled round push feed)??

Jim coffee
John Wayne