THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Ruger makes official announcement - 375 Ruger rifles and ammunition
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger makes official announcement - 375 Ruger rifles and ammunition Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I wonder whose bullets Hornady will use to load the ammunition. I hope it's not theirs.

Ditto. I shot a calf elk at about 50 yards with the 270 gr in my .375 and it didn't even exit the chest.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bullet can make or brake a caliber. It even gave the 9,3 x 64 and 375 H&H a bad name during the period when only frangible softs were available. The bullet in the main determines the terminal effect.

Federal wisely teamed up with TBBC bullets and I believe Norma are loading Swift A-Frame's in their factory loads; all clever decisions.

Hopefully Hornady will follow this trend with premium bullets as the application of the cartridge is destined for bigger and tougher game.

Chris

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Kimber of NYC offers rifle in this caliber I will buy one. thumb

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
paolo9,5x73...

all you have to do is rechamber ANY 7mag 300,338 win mag...buy a 7 mag and put a reamer in it...should be what $300???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
375 Ruger Reamers:
Sorry to all, we do not have any spec's for a 375 Ruger. I do not know who used my name to announce that we had reamers on the shelf. I don't even have a print for it. If this was said by one of my office staff I apologize.
As soon as Ruger or SAAMI approve the print we would love to grind as many reamers as we can sell. As of yet, we do not have prints nor the premission to grind these tools.

David Kiff @ Pacific Tool and Gauge

Posts: 10 | Location: oregon | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiff:
375 Ruger Reamers:
Sorry to all, we do not have any spec's for a 375 Ruger. I do not know who used my name to announce that we had reamers on the shelf. I don't even have a print for it. If this was said by one of my office staff I apologize.
As soon as Ruger or SAAMI approve the print we would love to grind as many reamers as we can sell. As of yet, we do not have prints nor the premission to grind these tools.

David Kiff @ Pacific Tool and Gauge

Dave, I've said I have one on order. That did not imply that the party I've ordered it from has them or has the data to make them. I meant that when the specs are known I have an order for one (Manson BTW).

I do not recall anyone ever saying that reamers were available but it might have been "ass-U-ME-d

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The 375 Ruger looks interesting to me. I hope the round and the case catch on. This could easily displace the medium bore Dakota rounds. All in all, its a sensible solution.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If Ruger will offer rifles chambered in this caliber at a price competitive to the 338 Win Mag's and 300 Weatherby's and get the big box stores like Wal-Mart to stock it and support with ammunition I believe they'll have a winner. There are is always someone looking for a bigger gun and this may be the answer John Q Sportsman wants. It all just depends on how slick Ruger's marketing and sales force is.

What will doom this project is allowing Hornaday to load the ammo with their regular soft points and limiting rifle production to some of the more specialized lines like the RSM. Time will tell...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
What will doom this project is allowing Hornaday to load the ammo with their regular soft points and limiting rifle production to some of the more specialized lines like the RSM. Time will tell...

Yep, Tex, you got that mostly right, but the Hornady made brass will save the cartridge, regardless of the bullet they load in it, as long as Ruger puts in the standard MkIIM77 in stainless and synthetic/laminate, as well as walnut and blue.

A chicken in every pot, and a .375 Ruger in every home!

Maybe the bean counters will take notice of such a catchy and original slogan? Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a 300gn @ 2700fps= recoil.

so basically it is a 338win shell without the belt? What powder is used to obtain that velocity with a 300gr, and how fast can a 270gr be pushed as compared to the 375HH?

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow ! just what the world was holding its breath for----- another useless wildcat !
wow
can't you just see all the african suppliers rushing out to get this and dumping their stocks of now obsolete 375 h&h rifles & ammo?

this will be another flash in the pan but will sell some rifles & ammo to folks who like having "the latest "

as for me, there is nothing this thing will kill any deader than my 375 h&h. it's for you, not for me.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom,
same words said of the 458lott....
the newton reborn...

to face facts, a 2.5" case, of basic HH groos diminsions, is about $700 cheaper to build than an HH length case.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
A 416 on this case would be the cat's meow. It should solve all the negatives associated with the 416 Rem and do it in a smaller package than the Rigby.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of such a new design a couple of years ago and mentioned it. That the rim and body diameter would be the same as the current belted mags thus having the same magazine capacity in theory.

Advantages would be the shorter round, no belt headspace problems for handloading and something new to sell me another gun.

Don't see myself buying a rifle in the 375 Ruger. I already have two .375 HH's and am keeping them.

I did just get back from a vacation in Alaska and got to see the climate where the brown bears are hunted. It rains there most of the time and is a dismal climate. Right now I am spending as much on the yacht clubs and boats as a safari every year. Thinking more of Africa. More shooting and better weather. I have a nice pre 64 375 HH that would be fine there.

On the other hand I wonder what the case capacity is of the new 375 Ruger necked to .30"?

A 300 magnum would be much more useful. Right now I only have an old 300 HH.

Kimber may have missed the action length boat by making the new 8400 long in magnum length with a spacer for the standard cartridges.

Choosing between a 8400 Montana in 300 WSM at 6.1 lbs vrs a 8400 Montana long in 300 Ruger that may go 6.8 lbs I see no great takeback in the half pound or more for most hunters but I am not as young as most. I was going to say that I might get a 300 Ruger but the 300 WSM will shoot the same bullets and more powder just kicks more.

In summation I don't see a new gun for me on the new 375 Ruger case but its a good idea anyway.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't think the world needs another overbore 30 cal. The Ruger case would make sense from 338 up to 416 and maybe 458 cal.

Jeff, would this case deliver results similar to your RUM-based AR series?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cc:
a 300gn @ 2700fps= recoil.

so basically it is a 338win shell without the belt? What powder is used to obtain that velocity with a 300gr, and how fast can a 270gr be pushed as compared to the 375HH?

cheers cc

cc,
The case is the full diameter of the 338 win mag belt, so it should hold substantially more powder than the 338 Win Mag case.

I imagine any powder from IMR 4895, IMR 4064, Varget, etc. up through 4350 should get you 100 fps over the 375 H&H. It's not enough for me to trade in my 375 H&H but it is probably enough to rebarrel my 7mm Mag to 416 or 423.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fjord,
sounds like it has potential as a 338 cal round, given the dia of the case. i imagine recoil will be a factor burning 70 gns or more of powder. will be interesting to see if it kicks off in australia....would be good for sambar hunting. has the potential to follow along the lines of the wsm from winchester. what sort of speeds would you think it is capable in say a 30 cal??

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
So....ballistically, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the .375 RUM? It would be a nice wildcatter, but the basic round itself leaves me not impressed. They need to commercialize the 12GaFH, now something like that would get me in a better mood!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 Ruger has the case capacity of the 375 H&H, if in fact it is a 0.532" base cartridge. Modelling suggests that to get to the level of ballistic performance they are advertising (not likely with the 300 gr pill) they are running a max average chamber pressure of 65,000 psi or 5,000psi higher than the ol' 375 H&H.

Might make a nice deer rifle loaded with 250gr Sierra Gamekings at 2850 fps.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
If I were Hornady, in addition to the full power load, I would offer a 200 or 220 gr reduced load that was about like a hot .375 winchester. That's about where I plan to handload mine for hunting stuff down here in Ga. They could also offer a .30 cal or 7mm bullet in a sabot. Then they could throw out some marketing hype about the most versatile round in the world.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
At the 2006 SCI Convention in Reno, I talked at length to a Ruger rep. My main point was a bunch of custom gun builders were making iron sighted, corrosion resistant rifles for Alaska. My suggestion was to put the new Mini-14 sights on a 338WinMag Stainless M77 AllWeather and call it the Ruger Guide Gun.

My guess is they ran with this idea, not to kill the custom gun makers, but to offer a factory product to less affluent guides and hunters than they could afford to buy.

I'm not claiming any inside knowledge on the cartridge, just possibly that I was one of many to suggest a product I would like to buy.

Let's face it, not very many shooters can reliably stop a big bear with a handgun, but lost of us can shoot a rifle well enough to save our life with one. There are countries where it's almost impossible to own a handgun, but a stainless stopping rifle would be legal.

I can't wait to see the new rifle, it's obvious they used the already well known Ruger Alaskan trademarked name instead of the Guide Rifle name suggestion.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wonder, what part of "300 grain bullets" written several times, including on the graphs, is unclear?

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,

In case you where talking to me. I understand that Hornady is claiming 300gr pills at 2700 fps. To do this they are running MAX AVG Chamber pressure of ~ 65,000 psi (same as RUM). This is ~ 5,000 psi higher than a 375 H&H. If you load a 37H&H to 65000 psi it will also spit out 300gr pills at 2700 fps. What a surprise!!!

The only advantage this 375 Ruger has over anything is it is shorter.

I would load mine with a 250gr Sierra GK and shoot deer with it. (read the first paragraph again 10 times before you attack me about the 300gr bullet weight again, please).

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
In my mind, it all comes down to case capacity. If the new Ruger case has more capacity than the H&H then I want it. If the capacity is less, then I don't want it.

Basically, I'm just looking for a cheap, widely available Dakota-clone that will fit in a standard action with little work. Is that too much to ask for? How about a 416 that will spit a 400 grain bullet at 2400 fps w/ 40K PSI and fit in a standard action? I guess I need to lobby for rewriting the laws of physics.

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
If Ruger will offer rifles chambered in this caliber at a price competitive to the 338 Win Mag's and 300 Weatherby's and get the big box stores like Wal-Mart to stock it and support with ammunition I believe they'll have a winner......

What will doom this project is allowing Hornaday to load the ammo with their regular soft points and limiting rifle production to some of the more specialized lines like the RSM.....

Those are words of wisdom!!

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMHO:

the case is twenty+ thousandths larger at the base than a 375H&H. At 2.00" it is about sixty-thousandths larger...?

I would suggest the proper comparison is a 375-338WM Improved.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 Ruger will have almost the exact same case capacity as the 375 H&H IF the Ruger has a 0.532" base diameter.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
new info from ruger...

The cartridge will be similar to the 30-06 in overall length and delivers performance that easily exceeds the 375 H&H — long considered a benchmark cartridge for African big-game hunters. The cartridge was designed from the ground up to provide greater knock-down power with a shorter cartridge. Thanks to optimized case geometry and advances to propellant technology, the Ruger 375 will set new standards for African big game rifles and ammo.

Hornady will produce the Ruger 375 in three different loads: a 270 gr. Spire Point, 300 gr. FMJ-RN (solid) and a newly designed 300 gr. InterBond.

hope this "Newly designed" interbond does not have ANY relation to the previous interbond besides name Roll Eyes

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to ScottS on this one.

If Hornady can load a .375 H&H to 2700 fps with a 300 grainer, using their voodoo Heavy Magnum top-squirrel-secret loading, then by golly they can do the same with the .375 Ruger. animal

I consider the .375 Ruger to be the equal of the .375 H&H. It does it with a .35" shorter case, and it is indeed a unique design that many of us have thought of and wished for many times over the years.

Ruger and Hornady deserve some credit for adding .008" to the 30 Newton base diameter. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 375 HH is dead as a wedge, again! hahahahaha. I sure am glad I talked myself out of selling my 375 HH M70 Classic. But now, just to one up you Ruger lovers, I'll have to rechamber to 375 Ackley! The damn thing already weighs nearly 10 pounds with a laminated stock and Swaro 30 mm scope. Might as well boost velocities an unneeded little bit. As far as a 270 grain load not exiting an elk calf, I've flattened about 8 elk so far with every thing from a 250 grain Sierra to a 300 Grain Nosler and Barnes Original. None of the elk went more than a few feet while standing up. I gotta say I love the 300 Nosler for elk in timber, but at going to try the 270 Triple Shocks this year just for grins. BTW shot one last year front on in the chest with the Nosler and the bullet didn't exit, but it sure messed up the elk in a hurry. It was nearly dark, and I didn't want to try tracking. No problem, he went about 30 feet and piled up. We hunt in timber, and putting them down on the spot is important - even 100 yards might be too far without snow. I loaned it to a friend and he piled up a bull with 270 Hornady Spire - no problem - broadside chest shot - complete penetration. Sierra 250 GAmeking same thing. Any good 375 or similar round (ie, 9.3 in various guises) is the nuts for elk, esp in timber. We lost one with a 7 Rem 160 grain load, and a good shot made too. Just went a little too far and took us too long to find her.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
From what I understood it is more a 375/300 win mag improved.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
From what I understood it is more a 375/300 win mag improved.

Oh? Would that mean it is about 2.62" long instead of 2.50"???

That would make it like a .375 Epstein on steroids.

We shall see. We could easily live with a 2.6" case though. Then it might shade the .375 H&H by a wee bit. Good.

Long action (approx):
3.60" - 2.85" = 0.75" of box room for bullet nose with .375 H&H.

Standard Mauser 98 length (approx):
3.35" - 2.60" = 0.75" of box room for bullet nose with a .375 Ruger???

That would make sense.

Now I hope it is 2.6" instead of 2.5". thumb

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
put a 300 grain A-Frame in the case and forget other trying and testing of loads.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would load mine with a 250gr Sierra GK and shoot deer with it.

Thats awesome shooting a deer with a bullet that weighs more in grains than it does on pounds. clap

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I don't think the world needs another overbore 30 cal. The Ruger case would make sense from 338 up to 416 and maybe 458 cal.

Forrest,
it would top out at 416, perhaps 404, assuming no belt on a .532case. Should be SOMETHING like 4% less, or right at the improved HH capacity, assuming simular tapers, and just 4% smaller base..

it COULD be done to .458, but it would probably have less shoulder than my 470, but more than the 411 hawk.

nice case!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

Forrest,
it would top out at 416, perhaps 404, assuming no belt on a .532case. Should be SOMETHING like 4% less, or right at the improved HH capacity, assuming simular tapers, and just 4% smaller base..

it COULD be done to .458, but it would probably have less shoulder than my 470, but more than the 411 hawk.

nice case!
jeffe

I think any higher than a 416 is a waste. The AR rounds will easily take over from 416 size on up.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my mind, it all comes down to case capacity. If the new Ruger case has more capacity than the H&H then I want it. If the capacity is less, then I don't want it.

Basically, I'm just looking for a cheap, widely available Dakota-clone that will fit in a standard action with little work. Is that too much to ask for? How about a 416 that will spit a 400 grain bullet at 2400 fps w/ 40K PSI and fit in a standard action? I guess I need to lobby for rewriting the laws of physics.

I dont get it really. Man, I have plenty of rifles and have made some odd caliber choices based on intrest and not necessarily practicality. If many of the folks that post regularly like another cartridge that makes little improvement over an existing design that is fine. Plenty are argueing over the RUM and WSM designs. getting another option to fit in a standard action is interestingbut a case in an 06 action that duplicates something we already have is not there for me. I have a wonderful 416 Taylor that I have used for close to 20 years and taken over 30 head of big game. A 416 on the shorter Dakota case was an option but feeding was problematic. I think that will be the case with this round. What will this do that a 350 Rem. Mag or one of the 9.3's won't do. I have walked the wildcat and esoteric dog and I prefer to use that which is established and proven. At this level it isn't about NEEDS anymore, just WANTS?!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I get it. Ruger can offer a big bore in a standard sized action. This saves them money in manufacturing and lets them offer the product at a lower price point which means that they will get a big portion of the market.

For lefties the new cartridges are great as we can take all those 7 Mags and 300 Wins and convert them over to a big bore relatively cheaply.

Who'd have thought that a short action cartridge that doesn't equal the 300 Win would outsell the 300 Win so badly in the last 5 years?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it really cost them anything more to make a long action? I don't see how it could be more than $5 per action, unless it's just the economy-of-scale thing and they sell 20 times more the standard-actions as long actions. Still hardly seems to warrant developing a new round over.
The fact that it will be just a hair less than the Dakota round makes it all the more perplexing that people would think this is anything worth salivating over. All this about rechambering a 7mm, you could always do that with a Dakota round; can't see the .010" base difference making or breaking the feeding. Seems obvious that they wanted to make the Dakota but Dakota beat them to it. Yes, Hornady will make great cases to go with this, but couldn't they just have made Jeffery cases (and basic?) to go with a Ruger 404 Jeffery perhaps, then let everyone do as they will?
I won't fault anyone that buys one; it's a great thing to move a .375" bullet weighing 300g out close to 2700 fps. But excited? I'm missing something I'm sure.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
well for joe american to walk into a joe schmo gun shop and walk out with a "big bore" that does not cost too much and have ammo from a major manufacturer that does not cost him big bucks...well that is a good combination.

the lighter std action and no belt is just gravy Big Grin