Find
Notify
Tools

Slug rounds for water buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
In a few months I plan on being in Central America (Belize) for a water buffalo and white-lipped peccary hunt. That country does not allow rifles, and I will use a rifled shotgun belonging to the outfitters.
They plan on having several different slugs available:
The Dixie Slug"The Dixie IXL-DGS is .730" and weighs 870 grs. It is designed for rifled barrels and .729"/.730" bore smoothbore with cylinder chokes. The velocity in the loaded rounds is 1200'/" from 20" 12 gauge 3" Hastings rifled barrels. Dixie designed his slug as requested by experienced shooters in Alaska. It is a true Dangerous Game slug/bullet that will stand up against the most severe tests! It is cast from our standard bullet alloy and heat-treated.There are other offerings that call themselves DGS (Dangerous Game Slugs) that are nothing more than swaged lead. They will never stand up to the severe situations that the Dixie IXL-DGS is designed for."

Brenneke Black MagicThe Black Magic Magnum Ammunition features the CleanSpeed Coating that reduces lead fouling inside the barrel and muzzle. One of the heaviest slugs on the market, it offers excellent accuracy and flatter trajectory with moderate recoil. Ideal for large and dangerous game. Can be used in all barrel types. In testing, it achieved 2" groups at 50 yards and 3" groups at 100 yards in smoothbore barrels.

Ballistics Information:

•Muzzle Velocity: 1502 fps

•Muzzle Energy: 3014 ft. lbs.

In order to have a safe shoot, Brenneke recommends the following Safety Tips:
•Only use Brenneke slugs in modern shotguns known to be in good condition.
•Make sure you use the proper length cartridge (2 3/4 inch or 3 inch) your gun is designed for.
•Make certain you know if you are shooting a rifled or smoothbore barrel, and using the proper slug. Check with the gun's manufacturer if necessary.
•When using a screw-in choke, make sure it is tightened securely. Brenneke recommends chokes no tighter than cylinder bore or improved cylinder when shooting their slugs

The Lightfield IDS:
"Lightfield Commander 12 Ga. 3 1/2" 1 1/16 oz, Slug

The Lighfield Commander design incorporates an impact discarding sabot which unlike the traditional two piece discarding style, has no effect on the slugs stability. This new found high degree of stability will be evident to the marksman the first time he uses the Commander impact discarding sabot at the range. The new impact discarding sabot also produces a controlled expansion slug for deeper penetration.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: LF12312
Category: AMMO SHOTSHELLS
Gauge :12 GA
Type :Slug
Length :3 1/2"
Ounces :1 1/16 oz
Shot Size :Slug
Muzzle Velocity :1900 fpsRounds/box :5 Rounds Per Box, 20 Boxes Per Case
Drams :N/A"

the Ddupleks Monolit32:
http://www.ddupleks.lv/EN/ddup...ducts/show/Monolit32

I will also be getting some of these AP ParakleseTechnologies 12 ga rounds:
http://www.paraklesetechnologi...p?prod=12ga234APDS10

___

The Lightfield has the most energy by far, but is a soft lead that is designed to expand. The others are much harder lead or steel, and will surely outpenetrate the Lightfield. The Dixie is the heaviest at 870gr, the Brenneke is 570gr., and the others are all 500 grains.

Another, and perhaps better, option would be Winchester Partion Gold 385 grain .45 cal Partition bullet in a sabot at 2000fps
http://www.natchezss.com/produ...prodTitle=Winchester 12 ga 3
Any opinions or experience with these slugs for Large Game?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven i hunted many water buffalos with shotgun ,use any solid like the brennekes ,i even stopped a charge of a harafballi with Afoerster and Steven Seibert.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The french blle de fleche sauvestre are very good too.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
harafballi

Juan, isn't that a native Chilean who came across your border.....I remember him.....Jose Harafballi, he is the cousin to Chapo Halfnoballis. animal

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12gaFH is not a rifle. You can load and shoot standard 3.5" shells in it!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
This hunt is only 3 months away. Primary game animals will be feral water buffalo, white-lipped peccary(warrie), and paca. May have a chance at curassow, will have to wait and see. As mentioned, there are no rifles allowed in Belize, so will use a shotgun with a rifled barrel. The above Winchester 385gr Partition 45cal 12ga saboted slug seems what I will likely use. 2000fps. For birds or paca, will likely use #6 or larger shot, but know that the rifled barrel will throw them in a "donut" pattern. Of course, if I get a buffalo and warrie early, will switch to whatever smooth bore they have. Wink

paca. supposedly delicious rodent. I plan to try.

Feral river water buffalo

White-lipped peccary--25% bigger than collared

Greater curassow

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
This too me sounds like an interesting hunt. Apporox how much is the cost of a hunt like this in Belize?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
part of the allure of this trip is it is only 2 hr flight from Dallas.
This is rather a bit of an "exploratory" hunt, and I figure the prices might go up if successful, might not if unsuccessful. Including several days of fishing and exploring some Mayan ruins, the travel, and 6-7 days hunting, it's gonna be in the vicinity of $7500-8000, including trophy fees.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy on mine went there for water buffalo a couple years ago and saw NONE, he said the closest they came was hearing one run off a water hole as they approached and finding the remains of a poached one.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
loboga,
There are some where I am headed. These are some pix from the booking agent's recent scouting trip:

Brocket deer

Paca

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I will just comment that I and several of my hunting buddies use the Partition Gold slugs almost exclusively for all of our homegrown whitetail hunting (shotgun area). They have proven to be extremely accurate, and kill well, with fantastic penetration. A couple of us have used them on moose and bear, with equally good results. It is interesting that in virtually every rifled-barrel gun in which we try them, the 2 3/4-inch version is noticeably more accurate than the 3-inch. Since the shorter load is only 100fps slower, at 1900fps muzzle velocity, it is our load of choice.

Good luck on what sounds like a very interesting hunt.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Steve, I will just comment that I and several of my hunting buddies use the Partition Gold slugs almost exclusively for all of our homegrown whitetail hunting (shotgun area). They have proven to be extremely accurate, and kill well, with fantastic penetration. A couple of us have used them on moose and bear, with equally good results. It is interesting that in virtually every rifled-barrel gun in which we try them, the 2 3/4-inch version is noticeably more accurate than the 3-inch. Since the shorter load is only 100fps slower, at 1900fps muzzle velocity, it is our load of choice.

Good luck on what sounds like a very interesting hunt.

John

Thanks, John
That is what I was wanting to hear. tu2

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steve the huge harfballi head in Steven Seiberts ranch was stopped with my browning silver camo auto shotgun ,after 5 shots of 375hyh i handed Steven my MARLIN GUIDE GUN but in the dangerous situation and not habituated to a lever gun he couldnt take of the safety ,the old buffalo was at about 15 mts and stopped rigth at my feet ,i put 6 shots of brennekes on it in rapid fire .....Steven said ....A LITTLE EXCESIVE ....was an intersting hunt.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Juan, there must be something in your aura that entices pissed-off buffalo to head in your direction! Big Grin

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
In this case the buffalo tried to escape first but after so many shots ,he was a bit upset ,i tried to run but was stucked in the mud ....Steven Seibert was not very happy with the hide ..... Frowner

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an ex wife that is originally from Belize, and as a consequence I spent a bit of time there in the southern region around Big Creek.

You will get a lot more out of your hunting dollar if you take the eight grand and go to RSA or Namibia for plains game, believe me. Just sayin'--

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
strars and stripes ammo loads a round with a carbide ball bearing with a flu flu on it that flies great and makes holes

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
I have an ex wife that is originally from Belize, and as a consequence I spent a bit of time there in the southern region around Big Creek.

You will get a lot more out of your hunting dollar if you take the eight grand and go to RSA or Namibia for plains game, believe me. Just sayin'--

Already done Namibia a couple of times. Ready for a real rain-forest hunt, chance of seeing jaguar and tapir in the wild. Have hunted northern Argentina in the near tropics and loved it--but it's quite a bit of travelling time compared to Belize. From Dallas to hunting zone will be only about four hours, if everything works smoothly!! Will also be taking a hunting buddy as a back-up on this new adventure and as a fishing companion.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote