Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Hippos in Columbia!
 Login/Join

posted
Apparently, Pablo Escobar's private Hippos have gone feral and multiplied from 4 to 16, occupying nearby waters and foraging for food-

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-hip...0,4603981,full.story

The government wants to get rid of them, but I would be curious to see wild Hippos proliferate in the South American ecosystem Wink Of course, the lack of genetic diversity would prevent this from occurring, but it's still an fun idea...

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I think it would take a few generations before any sign of genetic problems would show up in a situation like that.

Unless something has changed over the past few years, researchers are fairly certain that all cheetahs can be traced back to one single female.

Due to differences in environment and food stuffs there should be changes in their physiology and possibly behavior, in fact a whole new sub-species could evolve.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was an interesting article. It would be bizarre to come across zebras, giraffe, etc. wandering in the jungle.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
You can hunt eland and waterbucks in some places of the brazilian Matto Grosso (matto means bush or forest and grosso thick)..

Some wealthy farmers released them MANY years ago. I have talked to a chap who has hunted waterbucks there and told me about the increadible trophy quality of them. Not much info after that.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo you are rigth ,i known people who hunted many african antilopes in the AMAZON idont know the population but they are totally wild .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Bushbuck in the Amazon would be a hoot.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd vote for filling the canyons around here and stocking with Hippo!! Big Grin

Crocs Too!!!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Maybe in 20 years, we'll find there is a good tiger population there! Big Grin
We're scheduled to leave in 6 weeks for the Gran Chaco (south of the Amazon), where a totally new large species of Peccary was discovered in the 1970's.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they are hippos and not women from Bolivia?? There are similarities!

Posts: 25 | Location: Santiago, Chile | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
large species of Peccary was discovered

6000 lb hairless red Peccary........

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

Big Grin
Might wish for a bigger gun!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I think it would take a few generations before any sign of genetic problems would show up in a situation like that.

Unless something has changed over the past few years, researchers are fairly certain that all cheetahs can be traced back to one single female.

I guess it would depend on how many recessive genes are in the Columbian Hippo population that would determine inbreeding problems. But scientists say that all humans have a common ancestor, no?
I still think it would be interesting from a scientific standpoint to see how well a large, aquatic African animal can fare on a different continent.
If the European boar can be introduced to the South American ecosystem and thrive there, why can't the Hippo? Why not let more biodiversity come naturally to South America? They're already there, why not leave them alone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:

Big Grin
Might wish for a bigger gun!