Find
Notify
Tools

For Icky
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Icky is Juan Pozzi's son. He is already a hunter with many trophies to his credit.
He was a bit of a varmint, having nearly poisoned me with something called Fernet, which looks like wine, but is much stronger, but for that he is forgiven. Juan said that he would like to see a picture of a mamba, so I show here a mamba from Caprivi area. also, a type of fer-de-lance called a Yararaca that Juan very nearly stepped upon, and a nonpoisonous snake (hog-nosed snake) from my home that likes to imitate a cobra.
John Wamback, a well known PH in Africa, shot the mamba with one shot thru the head in a very tall tree in a good wind with a .22. It hung up by the tip of it's tail on a branch. John shot the branch in two with one shot! The snake fell to the ground, and the African boys were quite afraid of it, but it was obvious that it was done for.
Juan shot the Yararaca because his dogs were running around and were in danger of being bitten.
mamba

mamba

Yararaca

Hog-nose snake

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Steve. Good photos. In all my trips to Africa I never saw but two snakes - both pythons. I do not fear snakes, in fact I have enjoyed owning a good many in the past. But I do not like what I cannot see. And what I fear is stumbling on to an adder, or disturbing a mamba while it is trying to move near me. The one nice thing about rattlesnakes where I hunt in the southwest, is that for the most part anyway, they kind of let you know you're treading in their area. thumb

I am not sure if it was Fernet, but I do remember going out with Juan to a taverna where the big thing was ???(maybe Fernet) in Coke. Roll Eyes

And Iki is a marvel. Praise well deserved and earned. This acorn did not fall far from the tree. I don't think I have ever been around, man or boy, who could shoot as well, be it rifle, shotgun, handgun. And responsible and safe beyond his years. salute

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Icky shot my .375 double as well as a man last year. He wants to be an accountant or a CFO when he is grown. I hope to hire hime when he is ready!!

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please don´t let Icky be an accountant!l. He´ll end posting things in a firearms forum like a guy known as Nainital Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven ,thank you very much ,we have had great time together ,stalking,and listening ,your great AFRICAN safaris.As some of the clients you became a great friend now.
IKI loves the snakes as you love them ,he will like this photos and we will reply this nigth.We have an arrenge with him ,he loves mathematics but he said he will sutdy at the military university here or in USA and then became an accountant after the military service ,i cannot say anything because all of my family did the miltary service from all the family history .Steven i have the two bulls and the cow -WILLY GAVE IT TO ME-at home ,ill put them in my new gun room ,in a special place with your photos under them .I hope someday you visit me and see all my guns and your trophys.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Nice pics !!!

Indeed the Yararas (bothrops alternatus is the most common one) are quite dangerous thou they have a beautiful skin (once I found myself sharing my blind with an unvited one... after the initial shock - mine of course Big Grin - I managed to put it inside a bag ... nowadays its skin is proudly shown in one of my hunting hats Wink

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ssteven gracias por las fotos ,buenisimas,cuando contaste esto mi padre me lo tradujo y me gusto mucho .Megustan mucho las viboras ,pero no agarraria una mamba con la mano ,espero cuando vaya con mi papa a AFRICA pueda matar una.El cazador profesional habia servido en las fuerzas especiales .Esto en que pais fue ?.que mama es negra o verde ?

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Please don´t let Icky be an accountant!l. He´ll end posting things in a firearms forum like a guy known as Nainital Big Grin

Well, being an accountant myself, the only thing I can say is that there are only two things for sure: death and taxes !!!

And because of no one likes any of them Big Grin , if he chooses dealing with the latter, he will surely have many jobs offered... just don't allow him to ever forget what outdoor living is like !!!

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin ,you dont imagine my shock and the ballet dancing i made ,after Steven said you have a snake behind you and i amlost step on it Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Icky is Juan Pozzi's son. He is already a hunter with many trophies to his credit.
He was a bit of a varmint, having nearly poisoned me with something called Fernet, which looks like wine, but is much stronger, but for that he is forgiven.
(...)

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Fernet is the third alcoholic drink of the country.... 13 million bottles per year are sold in Argentina. One of each three, in Córdoba ... or to say it in another way, Cordoba province is the biggest world consumer of this drink (thou originally it is a drink created in Milan, Italy, by a doctor named Bernardino Branca)

Hmmmm Roll Eyes I think you should give it another try !! Big Grin Big Grin

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Martin ,you dont imagine my shock and the ballet dancing i made ,after Steven said you have a snake behind you and i amlost step on it Juan

I understand you prefectly well, my friend ... Eeker in fact that was I did myself once not so long ago, when trying to handle my binos inside my blind I almost bumped with a yarara, less than a yard away from me shocker

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill you drunk some fernet at that bar ,a lot of hunters ,go there each nigth but most prefer beer ,i prefer a good dark cold beer .AFRIKAANDER HERE IS A PHOTO OF YOU IKIY LANHUEL AND MYSELF.I believe the PH of Steven served in one of your admired units the SELOUS SCOUTS,OR BATTALION 32 IM NOT SURE,but did you read his shooting skills...

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Do you remember when we were chasing that puma?

Since in La Pampa, no more cougar hunts are allowed, it appears to me that that makes another good reason to go to Cordoba !!

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
IKY TRAINING WITH A SNIPER RIFLE ,TIKKA TACTICAL,BURRIS SNIPER SCOPE,308,TARGET 400MTS HUMAN STEEL SILHOUETE.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Well done, Iki !!!

This is the snake who shared the blind with me shocker , just after I skinned it ...

Nowadays it is in one of my hats Wink

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
la pampa opened the puma hunt again ,here there are many pumas but is very difficult to hunt because they live in bush like this,in the same area we saw a giant puma with Bill,and a friend of mine killed one.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Cougar hunts are perhaps those ones where luck is really needed !!

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Icky,
Esto es una Mamba negra, porque tiene una boca de color negra. Fue en el pais de Namibia (en la Caprivi Strip). Si, El cazador professionale se llama John Wamback, y habia servido in fuerzas especiales.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven ,gracias ,vi an national geographic un documental,sobre la mamba negra y la verde ,la negra es mas grande mas agresiva puede atacar a 20kms por hora ,pero la verde es mas peligrosa porque no se la ve en las ramas ,me parecia que era una mamba negra pero no sabia que subian a los arboles .
Martin mira en el foro de alaska un cazador usa el fal ,que mi papa no compro porque decia que era pesado .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Last photo of IKY going to a blind for hog hunting.A week ago.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Una vez en el Namibia, nosotros vimos un Negro African que estaba batiendo, con un palo o vara, un serpiente. Fue un "boomslange" , un serpiente de los arboles, con veneno mas fuerte, pero tiene dientes piqueños y detras de boca, y no es agresivo. El nativo African mato' el boomslange.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Steven. Yo le llamaré el hombre de serpiente de ahora en adelante. .....and el hombre con las la mayoría de las buena suerte. ....para continuar en español....
Another snake photo....when we were scouting for pronghorn in New Mexico a few years ago, I stepped out of the truck and near stepped on one of these, Mojave rattlesnakes, and the other one was on the other side......bird shot load in my Cimarron 45 Colt did the job.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Bill, those Mojave rattlers have a very interesting venom--a delayed neurotoxin.
Before the year 2000, the common antivenoms did not neutralize Mojave bites, but the newer antivenom (Crofab)does work.

Afrikaander, that is a beautiful snake skin. I am sure it made a wonderful hatband. Do you have a picture?

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Steve, I heard the same thing about the anti venoms. In fact I believe they now have a vaccine for dogs effective against all rattlers but the mojave.

The best anti venom remains a load of shot.

I have never made a hat band, but after seeing Martin's it is a fine idea.....

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven ,BILL ,aca estoy hace unos dias mi papa me dejo ir al frente buscando un puma herido encontramos en ganso que habia robado pero no el puma

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Icki, me gusta la fotografia. Gracias ¿ El puma habia matado eso ganso? ¿Como habia puesto herido esto puma?
La escopeta de su papa es especial.¿ A donde hecho?

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
EL PUMA ,FUE HERIDO POR UN GRANJERO CON UN ESCOPETA DEL 16 VIEJISIMA ,NO SE SI EN REALIDAD LE PEGO ES UN VIEJO QUE ENTRAMPA PUMAS ,DEPUES POSTEO UNA FOTO MIA EN EL ULTIMO TORNEO DE PISTOLA SALI 4TO ENTRE 58 TIRADORES .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
el puma robo el ganso el viejo le tiro ,con una 16 a las 4 de la tarde ,nosotros a las 5 seguimos el rastro y lo perdimos en el monte .
Aca estoy en el torneo de tiro o practico

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Bueno, congratulations.

Como el papa es, el hijo sera.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Mi español se mejora, pero no muy rápidamente.
How about Russian? мы будем пробовать Ñто на китайÑком Ñзыке. Wink

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Steve, I heard the same thing about the anti venoms. In fact I believe they now have a vaccine for dogs effective against all rattlers but the mojave.

The best anti venom remains a load of shot.

I have never made a hat band, but after seeing Martin's it is a fine idea.....

Hat band and some bracelets Cool (these latters used only as part of my hunting garments Big Grin, along with the one made of elephant tail hair I ve got)
I promise a couple of pics, just let me have some time to look for some & or take new ones ....

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Steven ,BILL ,aca estoy hace unos dias mi papa me dejo ir al frente buscando un puma herido (....)

Esa !!!
Vamos todavia !! Big Grin

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
bracelet

and hat band (sadly, much of the skin beauty - specially where colours were concerned Frowner - was lost in the taning process ... and the passing of time, would have more care next time !)

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven ,Bill ,hog taken yesterday at 10 mts running shot by IKY and his BEAR bow.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Iky last week end with a hog that weigthed over 300 kilos ,killed by him with 6 shots of a 44 magnum

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan and Iki ..... salute

I am anxious to see you in a few weeks......
but Ikli will shame me with his good shooting with bow, handgun and rifle. Carajo! Better for me to just go to asados....I know I can at least eat more costillas than he. diggin

Theodore Roosevelt