Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina trip, a bit more
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
San Francisco and then I will go on to Patagonia, later this week.

A few items of interest in Juan Pablo's town. He arranged an interview for me with the local newspaper, La Voz, at the hospital. It went well, even with my very limited Spanish. Once Juan arrived it went a litle better. Two main items of discussion: gun control and hunting.
I tried to explain my thoughts on the gun issue by stating that it was my belief that every person has a God given right to protect himself, his family and his property. Gun control is a myth. I quoted, and explained, the phrase from JPFO - "dial 911 and die" - and they did print it.

I spoke briefly about the fact that hunters are the true conservationists, pointing to the economic factors that make hunting an important activity in any community or area. Hunting saves animals from extinction and hunters dollars and concerns greatly increase what were once dwindling animal populations. Used Teddy Roosevelt of an example of a famous hunter conservationist. The interview was printed in the Sunday paper, photo and all, even including my diplomatic concerns with the present regime, and my siding with the farmers who have been on strike to protest an arbitrary increase in export excise taxes - an Obama style "re distribute the wealth" ploy. Make a buck and the government has its hand out - same in our country, though not quite as drastic, and not a theft by Presidential decree. Oh well....

More comments with the photos that follow.

The boar hunt was great fun. Juan already described it in his post but I will give it my take. We got to the farm not expecting the critter to be there. It was, or at least we thought it was as we could not see it. It, and many other hogs, were in a smalll brushy arroyo. Juan released the dogs and followed. It could not have been a minute when I heard the now familiar, "Bill, rapido, hurry, hurry, bring your cuchillo, quickly, rapido!!!!" Bad knee and all I left the truck and hit the fence, only to find it electrified. I think the shock gave my adrenaline a good boost and soon I was in the arroyo, heading down the small dip, and dashing across to the jabili, cuchillo in hand. The dogs had him, and Juan had tried a jab with his kinife but hit bone. Seems to me that I fell on the boar, cuchillo extended, and directly into his chest, plunging my bowie up to its hilt. Dead hog, and right now.
We started out as an army would to go to war....and after the "terrorist" was killed, all joined in for the photo session for NBC news.

After the kill, Juan decided to have an asado right there for this nights dinner. Iki killed a goat the gauchos had pointed out, and while we drove to twon to buy bread, wine and beer, the gauchos dressed it and started the fire. It was a bit stringy, being cooked that soon after the kill, but very tasty. Good red wine helps. What a great way to end an exciting day.

The San Francisco Gun Club, building over 100 years old.

The members of the gun club made an asado for me at the club. What a wonderful group of guys.
About 22 came, bringing their own asado "kits," wood plates, knives and forks, and glasses. The meat was great, the wine as well, and the conversation, limited for me, showed what wonderful comrades these men are.

The "fierce" dogo...with Andres and son Santiago

Sodiro museum in Raphaela....

One wall....

Well stated...

And, of course, a great ending....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Bill, that is a truly wonderful jabali. Congratulations on getting him with a knife. He is big enough to throw off two dogos and get the hunter!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Yes !!! a Big Wildboard, I cant believed that Bill dont carry his Bowen .45 this time as a Back-up gun with this size boar, after all this hunts, our Dear Bill is ready to fight with lions or Bears, only with a spear !!! Some more pictures from my camera, just to share, after Bill full report I will post some more beautifull pictures about his visit.
The knifehunter

The monster

The big Lanhuel taking a rest

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Great hunt story Bill knife(and Juan)! clap Congrats!

Nice architectural design housing the San Francisco Club. Great looking old building.

Good looking mounts in the museum. Is the museum just a collection of one man's trophies?Let's see the other walls.

And yet more asado!!

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Mary

I will ask Guille to post more photos of Sodiro's museo....and, yes, they are all his!!!
The day before i left for home last week, he was off once again to Africa, Cameroon this time I believe.

And I will post more asados in the next few days. I am addicted to them....

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good pictures and good times.
I will have to visit Sodiro Museum.
Sodiro and his son took sme Italian hunters to my farm many years ago. Good guys.
Thanks for the pictures and story.
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Great story, Bill !!!

What a wonderful time you had... just the mere fact of reading made my blood to start boiling Cool and, as always, Juan is top notch on these matters !

Now, is that electric shock the newest improvement in extreme hunts ? I have heard theses kind of "stimulus" make one feel sharpener Big Grin Big Grin

Jokes aside, I send you my respects and congratulations... believe me not many would even dare to hunt the way you do ! salute

Perhaps, for your next trip we might have ready a new variation: with spears and horses thumb

Martin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill; Your wishes are orders thumb !!!, here some more pictures from Mr. Pepe Sodiro (Weatherby Award Nominee) The Hunt Museum or "Museo de la Caza", there are 280 trophys, and 30 waiting in the taxidermist shocker, now, may be He is now in Cameroon clap, is more easy ask him; Which one you still didint hunt? than the oposite. You can see from Bengal tigers to Panteras, Pudu deers to Jaguars, B&W Rhino to Civeta, Taruca, snowleopards exc. x exc clap clap clap, a litle Disneyworld for Argentinian Hunters dancing, I know that is the wrong topic/place, but is a friend ask, I hope all you like it. My only complains is why Mr. Sodiro dont contract me as his own Driver & Personal secretary, just to live with him all those wonderfull trips!!! Smiler
Moose walls

Roan & Sable

Elands

Leo

Polar

Elephant

Tiger

???

Pantera

Jaguar and others

Aguara Guazu

Taruca

Pudu

Sorry Im a litle tired to download pictures (I have 100 ) want more come here to see the museum and eat a BBQ with all us or send a pack of beer (From Holand). Saed, Walther and Mr GeorgeS are welcome: Regards Guille

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo.

Thank you so much! Wonderful pictures of an incredible trophy collection!

This is a Chinese Water Deer

And this is why Mr.Sodiro hasn't contacted you to be his driver... jumping "our driver was not very entertaining, and always driving, driving, driving, singing songs in Spanish, mumbling stories about the ghosts of the lakes, and eating apples" lol

Where should I send the pack of beer from Holland so you will post more pictures? Wink

Thank you again, Guillermo.
Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miss Mary:
Forget the beers, maybe one of this days I will visit Bill in AZ so You, Bill & Me will share a good lunch together, The problem with this guys is that are out of training to follow this young gaucho & they eat to much BBQ.Rgrs.Guille
PS.Take a look Bill & Willy Hunting some chorizos (sausage)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,

When you come to Arizona I will make a feast for you and Bill. Our freezer is always full of game meat. Buffalo, bear, elk, deer, javelina...you choose! Bill will need to bring the wine as I am not as knowledgable as him on South American Wine.

We can even take you to Tucson to the Safari Club Museum to see CJ McElroy's trophy collection room(the founder of Safari Club International).

Now get busy and post some more pictures... Big Grin!

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Guille

You forget to mention the shrunken head he also had on his wall. He told me he was regretting it was not Obama. animal

Oh my God! Willy and I both look a bit stuffed. Roll Eyes Ready for the Sodiro wall or a cannibal asado. Eeker But what about the picture with you stuffing down the 2 pound bife chorizo (NY steak)? holycow

I am in Tucson now, but once back up to Pinetop, I will post the pictures from Patagonia. I remain in your debt, amigazo, and remember, when you come to see me....I want you to bring Marta and the boys.

Mary. Some day you may meet his beautiful wife and wonderful sons; this Guillermo is truly a very lucky man. thumb Next time I am in Phoenix I will be sure to call. I am tempted to ride my moto down, but fear my tires would melt.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report and pics Bill. Congrats on taking a great Boar with the knife!
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

My husband, Chris and I hope to make a trip to Argentina in the future to hunt and meet all your fine friends and their families. When Guillermo comes to Arizona, my table is big enough for all of our families!

Looking forward to our meeting, Bill.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: congrats again, now that I know more about your boar. I can understand that for a man with an African lion in his bag, that was not a great feat, but for us mere mortals, killing a hog this size with only a knife and after being touched by an electric wire, at just only 70 young years.. Eeker¡You are my hero from now on! clap clap

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Guille,
What is that weapon you are holding in the photo with the Boar? Looks Impressive!!

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gun is maybe the result of Juanito´s influence & My hunting experience, a Rem 870, 12 G. Magnum, short (40 cms) ported barrel, aimpoint sight, shells holder, head shield, iron sight, rubber stock, magazine tube extension, surefire flashlight, I used to looking for wounded boards during the night only with slugs !!! That day IKI killed everthing (doves, parrots, rabitts) with this gun include a goat for the BBQ.Regards.Guille

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Wow! Looks like something out of "Terminator" Cool

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Great post!

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An outstanding experience!

Congratulations, Bill.

I would like to post a word of warning to out South American friends: Having followed Bill's exploits for some time now, I have reached the conclusion that he is reverting to a feral state. He has gone from placing carefully aimed shots to dispatch his prey, to jumping on them (probably out of a tree) to deliver a coup de gras with a sharp blade.

I would fully expect by this time next year he will be haunting Patagonia clad only in a loincloth, using nothing but his bare hands to subdue his prey. Perhaps we are seeing the birth of "The Wild Man of Patagonia"...

Bill, you are having WAY too much fun!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Wow! Looks like something out of "Terminator" Cool

Guille is the terminator.. BOOM..and he is an excellent gunsmith. He put that gun together himself, including making most of the add on parts..... Eeker

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
An outstanding experience!

Congratulations, Bill.

I would like to post a word of warning to out South American friends: Having followed Bill's exploits for some time now, I have reached the conclusion that he is reverting to a feral state. He has gone from placing carefully aimed shots to dispatch his prey, to jumping on them (probably out of a tree) to deliver a coup de gras with a sharp blade.

I would fully expect by this time next year he will be haunting Patagonia cl beerad only in a loincloth, using nothing but his bare hands to subdue his prey. Perhaps we are seeing the birth of "The Wild Man of Patagonia"...

Bill, you are having WAY too much fun!

Thanks to all for the kind words. If any of you can ever get to Argentina I can guarantee you will be treated well....I even left a little beef for you. Wink
Jim. When I get my new knees I will be requesting springs in them..... clap
Loin cloth, no dice...too many thorns. Roll Eyes

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Loved it BITW - Thanks for sharing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Friends, is not fear, Bill only shared his Hunting Adventures, but what about all the broken hearts that leaved crying here at my coutry.....
When Bill enter, She look him and She become like a zombie girl, fully enloved, you can see the love on their eyes and SMILE, but Bill stay quiet.

I cant still understand how Bill can atract some many beauytifull ladies in just one week, maybe he brings his own Cupid Angel armed with a bigggg knive of love.
Bill: the Argentinian girls are asking for You, Come Back!!! More of this Furtive Lover Hunter; with love; "The bald Assassin"

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
jumping

We have not yet recovered from Bill & the nurses's experience from last year and now we have some more "love stories" and broken hearts ladies Bill left behind to worry about ???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow, what a great trip! I would send all the beer I could afford to go on a great trip like that to Argentina!

Great pictures of a wonderful country!

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
jumping

We have not yet recovered from Bill & the nurses's experience from last year and now we have some more "love stories" and broken hearts ladies Bill left behind to worry about ???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Martin. Ask Juan about my stay in the VIP section of the hospital. Nurses are God's gift to the medical profession. Wink

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cant still understand how Bill can atract some many beauytifull ladies in just one week, maybe he brings his own Cupid Angel armed with a bigggg knive of love.

I hope he kept his knife of love in its sheath!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yes
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill
It seems you had a very great time Big Grin
thanks for sharing with us.
yes

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Posts: 1807 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 23 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yes:
Hi Bill
It seems you had a very great time Big Grin
thanks for sharing with us.
yes

There are few trips and destinations I have enjoyed more. And it is more than just the hunting. It is the people, the beautiful and varied geography and country side, the hospitality, the food, the wine, and Quilmes stout. You will have no regrets if you go. knife

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful trip with us. I've always wanted to hunt Argentina, and seeing your photos certainly increases that desire. You are also inspiring me, because you and I appear to be fairly close in age, many former hunters that I know haven given up because the aches and pains associated with hunting are too much. If you can still chase dogs then I can too.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote