THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Scruffy, your "brother" The Poacher.. NEW PICS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scruffy, your "brother" The Poacher.. NEW PICS
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
As you can see he is doing fine, his wife beats him now and then but he manages to wack some varmints from time to time Big Grin

Richard, do you remember ??? clap

Merry Christmas !!

Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

What a beautifull axis deer !!!!!!

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
All three are great animals! That axis has awesome mass!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
excellent thumb animals, all of them !!!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo. You have to be one of the best. Beautiful animals. I guess that the stag was from Argentina, but was the boar and the axis from Uruguay? A stag of a lifetime. clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. I remember it well. beer

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful axis, congratulations. clap

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
Indeed the axis and the boar are from our side of the river Wink

Martín or Ricardo,

Here we don't do any trophy hunting or nothing similar, we just hunt what we can. So we just maesured the axis following the argentinian way and it gave 300 plus points.

Is that considered a really good axis ? we saw that 260 points is considered gold medal Frowner (sorry but I hate to name animals using the "something" medal term).

Anyway, 300 plus points or whatever that means is considered something special ?? Are they common there ?

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: here is a ranking of axis in 2004:

RANKING DE CIERVO AXIS
FORMULA ARGENTINA – FACM –

TROFEO

PUNTAJE

FECHA

NOMBRE Y APELLIDO

LUGAR

31/01/99

CARLOS TERRAGNO

BUENOS AIRES

20/05/85

F. TOMASSIAN

BUENOS AIRES

05/07/08

HECTOR M. DI DOMENICO

BUENOS AIRES

05/07/08

HECTOR M. DI DOMENICO

BUENOS AIRES

0-0-99

JOSE SEIDENARI

BUENOS AIRES

0-4-99

B. FEUME DE COLOMBI

ENTRE RIOS

0-3-99

HUGO VILLANUEVA

BUENOS AIRES

0-2-99

EUGENIO NANNI

BUENOS AIRES

0-0-0

DARIO YERIEN

ENTRE RIOS

0-12-99

EDUARDO ROQUES

BUENOS AIRES

Certainly old, but anyway I think that´s useful for measuring your trophy.
Congratulations again.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
It's possible that this axis measured 300 plus ??

Maybe we do it wrong... bewildered

The number 1 in Argentina went 286,9 ??? we must have measured it wrong or do you think it's possible this deer is around the 300 ??

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: I´m sorry but I can´t help you with this. I´m not an expert in measuring. Perhaps one of the pros who post here can give a hand...Anyway the head is very, very beautiful. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
I only measure antler lenght and look for simetry and beauty.
Do you remember lenght?
Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Antler length 90 y 91 cm
Head weight 4,5 kg after boiled and dried.
8 tins, VERY thick antlers
33 and 31 cm the first "tin" and so on...

By argentinian measurments 327 points Eeker

Caliber 25-06, bullet Hornady 117 grains. The deer don't even moved when the bullet striked his shoulder, he just started running away and another shot put him down forever. None of the shot exit the deer.

My friend thought that the deer was still on velvet beacuse as he walks towards him the antlers look too thick for him, and when he got really near and saw them he couldn't believe what he was seeing !!!!

The hunt went more or less like this:

The area was big so they separate each other to cover more ground. It was still dark as the moon wasn't out yet. It was going to be a full moon night and the harvested cropfields will be shinning once the moon went up. So my friend decided to wait for the moon and he just lay on the ground under the stars in the middle of a harvested field that was sorrounded by thornbush.

One hour later the moon started to turn the light on. Before even sitting down he took off the safety and slowly sit down. After some minutes he saw three deers walking near him, one was a male and the other two just small femals.

The buck was looking back and at the shot he don't even blink, after a second he just started running with the head down till another bullet broke his spine.

The two smaller run near my friend and he noticed that they were not small at all !!

In that moment he realized that something was not right...the deer he shot was much bigger so he thought the other two were just young deers...

Once he saw the monster axis he has just shot he was so nervous that when he tried to call the other ones instead of using his cell phone he grab his cigarrete box !!!!!!!! hahaha

Well, the rest it´s history...

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: you may find useful this link:
http://www.roe.texaswildlife.net/index.htm
There is a manual for scoring barasingha and axis between other species of big game.
Good luck

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
I have killed half a dozen big axis bucks in Texas on a huge ranch, two were over 36 inches(one over 37) and I believe your friend's axis is better than any head I have ever seen, including the SCI record book. That is a tremendous buck. Congratulations to both of you.

My late friend Kenny S. and my best buck:

another good buck:

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve.
He and I have shared some good moments. As you can see from the following pic he is not only good chasing axis Wink

He and his bull

Both of us, I am the one with the light coloured hat..

He and I with my young stallion

Ol'Namibia..

Sorry about the off topic pictures, I just was remembering good memories..

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
Good memories are always welcome clap & I have some great ones with you Marrio & Dewe. May he rest in peace.I wish you & the rest of the gang a happy New Year.
Just Jim

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim !!
Nice to hear from you thumb

Indeed we also have some good memories together. Dewe was really a nice man.

I will sent your wishes to the gang. Mario is now fishing at Palmar, the same place where you and Dewe spent several days fishing !!

Happy New Year

L

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo. Thanks for the African pictures. He has indeed taken some wonderful anmimals.

As others have said I have taken Axis in Texas but have not seen anything close to this one. I do not know how to measure for Argentina.

The top Axis in SCI is 181.3/8 from Texas
The minimum for entry is 120.

For the measurement method go to this site:

http://www.scirecordbook.org/d...hods/Method_21-T.pdf

This will give you an idea we can all relate to. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
SCI maintains separate records for "introduced" big game in South America, so "Scruffy's" deer and one from Texas would not compete against the other. Also, SCI's records are recorded in inches (not centimeters) to 1/8th of an inch. I don't have a recent SCI book, but I suspect that the stag would rank No. 1 in SCI's South America records. It's a fine trophy.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Bill ! Just to set the record straight - the chap with the monster axis buck is Poncho (Mario) of Uruguay. I have hunted those varmints a few times myself in Uruguay and all I ever got was a glimpse ... they are sporting !!! Big Grin

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote