Notify
Tools

Back from Argentina
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi,
Just returned from a great hunting trip.
We have lots of laughs and hunted some special trophies.

My english is not very good so I will avoid you the stories (maybe Richard aka Scruffy write them).

We hunted three red stags and two wild boars in La Pampa and other animals like a puma further south as they aren't allowed to be hunted there due to canned hunts that were being orginazed by some people last year.

Richard and I with my stag. I don't have taken pictures of Richard stag with my camera (cell phone Big Grin)

My puma, I was sitting one night under a tree to be in the shadows as it was full moon when I saw it walking 6 meters away from me !! I told my hunting buddy Federico to turn on the light and the cougar jumped into the forest as I let a bullet go. It was like shooting with a shotgun, I don't remember aiming at it. As we loose eye contact with him I thought I have missed Roll Eyes

So we went to take a look into the bush, and while looking infront we saw "something" one meter away from our legs to our right and there it was thumb

The rifle I used was a 300 win mag with a zeiss scope, ammo was federal premium.

Following a roaring stag early in the morning and suffering while we don't have a clear shot because of the trees, and knowing that the wind can change in any moment is one of the best hunt one can have. I hunted mine the last morning of the trip.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, looks like an excellent hunt for you! Nice heavy antlers on that stag and the puma is gorgeous. Congratulations!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
¡Felicitaciones Lorenzo!. Lots of character in that head and the puma is a nice gift too.
I´m waiting for the stories (PM me if you can). clap

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Ann, thanks for your comments Wink

Ricardo,
As you must already know, the roaring is not so good this year so far. In some places a little more than others but not as other years, everyone is waiting for some cold weather to see if things change.

We drove from Montevideo to Gral Acha through Colonia by ferry. A long 12 hours night drive mostly because of the heavy rains in Bs As province on Good Friday. It was imposible to go fast.

Eugenio and family as always top notch, simply a gentleman so there is not much more to say about him. With all the wannabes roaming around when the season starts being in his hands it's a relief. You can bag or not a deer but there is no BS around.

He runs Quini Malal and Quitral-Có farms so there is lots of ground to cover as they are side by side properties. Between both farms you have aprox. 34,000 acres for hunt.

I decided to not carry my guns due all the mess these days and I just grabbed a 300wm he lend me and Richard decided for a 30-06.

I have planned the hunt with enough time so everything went ok.

Despite the roaring was not in a full mode we have more than enough for pleasure of our souls and for give them a try each morning and each evening.

Richard shot a non trophy stag and a really nice "ten", with long and simetrical antlers.

Mine was a "fourteen" and the 30 minutes before the shot were heartbreaking as we were in an open old burned bush block. There was lots of burned sticks and brush in the way so it was a looooong wait for a clear shot. The stag was roaring in a thick patch of burned brushes and he doesn't move out of there (clever guy) but another stag roared nearby and he went out to take a look to the "intruder", that was his mistake....

I was so nervous and when looking through the scope I was seeing so many brushes in the way that I aimed just to "the middle" hillbilly but maybe the bullet was deflected by a stick or something but the thing is that it was a perfect shoulder shot dancing

One more for you..

The antlers were full of mud, it seems he has been wallowing during the night in a nearby waterhole.

A beauty thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
One detail from the last picture that I have just noticed, I was posing for the picture with Richard's 30-06 and not with the 300wm I used to shot the deer. The rifle in the picture has a leupold scope on it and not a Zeiss.

Last year I was the only chap from the group who returned empty handed and I still consider it was one of the best hunts I have had so far. This atitude and never looking for a "monster" is what I think that at the end of the day pays back. Those folks only looking for the "father of all deers" never find one and it's a bad attitude towards the guides. Those people work hard to give you a decent oportunity and if you continue passing deer after deer you will have a very upset guide and you will never build up a team with him. Team work is what hangs good trophies in the walls.. Wink

L

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Magnificent animals. thumb The puma by chance is such a lucky thing to happen for you.

I am heading back to Argentina April 22. If I am able to go to BA, I would enjoy meeting you.

BB

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

Muy Bueno! That stag is REALLY nice!

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great looking trophies!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Nice stag, Lorenzo ... well done - and better still, well hunted !!! thumb

And that cougar, well that 's an unexpected bonus ! Wink

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Lorenzo !!!!

A very good 14 with very huges crown points.

Congratulations and see around by here

Raul

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Jajajajaja Grande Raúl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cómo andás???
Viste que lindo ciervo ? Ligué como loco !!!
Guille está cazando ahora en el mismo lugar que estuve yo, ojalá que tenga suerte...
Abrazo
Lorenzo

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
For those who don't know Raúl, he lives in my country and he is a reloading and gun expert. No kidding!!!!!

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo

I had the opportunity to test Impala Bullets from South Africa,
These bullets are solid brass made , and are designed to develope an innovative terminal ballistic fenomenum. They are intended to traspass the animal without produce meat destruction . The "killing way" was a cutting edge in front of te bearing surface , that is intended to produce rapid internal or organs tissue expansion , that cause the death of the animal.
I had range test them in ; 243 Winchester;25 Gibbs; 280 Remington; 308 Winchester' 308 Norma mag. ; 9,3 x 62 and 375 H&H.
The results was excelent in all calibers , in accuracy , pressure and velocity.
Before these tests I couldn't wait , and go hunting to see how they "works" on game.
Of course that on animal killed isn't sufficient to take any conclusion , but at least there is a sample.
I take an Axis Deer with my 308 Winchester . The buck was broadside and the enter hole was behind shoulder and also exit one.It was a classic lung shot . The buck walked 10 steps to fell down .
Meat damage was none , but lungs were detroyed.

really impressive work.
Now I 'm waiting to prove my 9,3 on some wild boar to confirm performance of these excelents bullets .

I'll let you know

Regars

Raul

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like agreat hunt gentlemen. Nice stag Lorenzo. Scruffy, where are your pictures?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Yes,Scruffy where are your photos???

Very nice Stag Lorenzo

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Posting these photos for Scruffy.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Nice pig!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats guys!

Lorenzo, THAT is a very, very nice stag!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Megalomaniac !!!

I was VERY lucky !!!!!

L

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Wow! Impressive photos and great report. I really have to go down there and try that hunt sometime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow . Nice stags. Thanks for sharing.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stag and hunt, Lorenzo!
PH

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Well done LORENZO and SCRUFFY ,nice stags and boar ,i only saw pumas by chance like you ,never when farmers call me after a kill and i realease my dogs ....congratulations friends.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I am crazy bewildered or under severe fever from pig influenza nilly?, this post is from 2008 Roar season?, Nothing from 2009 ???. Men We have to do something Confused, no just living in the pass.....of course nice trophy, well done, ok, ... nothing wrong , but can You catch the idea? Or I can post My 1992 first hunt??? ,if Im wrong.....Please dont get me wrong & answer Me like gentlemen, jajaja. Big Hug Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, Guillermo, I also don't understand why they skip my 2009 stag, maybe they don'y like it too much ??? rotflmo

This year stag, I wrote a complete report on this forum about my 2009 hunt.

It's 2:37 am here....the babies are steeling (sp?) my sleep Frowner

They are sleeping tonight but somehow I cannot sleep thumbdown

L