"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
Is Water Buffalo tasty or not so tasty?

The meat I had in Argentina was very good....and they sure do know how to grill it....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Un-aged steak from a bull is tough. I think it should probably best be hung in a cooler for a week. Taste is fine.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I feel I must preface this with the statement that I've killed and eaten only one Asian Water Buffalo.

But that being said, I find the meat to be very tasty. However, it does have a "different grain" than either beef, American Bison or just about any other wild game meat I've eaten.

The meat either must be served medium rare at the most (if grilled) or slow cooked all day long. Otherwise, you'll end up with a product that will do double duty as new boot soles....

But I like it!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
How much meat do you think a person would get out of a grown water buffalo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I shot wasn't all that big, and I still got well over 700 pounds of pure meat.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
The one I shot wasn't all that big, and I still got well over 700 pounds of pure meat.

Where are you in the picture?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, I'm the guy in camo on the right... That is the largest animal I've ever killed, and I took it with a bow...

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, I'm the guy in camo on the right... That is the largest animal I've ever killed, and I took it with a bow...

Lol I meant where were you hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot an older cow, taste was good, not gamey, but man was it tough, even after all day in the crock pot. the philipinos say to cook it in a pressure cooker to soften it up. there was no marbling, all the fat was under the hide for insulation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lol I meant where were you hunting

killpc Sorry! I was invited to hunt a game preserve in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. That's where I took the buffalo, a place called David's Hog Wild.

I had arranged a wild boar hunt for a friend of mine and David (the guy on the left) told me that I should bring something "Big to kill shit with." He wouldn't tell me what it was he wanted me to shoot, so I loaded up my .45/70, my .44 Ruger and my bow.

After Kevin got his boar (which took a day and a half), we went in search of Water Buffalo. After about an hour and a half of stalking, I got within twenty yards and let fly with an arrow. 137 yards later, I had a buff on the ground....

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The taste is very good ,but you must cook it very few ,i usually eat the lions ,make empanadas ,and sausages with the rest ,we cook the ribs too ,they have a lot of inersticial fat ,i love buffalo if its too hard you must cook it in a steel pot .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
The taste is very good ,but you must cook it very few ,i usually eat the lions ,make empanadas ,and sausages with the rest ,we cook the ribs too ,they have a lot of inersticial fat ,i love buffalo if its too hard you must cook it in a steel pot .

Juan....amigazo....this is how you cooked my buffalo ... muy bueno.....excelente!!!!!

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Im talking about a year and a half to 2 year old cow

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:

Juan....amigazo....this is how you cooked my buffalo ... muy bueno.....excelente!!!!!

Now im hungry. That looks mighty tasty. Juan can I come over for supper lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would have to say that you'd probably have the best tasting Asian Water Buffalo you could get. Where you going to hunt?

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
When we grilled fresh water buffalo in Esquina, Argentina, Juan was the only person there with enough jaw muscles to chew it. Big Grin

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cook it slowly over low heat on a cedar plank just like a salmon. Then eat the plank.
The meat tastes like any 10 year old, hyper lean cattle bull would taste like. Tougher than hell.Same with Cape buffalo, as far as that goes. Oxtail is very good.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cooked a brisket for my in-laws and wife + self. ....could not dent the "cooked" meat with any of our collective teeth. Our dogs loved it.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogleg, conifer & SCGraves;

I dunno what you guys were eating, but grilled medium rare, the meat was tasty and reasonably tender.

I've made a bunch of stroganoff from the cubed stew meat and as long as it was slowly cooked for at least four hours, it was as tender as any meat I've ever eaten.

Personally, I think you guys overcooked it, and then compounded the error by not cooking it enough...

Rare to medium rare is how Asian Water Buffalo needs to be cooked, no more, no less...

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I would have to say that you'd probably have the best tasting Asian Water Buffalo you could get. Where you going to hunt?

I would classify it as more of a shoot than a hunt. Its just a preserve in Tennessee. Some things come up the last few days so probably have to wait.
It fenced so thats why I say a shoot instead of a hunt. I was going to look at it as Grocery shopping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whereabouts in Tennessee? I live in northwest TN.

I also forgot to mention that if/when you shoot your water buffalo, I have a great recipe for water buffalo "Italian" sausage. I brown that up and mix it with spaghetti sauce and it's great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be that dry-aging the meat will help a great deal - just guessing on a "cook's knowledge" of tough meats.

After that, I would try some marinades, and either really avoid much cooking at all, or cook very slowly, and w. lots of moisture.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whereabouts in Tennessee? I live in northwest TN.

I also forgot to mention that if/when you shoot your water buffalo, I have a great recipe for water buffalo "Italian" sausage. I brown that up and mix it with spaghetti sauce and it's great!

The place I am talking about is Wilderness Hunting Lodge just outside Monterey. But like I said it would be more of a grocery shopping shoot than a hunt.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Well without considering the age of the animal, how was it killed, the knowledge of the cooker, the preferred way to cook it (grilled, boiled,etc) and, most important, how hungry might you be in that specific moment Big Grin , I would say its very tasty... sometimes for me it was even better than any shorthorn, hereford, aberdeen angus, etc. I would have eaten by that very same moment Cool

Water Buffalo meat is much leaner than beef, thus its cooking methods differs - even more if you want to take its qualities and properties at their most

This type of meat (as happens with almost all meat from game animals) needs to be prepared by someone who has to know how to do it, eaten by someone willing to experience its unique savours without any major preconception, preferably favoured by a nice environment, accompanied by fellow hunters or at least friends speaking this very same languaje - and accompanied with enough quantities of good aged wine (malbec is my first option)- to end with a good cigar (could be pipe aswell) and a cognac ...

After this, you should then tell me if water buffalo meat is tasty Wink

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT, my friend was an excellent post!!!

I would love to share some water buffalo steaks with you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT, my friend was an excellent post!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had water buffalo in Australia, in a hunting camp where I took a massive bull as well as numerous meat animals for the local indigenous population.

The guide had aged buff steaks which were thinly sliced and cooked rare on the grill. They were fine, very nice on the pallet. Definitely tasted different to farmed beef, not gamey, just different. Quite tender and all good. We also tried some of my bull and whilst flavour was fine, he was as tough as all sin....old boots is a good description.

The same back stakes aged for 3 weeks in the cooler and cooked similarly to what we did in camp was better. Certainly the smaller buff taken for meat for the local community tasted better than my old bruiser, although we eventually managed to do justice to what we bought back from the big boy.

Nothing surprising in what I've written, younger animals will be more tender than big old bulls and water buffalo is a quality game meat, well worth the trouble to recover and age properly.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 41 | Location: Melb, Australia | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
Well without considering the age of the animal, how was it killed, the knowledge of the cooker, the preferred way to cook it (grilled, boiled,etc) and, most important, how hungry might you be in that specific moment Big Grin , I would say its very tasty... sometimes for me it was even better than any shorthorn, hereford, aberdeen angus, etc. I would have eaten by that very same moment Cool

Water Buffalo meat is much leaner than beef, thus its cooking methods differs - even more if you want to take its qualities and properties at their most

This type of meat (as happens with almost all meat from game animals) needs to be prepared by someone who has to know how to do it, eaten by someone willing to experience its unique savours without any major preconception, preferably favoured by a nice environment, accompanied by fellow hunters or at least friends speaking this very same languaje - and accompanied with enough quantities of good aged wine (malbec is my first option)- to end with a good cigar (could be pipe aswell) and a cognac ...

After this, you should then tell me if water buffalo meat is tasty Wink

Martin...just reading that made me hunger for some. Back when I killed my bull Juan Pablo cooked it on the parilla and it was as good as it gets. And like you said, good company and a good Malbec sure does help. tu2

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
tu2 beer

We will surely share soon one "buffalo" barbacue as described, my friend !!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Tastes like chicken... rotflmo

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
" IF " your butchering a fresh harvest (Hunt), and decided to cook-up some fresh meat .., why not start off with the " Tenderloins "?

" ... Since, as the name implies, it is the most tender part of the animal, beef dishes requiring high quality meat, such as steak tartare, are ideally made from the tenderloin. "

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/...-tenderloin/top.aspx

http://hubpages.com/hub/Diagra...o-Butcher-a-Beef-Cow

I can't see why cooking " Water Buffalo Meat ", would be any different than any other " Lean Red Meat ".

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote