THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Who said that water buffaloes are not dangerous?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who said that water buffaloes are not dangerous?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The tale says that a poacher was killed by a buff some days ago near Dean Funes, Cordoba Province. It seems that the rogue bull has a harem of two or three cows, all of them shy like the devil thus can not be approached in a horse or truck.
The dead man was trapping pumas, of course an illegal activity, got distracted and the killer scored. The same animal also dismounted one of the farm´s hands, killing his horse.
The landowner, an international hunter and a well known member of the SCI Argentine Chapter, never goes far from his 416 Rigby, loaded with solids, when roaming these woods.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
He paid the price.....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One dead poacher............a good start.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted water buffalo with a bow this past spring in La Pampa and was lucky enough to get one, but my guide would not go out without bringing a back up .458. The guides are all scared of them, so there must be something to it.

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was charged a few years ago by an enraged water buffalo. Maybe 1,100 kilos ... he started the rush from ten yards .. lowered his head and came for me and Gaucho for all that he was worth. He was magnificent ! We won .. but just barely.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Juan Pozzi and I stopped one a few years ago after I pissed him off by shooting him with a 375 H&H at close range. Juans' 45/70 and the second barrel on my double knocked him down. The story is in the Argentine version of Magnum Magazine for July, this year.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard,
That buffalo charge was a close call. Those moments remain vivid in your mind forever. I had another close call last August in Zim. Two of us were hunting together for PAC elephants.
We had a full charge of three elephants from 50 yards out. We were lucky to kill all three. They had killed two farmers a few nights before and were super agressive. I had the same feeling we all had after the buffalo charge in Uruguay. Disbelief and also relief.
Regards, Ed

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Ed !!

Good to see that you are out there living life as it should be !!! Bravo ! So sad that all those Uruguayan buffalo are mostly or all gone now ...

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
SGraves was cahrged by a lonely old male,i was charged many times while hunting with dogos ,and while filming in september a bull charged another and it fall at my feet ,i killed the charging bull and the other .
I know at least 4 people badly injured by buffalos ,and several more by domestic buffalos,used in dary farms.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The domestic water buffalo is a result of 5000+ years of domestication. When released back into the wild they do get back some of their old aggressive personality. The true wild water buffalo of India, Nepal, SE Asia etc. is the meanest animal around. Even tigers avoid them and are often chased away by them. In the old British raj days of beat hunting on elephant back, domestic water buffalo were often used as the front line to case out tigers from thick jungle & high elephant grass.

As I have said before in other posts, the wild buffalo of Kaziranga in Assam, India, regularly kill forest guards, poachers etc. and also charge riding elephants with tourists! These animals stand up to 6'4" at the shoulder and are real mean monsters.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Here's the young bull in Argentina that charged after the first shot.

Willy1953 kneeling on left, Juan in middle, me kneeling on right.
One of the gauchos is holding Willy's 1909 Argentine .375 mauser, Juan has his .45/70 Marlin, and I have a 375 Merkel double. Juan and I did a 50-60 yd belly-crawl to get to shooting postion from about 25-30 yds..

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Wonderfull memories ,this was a good hunt
Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Stephen ill send MAGNUM magazine on monday ,i hope you receive it soon .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw literally hundreds of three foot tall eight to ten year olds in Vietnam herding them around with a bamboo shoot for a whip. And women guiding them with a similar stick in front of a plow...

No offense, but it just is difficult to re-categorize them as dangerous game.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich: agreed that in most cases water buffs are inofensive. But with certain, particular animals, more so with cows who recently gave birth, things can differ. It´s no joke to be followed by one of these enormous beasts in a dark night and over a difficult terrain (this happened to me, I still have the badly cut boots due to thorny branches).In a well known incident Carlos Coto, an outdoor and firearms writer, was dismounted and severely wounded by a dying buff.
Regards

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
When raised around people, buffalo are more gentle than cattle. But cattle or buffalo raised in the wild without contact by humans are very unlikely to be tolerant of human presence. Most of the time, they will leave ASAP, a few go the other direction.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I saw literally hundreds of three foot tall eight to ten year olds in Vietnam herding them around with a bamboo shoot for a whip. And women guiding them with a similar stick in front of a plow...

No offense, but it just is difficult to re-categorize them as dangerous game

Rich

True but one acted fool enough to get an HE from a M-79 Don't think it's a real DGR but what the hell it worked in a tight.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in Uruguay we went over to see a friend's herd of water buffalo. I think that they are about five years old or so and were orphans originally from the cull that took out the buffalo that were living in the wild in the northern part of the country .. While we were driving in the paddock one of the satellite bulls got too close to the herd bull (and remember .. these are guppies in size compared to the really old big guys !) .. the dominant bull rushed up in a frickin' rage ... anyone who thinks an animal like that couldn't do serious damage to a puny human has no imagination . I am not lacking in that stuff, actually. Smiler popcorn

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We saw many hunters and farmers injured every year ,althoug death is rare ,accidents are common .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not denying the danger in the wild, it just (personally) is difficult to imagine them like Cape buffalo...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Juan, thak you, I have received the issue of Magnum with our water Buffalo hunt.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Rich, thanks for your comments. Most of us must admit that if a tame water buffalo that will kill a tiger, then a wild one is somewhat more dangerous.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been doing some research, per a PM from someone here. A guy could get killed almost as messily as by a Cape Buffalo if he screwed around a little.
I am adding one to the bucket list.

Rich