Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor Channel--Paraguay
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Bob Foulkrod's show on the Outdoor channel has been showing his hunt with Rocky McBride at Rocky's ranch in the Chaco of Paraguay. They hunted water buffalo, brocket deer, and dove. They were able to video a jaguarundi, a giant anteater, caiman, charatas, and capybara. Much of the hunting was done from lawn-chairs at some of the water-holes which Rocky had dug with his bulldozer. They also treed a small puma.
Rocky occasionally does dart-hunting for jaguar. He is famous for his world-wide experience treeing or baying the various big cats with his dogs, and for his work on cat parasites and diseases. If anyone is interested in contacting Rocky, his US mailing address is Rocky McBride Guide Service at Box 455, Alpine, Texas.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hunting big game is completely forbidden in Paraguay, you go directly to jail...

Locals do hunt brocket deer, javalinas and other game for food but it's illegal, you are not able to take rifles into the country.

A famous soccer player once told by a tv interview about his puma hunt and the police went to his house and arrested him.

Just do some google for yourself...

Only doves are allowed. I will be more specific, only birds are allowed.

Maybe he hunted in some kind of fenced property with a special permit, but I don't think so..

Darting a wild jaguar ???

Depends of the area, some parts have big trees and maybe you can go under it and darted but I think is BS. A jaguar is a BIG bat, much bigger than a leopard, imagine falling from a tall tree to the floor, he can broke a bone or two and with a pack of dogs under the tree ??, and darting a wild jaguar in the floor, in the thickness of the paraguayan brush, with all dogs around ???? where you can not see at five metres infront, BS !!!!!!!!!!!

I have never bad mouth anyone here, but the only way to find a jaguar during day light is with a pack of dogs, he will climb a tree or he will sit to fight in the thickiest stuff you can never imagine.

During night?? to bait a jaguar is not a piece of cake, you dart it and then what ? the cat run again into the thick brush till he fell asleep who knows when, after what ? 10 minutes running ?

And then you go into that stuff with a dog at night to find a sleeping jaguar ??

And if the jaguar attacks ??? someone must back up you killing the jaguar which is completely protected.

Many people hunt jaguars illegaly, just find a farmer complaining about loosing his cattle and you will able to try for it. But you will need good dogs, guns and TIME. And never told or show pictures to anyone...

It can be done ? yes, but too much risk for the jaguar's life, too much things can go south quickly so I can not imagine the Paraguayan authorities allowing this type of hunt.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I have done some research in the internet and indeed this man is doing what you say and it seems he has not had any problems (injured cats) while doing it.

I will not delete my previous post because what is said IS said, but it seems that I must eat my words.. Roll Eyes

But honestly, being there and knowing the stuff where they are, it seems impossible to go around darting jaguars with a client without having a cat or two killed now and then. Amazing he has been able to do it succesfully.

Well, but back to hunting deers or any other stuff..... Roll Eyes

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
Thanks for the followup post. McBride works with many National gov'ts on big cat conservation. My home state of Arkansas hired him to see if he could find any signs of wild cougars (pumas) here (he didn't find any). He has a large ranch in Paraguay that is fenced for cattle and perhaps that is how he is able to hunt brocket deer there. If anyone is able to get the Paraguayan Gov't to open sport hunting, McBride would likely have the best facts to support the idea.
The McBride family have been big cat hunters and biologists for several generations.
Here's a story on how they dart jaguars:
They use great care to prevent injury to the cat, and I am sure all darting is done in conjunction with some conservation agenda/program.
http://www.myadventurers.com/news/news.aspx?nid=14

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Between the mists of my mind, I remember seeing some articles in Outdoor Life during the 50´s picturing the McBride´s and their hounds...there was one (I believe) titled "El tigre bravo".
Please Nickudu, come to the rescue..... Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I saw pictures of his darted jaguars, it's increadibly what this man is doing and also is increadible how my italian blood makes me open my mouth before doing some research Big Grin

My apologies to this man Roll Eyes

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
Your second post was a noble action, clap
God men sometimes make a mistake, it is just one way to learm- Cool

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm ... I wonder how much a little ranch in the Chaco would cost .. say about a 1,000 acres where a frost bitten Canuck can thaw out for a few months every year ... and throw rocks at the creepy crawlies when they come too near ... Confused Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/...d=OLPHVIDEO_824_HIGH

Fantastic video of jaguar being darted and grabbed by the tail when it tries to escape.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9361 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/h..._details.cfm?id=2813

Large game excepting jags weren't expressly mentioned, but it sounds like that's where it's going.

I didn't realize the country was that big, about the size of California.

I'm curious what comparisons can be drawn between it and Uruguay.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo:

SCI had a category in its record books for darted jaguars when I retired from my post as director of publications in 1999. A number of jaguars were safely darted, collared with radio-transmitting collars and tracked by satellite as part of a research project conducted by the University of Mexico. Sport hunters who did the darting financed the project by paying for the "hunts."

Ten jaguars were collared and released in 1996, the first year. I don't know if it is still ongoing, but the last I heard the program that began in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula had been expanded to Belize and Guatemala.

If you want to know more about darting jaguars, there's a chapter that covers it in "Around The World And Then Some," which I wrote for David Hanlin. The research program was David's idea, and he spent a lot of his money and time setting it up. The key was getting SCI to create a darted jaguar category, which attracted hunters who provided the funds

Bill

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The hunting activity in Paraguay is totally connected with the SCI ,we are hunting there and last year JIM SHOCKEY took several species there .
A colleague of mine Carlos Coto was operating there ,and has written a nice article about hunting in Paraguay in VIDA SALVAJE magazine .
We took a group of hunters and everything was perfect.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
There is a lots of Jags in Central and south America so why is it such a sin to hunt one?
It could open great new industry and bring ton of money to local communities.
I suppose politics have something to do with it?
Same thing like Asian leopards and few tigers. There is the money Game Departments in those countries could use for sure.
If it can be done with both rhino species, then it can be done with about everything and propagate and save the species as well...
What's wrong with people. Weren't we all hunters once?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some ARgentine Phs and a brazilian PH were jailed and tortured in Brazil after being ctached hunting jaguars in the Amazon .

Posts: 108 | Location: Cordoba | Registered: 15 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juliofabry:
Some ARgentine Phs and a brazilian PH were jailed and tortured in Brazil after being ctached hunting jaguars in the Amazon .

really not in amazon, but in Pantanal(brazilian chaco)...

Caçar é mais que matar, é um estado de espirito...

Posts: 82 | Location: Brasil | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote