Find
Notify
Tools

Puma
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Friends i learned how to post photos so ill be boring you with some

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Friends i learned how to post photos so ill be boring you with some

Boring ???? Eeker
Please get us "bored" with some more pics !!! clap

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures! What is the name of that buffalo ? I have only seen a few pictures of the ones with the long droopy horns like that

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Nice pictures! What is the name of that buffalo ? I have only seen a few pictures of the ones with the long droopy horns like that

Jaffarabadi

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
More photos if you please. The buffalo is fine. Looks like the Marlin did the job well.
beer

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The matlin guide gun is one of my favourites carbines,this buffalo was injured by 7 shots of a 375hyh,then the client jammed the marlin i passed to him and finally was shot by a browning shotgun 6 shots of slugs plus a shel of birdshot the last one ,it fall at my feet .Rodolfo the son of Alberto who is a paramedic was there and he never hesitated that we would stop the charge althoug he was very young ,a brave young hunter.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
7 shots out of a 375, huh. What kind of ammo was he using anyways? Or was it a shakey marksmanship problem?

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy1:
7 shots out of a 375, huh. What kind of ammo was he using anyways? Or was it a shakey marksmanship problem?

How many shots did it take Jack O'Connor to get his first cape buffalo? Wasn't it 16 or 17?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
I'll take your word on that. I never followed O'Connor much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sgraves: the article was "Buffaloes shoot back". O´Connor was guided by Donald Ker. First he shot the buff in the nape of the neck with a soft nose from his 450 Watts...and the beast recovered and charged them. After two or three shots swirled and was shot in the lungs again. I read the original article in Outdoor Life many years more than I care to remember Big Grin. After the melee Ker reprimanded Jack for not using solids.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Cape Buffalo except that I have hunted them without success. But O'Connor's experience brings to mind one I once had with our American Bison. Bovines are tough.

I once shot one with my .375 H&H and he went 50 feet, and rolled over stone cold dead. A few years later I shot one with my 45-70 using Garrett's cartridges. It stood there continuing to chew. My grandsons, who were with me, said "Papa, you missed, shoot again."
I knew I had not missed but did shoot again. Still chewing.....Urged on once more, another shot. This time it was kind enough to lie down.

I was fed up by this time and told my guide to finish it with a brain shot with his -06.

Opening the chest cavity we found I had made three dead center lung shots! Had this been a Cape I am sure we would have had a battle on our hands.

The following photos from that experience:

New Mexico bison country

My MArlin 45-70 on the dead, finally, bison

Had I left my little Bill (Jack Russell) long enough, he would have completely stripped all the hair off the beast.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Buffaloes Shoot Back" - Five Shots

One quartering rear high lung shot where the 480 grain bullet broke up on the spine. One heart shot while down. Buffalo rose, turned to face them and charged. Blasted at 30 yards by the .450 Watts and Ker's .475 (assume one shot each) with buffalo veering off to one side. Finished with one more shot by O'Connor. It was in a much later article: "The Indestructable Buffalo" where many shots were required (9?).

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Nick, you wouldn't have that in a pdf floating around, would you?

posted Hide Post
Affirmative! thumb I believe I have virtually All JOC's overseas hunts; Euro, India, Africa.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've no experience with Asian water buffalo, but I have personal experience that Cape buffalo are darned tough creatures.

My only Cape buffalo took seven solids from my .458 Win Mag over a 45-minute period before it finally died (we'd track it, I'd shoot it, and it would run off, etc. etc.)

Only one of those seven bullets did not exit the animal, and that was one that I shot as it limped away. I tried to break its spine and missed by five or six inches. The skinning crew found the bullet in the bull's stomach. It had rifling marks, but it was in good enough shape to reload a cartridge and shoot it again.

My first of two bisons was shot a bit below and behind the ear with a .270 Win at 50 yards and it was dead before it hit the ground.

My second bison was shot in the heart at 40 yards with a .45-caliber percussion rifle built by Alex Henry in the mid-1800s shooting a 500-grain paper-patched hard-lead bullet. It also dropped in its tracks and died with its legs in the air in a frozen creek.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A question for Bill. What was the date in the 1800's when you purchased that rifle?

Good on ya. I would not enjoyed being along to get that beast out of the creek, then field dressed and loaded. Carajo! What a job that must have been.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Sorry about turning this thread in another direction.

I bought that rifle from Walmart on 1 May 1836, when I was just ten years old. I still have the receipt handwritten with a quill pen. Smiler

I hunted that bison with a Colorado muzzleloading club. The deal with the rancher who owned the herd was that I would get first shot if I wrote a story about the hunt; after that, the animal was fair game to the club's members.

We rode around on horseback, found the herd, and made a short stalk on foot. I had only a small opening in a grove of aspens to shoot, and I was hoping the bison would dash out of the creek after I shot.

It didn't, and the club members and I spent the morning in the creek skinning the animal and loading it on the mules they'd brought for that purpose. When we returned to the tee pees they'd set up, we feasted on bison backstraps and innards.

Although this was a privately owned herd, my hunt and the work after it was comparable to anything out of the 1800s.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I saw many buffalos killed and killed some too ,they are very thougt creatures ,i remeber the charge of your first buffalo Steven -it was really exiting - .Bill in th future il kill a bison with one of your bowens.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top]another PUMA pumahttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/juanpozzi/img046.jpg[/IMG]

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
[IMG:top]another PUMA pumahttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/juanpozzi/img046.jpg[/IMG]

thumb

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven Graves with some of my dogs and PAYO ,one of our guides and police combat veteran-i operated him after a big combat with criminals ,in this operation his father as killed- HERE WE ARE PURSUING A BIG PUMA UNTIL NOW IT WASNT CTACHED.JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Great pics. I'd love to get down there to hunt and do some stories. There is so little written on SA hunting. I would think the trades would eat a good hunt story up.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Latest pursue of an injured puma ,we run 4 kms inside the bush after the dogs following a trail ,and we lost the puma in heavy bush near a stream .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA