Find
Notify
Tools

Re: anybody eat mushrooms?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
Love the wild mushrooms.You have to know what's what,but they are really good.Here in Central Idaho some years they are everywhere and easy to get like Huckleberries.Nothing like a good barbequed Elk steak and some sauteed shrooms and of course a cold Coors Light.

You learn real early in life what are good and bad here where it is the thing to do in the spring time while chasing sheds.It makes for a good day in the hills when you can't hunt.

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know if you mis-identify, the toxins in a shroom will shut your liver down and you'll die a sloooooooow death for which there is no cure save a liver transplant -- if they can get to you in time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like fried morels with bacon.

Quarter the mushrooms and cut the slices of bacon about an inch long fry them together in a skillet. My father prefers them dipped in egg and breaded with flour then fried in butter.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love mushrooms! So far this fall have picked about 2 bushels. There are about 5 or 6 varietys that I get from the surrounding woods. Have about 1/2 of a freezer shelf filled with them. Have to save room for fish and deer, so am not to inclined to get many more.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them too. I used to pick them with friends while living in Austria, but they knew what they were doing. I know my mushrooms pretty well - when they are in the produce section, and this is where I get them now. I live in a very dry area, and opportunities to pick them are quite limited. I sure enjoyed picking them when I had the chance however.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Identification is the main thing.
Presence of gills or pores, COLOR of SPORE PRINT, stalk characteristics, staining color on bruising, way gills attach to stalk-or don't attach--these are the main things. I would not eat any mushroom with a white or light brown or green spore print. You must know how to make a spore print before eating any wild mushroom except big puffballs. Puffballs are good and Nearly everyone knows how to identify them from childhood.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I've been trained when I was young in searching mushrooms, it was a normal food in my Grandmother family.
The only problem was that during the middle of the last century in the mountain village where they lived there were few people and teh mushrooms were abundants, and for this reason they take only few type of them, now a lot of people go to find mushrooms so is a little bit more difficult to have a good bag, without speaking of taxes or laws with a lot of limitations and controls by the forestal police etc etc.

During the last hunting season I had some occasions to find a good quantity of them
here the photos of the type mushrooms that I found:
mazza da tamburo
Giallini
rossetti

for anyone that is interested to the mushrooms this is a very interesting sit

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I forgot to put the site:
Fungocenter .
Attention some translation is incomplete, sometime the automatic translator, when is impossible to translate the italian word laeve it as is.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaycocreek:Love the wild mushrooms.Nothing like a good barbequed Elk steak and some sauteed shrooms and of course a cold Coors Light.

I love mushrooms, too. One of the finer things in life. But then to wash them down with a Light beer? Get real!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
LOL. My sentiments exactly.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Morels are out now.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here, in Czech Republic is mushroom collecting a "national sport". There is a lot of meals with wild mushrooms in many forms, fresh or dried. I pick up them for over 20 years and I am of course 100% sure if it is or it is not eatable mushroom. If I don't know what mushroom it is, I will not eat it of course. Here live about 10 milion people, wild mushrooms pick up maybe 5 milion and few of them (up to ten) die each year.

This is not true that toxic mushroom will destroy your liver, but not at all. There are many toxic mushrooms with very different kinds of toxins. Some are neurotoxins, some will destroy liver,some kidney and some are toxic only in combination with alcohol and with alcohol they will force you vomit (used as antialcoholic cure).

The most dangerous here are Amanita Phalloides, Cortinarius orellanus and Amanita pantherina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_pantherina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethal_webcaps

Jiri

Posts: 2078 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My neighbor found 3 morels about 2 weeks ago, but it has been too cold since then. We went out Easter looking for them and didn't find any but
had a good time as a family.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
morals, sliced long ways dipped in milk and egg coated with mill and flour 50/50 mix fried in bacon grease.
My greaty anut Hattie made these for us

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone in Missouri eats them, been too cold here so far. Maybe they'll be out this week. Hivelosity knows the program for these. Follow his directions, this is the proper way to cook them.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've been picking and eating wild mushrooms since I was a kid...... don't do it so much now that I live in Africa. I especially used to love those puffball mushrooms you get in the UK.

All those years of eating wild mushrooms have never done me any harm...... in fact, I firmly believe it's what's made me such a fun-guy all my life! jumping