quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:
quote:
Mike the future of solar and e-cars is solely a legislative matter. As has happened in many states as soon as the subsidies and power buybacks end, solar crashes and e-cars lose their luster.

No matter how sold you are on solar, you better hope the legislators and power companies are too. Otherwise it's an expensive experiment. Florida came damn close to losing their subsidies and access to it in 2016. I wouldn't get too blinded by solar.

It's great to be a pioneer, but sometimes you only wind up with an ass full of arrows.

May be expensive for you in Namibia working in the wildlife industry,

But for a good segment of people in the us it is a purely discretionary expenditure.

Buying a Tesla is not a necessity just like buying double rifles or hunting Africa or fishing offshore.

This is spending $45-150k on a car that is better than its other internal combustion engine substitutes. Tesla electric car tax credit will be gone soon anyways as car sales reach 200k.

The simple fact is Tesla’s electric are a viable and better alternative to other expensive cars.

All the negative stuff about Tesla has moved from the product to questioning the business model or the profitability of its business model. I heard the same with amazon too.

I am looking forward to my test drive tomorrow.

https://www.topgear.com/videos...s-full-new-york-test

Mike

Like I said, it's a looong way from making financial sense and is more of a toy, hobby, lifestyle.

As is African hunting, offshore fishing, blaser rifles, good optics, high end fishing reels and damn near everything else I do. The good luck of having discretionary income in life.

Mike

While talking to a politically active environmentalist here in France, she brought up the fact that if every car in the world were to become a purely electric car, there wouldn't be enough rare earth elements for it to happen. The fact that China seems to have a majority of the rare earth resources, its no wonder that Chinese owned Volvo won't be producing a single internal combustion engine after 2020. I wouldn't buy a Volvo today since a few years down the line you may not be able to get parts for it.

Conclusion of the environmentalist is that efficient gasoline powered hybrid cars are the best thing for the environment. Electricity in Europe basically bowls down to nuclear power or coal/gas fired power plants, and environmentalists don't like either. If legislation drives the market, the gasoline/hybrid engine will probably come out on top. Tesla, as a viable sustainable business, is a joke. Look at their numbers, they lose money big time.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Tesla and upgraded my model 3 for larger battery, all wheel drive, luxury package and auto pilot.

I drove the model s p100d - it was crazy good. The auto pilot handled some crazy construction on i4 with ease. This is the best car in the world and it is expensive - $140k.

Biggest shock was when we logged into my Tesla account to upgrade - my old delivery date was August-October 2018. With upgrades it is end of year 2018.

Much earlier than I expected.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mike the future of solar and e-cars is solely a legislative matter. As has happened in many states as soon as the subsidies and power buybacks end, solar crashes and e-cars lose their luster.

No matter how sold you are on solar, you better hope the legislators and power companies are too. Otherwise it's an expensive experiment. Florida came damn close to losing their subsidies and access to it in 2016. I wouldn't get too blinded by solar.

It's great to be a pioneer, but sometimes you only wind up with an ass full of arrows.

May be expensive for you in Namibia working in the wildlife industry,

But for a good segment of people in the us it is a purely discretionary expenditure.

Buying a Tesla is not a necessity just like buying double rifles or hunting Africa or fishing offshore.

This is spending $45-150k on a car that is better than its other internal combustion engine substitutes. Tesla electric car tax credit will be gone soon anyways as car sales reach 200k.

The simple fact is Tesla’s electric are a viable and better alternative to other expensive cars.

All the negative stuff about Tesla has moved from the product to questioning the business model or the profitability of its business model. I heard the same with amazon too.

I am looking forward to my test drive tomorrow.

https://www.topgear.com/videos...s-full-new-york-test

Mike

Like I said, it's a looong way from making financial sense and is more of a toy, hobby, lifestyle.

As is African hunting, offshore fishing, blaser rifles, good optics, high end fishing reels and damn near everything else I do. The good luck of having discretionary income in life.

Mike

While talking to a politically active environmentalist here in France, she brought up the fact that if every car in the world were to become a purely electric car, there wouldn't be enough rare earth elements for it to happen. The fact that China seems to have a majority of the rare earth resources, its no wonder that Chinese owned Volvo won't be producing a single internal combustion engine after 2020. I wouldn't buy a Volvo today since a few years down the line you may not be able to get parts for it.

Conclusion of the environmentalist is that efficient gasoline powered hybrid cars are the best thing for the environment. Electricity in Europe basically bowls down to nuclear power or coal/gas fired power plants, and environmentalists don't like either. If legislation drives the market, the gasoline/hybrid engine will probably come out on top. Tesla, as a viable sustainable business, is a joke. Look at their numbers, they lose money big time.

Wink

Your environmental friend is misinformed and plain wrong

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=73&t=11

This is tesla model 3 epa fuel efficiency

https://imgur.com/a/VDSgmVI

Electric cars are 4-6 times as efficient as ice cars. You can burn coal to generate electricity to charge electric cars and they still put out less carbon.

I personally don’t care about my carbon footprint. I just want a nice car.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to Tesla and upgraded my model 3 for larger battery, all wheel drive, luxury package and auto pilot.

Mike

Smart move, it might help you get the car faster. I was watching a news show just the other day and they reported the only Model 3's Tesla is currently making are those with the larger battery pact.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink's environmentalist friend might want to look at Germany (even though they may not want to)! Hardly the sunshine capital of the world they generate significant electricity from solar. The US has a big advantage having several time zones!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but Germany's renewable energy push is highly subsidized and they are now cutting back due to excessive and unsustainable costs.

https://phys.org/news/2016-06-...ergy-transition.html

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LovesLevers:
quote:

Mike

Smart move, it might help you get the car faster. I was watching a news show just the other day and they reported the only Model 3's Tesla is currently making are those with the larger battery pact.

Production is limited to a single model type.

I logged in to my account - the lower power car is a 2019 delivery.

I may also upgrade to the air suspension in the model s car.

There were dozen model 3 for local delivery in Orlando area.

The sales guy told me the model s will be drivers car. The model 3 is designed to eventually be part of commuter, shared, autonomous car.

I think the model 3 will be a perfect car for my mom - she is 70. The autopilot would significantly help her driving on interstates that she dislikes.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, did they resolve/explain the crash with autopilot engaged? I have not heard anything.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Mike, did they resolve/explain the crash with autopilot engaged? I have not heard anything.
Peter.

Did not hear anything.

I would assume that it will be due to driver error.

I used it on i4 in construction and it was flawless.

These will be evolutionary systems with ability to upgrade hardware and software on cars over time.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Autopilot is not the same as autonomous. Tesla says that the driver was given several warnings to put his hand on the wheel (and presumably take over) but did not.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Autopilot is not the same as autonomous. Tesla says that the driver was given several warnings to put his hand on the wheel (and presumably take over) but did not.
Peter.

Yup but I think the hardware will be able to go to autonomous with software updates.

I also think the hardware will be upgradeable over time.

I am a big proponent of autonomous vechicles. We kill may too many people every year in auto accidents.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno! I would still like to have a steering wheel just in case!! Is the information stored in situ or is it beamed down via satellite? Too many points of failure for my liking. I would like an explanation of the mechanism before I buy into it. I don't doubt that it would probably be better than most drivers (myself included).
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dunno! I would still like to have a steering wheel just in case!! Is the information stored in situ or is it beamed down via satellite? Too many points of failure for my liking. I would like an explanation of the mechanism before I buy into it. I don't doubt that it would probably be better than most drivers (myself included).
Peter.

I am not sure on the degree to which Tesla software updates traffic info. The system I saw was car specific. Eight cameras and radar.

I know google and others are working on integrated approaches.

Get google map on your phone and see real time traffic updates. They come from aggregation of consumer smart phone data. I am pretty sure tesla and other self drive systems will learn have elements of artificial intelligence.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Consumer Reports just gave the model 3 a “not recommended” rating.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Ford F-150 can out brake it.

Sounds like a lot of excitement to drive - real fast and cannot stop. What could possibly go wrong?

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Ford F-150 can out brake it.

Sounds like a lot of excitement to drive - real fast and cannot stop. What could possibly go wrong?

Easy fix

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...es-offers-fix-2018-5

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty telling that Consumer Reports is having to do Tesla's vehicle development work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty telling that Consumer Reports is having to do Tesla's vehicle development work.

Shows how amazing Tesla Product is that everything can be adjusted with software upgrade.

A generation ahead of anything else out there

https://cleantechnica.com/2018...umer-reports-top-10/

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you're so sold on it all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Shows how amazing Tesla Product is that everything can be adjusted with software upgrade.

A generation ahead of anything else out there

https://cleantechnica.com/2018...umer-reports-top-10/

Mike

Hmmmmm.........not really. Some can be controlled with software updates, but not all. This quote was taken from one of the links you provided:

"The publication did not recommend the vehicle, criticising its stopping distance, touchscreen, ride quality, rear seat, and the amount of wind noise it produced while driving at highway speeds, while complimenting its range, handling, and acceleration".

I am neutral on the Tesla brand. Might buy one at some point. But they are not without their critics or flaws.