Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone order a Tesla Model 3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
India game plan is basically let China electrify and then break oil and use a twenty year lag to use oil.

Makes sense, but I am not sure that the Indian population will wait that long.They want the goodies now! They are tired of using bicycles to power their cell phones.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
India game plan is basically let China electrify and then break oil and use a twenty year lag to use oil.

Makes sense, but I am not sure that the Indian population will wait that long.They want the goodies now! They are tired of using bicycles to power their cell phones.
Peter.

All you need to do is take 10-20 percent of the cars to be electric.

Oil is a global commodity.

China is breaking oil thru electrification.

India is assuming cheap oil let’s it get buy short term.

I think the real advantage us has is we are massively spread out - the next step of electrification will be autonomous vechicles. We are perfect for it.

Either way we are at the end of the oil age.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting thread so far and obviously it has not yet reached it's conclusion.

I'm sitting on the intersection of a fence running in three directions.

I run a diesel powered land-cruiser, which I love, but the cost of fuel here in Australia is absolutely crippling.
I would need a battery capacity to equal my diesel tank range of 1100km's before it would become a feasible option over here.

I have owned/operated a remote camp that I actually looked into powering by solar but it was way too cost prohibitive. My camp was located adjacent to what is referred to a Home-land" "outstation" which is a traditional home range for a specific group/family line. The outstation consisted of four small/medium sized homes fitted out in a very basic manner (supplied by and built by the Government for our Indigenous people).

These homes were powered by Bush-lite, a completely encompassed solar system.

Built quite some time back it is quite a physically large system comprised of over twenty large solar panels and the battery storage unit takes up the space of a normal suburban garage. Admittedly old technology, but it does work (if you can get the Government to install it at their cost, mind you). I would love to not have to pay the ridiculous price for diesel but specifically here in Aus the required travelling distances between feuling stations and the over-all distances routinely travelled means that much improvement in battery storage needs to happen before they become applicable in this country.

There are a lot of UGLY wind turbines going up in Australia, in some areas you can travel for hours and see nothing but turbines on the horizon. UGLY, UGLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The oil industry has screwed itself by screwing us, literaly, over the barrel, but hey, they don't give a shit, the money's in the bank !!!

Sorry for my rant, but if you are still with me at this stage I need a question answered.

Currently, here in Aus, the Government's portion of the fuel price is something ridiculous like 70% of the pump price.

IF AND WHEN, because I don't doubt it is just a matter of time and r&d, where/how will the Government recoup the lost trillions in fuel excise.
Is it really in the Government's interest to "save-the-planet" ?????

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Battery technology is the key.

Tesla core battery technology is combining lots of lithium ion batteries. It’s 20 year old technology. It’s also open sourced. Tesla competitive advantage is in manufacturing those batteries,

Batteries are the single largest source of r&d in the world. Primarily driven by smart phone industry.

For 80-90 percent of normal use current Tesla models will do fine.

Breaking the storage glass ceiling to get 500-750 miles per charge will be the key.

There will always be a market for internal combustion engines

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
This has been an interesting thread so far and obviously it has not yet reached it's conclusion.

I'm sitting on the intersection of a fence running in three directions.

I run a diesel powered land-cruiser, which I love, but the cost of fuel here in Australia is absolutely crippling.
I would need a battery capacity to equal my diesel tank range of 1100km's before it would become a feasible option over here.

I have owned/operated a remote camp that I actually looked into powering by solar but it was way too cost prohibitive. My camp was located adjacent to what is referred to a Home-land" "outstation" which is a traditional home range for a specific group/family line. The outstation consisted of four small/medium sized homes fitted out in a very basic manner (supplied by and built by the Government for our Indigenous people).

These homes were powered by Bush-lite, a completely encompassed solar system.

Built quite some time back it is quite a physically large system comprised of over twenty large solar panels and the battery storage unit takes up the space of a normal suburban garage. Admittedly old technology, but it does work (if you can get the Government to install it at their cost, mind you). I would love to not have to pay the ridiculous price for diesel but specifically here in Aus the required travelling distances between feuling stations and the over-all distances routinely travelled means that much improvement in battery storage needs to happen before they become applicable in this country.

There are a lot of UGLY wind turbines going up in Australia, in some areas you can travel for hours and see nothing but turbines on the horizon. UGLY, UGLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The oil industry has screwed itself by screwing us, literaly, over the barrel, but hey, they don't give a shit, the money's in the bank !!!

Sorry for my rant, but if you are still with me at this stage I need a question answered.

Currently, here in Aus, the Government's portion of the fuel price is something ridiculous like 70% of the pump price.

IF AND WHEN, because I don't doubt it is just a matter of time and r&d, where/how will the Government recoup the lost trillions in fuel excise.
Is it really in the Government's interest to "save-the-planet" ?????

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, not sure when you last considered solar, however, the prices have dropped almost 30% in the last 5 years - especially if you're not paying some dumbass to install it.

Calculating your energy requirements is very straightforward and by switching to LED lighting and high efficiency appliances (including AC) it makes a significant cut in your electrical demands for your system.

We use a Solar/Generator hybrid system as it is less expensive (in the long run) to operate. We fire up the diesel generator whenever there is a big draw like washing machines and dryers or when the batteries drop below 60%. Even though we use L-I batteries, it is best to keep them above 50% at all times. Storage (batteries) is the most expensive part of the system from both acquisition and maintenance perspective - then generators, then panels and finally inverters.

In regards to vehicles, it will probably be never when they make sense for work type vehicles in an outback type setting. All of our Cruisers, Hiluxs, Mahendras are diesels and all have extended range tanks to get at 1100 to 1300 Ks - otherwise you will be walking at some point. The only exceptions are two Unimogs - they chow diesel. Fuel stations are not on every street corner, in fact there aren't a lot of street corners where we operate.

Your conditions in the outback is not that much different than our conditions in northern Namibia. Except our road hazards are a little different than yours (Springbok, Zebra and the occasional herd of Elephant) You guys have to deal with bouncy rats.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question about gasoline taxes Paul! I think that (the UK certainly and) most of Europe is very dependent on tax revenues from gasoline. Being dependent on this source of revenue, they will almost certainly tax generation from solar, solar panels themselves etc. Europe jumped on the diesel bandwagon early, while the US did not.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oil/fuel taxes will simply be transferred to other consumer goods as oil use declines - like e-cars, solar panels, batteries, road-use taxes and the like. The government will not be denied their tax dollars.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
government will not be denied their tax dollars.

Of course not! It costs money to provide health care to the great unwashed!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ummmm more like road construction and infrastructure maintenance due to vehicle traffic. And as more e-cars place demands on the electrical grid, expect electrical costs and special taxes to escalate.

You really should keep your political nonsense in the Crater where it belongs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Ummmm more like road construction and infrastructure maintenance due to vehicle traffic. And as more e-cars place demands on the electrical grid, expect electrical costs and special taxes to escalate.

You really should keep your political nonsense in the Crater where it belongs...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/c...ensive/#21336c5b121e

https://www.wired.com/story/el...mpact-electric-grid/

https://www.technologyreview.c...s-threaten-the-grid/

There will be minimal impact of electrical cars on the grid.

A Tesla uses $500-$600 worth of electricity a year. My monthly electricity bill varies between $500-$1000. Cars are used on average 4 percent of the day. Rest of the time they just sit. Electric vechicles for daily used can comfortably be charged at home using same infrastructure as washer dryer.

A lot of electric cars users will also switch to solar.

My buddies with a Tesla panel roof on the gulf coast of Florida are already selling power back to the grid. They are generating so much Solar power they bought a Nissan Leaf to use excess power.

The energy efficieny miracle between 2000-2015 put nearly every merchant power company in bankruptcy. US power utization as percentation of gdp collapsed.

Solar power hopefully gives all the regulated utilities a wake up call. The easy rate based life is coming to an end.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are utility you are hoping for electric cars.

Data on electricity and gdp

https://www-cdn.law.stanford.e...-Economic-Growth.pdf

If you are a utility you are terrified of solar power and Tesla

Two edged sword.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus, it was 8 - 10 years ago when I looked into solar powering my buffalo camp that I was operating in remote Arnhemland, where normal electricity was not available.

I no longer operate that camp, having retired from guiding back in 2014 so the discussion is moot but I do remember it being frightfully expensive. I went to simply running a big gen set when power was required and apart from the interruption to the peacefulness of the sounds of night in the bush (and burning a hole in my pocket for fuel money) it did a bang-up job of keeping our camp running.

I don't want my comments to start some sort of politically based bitching session, I guess I was just thinking out a loud regarding the taxes. I guess a major transition, or shift, in tech such as this will have a few "wrinkles" at introduction and even perhaps for a while thereafter.

A good friend of mine living in Sth Carolina installed solar to his home a couple of years back and raves about it.
They produce ALL the power they need for the entire home and I believe also some excess that goes back to the grid, but they are still driving ICE powered vehicles.

I;m certainly not against development and change but I don't adapt quickly and easily.

I'll keep my V8 Landcruiser until someone game enough wants to try and pry it from my paws !!!!!!!

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike the future of solar and e-cars is solely a legislative matter. As has happened in many states as soon as the subsidies and power buybacks end, solar crashes and e-cars lose their luster.

No matter how sold you are on solar, you better hope the legislators and power companies are too. Otherwise it's an expensive experiment. Florida came damn close to losing their subsidies and access to it in 2016. I wouldn't get too blinded by solar.

It's great to be a pioneer, but sometimes you only wind up with an ass full of arrows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul - I agree. Nothing will replace my 4500 EFI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike the future of solar and e-cars is solely a legislative matter. As has happened in many states as soon as the subsidies and power buybacks end, solar crashes and e-cars lose their luster.

No matter how sold you are on solar, you better hope the legislators and power companies are too. Otherwise it's an expensive experiment. Florida came damn close to losing their subsidies and access to it in 2016. I wouldn't get too blinded by solar.

It's great to be a pioneer, but sometimes you only wind up with an ass full of arrows.

May be expensive for you in Namibia working in the wildlife industry,

But for a good segment of people in the us it is a purely discretionary expenditure.

Buying a Tesla is not a necessity just like buying double rifles or hunting Africa or fishing offshore.

This is spending $45-150k on a car that is better than its other internal combustion engine substitutes. Tesla electric car tax credit will be gone soon anyways as car sales reach 200k.

The simple fact is Tesla’s electric are a viable and better alternative to other expensive cars.

All the negative stuff about Tesla has moved from the product to questioning the business model or the profitability of its business model. I heard the same with amazon too.

I am looking forward to my test drive tomorrow.

https://www.topgear.com/videos...s-full-new-york-test

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
My monthly electricity bill varies between $500-$1000. Cars are used on average 4 percent of the day. Rest of the time they just sit. Electric vechicles for daily used can comfortably be charged at home using same infrastructure as washer dryer.

Mike

Thats amazing (in a bad way). You actually pay that much for electricity every month for a home?

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But for a good segment of people in the us it is a purely discretionary expenditure.

Buying a Tesla is not a necessity just like buying double rifles or hunting Africa or fishing offshore.

This is spending $45-150k on a car that is better than its other internal combustion engine substitutes. Tesla electric car tax credit will be gone soon anyways as car sales reach 200k.

The simple fact is Tesla’s electric are a viable and better alternative to other expensive cars.

All the negative stuff about Tesla has moved from the product to questioning the business model or the profitability of its business model. I heard the same with amazon too.

Mike

Like I said, it's a looong way from making financial sense and is more of a toy, hobby, lifestyle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very few things that drivers do make financial sense. Take diesel pickups for an example. Ford charges almost $9,000 for a diesel in the Superduty. For day to day driving the diesel offers no real advantage unless you tow heavy items on a regular basis. Yet the vast majority of SD’s on the road are diesel. The 6.2 gas motor that comes stock will get the same basic mileage as the diesel if you are not towing and is most likely quicker to boot. But manly men just keep on buying the diesels along with the higher maintenance, higher fuel costs, and the expense of DEF.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LL - I understand what you are saying, but I've never met an e-car owner that didn't wax on over the economics of owning one (of course they don't talk about all the subsidies involved). Likewise I've never met a SD owner that said he did it for the economy of it all.

E-car owners operate under the delusion they are somehow saving the planet. SD owners, not so much.

My 4500 efi Cruiser has never passed a fuel station. The machine drinks diesel and it makes me feel good that I am doing my part warming the planet in the process. Namibia gets cold in the winter...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Like I said, it's a looong way from making financial sense and is more of a toy, hobby, lifestyle.

As is African hunting, offshore fishing, blaser rifles, good optics, high end fishing reels and damn near everything else I do. The good luck of having discretionary income in life.

Mike