New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone order a Tesla Model 3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, Tesla seems to believe his report...

quote:

Tesla issued a statement about Munro's conflicting impressions about the Model 3, noting recent improvements:

"The primary car evaluated by Munro was built in 2017. We have significantly refined our production processes since then, and while there’s always room for improvement, our data already shows that Model 3 quality is rapidly getting better. ... Since we began shipping Model 3 last year, we have been very focused on refining and tuning both part and body manufacturing processes."

Sounds like a brilliant idea to hold off purchasing a Model 3 for a few more years while Tesla "refines" their manufacturing process. But based on their production delays you probably won't have a choice...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Funny, Tesla seems to believe his report...

quote:

Tesla issued a statement about Munro's conflicting impressions about the Model 3, noting recent improvements:

"The primary car evaluated by Munro was built in 2017. We have significantly refined our production processes since then, and while there’s always room for improvement, our data already shows that Model 3 quality is rapidly getting better. ... Since we began shipping Model 3 last year, we have been very focused on refining and tuning both part and body manufacturing processes."

Sounds like a brilliant idea to hold off purchasing a Model 3 for a few more years while Tesla "refines" their manufacturing process. But based on their production delays you probably won't have a choice...

Which is why I like being 450k plus on the delivery schedule Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you should be picking up your new 2017 Model 3 sometime in 2021.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you should be picking up your new 2017 Model 3 sometime in 2021.

Probably 2020

But another genius of Elon Musk and Tesla is they have got rid of model years.

A better battery in a s gets a different designation not a different model year.

Zero advertising
No independent dealer network
Integrated battery and auto manufacturing

Plus 450k paid deposits

2021–2022 I plan to replace my roof with Tesla solar tiles too.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
Hmmm. Ain't nothing that puts a smile on your face like the sound of a V12.

Puts a smile on your banker's face too! There isn't a V12 made that can equal the torque of an electric motor at low rpms!!!!
Guess you could get an electric car and giant woofers to play the sound of a V12 Ferrari exhaust!
Get the best of both worlds!
Peter.

Of course. Even V8s have more torque than a 12.

V12s are all about short stroke & higher revs- meant to exploit the hp curve at top of the tach. Even the smaller V8 (low torque) Ferrari's exhibit this. They run easily at the 55-8500 RPM range and stay at that upper range & don't precipitously drop when you take your foot off the pedal unlike big V8s. (Even further tangentially, the one thing I loved about my 911 Carrera S was the PDK, which short shifted below 2500 rpm when driving normally around town and when you wanted to have fun, it acted like a Turbo between the 4-7500 tach range.)

As far as V12s go you have 2 routes of sound: the GT guttural growl of an Aston and the MBs or the sports car scream of the Italian's. Sound wise I prefer the Astons, though sadly the current Vanquish is the last of the normally aspirated V12s with that growl. The DB11 and Vanquish replacement will all have turbos muting the exhaust note a bit.

Sorry for the digression.

Anyway. Drove the Panamera Hybrid- I'll stick with the Turbo. Couldn't drive a Turbo S only as the only ones were on the floor (FYI my mistake, they only add 130hp from 550-680 hp).

So you have to wait 5 years.

That sucks.

Reminds me of Ferrari where you either have to wait for 3-5 years or pay 50 over sticker for a flipped car with a dozen miles. Oh and in order to even put your 25 down to get on the list you had to be an established customer and bought a used one first.

Been there done that. I'll do it for the Porsche or the Ferrari hybrids/e models when they come out around the same time you get your '17 Tesla.....

I dunno I just can't get used to no sound- had to ask "Is it on?" The god damn auto stop bullshit drives me nuts as it is with a normal engine.....

Good luck.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dunno I just can't get used to no sound- had to ask "Is it on?"

You have obviously never driven a Jaguar V12 or a Mazda rotary engined car. They are quiet and smooth, and yes, I did try to start it when the engine was already running!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troubles at Tesla continue - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/1...taking-time-off.html

Might be 2021 or beyond Mike...

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Well shit. I've ground starters on many cars if you go by that going all the way back to my '76 Sedan de Ville!!!!

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk:
Tesla Model 3 dual-motor ordering opens next week

In a sign that Tesla's Model 3 production continues to improve, CEO Elon Musk tweeted that the company will enable ordering of dual-motor versions of the sedan at the end of next week. Customers waiting for a Model 3 in performance or all-wheel-drive trim can find out how much the options will cost and put orders in with production scheduled to start in July, consistent with Musk's statement last month.

We don't know anything about the specs on either model, but AWD was a $5,000 option on the Model S until it became standard (as it is on the Model X) late last year. Also, in his response to IGN's Ryan McCaffrey, Musk said air suspension could arrive as an option in 2019.

Tesla will enable orders end of next week for dual motor AWD & performance. Starting production of those in July. Air suspension prob next year.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 11, 2018

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Panasonic isn't so upbeat about the current path Tesla is on - https://wccftech.com/panasonic...on-tesla-commitment/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tesla announces major management reorg to address problems - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/1...line-management.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
Elon Musk:
Tesla Model 3 dual-motor ordering opens next week

In a sign that Tesla's Model 3 production continues to improve, CEO Elon Musk tweeted that the company will enable ordering of dual-motor versions of the sedan at the end of next week. Customers waiting for a Model 3 in performance or all-wheel-drive trim can find out how much the options will cost and put orders in with production scheduled to start in July, consistent with Musk's statement last month.

We don't know anything about the specs on either model, but AWD was a $5,000 option on the Model S until it became standard (as it is on the Model X) late last year. Also, in his response to IGN's Ryan McCaffrey, Musk said air suspension could arrive as an option in 2019.

Tesla will enable orders end of next week for dual motor AWD & performance. Starting production of those in July. Air suspension prob next year.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 11, 2018

I need to upgrade mine

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2021... if you're lucky and Tesla can solve all their production and mounting management and capital problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
2021... if you're lucky and Tesla can solve all their production and mounting management and capital problems.

Capital problems are irrelevant - market cap is $50 bil and requirements are under $5 bil. SoftBank alone could fund them if needed.

Production is expected to hit 3500 vechicles a week soon.

Will be a nice car in time for my Tesla roof.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the story on the shingles, as well as the home battery?
Are people buying them or are they not commercially available yet?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
What is the story on the shingles, as well as the home battery?
Are people buying them or are they not commercially available yet?
Peter

Shingles are not.

When they come out and are feasible -sub $100k for my roof. I will do it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Capital problems are irrelevant - market cap is $50 bil and requirements are under $5 bil. SoftBank alone could fund them if needed.

Mike

Please let us know when Tesla hit 3500 vehicles per week. Let Elon know too as he hasn't a clue when this is going to happen. Based on the current shakeup, no one seems to know...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

Please let us know when Tesla hit 3500 vehicles per week. Let Elon know too as he hasn't a clue when this is going to happen. Based on the current shakeup, no one seems to know...

https://www.barrons.com/articl...ion-rises-1526392031

I don’t have access to Elon Musk.

It it is a public stock with plenty of borrow available at expensive short rebate. Can always short it if one has a margin account. Join the other thousands of shorts in the name.

I just waiting for a damn good car.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope they get it sorted. Then we can worry about how to upgrade the US electrical grid to support the demands for Level 2 and Level 3 at home charging.

BTW - $100K buys a lot of electricity... What's the projected breakeven on that??? Are you sure that you are going to live that long???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope they get it sorted. Then we can worry about how to upgrade the US electrical grid to support the demands for Level 2 and Level 3 at home charging.

BTW - $100K buys a lot of electricity... What's the projected breakeven on that??? Are you sure that you are going to live that long???

Break even depends on discount rate used. Last time my bank was paying sub 100 bps for cash. So for my I could discount at my cash cost as it comes out of basically my cash holdings. Better than worthless double rifles I own.

My utility cost is between $500-$750 per month.

New roof cost $20-$30k. Subtract that from $100k.

Plus I would look different from all my neighbors. Be off the grid and save the earth at the same time.

Electrical grid issues are is a joke. Us power demand has gone no where is last 15 years as economy has growth from 12-17 trillion. Most electrical car charging is at night so no capacity issues. Plus electric cars are super energy efficient.

My tech savvy chemical engineering professor buddy has already moved to tesla solar panels. I will follow their lead and experience.

Mike