THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    2014 C7 Corvette w/ Z51 options - any thoughts?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 C7 Corvette w/ Z51 options - any thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
They almost got it right. The rear of the car SUCKS. Look for a change in 2015!!!

I agree.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at last, the Corvette they should have debuted...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wait until they unveil the new ZR-1. 700+ HP, 220 MPH, 0-60 in < 3 seconds and just awesome...it will set new track records, all of them! Euro super cars...beware. There's a new BOSS coming to town. Just what do you think the tuners are going to do with this beast? An easy 250 MPH car. Unprecedented! GM is sure turning around from a few years ago, how about it? They did an awesome job on the new 2014 Silverado PU's too. I too may just have to "pony"(sorry Ford guys)up for a new Z06 when they hit the lots. Yep, a bad-ass car if I ever did see one. Won't ever have a need for anything more than that.....won't be able to afford the speeding tickets Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Just wait until they unveil the new ZR-1. 700+ HP, 220 MPH, 0-60 in < 3 seconds and just awesome...it will set new track records, all of them! Euro super cars...beware. There's a new BOSS coming to town. Just what do you think the tuners are going to do with this beast? An easy 250 MPH car. Unprecedented! GM is sure turning around from a few years ago, how about it? They did an awesome job on the new 2014
Silverado PU's too. I too may just have to "pony"(sorry Ford guys)up for a new Z06 when they hit the lots. Yep, a bad-ass car if I ever did see one. Won't ever have a need for anything more than that.....won't be able to afford the speeding tickets Smiler

I'm sure it will be fast and dependable, 250MPH, No!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch...yes to 250 MPH. I stated "when the tuners get ahold of it". Hennessy has already hit 220 MPH with the "tuned" 2014 Stingray and the professional driver stated he had another easy 10 MPH left in it...but he ran out of road. Figure in another 245 HP to "tune with" on the ZR-1(not the 625hp 2015 Z06) and it will be a 250 MPH car. I saw the Hennessy video...and that tuned base 455hp 2014 Stingray was FAST! I am betting the tuners get the new ZR-1 close to 800 HP, if not more and with a 7 speed gearbox (manual) 250 MPH will come easy. Hennessy has been doing this kind of tuning for a long time and they know what it takes to maximize performance on a sports car.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just leased a GMC Seirra to check it out - unbelievably good job.

The new caynon looks very good too.

GM is doing the right things.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it will be interesting to see if the car actually makes it to dealers showrooms this calendar year.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2015 Z06 is a feature in the new Motor Trend...and what an awesome sportscar.....slated to out perform the ZR-1 in speed, power and track performance. It is drop dead gorgeous. Just wait until the NEW ZR-1 is ready. It ought to be a show-stopper. Well hell....does anyone really need more than what the 2015 Z06 is doling out? The power war continues....with the bowtie on top again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodie, Woodie, Woodie...

GMC has issued another fairytale. The Z06 is, as I type, now a projected "first quarter of 2115" product. The 'vettes you can buy during 2014 are all 455 or 460 horse.

That, will, put them down more than 200 horsepower to the 2115 Shelby GT500, which also comes with IRS.

The corvette is becoming, like the hapless Chicago Cubs, a "just wait 'til next year..." joke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, where did you get your info on the 2115 autos. Will Jag a wor even be around in 2115?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All is fact..the Z06 will be available in 2015 like I stated...look at it in Motor Trend. No fairytale Rich. The only thing unclear is the actual horsepower..will it be 625hp, which is where it currently is or can they squeak out an additional 15hp to 640hp? Besides, the Ford is going to be 700-800 lbs heavier and that takes up any HP advantage you state. Besides, the Ford ain't a sportscar...never was and never will be, so it ain't in the same class. Sub-par, if you will! And the Jag....another expensive and unreliable wanna-be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, and Woodie,

I get MT and Automobile both, in fact they came Friday in the mail. The key word on the 'vette story is planned.

all I can say is drop by the Jag a wor dealer, swipe your AMEX, and drive a 562 bhp XK-8R, coupe or convertible home. Not "sometime" in 2015, but February 24th of 2014. That is a piddling 100+ horsepower more than any new current year corvette you can buy at the chevy garage. Jaguar was building sports cars before looey chevrolet ever heard of OHV engines.

Or a 500HP F-type coupe or convertible which you can also purchase.

The technology may be a bit beyond your comprehension, it's called Double Overhead Camshafts and four valves per cylinder.

The corvettes latest claim to fame: like the Morgan it uses plywood in its construction.

take care,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
As I have posted before, if you buy a jag o wor, you will need to have an additional cat to drive while the jag o wor lives in the shop. I am not a Corvette person, but I wouldn't have a jag o wor if given to me.
Oh by the way, DOHC with 4 valves is old tech.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

not at chevrowlayyyyyyyyyyy.

The Jag was purchased in November of 2008. Been in for oil/filter changes, one coil pack replacement, and two sets of Pilot Sports tires. At 125,xxx miles, I am more than okay with that service record.

We all find Nirvana in the gap between what we want, and what our budget says is reasonable.

For me, the XK-8 convertible was the desired vehicle. It has been cast iron anvil reliable. It has made seven round trips to St Louis with no hiccups, provided uncounted hours of driving fun, and been clocked by the NHP at 159 mph. I am good to go with that.

I would upgrade to an Aventador roadster, but I am about $400,000 shy of the boot.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think GM missed the boat with this new Z06.
I have a buddy that has an old C6 Z06 with the 427. It will get 27 MPG @ 70 mph down the highway all day long with no cylinder deactivation.
If GM would have taken the 427 and have added VVT, direct injection, and raised the compression ratio to 12/1 they would have had a NA motor with +550HP with a super flat torque curve with the throttle response only a NA motor will have and likely 2X-3X the life of a Forced Induction motor.
Still praying they may offer a new GS version of the vette with this motor concept (Like the LT-1).
I really like the "old tech" push rod motors with modern tweaks (VVT & DI). They are more durable, lighter weight, and get better fuel economy than smaller displacement DOHC variants, have a lower center of gravity and less expensive to manufacturer. Add some light weight titanium components and they are good to 7000 RPM reliably.
BTW; I have a BMW Z4M that is all tech but without direct injection. Great little 3.2 motor that revs to 8K and has more than 100 HP/liter but only gets 23 MPG on the highway. A 7.0 liter Vette gets better MPG and will blow my little beemer away. Beemer is awfully fun to drive though!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, 159mph...you're kidding. My 2001 Vette ragtop does that with zero effort. 350hp factory engine with another 40 or so with some go fast goodies. At first I thought all the girls were eyeballing the vette..but then realized it was all me Smiler