THE ACCURATE RELOADING CLASSIC AND SPORTS CAR FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classic And Sports Cars    2014 C7 Corvette w/ Z51 options - any thoughts?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 C7 Corvette w/ Z51 options - any thoughts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I thought maybe so. They de-tuned the convertable 2014 GT500 from 662 to whatever "more than 450" means because the ragtop can't take the torque minus the support of the steel roof without a butt-load of extra chassi steel.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I meant the new Corvettes. The 2013 Shelby GT 500 has 662 HP from its Supercharged 5.8 Litre V8.
4-cam engine.

GM showed us how "world class" the new 'vette is by retaining an OHV pushrod engine. Leading the world in that engine configuration.

Maybe the new 2014 Corvettes are not that high yet but they will be in a year or two. The 2013's are already there. You can still buy a new 2013 rag top with the 427 that has 505 hp. Or if that is not enough buy the ZR1 which has about 630 hp.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6607 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The local Ford garage has a 2014 Shelby. The window sticker says 662 HP. The dealer unloaded one last week that had been back to Shelby for the 850 HP conversion.

The HP option on the corvette says 460 HP.
Convertible version, only in your dreams.

It's like pissing your pants wearing black levis'. You get a warm kind of feeling, but nobody else sees anything wrong.

This is the first year since 1979 that I went to the Chevy dealer to see the new 'vette that they did not have a car front and center, in the showroom.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone can make big HP. Compression, cams and boost of some sort - bolt on parts. Not everyone can compete with the with the Corvette chassis. You can't bolt on a CG.

quote:
The local Ford garage has a 2014 Shelby. The window sticker says 662 HP. The dealer unloaded one last week that had been back to Shelby for the 850 HP conversion.

It's like pissing your pants wearing black levis'. You get a warm kind of feeling, but nobody else sees anything wrong.

This is the first year since 1979 that I went to the Chevy dealer to see the new 'vette that they did not have a car front and center, in the showroom.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

2013 427 C6 Corvette convertible, 505 factory hp.

http://www.chevrolet.com/2013-...ible-sports-car.html

HP is simply a number and is for bragging rights only. Even with "only" 436 HP in my Grand Sport C6 it is seriously hard to get traction in first or second gear with the stock rear tires that are almost 13 inches wide.
There are more than enough cars on the market to keep people happy. You like Jags, some guys like Vets, others like Mustangs.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6607 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned quite a few HIGH TECH DOHC european cars. They run great but are large, heavy and get good to poor fuel economy.
Neat thing about the old push rod engines is that they are light, compact, reliable, and get good gas mileage.
Now I know sports cars were never meant to be practical however reliability and gas mileage never hurt.
I think in a year or so we will see a Chevy 427 small block motor in the C7 with direct injection, higher compression and VVT that will reach +550 HP and +500 lb ft of flat broad torque and get 30 MPG on the highway and run 200 MPH without any type of blower.
That capability is beyond the means of 99.99% of the driving public.
That is the car I would not mind adding to my garage.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is not much of a stretch.
The 97 Chevy DOHC Z-34 motor was only 207 CID and produced 210 HP with no blower and regular fuel. That is with now old technology.
With a DOHC, VVT and high compression a 400 inch engine should get close to 500 HP and no blower but they have to turn a lot of RPMS to do that. The push rod motors are going the way of the dodo for high performance.

quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I have owned quite a few HIGH TECH DOHC european cars. They run great but are large, heavy and get good to poor fuel economy.
Neat thing about the old push rod engines is that they are light, compact, reliable, and get good gas mileage.
Now I know sports cars were never meant to be practical however reliability and gas mileage never hurt.
I think in a year or so we will see a Chevy 427 small block motor in the C7 with direct injection, higher compression and VVT that will reach +550 HP and +500 lb ft of flat broad torque and get 30 MPG on the highway and run 200 MPH without any type of blower.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2014 XKR-S coupe or convertible. 5.0 litre 4-cam V-8, 552 BHP. You can buy one now.

Or the baby Jag, F-type. Same motor, but only 496BHP.

It is a delicious feeling to have these choices...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2013 Corvette Grand Sport was loaded with every option. 436 HP, zero to 60 in 4 seconds, with good tires and a proper launch it will do the quarter in 12 flat and top speed is about 190. Road trip from Colorado to Pittsburgh and back in August netted 25-27 mpg while running 80 mph. Pretty nice combination for $59K and full coverage insurance is $400 every six months. $8,000 will add an Eldebrock super charger that adds about 150 HP to the rear wheels.
Dealer offered 15% off MSRP as they were trying to sell as many as they could to get more allocations for the 2014.

The 2014 Corvette sure looks nice but I am old school and like the last C6 had all the bugs worked on and is on a bullet proof platform.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is how much performance do you need? Most of the current high performance sports cars today would be uncontrolable on a wet road without some sort of traction control system. I have driven a 427 Cobra kit car with over 500HP that weighed 2300 lbs. It was ridiculous..
I have a 2006 BMW Z4M (3.2 liter/330 HP)that will walk all over a friends vintage Ferrari 365 GTB4 Daytona that was the darling of performance in the muscle car era. It is a very fun car to drive but hardly a monster by today's standards.
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
The 97 Chevy DOHC Z-34 motor was only 207 CID and produced 210 HP with no blower and regular fuel. That is with now old technology.
With a DOHC, VVT and high compression a 400 inch engine should get close to 500 HP and no blower but they have to turn a lot of RPMS to do that. The push rod motors are going the way of the dodo for high performance.

quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly do not need 500 HP.
I am also not to eager to have a turbo or two on any street driven car.

quote:
My question is how much performance do you need? Most of the current high performance sports cars today would be uncontrolable on a wet road without some sort of traction control system. I have driven a 427 Cobra kit car with over 500HP that weighed 2300 lbs. It was ridiculous..
I have a 2006 BMW Z4M (3.2 liter/330 HP)that will walk all over a friends vintage Ferrari 365 GTB4 Daytona that was the darling of performance in the muscle car era. It is a very fun car to drive but hardly a monster by today's standards.
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are you so obsessed with Jags.
There are plenty of faster cars that would be more interesting to own.

quote:
2014 XKR-S coupe or convertible. 5.0 litre 4-cam V-8, 552 BHP. You can buy one now.

Or the baby Jag, F-type. Same motor, but only 496BHP.

It is a delicious feeling to have these choices...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are, but the ones I'd like to own all say Lamborghini or Ferrari on the title.

In 1962 the original XK-E coupe.convertible was introduced. Enzo Ferrari said it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen. I agree.

My XK-8 convertible has the same flowing lines. It will break the back tires loose under acceleration, stop on a dime, get 25mpg on the highway, and ladies of all ages turn their heads and smile when I drive by.

I am curious, what do you currently own that compares?

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Corvette nut and will most likely stay one until the day I die. IMO nothing else compares in it's price range and they draw compliments every time it is parked.
On my third one and never visited the dealership or mechanic for any of them of so far. But if I had to there are Chevy dealerships everywhere.
Neighbor just ended his fun with Ferrari's as he was spending a fortune on maintenance. He told me over the years he estimated he paid about a $1 per mile just to maintain them.
Smart man, he bought a 2013 Corvette ZR1 about 6 months ago and he is happy as a pig in a poke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a very true post. Most folks who buy expensive sports cars keep them for 20-30,000 and sell them prior to maintenance setting in. Most Ferrari type owners hardly use them as daily drivers. I had a SL 63 and XKR Portfolio which were both great cars (weekend drivers) but do not ask what a brake job costs on those babies...
Did you know the tires on a Bugatti Veyhron cost $25K and last 6000 miles!! and you have to ship the car to only a few US locations to have them mounted and balanced. Geez!
I have 3 sports cars or GT's however you want to catagorize them and my wife a SL 550. My DD is a Ford F150 4 door 4X4 ecoboost. We drive that truck 4X as much as all the other cars combined.
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I am a Corvette nut and will most likely stay one until the day I die. IMO nothing else compares in it's price range and they draw compliments every time it is parked.
On my third one and never visited the dealership or mechanic for any of them of so far. But if I had to there are Chevy dealerships everywhere.
Neighbor just ended his fun with Ferrari's as he was spending a fortune on maintenance. He told me over the years he estimated he paid about a $1 per mile just to maintain them.
Smart man, he bought a 2013 Corvette ZR1 about 6 months ago and he is happy as a pig in a poke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 99 Mustang Cobra Convertible.
320 HP rated to 150 MPH. It has a near track chassis with IRS and 13" front rotors. It will also get 26 MPG. And is easy to take care of, will last a long time and when I sell it, it will be worth more than what I paid for it.

I have seen the Lambo and Ferrarri factories. They are second rate compared to Maserati's factory so good luck with their stuff.

BTW don't kid yourself about the ladies. Many cannot tell style from substance.

quote:
there are, but the ones I'd like to own all say Lamborghini or Ferrari on the title.

In 1962 the original XK-E coupe.convertible was introduced. Enzo Ferrari said it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen. I agree.

My XK-8 convertible has the same flowing lines. It will break the back tires loose under acceleration, stop on a dime, get 25mpg on the highway, and ladies of all ages turn their heads and smile when I drive by.

I am curious, what do you currently own that compares?

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My DD is a Mitsubishi Lancer. Rich, I have had a lot of friends and family that had had had, did I say had Jags. They all had to have an additional car to drive when the Jag was in the shop. Hope you don't have that problem.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My DD is the Jag. In good weather, that is. That or the HD.

The last five years it has taken me to StL every year and back. I'm pushing 125,000 miles on the car.

I guess I got a good one, it sees the dealership mostly for oil changes and alignment. Costco has the best price on Pilot Sports, but they don't have an alignment rack.

This time of year, both go into semi-hibernation.

The Idaho cold weather DD is the Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Part of the appeal is the exclusivity factor. I don't see twenty or thirty every day, like I do corvettes. They're like belly buttons, seems as if everybody has one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never seen any reason to worry about what other people are driving. Buy the car you enjoy the most and can afford and forget the exclusivity factor. If you see 20-30 Corvettes every day there is a reason for itSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolve,
You are correct!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote