Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
How many custom Mausers have you built?

I guess you never noticed that sticky at the top of this forum for the last 3 years.
I build receivers, including mauser receivers from 4140 bar stock, commercially heat treated to 36Rc and then machined in that hardened state, about 150ksi yield strength.

You polish up receivers someone else made of steel with less strength then the cheapest Chinese grade 2 bolt out of the hardware store bulk bin.
Then call yourself "gunmaker". LOL

I have zero fear of SAAMI proof loads and would enjoy proofing my receivers if I could find them, just like most US manufacturers do, or did.

Anyway, after 10 years of meth night at the Alzheimer center, with zero content of substance, unfocused topics and worshipping of the butter soft steel it is time for me to shove off for Speerchucker Island.

So bye! Cool

Young feller, have you used or seen the Ti Mauser receivers or full rifles that Stu Satterlie or James Anderson made? They are way above your class.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, after 10 years of meth night at the Alzheimer center, with zero content of substance, unfocused topics and worshipping of the butter soft steel it is time for me to shove off for Speerchucker Island.

A comment that sums up the arrogance and toxic disrespect for anyone that doesn't agree with his paranoid ranting about Mauser metallurgy.

And to somehow compare himself with Speerchucker, laughable. Speerchucker actually meant well with everything he posted.

Doug's motives were different, he was trying to convince every Mauser owner on here to rush off and buy one of his homemade receivers.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
We all know what Speerchucker does for a living and he was willing to share his incredible wealth of wisdom in his field of expertise with every single person around the world that has internet access.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1849 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
So I bought a Chilean from the Hensley's that was turned to a small ring. I chambered it in 250 Savage. Is it going to be a bomb? I've hunted it a couple times and it shoots great.

I was wrong, it was a Peruvian and I had G33/40 cuts on the LH side of the receiver.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...791012121#7791012121

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
A comment that sums up the arrogance and toxic disrespect for anyone that doesn't agree with his paranoid ranting about Mauser metallurgy.

And to somehow compare himself with Speerchucker, laughable. Speerchucker actually meant well with everything he posted.

Doug's motives were different, he was trying to convince every Mauser owner on here to rush off and buy one of his homemade receivers.

^More projecting and dishonest jackassery.
I have no desire to be a gunsmith, or manufacturer, or sell any gun product to anyone, nor take on the liability.

From a thread when asked if I wanted to sell a Rem broached blank,
Well to be honest, I don't think I would make any money with my old manual machines and process. If I sold a blank for $150 I would probably net $20/hr. lol
More likely is I will make up 10-12 for myself and sell off all the broaches, reamers etc and someone else can go in the biz or make what they want and pass it on.

I never compared myself to SC (if you could read), I implied I was leaving for the same reasons.

However, SC and I are on the same page when it comes to mauser metallurgy and heat treatment.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Actually, anyone who thinks that the old military actions of 100 years ago, made of questionable steel, guess-and-by-color heat treating and single stage manufacture are better than the clones coming out of the plants like Norinco which are made with modern steel on CNC equipment. Well you guys are just fooling yourselves. Yes the stuff of old was good in its day and often cleaned up a lot nicer than the 240 belt finish that the Chinese leave on the exposed surfaces. As far as strength and tolerances go, modern manufacture wins hands down. There is an old saying: "No mater how much you polish a turd. It's still a turd!"

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/5811005302/p/3

animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by metal:

^More projecting and dishonest jackassery.
I have no desire to be a gunsmith, or manufacturer, or sell any gun product to anyone, nor take on the liability.

From a thread when asked if I wanted to sell a Rem broached blank,
Well to be honest, I don't think I would make any money with my old manual machines and process. If I sold a blank for $150 I would probably net $20/hr. lol
More likely is I will make up 10-12 for myself and sell off all the broaches, reamers etc and someone else can go in the biz or make what they want and pass it on.

SC and I are on the same page when it comes to mauser metallurgy and heat treatment.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Actually, anyone who thinks that the old military actions of 100 years ago, made of questionable steel, guess-and-by-color heat treating and single stage manufacture are better than the clones coming out of the plants like Norinco which are made with modern steel on CNC equipment. Well you guys are just fooling yourselves. Yes the stuff of old was good in its day and often cleaned up a lot nicer than the 240 belt finish that the Chinese leave on the exposed surfaces. As far as strength and tolerances go, modern manufacture wins hands down. There is an old saying: "No mater how much you polish a turd. It's still a turd!"

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/5811005302/p/3

Does that qualify you to be able to carry Speerchucker's jock strap> I think not!

animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Doug, I was starting to miss you. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
chicken little gotta have the last word popcorn

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1849 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Thanks for quoting that so I get to see it. It gave me a good chuckle.

Anyone that argues that they’d rather take a Chinese Mauser action over an old one is ignorant to several issues, or there standards are extremely low.

In the case of Speerchucker, I would much rather have a receiver, of questionable heat treat, with correct geometry, than one of those POS with questionable heat treat, terrible geometry, and horrible finish.

I can correct the heat treat without too much trouble. I cannot weld and recut all the necessary surfaces on one of those junk actions with the same amount of work.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see at least ten pages! Seriously, how long do you have to post posts like this before you're allowed to post pics? Maybe I'm missing something but this ancient format I'm too modern for. I'm having a flashback that I cannot connect with...as in posting X times stupid things to gain some sort of credibility in order to GASP! upload a pic?

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sign up and upload your photos to Postimage, then direct link them straight onto AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
I see at least ten pages! Seriously, how long do you have to post posts like this before you're allowed to post pics? Maybe I'm missing something but this ancient format I'm too modern for. I'm having a flashback that I cannot connect with...as in posting X times stupid things to gain some sort of credibility in order to GASP! upload a pic?

Did you receive my PM?

If you want email me your pictures and I will post them.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote