New
Find
Notify
Tools

Faux G33/40
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is pics of a Peruvian that has been made into a small ring and it is a small thread. Karl Kampfeld did the faux G33/40 cuts. It will become 250-3000.

I would like opinions on this build. It will be a little while before I get started on it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Looking good so far!

Keep us posted. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,
I understand and I will do that in a couple weeks. Do I need to decide an a trigger before fitting a 3pos safety?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...what's that big cut on the R. side of the ring?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I wanted to make sure it would eject a long loaded round. I was thinking 257 Roberts at the time. Probably not necessary, but I don't have any experience with that cartridge.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this small ring/small thread stack up against pressure? I'm thinking of the usual discussion that follows a post on the use of a pre-98 receiver with modern ammo- like in a Swede.

Beautiful work; thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Kurtz was small ring, and small tenon and it was used in 250-3000. I am not qualified to comment on what the max. you can use on this setup. I'm certainly not worried about it with the 250-3000. This one will be carburized or case case hardened after all the metal work is done.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Just wondering .. why start with a Peruvian instead of a lesser(cost) mauser.

I've seen a few turks turned to small ring.

rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackburn trigger sounds good. richj, I bought it from Trez Hensley and it was already a small ring and also had a great bolt with a nice looking bolt handle. It was done right and was cheaper than buying a receiver and having the work done.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I should have added.. It is very nice. good luck.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
How does this small ring/small thread stack up against pressure? I'm thinking of the usual discussion that follows a post on the use of a pre-98 receiver with modern ammo- like in a Swede.

Beautiful work; thanks.

Timan or someone once posted a strength comparison. IIRC LR/LT was not much stronger than SR/ST. But I often misremember.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much do folks typically remove from the left wall, or rather, what thickness usually remains?
It looks like KK went deeper than a typical G33/40.
Butch, sorry- but the way the front ring has been hacked into {ie; the RH porting} is a shocker .. shocker
..the reduction in ring dia. I dont have an issue with, If one cant find a good Mexican, grind a good Peruvian.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About .060.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch: No one else has asked..but there must have been some compelling reason to chop up a Peruvian...Was it trashed in some manner?

My first uncontrolled response was to bite a donut out of my shorts.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Butch: No one else has asked..but there must have been some compelling reason to chop up a Peruvian...Was it trashed in some manner?

My first uncontrolled response was to bite a donut out of my shorts.

I am not too fond of the notch in the receiver and the missing charger hump, but I thought the "small ring" treatment was a common upgrade an Peruvians.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to ask Trez Hensley. I bought it from him and I have done the G33/40 cut. The rest was done by some other person. It had the receiver ring reduced, the charger hump was gone, and the receiver was tapped when I bought it.
In spite of all that I believe that it will turn out to be a very nice rifle. Yes it will be recased.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks like a great example of what can be done to resurect an action that many would turn their nose up at because it was not "original". Great job!

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch: OK...that's compelling reason enough...save what you can!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one is a way off for further work. I have 3 in progress now and hope all of them are done soon after the first of the year. Other than caliber, I'm not sure which way I will go with it.
Thanks Butch

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Butch that's nice! I honestly don't think I would worry myself with the lightening cuts on the sides. They are a pain in the butt to bed, can't be seen once the rifle is finished and don't save enough weight to concern yourself with.

I look foward to seeing more pictures of this as it progresses.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Butch that's nice! I honestly don't think I would worry myself with the lightening cuts on the sides. They are a pain in the butt to bed, can't be seen once the rifle is finished and don't save enough weight to concern yourself with.

I look foward to seeing more pictures of this as it progresses.

Terry

Ditto.

I think some people get carried away with lightening rifles. About 15 years ago I was out on my mountain bike getting a little exercise on some local trails. I took a water break at a scenic overlook and struck up a conversation with a fellow biker. He was a "techie" (he in spandex, me in cotton canvas cargo pocket shorts to complete the picture) and felt compelled to talk about all the wizz-bang stuff on his overly expensive bike. His latest acquisition was a titanium seat post costing "X" dollars which he claimed saved him "Y" grams of weight.

He was in average condition, but certainly no competitive olympic athlete that might have actually benefited from such a miniscule savings to gain a competitive edge. I turned my water bottle over and squirted a shot on the ground and exclaimed that I had just saved the same amount of weight and didn't spend a dime. He just shook his head and rode off.

I'm sure he thought I was as much of an idiot as I thought he was...

P.S. Ditto also on "looks great" and "looking forward to seeing more pictures"!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was in average condition, but certainly no competitive olympic athlete that might have actually benefited from such a miniscule savings to gain a competitive edge. I turned my water bottle over and squirted a shot on the ground and exclaimed that I had just save the same amount of weight and didn't spend a dime. He just shook his head and rode off.

I'm sure he thought I was as much of an idiot as I thought he was...

Thank you, I like happy endings! Big Grin

Ditto... X2 on lightining cuts

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The G33/40 cuts were for my personal wants. It was not to lighten the package as it is nil and if I make the cuts that are under the stock line, it will be because I want them there, not for any lightness. It might end up with a very nice heavy walnut stock, who knows. This is the idea of building a custom, build what you want and if the rest of the crowd likes it, that's good but not why I build them. Don't you get tired of some of the cookie cutter customs?
Butch

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
The G33/40 cuts were for my personal wants. It was not to lighten the package as it is nil and if I make the cuts that are under the stock line, it will be because I want them there, not for any lightness. It might end up with a very nice heavy walnut stock, who knows. This is the idea of building a custom, build what you want and if the rest of the crowd likes it, that's good but not why I build them. Don't you get tired of some of the cookie cutter customs?
Butch

If you go to all that trouble I would do the cuts. I don't see any benefit except that you will have then done a faithful recreation of the G33/40. Without the cuts you will only have a cosmetic recreation. IMO

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the cuts do present a problem, if you don't feel like fooling around with clay there, bed the action in the white first, then put the cuts in the rails.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
merlinron,
I know what you are saying. I do a few glass stocks but learned my lesson that I am not a wood stock person. The wood stock rifles that I have are not bedded in glass. They are wood on metal. When this one is stocked with wood, I won't have to put putty in the cuts as I would if I did a glass stock.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Butch: I seems we have lost the meaning of "bedding" a barreled action!

Bedding means close wood to metal contact. Whereas "Glass bedding" means put some plastic between the wood and the metal????I don't get it!

Why not just "bed" it properly in the first place?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
You are very correct. If you look at the inletting and bedding on my wood stocks, you will see some very fine skill and a lot of hours work. Even I can pookie a glass stock.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the machining you had performed require re-heat treating the action?

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch,
right you are, and shame on my red face for assuming everyone glass-beds everything these days.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally think so as virtually the whole top of the receiver is below the case. With the front ring reduced, the charger hump removed and the G33/40 cuts leave very little case hardening.
Butch