New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 , 338-06 or 280 Rem. Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1944 made K98, it isn't polished much on the outside, but it is a very smooth action, and seems to be well heat treated, I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
GSF 1200: DITTO for my 1944 action. When I firt got my rechambered 8mm-06 Imp barreled action back from Harry McGowen, I had very little loading data other that some of P.O.Ackleys Data. I think old Parker liked them a little warm!!!! Any way, I took a couple of cases and started "workin" 'em up", one at a time I got to 62gr IMR 4064 with a 175gr sierra (right about at P. O.s listed max)when the "ol bolt handle got a bit stiff" I couldn't get enough IMR 4350 in the case with 200gr Partitions to notice any ill effects. I got to 65gr of 4350 with no pressure signs. That 4064 load was a doozy though. It sure did loosen the primer up! I wish I'd had a chronograph then. I have one now, but I'm not THAT interested in knowing what the velocity of THAT load is, but I'll bet it was "steppin out" All this didn't phase the ol' M98 though. It took ol' P. O.'s "PROOF" loads in stide. BTW I did all this at arms length down behind the barn. SAFETY FIRST YANO :

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-09-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action I worked on that was made in 44 was of styer production. I was helping a budy build a scout rifle from a commy captured 98k. We repaced the barrel with another german barrel that we shortend to 18 inchs. We also drilled and taped it for an apiture rear sight. The reciver had a very hard case but was soft on the inside just like thery are suposes to be.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1carbine:
The action I worked on that was made in 44 was of styer production. I was helping a budy build a scout rifle from a commy captured 98k. We repaced the barrel with another german barrel that we shortend to 18 inchs. We also drilled and taped it for an apiture rear sight. The reciver had a very hard case but was soft on the inside just like thery are suposes to be.
Ray

That's why they tend to "swell up" instead of BLOW UP when things go wrong!

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-10-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
jag! a side push pull trigger safety on a M98! GAG PUKE come on now THAT is sacrilege A 3 pos M70 type is the only way to go You did inadvertently make my point, "it is a wonderful rifle" I doubt if an "economy barrel from Midway will out perform a sound, German made, properly chambered military barrel. As for something wild, what could be wilder than an "8mm-06 Ackley Improved? Were talking NO LESS THAN 11 SYLLABLES HERE! I love it when someone comes up to me at the range and asks "Is that a .270 or what?" I just love to lay all them syllables on em. The puzzled look on their faces gets my "jollies" off

WC -- First off, I was merely offering other options and stating a fact, there is moreoptions out there out there.
I too, prefer m70 safties, Scout may not.
Hope the puke taste goes away soon!

I never SAID that a midway barrel would out shoot "a sound, German made, properly chambered military barrel". Bla, bla bla... Even a "cheap" midway barrel properly broke in the hands of a real shooter, would out shoot it hands down.

And this wildcat thing?? I would expect more from you, considering your screenname.
8mm-06imp is a pretty common WC, considering all of the old mausers out there. Again there are others out there...
450/358 Ackley
35 Ackley Mag.
458x2 american
etc..
Anyway, again I say I love the cal, just look around though, lots of choices..

JAG
(latest 458 Lott)

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAG:

WC -- First off, I was merely offering other options and stating a fact, there is moreoptions out there out there.
I too, prefer m70 safties, Scout may not.
Hope the puke taste goes away soon!

I never SAID that a midway barrel would out shoot "a sound, German made, properly chambered military barrel". Bla, bla bla... Even a "cheap" midway barrel properly broke in the hands of a real shooter, would out shoot it hands down.

And this wildcat thing?? I would expect more from you, considering your screenname.
8mm-06imp is a pretty common WC, considering all of the old mausers out there. Again there are others out there...
450/358 Ackley
35 Ackley Mag.
458x2 american
etc..
Anyway, again I say I love the cal, just look around though, lots of choices..

JAG
(latest 458 Lott)

jag: Gee, sorry I got your shorts in a knot. I thought the "smilies" might clue you in that some of this was meant to be taken as some "good natured" ribbing! As for all of those "exotic" wildcats you referenced, I don't claim to be an expert, just willing to share what I have learned in my so far limited ( but somewhat successful)experience, and I tried to make that clear in one of my posts. I think the 8mm-06 Imp. is plenty wild for a newcomer to wildcatting. As for the Midway barrel Bla, bla bla... I doubt if a "sporter" weight Adams and Bennet barrel would out shoot the military barrel as there are many respondents to this thread that have experienced great results with their "military" barrels once they started reloading and quit shooting the anemic crap that the American ammo makers are putting out. If $100 barrel would consistently shoot 1/2" groups every time, the premium barrel makers would be out of business. I'm not saying the Midway barrels are bad barrels, just that one should give a sound military barrel a shot before replacing it! If I offended you, I apologize, but I do think you need to LIGHTEN UP a little!

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a new Military barrel, that is a great way to go, I haven't tried a A&B barrel yet, but will give them a try. Had a guy tell me he used 5 in 5 calibers 22-250, thru 35 Whelen, and all 5 would group less than 1/2" for 3 shots at 100yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the snap... I really didnt mean to come across like that. Let me explain.
Both my father nad grandfather were gunsmiths my entire life and I have seen and shot a wide range of firarms. I have also seen things done right and astonishingly wrong. I have no doubt that you have great knowledge, and that you have the passion for firearms as most of us here do. I just wanted Scout to see that there are many choices out there. The 8mm-06imp is a great starter cat, but on the same note, it may be better for a first timer to go more moduler, plug-andplay if you will. Also in all of his posts I didnt read that he was a reloader, so ammo problem. (I know the other WC's would be a prob as well)
So new barrel, stock, mounts etc... have the barrel work done, bolt work done, and fairly easily put together a functionaly firearm. I have seen in the past people get discouraged at first and not finish a project or move on to something differant. So... Again sorry for the tude and thanks for the knowledge that you share with us here and in the other forums... Hope that we can continue to share and learn all that we can...

Aloha
JAG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jag, I had a big defense established, but all I am going to say, is those particular calibers are not Wal-Mart products. Oh, and K-mart no longer exists.

Education is the only firearm law that should exist on the books.
We would save a lot of trees if they would stop adding shi%. I think they just do it to say they did something when they were there. Or? Is there something else?

------------------

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scout:
Jag, I had a big defense established, but all I am going to say, is those particular calibers are not Wal-Mart products. Oh, and K-mart no longer exists.

Education is the only firearm law that should exist on the books.
We would save a lot of trees if they would stop adding shi%. I think they just do it to say they did something when they were there. Or? Is there something else?

Scout, What the hell are you talking about? Do you reload?
Or do you by your ammo @ Walmart??
Since k-mart no longer exists.

Good luck with your mauser.

A bit of advise; Find old military 06 to use as your 8mm-06 cases. Use ones that the headstamps do not reflect 30-06. for obvious reasons.

JAG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look Jag, Chill.... First, a 8mm-06 is not a factory load option. Nor is 338-06 at least not that I am aware of. Second, surplus brass is much thicker, So I would be required to use reduced loads. The primer is crimped, with the abundance of commercial brass at an affordable price, and larger case capacity. Plus I don�t own a 30-06 so I would not be mixing up my brass. So I would not be work harden the necks. But if I did, I would use two different brands to help me keep things straight.

SCOUT>>

The first rule of firearm safety is common sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scout,

There are more safety options than a Beuhler or a 3 position Model 70 type and those will cost you $150 and installation will set you back $75 or so. The 2 position, either PME or Chapman uses the original bolt shroud and will be considerably cheaper. There was a lot of thought that went into all of the parts of a 98 and the bolt shroud is one of them. I much prefer that over the model 70 types. I have installed them and the 2 positions and prefer the latter. Total cost on a 2 position will be in the $75 range, it is a sideswing like the 3 position.

It would not surprise me at all to see the Midway barrels outshoot the old Military barrels. I have not used them but have heard nothing but good reports about them. I don't know how long they will last and that is often more of a telling point with some products. They are all done with CNC and they don't cost much but those military ones didnt cost much either. The accuracy will be more in the care in installation and the final chamgering. You will not find a wildcat chamber at Midway though and am not even sure if they have 8mm barrels.

If it was me, I would not fiddle with the military barrel.

One more thing, don't think a barrel has to be replaced if it does not shoot a 1" group, that is so much crap. It is nice to have 1/2" or 1" accuracy but for most hunting situations you can do witha lot less. Consider one thing relative to this. On the bench a rifle shoots 1", off the bench standing the shooter shoots probably a 3 or 4" group. That doesnt mean it is 3 or 4 times the bench accuracy. It means his holding and shooting error is 2 or 3 inches added to the 1 inch from the bench. A 1 1/2" bench shooting rifle will then be shooting 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 versus 3 or 4. If you think you can shoot 1" groups using your day pack as a rest you are doing better than the rest of us. Just a point to get realistic about the accuracy needed.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, now that everyone has "vented" maybe we can all go have a beer Customstox/jag- My opinion on safeties: I would much rather have one that blocks the striker, be it Bueler, 2-pos or 3-pos. To switch to one that blocks the trigger mechanism would seem like a step backwards. Perhaps the reason I am waving the flag for the "military" barrels is the fact that there aren't any 8mm "bargain" barrels. These "bargain" barrels have to be chambered also, so the price isn't as cheap as it appears. I really like the 8MM bore, (as did P.O. Ackley) It is a shame that it has been neglected on this side of the pond. Bullet selection has improved, and as I've mentioned the weight range spans from 125grs to 250grs. That is a larger choice than the 7mm or the .338, and about the same as the .308 offerings. Granted, there are more choice in brands with the others but I think the bullet choice flap is not really valid anymore. Now, everybody play nice

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-10-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, I fired 5 consecutive 3 shot groups at 200yds, off my daypack with a M98 in 30-06, the largest group was .7", I had 2 whitness's, they were amazed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSF1200,
Who manufactured your barrel, did you have the rifle custom built, what trigger group did you use? These all are a vital part of groups. Oh was your daypack filled with sand?

Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a mystery barrel, I bought the rifle out of a pawn shop, it has a 4 groove barrel, with very wide lands, 24" long, with a 11deg target crown, it has a Timney featherweight trigger, and there was a jacket in my pack.

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Scout-- "chilled"
WC - "vented"

You have a good point about the mil brass, but not all of it is as you describe.

Anyway, good thread, lots of info....

Happy shooting all...

JAG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the 8mm-06 Ackley improved version has won here.

No barrel to buy, If it�s a good shooter.
We would be doing a rechamber any way.

Now it is time to address the recoil issues at hand.

What are we going to compare that one with?
And what are we going to tame that monster with?

Hmmmm..

SCOUT>>

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Scout just a quick note. Weatherby has factory ammo/rifles for the 338-06.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chic, I fired 5 consecutive 3 shot groups at 200yds, off my daypack with a M98 in 30-06, the largest group was .7", I had 2 whitness's, they were amazed.

So am I

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scout:
Looks like the 8mm-06 Ackley improved version has won here.

No barrel to buy, If it�s a good shooter.
We would be doing a rechamber any way.

Now it is time to address the recoil issues at hand.

What are we going to compare that one with?
And what are we going to tame that monster with?

Hmmmm..

SCOUT>>

Comparing recoil of a given rifle is a tricky thing as stock geometry has a lot (everything actually) to do with how that recoil is transmitted to the shoulder. (or checkbone in a stock with a lot of drop. My 8mm-06 Imp doesn't seem to recoil any more than my 7mm-08 M700 Mountain Rifle with hot loads, but we are talking about 1/2# difference in rifle weight, and some subtle differences in stock geometry plus the 8mm-06 Imp is fitted with a 1" Pachmeyer "Decelerator" pad, an excellent recoil dampener. I would compare the 8mm-06 Imp with a 30-06 that is using similar or perhaps slightly lighter bullet weights. Pay attention to the STOCK GEOMETRY! You want a comb that has very little drop @ the heel compared to the comb, perhaps less drop @ the heel. This will keep the rifle from driving the comb into your cheek with recoil. A little cast off helps to direct the recoil away from the face also. It,s all a matter of applied physics. The weight of the projectile, muzzle blast, the weight of the rifle etc. will determine "free recoil". The stock geometry, recoil pad etc. will determine how that recoil is transmitted to the body.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-12-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comparing recoil of a given rifle is a tricky thing as stock geometry has a lot (everything actually) to do with how that recoil is transmitted to the shoulder. (or checkbone in a stock with a lot of drop) My 8mm-06 Imp doesn't seem to recoil any more than my 7mm-08 M700 Mountain Rifle with hot loads, but we are talking about 1/2# difference in rifle weight, and some subtle differences in stock geometry plus the 8mm-06 Imp is fitted with a 1" Pachmeyer "Decelerator" pad, an excellent recoil dampener. I would compare the 8mm-06 Imp with a 30-06 that is using similar or perhaps slightly lighter bullet weights. Pay attention to the STOCK GEOMETRY! You want a comb that has very little drop @ the heel compared to the comb, perhaps less drop @ the heel. This will keep the rifle from driving the comb into your cheek with recoil. A little cast off helps to direct the recoil away from the face also. It,s all a matter of applied physics. The weight of the projectile, muzzle blast, the weight of the rifle etc. will determine "free recoil". The stock geometry, recoil pad etc. will determine how that recoil is transmitted to the body.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One word from the homeland of the 8 x 57 M/88: if you wish to rechamber your 8x57 (no objective need visible, unless your throat is badly eroded), feel free to play with it :-), but DON'T (*D*O* *N*O*T*) choose the 8mm-06, that would just be plain unreasonable.
Use a factory cartridge like the 8 x 60 S or 8 x 64 S (the latter one being more potent and having also cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo besides the ultraexpensive "Original Brenneke" available).

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To stir it up a little more,I would rechamber to 8mm.Gibbs,assuming you have at least 25" of barrel.I have a '98 so chambered and it is a great round.It seems to outperform most 30cal. wildcats with heavy bullets. I have shot bears,moose and elk with mine with good results.I made my own magazine box so it is possible to seat bullets out,also I left the steps in the bbl. to keep from getting it too thin.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:
One word from the homeland of the 8 x 57 M/88: if you wish to rechamber your 8x57 (no objective need visible, unless your throat is badly eroded), feel free to play with it :-), but DON'T (*D*O* *N*O*T*) choose the 8mm-06, that would just be plain unreasonable.
Use a factory cartridge like the 8 x 60 S or 8 x 64 S (the latter one being more potent and having also cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo besides the ultraexpensive "Original Brenneke" available).

Carcano

THESE CATRIDGES MAY SEEM PRACTICAL TO YOU AS YOU LIVE IN GERMANY. ONE WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND ANY OF THOSE CHAMBERINGS IN THE AVERAGE (oops caps lock on, sorry) American "Gun Shop". Any well stocked American "Gun Shop" would have 30-06 brass in stock, or available in 2 or 3 days from any distributor. As this is after all a "Reloading" forum, I would think the 8mm-06 would be a very viable option for an American (reloading) shooter.

Again this is not meant to be critical, just wanted to point something out that may not be obvious to you as you are not familiar with American shooting customs. By the way, the 8mm-06 is the balistic twin to the 8X64s when loaded to the same pressure.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-28-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
THESE CATRIDGES MAY SEEM PRACTICAL TO YOU AS YOU LIVE IN GERMANY. ONE WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND ANY OF THOSE CHAMBERINGS IN THE AVERAGE

But you are mistaking the argument. It is a wildcat anyhow, the 8mm-06. So, rather use a cartridge that at least *has* a second option of available factory brass (besides reforming existing cases) than one wildcat than is _purely and entirely_ a case-forming affair.

Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to side with WJ on this one. Finding European cartridges is difficult enough on this side of the pond. Finding obscure ones is worse. Much, much easier to roll your own. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Car, I looked in to the possibilities of doing this for the sake of what if. I could find no dies, brass large enough; I could not find the sizes either. I did find a Bren in 7mm, it seemed smaller then the 06. I did wonder about the poss. of using 280 Remington brass for the size factor. But please remember, I am just a baby in this wild world of hotrod wildcats.... I am sure we would all listen to your steps, and teachings for the pleasure of learning. At least I would I find I learn something from every one here no matter what��

Scout�.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
I have to side with WJ on this one.

Please kindly see my posting immediately preceding yours for a demonstration which your argument as such is flawed (performance-wise, the 8mm-06 is as good as the 8 x 64 S and neither is much superior to the 8 x 57 IS).
If you have the choice between a cartridge that is a pure wildcat only, and one that can both be re-formed from several other brass if you like tinkering, *and* can be had as a factory cartridge too, the latter one is always the more sensible option if the performance is about equal - as it is here.

Sincerely,
Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 01-28-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
carcano 91: Please try to realize that I am aware that the 8x57 Mauser is a potent chambering when loaded to "European" performance levels. If what I have been lead to believe is correct, the 8x57 JS is the "30-06 of Europe"
It has become somewhat difficult in recent years to even find 8x57 ammo in American gun shops, and even when one does find any, it is the anemic SHIT that corporate (lawyer run) America finds fit to pawn off on the American public. These loadings propel a 170gr (round nose at that) bullet in the 2300fps range. That is pathetic, but that is what you are dealing with on this side of the pond. It would not make any sense whatsoever to chamber a rifle in 8X64 over here as brass would be dificult to get, and forget about finding a box of factory ammo on the shelf! So, we are right back to a strictly reloading proposition, with a cartridge that does not have brass redily available no less. (in the United States) Where is the advantage to that?
All that is required to "form" 8mm-06 brass is one pass through the sizing die and viola, 8mm-06 brass, not a difficult operation PERIOD!
I'm beginning to see the truth in the old saying. "You can tell a German, but you can't tell em much" I am allowed to sat this as I am of German decent

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has become somewhat difficult in recent years to even find 8x57 ammo in American gun shops, and even when one does find any, it is the anemic SHIT that corporate (lawyer run) America finds fit to pawn off on the American public. These loadings propel a 170gr (round nose at that) bullet in the 2300fps range.

Quite true. However, you were speaking about reloaded cartridges in the first places, so the weakly loaded amphibious US "8mm mauser" factory cartridges are not an issue. I admit that the 8x60 and 8x64 do offer a slightly flatter trajectory - as does the 8mm-06 - but for real long shots, one will either choose a 8 x 68 S, a 8mm Remington Magnum or one of the more common .300 and .375 cartridges.

quote:
So, we are right back to a strictly reloading proposition, with a cartridge that does not have brass redily available no less. (in the United States) Where is the advantage to that?

The advantage is that you can choose whether you reform existing brass or use new factory cases. You can even use factory ammo. You do not have either choice with a 8mm-06.

quote:
All that is required to "form" 8mm-06 brass is one pass through the sizing die and viola, 8mm-06 brass, not a difficult operation PERIOD!

All that is required to make 8x60 or 8x64 ammo, if one does not want to use factory cases (all mail-orderable conveniently without any difficulty), is to use a plethora of existing and common once-fired cases and run them through a sizing die.
One does not even need to trim the case for the 8x64. Apart from the 7x64, .270 and .280 as bases, the .30-06 and the .35 Whelen are the common basic bases for making a perfectly serviceable 8x64.

Sincerely,
Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 01-29-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano,
one thing to remember is that there is no more effert in making 8mm-06 then in reloading factory 8x64 cases. All it takes to make 8mm-06 is to run an 06 case into a full length sizing die. Another thing to remember is that if there are no resonable 8x64 cases commercialy avaiable over here, so there is no difference between making 8x64 then making 8mm-06. You still have to make the cases no matter what the name. Another thing is that 8mm-06 has a history over here and 8x64 realy dosen't.

But, the most inportant thing is that over here 8x64 is just as much of a wildcat as 8mm-06. If you have to make it, you have to make it. Over here we don't have all of the euro 8mm's avalible.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
one thing to remember is that there is no more effert in making 8mm-06 then in reloading factory 8x64 cases. All it takes to make 8mm-06 is to run an 06 case into a full length sizing die. Another thing to remember is that if there are no resonable 8x64 cases commercially available over here,

I am afraid I have some difficulty understanding your reasoning; or it is just incorrect:

http://www.sb-usa.com/distrib.html

quote:
so there is no difference between making 8x64 then making 8mm-06.

The difference is that in both instances you can easily convert existing brass, but in case of the 8x64, you have the additional option of using two different loads of accessible Sellier & Bellot factory ammo, which the 8mm-06 does not offer. And at a price (15 to 20 bucks per box of twenty) which is not higher than for many domestic cartridges.

Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 01-29-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Argueing with a German is like wrestling with a pig.

All you get is hot, dirty, sweaty and smelly.

Eventually you realize that the pig enjoys it!

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-29-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wildcat junky,
I'm part Germen. Hense my good tast in guns.

Carcano,
You still have to remember that even though we can get the ammo it is still not realy practical. You have to remember that just because a company make a particular round it dosen't mean that is is easy to find a distributer for it. Also, most of us or doing this hobbie on a limited amount of capital. Having to mail order ammo adds to the cost of it. And most people are going to reload anyway so there is no advatage to use in rechambering to 9x64. I have look at several reloading equipment manufatures web site and can't find a set of dies for 8x64.

Theres just is no advatage for us americans to chamber for the round.
Ray

[This message has been edited by m1carbine (edited 01-29-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Wildcat junky,
I'm part Germen. Hense my good tast in guns.

m1carbine: I too am of German heritage, hence I speak from personal experience on the "pig wraslin" subject

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-29-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Car, lets run a test here. Let us say, you had no 8x64s brass, it was run over by a tractor. The train that was carrying the shipment to your way out of the way town, burnt to the ground. You need to put food on the table. No food marts near by.
What brass would you use to make cartridges for your only hunting rifle?

In a sense, that is what has happened here in the United States.

The Mauser actions we are using will only accept a 30-06-length cartridge. Hence, no 8x68s or 8mm mag.

Scout.
I to have some German heritage on my mother�s side.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 01-29-2002).]

<auto>
posted
I have a Mauser that has been rechambered to 8mm X 06, and it does shoot tiny 5 shot groups. How tiny are they? About 5/8 inch. This mauser came with double set triggers, and if you haven't ever shot a gun with them, you really should. Some of my other Mausers have the very good "Timmney" trigger. The 8mmX06 is an easy conversion, and the new Nosler Bal. tip. bullets in 180 grain seem to shoot just great. My Mauser still has the steps in the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by auto:
My Mauser still has the steps in the barrel.

I wish mine still did. It soon will have them.

------------------