New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 , 338-06 or 280 Rem. Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't quit so soon fellas, this is fun...

If we could just rewind to resale value again for a second, these rifles in 8x64S seem to have held their value quite well!

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2302980
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2302921

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any 8mm-06 (or it's improved variants) for comparison. Anyone have a source?

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SamB:

If we could just rewind to resale value again for a second, these rifles in 8x64S seem to have held their value quite well!

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2302980
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2302921

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any 8mm-06 (or it's improved variants) for comparison. Anyone have a source?

Ahhhh Sam: Did you happen to notice the bid history? NO BIDS! If you want to establish value from an asking price, I'll list my 8mm-06 A.I. @ $2500!(fast forward to the next day) See they hold their value too

YOU ARE HAVING WAY TO MUCH FUN WITH THIS! Remember the pig "raslin" thing? You must have some German in you

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-02-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is this different than a rifle sitting on the rack in a gunshop? You've got to start the price somewhere. Going by the feedback of this seller, they've already had 40 happy customers (myself included), so their pricing can't be too bad. What reason do you have to doubt they'll sell these rifles?

PS. My ancestors were French, but I'm American.
PPS. Why do the French plant trees on both sides of the road? So the Germans can march in the shade.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is this different than a rifle sitting on the rack in a gunshop?

It isn't any different than a rifle SITTING on the rack in a gunshop! The key word is sitting. Is it different than sitting on a gunrack in "Boondocks U.S.A." definately! As I said they would both (8x64 or 8mm-06) gather dust. I doubt that one could get more than $150 for either of those rifles were I live. I'm not saying that they are not worth $500, they probably are to a collester, or someone with European taste in rifles. Would someone in the "North Country" pay $500 for a rifle chambered in an unknown (to them)caliber when they could buy a M700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06 (or 270, 280, 308 etc etc) for $550? I doubt it!

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scout:

Car, Here is a nother post asking again.

Absolutely not. That was not a question. It was a trifling complaint about a condition that does not exist. If you want to ask a question, please do feel at all means invited to ask it. There is a high chance that a response to your inquiry would come forth, given that you already got an answer once.

But kindly stop whining rhetorically (like, e.g.: "I can't find brass nor ammo for my .275 Rigby rifle - WAAAAAAH !!!"; so much for the lighter side of it :-) ); inquiring and asking would plainly suffice, and would help you more.

Regards,
Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 02-02-2002).]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If we could just rewind to resale value again for a second,

In a way, it is indeed interesting: all those Arisakas in original 6,5mm and 7,7mm have gained much interest (and a consequent price increase) in the last years.
Whereas the many post-war converted Arisaka "sporters", chambered for 6,5-257 and other ever so popular wildcats, still lean in gunshops' back corners, gathering dust.

Carcano

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car, lets run a test here. Let us say, you had no 8x64s brass, it was run over by a tractor. The train that was carrying the shipment to your way out of the way town, burnt to the ground. You need to put food on the table. No food marts near by.

What brass would you use to make
cartridges for your only hunting rifle?

In a sense, that is what has happened here in the United States.

The Mauser actions we are using will only accept a 30-06-length cartridge. Hence, no 8x68s or 8mm mag.

Scout.
I to have some German heritage on my mother�s side.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 01-29-2002).]

Car, I asked:
What brass would you use to make
cartridges for your only hunting rifle?
[/QUOTE]

Car, I also feel I have been overly nice, you have obviously mistaken that for weakness.... I am done being polite. In fact I am done with you. I wish I had been blunt like wildcat. Why don�t you Go away, and practice falling down.
Scout... Ps... NOW I am rude..

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser Project started!

Picked up my donor action. The barrel is gritty, and looks like it is coming apart inside (Rough.) Glad I got that new one from back East. Thanks to wildcat for that one..

The entire rifle looks like it was dunked in comoline� Going to pick up a couple of cans of brake clean to wash this thing up�

The serial number suggests it is from Romanian decedents. The receiver looks strong, and shinny no rough finish. Only one blemish I can see so far. Tinny bit of pitting at wood. More of a peck� Bolt is serviceable, wish it was matching, that would have been cool� I could poss. Polish it up a little..

More later, Will except pointers as we go along.
Thanks�. Scout�

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 02-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scout, good for you! Keep us posted, and remember, we do this for fun, Ha-HA! Take care - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS... NOW I am rude..

Dear Scout, I am not doubting your ability to be rude. Neither am I doubting your capacity of ignoring the obvious.

What I am doubting, however, is your ability to ask, and secondly your ability to read what has been written already. You have just shown that you *still* are not able (or willing) to do so.
Now, alas I am far away. I cannot tenderly clutch your little paws and gently guide your fingers onto the mouse, and steer it onto a page number indication, such as to click on it. I can only point out in sober writing that your "question" (which was none, as you wrote it, but a rhetoric whining based on a non-existing situation) had already been answered days ago, namely on January 29th, at 1:18 hours. And if you were able to ask real, pertinent questions, I have little doubts that they *would* be answered eventually.

But I won't give up hope. :-)
Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 02-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay scout try a good thourgh cleaning of the barrel. Here is a link to a home made electro barrel cleaner. <http://www.storm.ca/~debin666/html/projects9.html>. I like to use carb cleaner for the first go round of decosmolineing. I get the cheap stuff for only $1.50 a can at the local parts store.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1, I pushed a bore brush and alot of patches, does not look good.... Did you here a fly in the room????

one of us
posted Hide Post
No I have 9 of the romanian/check rifles now. I just know from experance that most of these will have not so nice bores.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hm. i see your point. If your barrel is bad, re-reaming a chamber for a larger or longer case of course won't help. That means you'll have to rebarrel (reboring is not a feasible option here).
You can either take the cheap route, and use a very good or minty military 8 x 57 IS barrel (but then, it would be best left as it is, as BearClaw has very reasonably recommended in the parallel thread). Or you will use a new commercial barrel. In this case, I simply side with Ray Atkinson and his constantly repeated recommendation in many of our Accuratereloading fora: use the 9,3 x 62, and you'll have one of the best heavy-duty allround guns you can imagine, which will never let you down.

Regards,
Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is this different than a rifle sitting on the rack in a gunshop? You've got to start the price somewhere. Going by the feedback of this seller, they've already had 40 happy customers (myself included), so their pricing can't be too bad. What reason do you have to doubt they'll sell these rifles?

PS. My ancestors were French, but I'm American.
PPS. Why do the French plant trees on both sides of the road? So the Germans can march in the shade.

Hey Sam! Have you checked the 8x64s @ the auction? Still no bids.

Maybe the reason you can't find any 8mm-06s for sale is that nobody wants to sell the one they have

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
Hey Sam! Have you checked the 8x64s @ the auction? Still no bids.
Maybe the reason

The reason for the lack of bids is that both these guns on the auction block were utilitarian no-frills conversions from the outset, and are in a sorry condition now: "rode hard and put away wet."
*Shrug*

Carcano

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser project

I decided to clean the cosmoline out of the old wood stock, just to see what it looked like and maybe use it for testing and practice... OH MY WORD>>>>> I have been cleaning for a week.. I thought I had most of it removed, so I decided to heat it up a little... WHAT A MESS>>>>> It just keeps coming out of the pores..

QUESTION: How hard is it to hand insert a case into the bolt and extractor.. Removed or fitted under rails action removed... I tried an attempt to cycle a case, it feels like a jam to me. It is difficult to do this with the action removed from the stock.
I haven�t touched any thing (modified) it is how it came condition minus cosmoline and re-oiled...

QUESTION: What is the longest trigger guard assembly made, and where do I get it? (Referring to magazine well)

Scout�.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scout

have you considered a 9.3X62.

many off the shelf parts, ammazing how well the modification is going. and how little work on the action is needed. A friend and I are building two of them out of 8mm mausers.

I admit we have run across a bit trouble with brass. but it is a minor problem.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At this time, I am using a surplus barrel. 8mm to start out with.. Learning

Scout....

one of us
posted Hide Post
The longest 98 type box magazines that I am aware of are the commercial ones that are set up for 300 H & H or 375 H & H rounds. They're a little pricey, but they will do the trick. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scout... I ran into exactly the same stock condition on the Turkington '06 I made. I do have a nice new stock to put on it, but meanwhile am using the cut down military one. Turns out that the particular stock I have was boiled in linseed oil, and it permeates the stock completely. I got crafty, and slapped some oven cleaner on it. Oven cleaner turns oil into soap. Gave the surface a nice chocolate brown finish, with no apparent old oil, so I slapped on some modern stain. Looked great for about two weeks, then the old linseed oil resurfaced. There is no way to get all the old linseed out, and it does smell bad. One guy I know cleans them with gasoline, and then applies crinkle black Krylon paint. Looks like a synthetic stock, and apparently solves the problem. He lets it dry for about a week, next to the furnace.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gasoline soaked stock next to the furnace! No thanks!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSF...

Actually, he lets the gasoline evaporate before painting. It is so hard to get paint to stick to gasoline.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working in some paint thinner, and little sanding sponge at the same time.. I have some interesting colors coming up..

I was thinking of using some light and dark gray colors to make a cammo look if I cant get this cleaned..

Scout...

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want good informationon getting 60 year old gun oil out of a stock go to this place http://pub42.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm34 . Personaly I have found that a a realy hot bath withagoo cleaner in it will leach out a fare amount of the oil. You do have to let the stock dry afterwords but it has worked well for me.
ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
*&&#**#@ Tried to hard to get the oils out, now I have a small crack behind the rear action screw..... I guess I will fill it with apoxy and start cuting and painting...

Scout...

one of us
posted Hide Post
How big is the crack?
Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
*&&#**#@ Tried to hard to get the oils out, now I have a small crack behind the rear action screw..... I guess I will fill it with apoxy and start cuting and painting...

Scout...

If it is a small crack, use some medium "CA", if it is larger, mix up some accraglass, dye it brown and use a hairdryer to help it penetrate the crack. That will also speed up setting. The dyed accraglass will look like wood grain.

One of the best ways to remove (excess) lindseed oil is with turpintine and steelwool. I wouldn't try to remove it all (that is next to impossible) as leaving some will give you a finish that is in the wood instead of on top of it. After several scrubbings with turpintine you can rub in some "Linspeed" or other "Boiled" linseed oil finish. I did this with a CMP M1 Garand and it came out beautiful albeit in a used, antique looking way.

------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crack is small, top starting from rear action screw. It is no wider than a sixteenth of an inch. about three quarters long, maybe not real deep. I am figuring one quarter inch deep.
Did some fitting for more comfort too...
I will fix it when I glass bed the action.. You know I don�t know why I am doing all this to a stock like this, other than cause it is there.... I know the modifications I did to the stock will upset a few of you, but it was not a restorable donor. I will post some pics soon. I should have taken some before, but I get to antsy.
I went to my favorite Big Five today looking for my next project... Think I am going to make one of those 8x68s one day... need to make sure I have a good donor...

Look what you guys got me doing, I hope there is no cure!!

Scout...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I the browneel's kink there was a tip of using acraglass and getting it into the crack with an air compresser. The directions whent something like; mix some bedding up , put it on the crack, use air compresser to blow it into crack, wipe any extra off, set a side to cure. Then he said to spend the next four hour cleaning the acraglass out of you clothing and to clean it of the walls and floor and any furnature in the room.

I would fill the crack with acraglass. Then i would wipe any extra off. Next, I would steam both sides of the crack with an iron so that the would expands. this should theoredicly make the wood clase the crack and then the acraglass would glue it shut. But if you just arn't worred about it then just fill it up when you bead the rifle and then sand and paint the stock. It would look like a synthic stock then. You cloud also use bond and fiberglass to remodel the stock so it look more like a sporter stock. He is a link to a page where somebody did this a to m44 http://badone07.freeservers.com/M44sporter/M44sporter.html http://pub86.ezboard.com/fmilitaryfirearmrestorationcornerfrm1.showMessage?topicID=106.topic [url]http://pub86.ezboard.com/fmilitaryfirearmrestorationcornerfrm1.showMessa ge?topicID=126.topic[/url]
Have fun enjoy your addiction.
Ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks M1, I will be takeing pics tomorrow.

Now how do I get a pic to post on this forum???

Scout...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way is to have it on a web page and then post an image link to it.
Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point is that you CAN buy 8x64S brass and ammunition. No, you can't buy it at Walmart, but you can't buy 8mm-06 there either! Worse yet, you can't buy 8mm-06 anywhere!

To answer your question, 8x64 brass is currently in stock at Midway for $35 per 20. Loaded ammo is available from www.Outdoor-source.com for $14.39 per 20 and at the moment they have 64 boxes in stock.

I am still looking for the "right" posting to attach my follow-up; in the meantime, I shall take the liberty to use Sam's as a jumping stone.
I just had a phone talk with the Brenneke company. For those who do not want the cheap & good Sellier and Bellot factory ammo, Brenneke makes top-notch German brass and loaded ammo (at very high prices). They also deliver to the USA; inquiries shall be addressed, I was toldby Mr Ralph Wilhelm, to

info@brenneke.com

Regards,
Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, in point to Sam's letter, 8mm-06 is available from at least two sources (Quality and Greyback) which is the same amount of sources as the 8 X 64. Both these suppliers are on this side of the pond. Brass quality I can't vouch for, as I've never used either. FWIW - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
Actually, in point to Sam's letter, 8mm-06 is available from at least two sources (Quality and Greyback) which is the same amount of sources as the 8 X 64.

Good info, Dan: thanks. Does this apply to brass only or to loaded ammo ? In any case, could you post their URL's ?

Regards,
Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
The URL for Quality Cartridge is http://www.owlnet.com/quality/

Unfortunately, while they list the 8mm-06 and 8mm-06 improved, they say "Information for this caliber is unavailable at this time".

I don't have any contact info for the other source Dan mentions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found contact info for Grayback Wildcats (541) 884-1072.

They don't have any 8mm-06 in stock, but said "I can form you some real quick". All of their brass carries the headstamp of the parent case, in this case (no pun intended), it would be 30-06 brass. Seemed like a real nice guy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hows the stock coming scout?
Ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took some digital pics last night, now my usb does not see the card reader. I will get them off the camera soon, and post. My two boys and a friend have commented it looked way cool, and cant believe it was a surplus stock. In fact the friend has just bought a Turk Mauser and said I am to make another....
I am looking at the wood grain, I don�t think I am going to cover it up. Looks pretty interesting..

Scout... check back later....