Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe i'm doing this wrong?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Just sitting here trying to break off the bolt handle on my model 700, 300 ultra mag. Seems to be on there pretty good. Do I need a hammer or something because it just doesn't seem to want to break.
Is there some kind of trick to this?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
Just sitting here trying to break off the bolt handle on my model 700, 300 ultra mag. Seems to be on there pretty good. Do I need a hammer or something because it just doesn't seem to want to break.

jump

Pure genius, my friend...and a great finale’ to the debate on “Brazing 101.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311,
Pretty slick huh? All this time I thought I was just a dumb billhilly. Now I've been promoted to genius bewildered lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t comment on other areas, pardner, but on this one that was PRICELESS!!!! And I almost pissed myself laughing so hard. thumb

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently you are not being stampeeded by the World's largest herd of wounded ____________ (fill in the blank with the most dangerous animal of your choice).

I've watched a bunch of those threads, and understanding how the Remington bolt handle is atteached at the factory. No doubt at all that since it is "man made" a failure has the potential to occur on some of them. Normal handling with dry-firing and actual Range time will prove if it is on to stay or not.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Apparently you are not being stampeeded by the World's largest herd of wounded ____________ (fill in the blank with the most dangerous animal of your choice).

I've watched a bunch of those threads, and understanding how the Remington bolt handle is atteached at the factory. No doubt at all that since it is "man made" a failure has the potential to occur on some of them. Normal handling with dry-firing and actual Range time will prove if it is on to stay or not.

Hot Core is right! It won't break until you're really up the creek when it does! (BTW, I've seen a number of bolt handles that were welded onto sporterized military actions that broke off too, so welding them on doesn't necessarily guarantee that it won't come off either!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't just working the bolt I was beating the bolt with my hand and it won't even come loose.
I don't believe I will be that rough on it in the field.
Im sure any rifle that is abused could have a bolt handle fall off though.
So even if a grizzly did decide he wanted to eat me. Why would I break it just cycling it. If I can't break it without literally beating on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did hear someplace that certain dangerous animals, through inherited intuition, have learned to distinguish what type of rifle a hunter is carrying before deciding whether or not to charge. If I recall, it has something to do with them having a great sense of smell that can detect the odor of brazing material on the rifle, and they can also hear what type of extractor is being used by the sound it makes when it snaps over the cartridge rim. Smiler

I have a great new idea for a Hunters Reality Show. One guy armed with a Remington 700 and the other guy armed with a huge sword. They start 50 yards apart and on the count of three one starts shooting and the other starts charging with his sword! Anyone out there want to be the “sword†contestant for the first show?

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311,
I'm about to fall in the floor here laughing so hard.

Me Me I wanna be the sword guy jump

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
No kidding I bet we could get some high ratings out of that T.V. show.
Think about how many non hunters even that would probably watch it. and then how many others just to be like MAN did you see that guy charging that big pissed off buffalo with a sword. That guy gotta be crazzzy.
It would have to be better than those other reality shows on tv, Those ones now are the stupiest shows I have ever seen.
This should be a good change from them. troll mgun

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
DG can only distinguish the odor of brazing material that was done on Mondays or Fridays...and they can only detect it on weekdays! troll

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No kidding I bet we could get some high ratings out of that T.V. show.
Think about how many non hunters even that would probably watch it. and then how many others just to be like MAN did you see that guy charging that big pissed off buffalo with a sword. That guy gotta be crazzzy.
It would have to be better than those other reality shows on tv, Those ones now are the stupiest shows I have ever seen.
This should be a good change from them. troll mgun

No, no, no, no...You’re missing the whole point of the show. The two men square off against each other...not a buffalo!

The guy with the sword would be charging the guy with the Remington rifle...and the guy with the rifle would be shooting at the guy with the sword. Far more interesting that shooting a poor old buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311,
That is funny shit.

Ok I'll still be the sword guy if you give the remington guy blanks. Then when he runs out of shells he can use it for a club aganinst my sword

Jarrod McMillan

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Ah what the hell I'll still be the sword guy. The remington guy couldn't shoot me anyway because his BOLT HANDLE would fall off jump

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brazed on bolt handle is a stupid design. The only reason for it is to have a low priced gun.

It's obvious that the handle might fall off. Why bother with it?

Is this bashing someone elses rifle? Should someone dance around brazing discussions for pages explaining that if it's done right it might not break?

The gun rags are full of articles on the good features of guns. Some here seem to be practicing for a job with the rags.

Remington could have screwed the bolt handle in like Kimber does or splined it in like Winchester does. In general this is not a good application of brazing.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
savage99,
I was actually being serious about the part of trying to break the bolt handle off of my Rem 700
I want to find out now if it is going to break before I hunt with it anymore. Like I said I think if me beating the bolt handle wont break it off. I dont think an animal has any magical powers to break it off while I just cycle the bolt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look into this

"Non-Destructive testing (NDT) is used to test turbine components without harming the component's ability to function within a gas turbine engine. NDT can be done to check for external cracks, internal defects, wall thickness and hole size. Some typical NDT processes include Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection (FPI), x-ray, ultrasonic inspection, magnetic particle inspection, and airflow. (NADCAP accredited)"

Just hammering on the bolt might start a failure.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beating on one that properly soldered might only prove its hard to knock off.......hammering on one that not properly soldered might get differnt results.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting info for those who care:

1. Winchester post 64 bolts...three pieces brazed together.

2. Savage bolts...three pieces, handle held on with a screw, bolt head held on with one small pin.

Not to mention the enormous numbers of custom Mausers, Springfields, etc., that have had new bolt handles welded onto them. Since some are saying they don’t trust welding to hold a bolt handle, why isn’t this a problem on all those welded on handles?

And I don’t suppose that anyone has ever heard of a screw or a pin backing out or breaking????

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Somebody remind me who the guy was that hammered on his Ruger to test the safety and broke it... Roll Eyes

Never mind, I found it:

quote:
Originally posted by Dogger:
I decided to see how tough my Ruger was. I put the rifle on safe, locking the bolt handle, and struck the bolt handle as hard as I could with the palm of my hand attempting to unlock the bolt. She held firm. Smiler So... I took a book that weighed, oh, maybe 1 pound, and solidly rapped the bolt handle... and dang if it didn't shear something off inside. So now my bolt handle can be manipulated when the rifle is on safe. The trigger remains locked, but the bolt handle can be rotated. What did I break? I suppose I better send this rascal back to Ruger for a repair...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Somebody remind me who the guy was that hammered on his Ruger to test the safety and broke it... Roll Eyes

Never mind, I found it:

quote:
Originally posted by Dogger:
I decided to see how tough my Ruger was. I put the rifle on safe, locking the bolt handle, and struck the bolt handle as hard as I could with the palm of my hand attempting to unlock the bolt. She held firm. Smiler So... I took a book that weighed, oh, maybe 1 pound, and solidly rapped the bolt handle... and dang if it didn't shear something off inside. So now my bolt handle can be manipulated when the rifle is on safe. The trigger remains locked, but the bolt handle can be rotated. What did I break? I suppose I better send this rascal back to Ruger for a repair...

You know...I once wondered how well my barrel was made so I clamped the first few inches in a vise and tied a rope to the action and hooked it to my four wheel drive and floored it. Friggin, button rifled barrels ain’t worth a crap...not to mention that cheapo bench vice that ripped off that cut rate work bench I spent good money on! Geez, where can a guy buy decent products nowadays?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Your very right, the hardened pin that holds the bolt face to the bolt on a savage will break. Seen more than one break.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the pleasure in Remington ownership is watching the knot they cause some people to get into.

Weatherbys are even better in this regard Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 517 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
Rick,

Your very right, the hardened pin that holds the bolt face to the bolt on a savage will break. Seen more than one break.

Billy,

And you know what?...Savage stills makes a great rifle and always has.

These stupid debates always get to the point of being absurd...which is exactly why some of us have tried to point that out by posting equally absurd things.

Any part on any rifle can break...expecially if some idiot starts beating on them with a sledge hammer or a 2x4 to see how strong they are. How long do you think a Mauser extractor (not exactly a flimsy piece of equipment) would hold up if some guy started beating the bolt open with a hammer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I know why most of my guns don't have bolts. So I won't be able to contribute to such eloquent discussions! roflmao

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Any part on any rifle can break...expecially if some idiot starts beating on them with a sledge hammer or a 2x4 to see how strong they are.
How long do you think a Mauser extractor (not exactly a flimsy piece of equipment) would hold up if some guy started beating the bolt open with a hammer?

Yep. The more expensive the weapon, the funnier the failure becomes.

It is a logarithmic scale using the cost of the weapon and the relative danger of the situation to determine the hilarity quotient.

I’ll look around for that formula. I know I have it somewhere…

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
... Geez, where can a guy buy decent products nowadays?
I hear it ALL THE TIME that the ONLY place to get good parts is on a Pre-64 M70. You know, the ones that are shown "blown-up" in PO Ackley's Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders in Volume II on page 36.

And of course there is that never-improved-upon Mauser "type" Extractor which is so much superior to the Remington that everyone recommends removing it and replacing it with one of Matt William's Extractors.

Of course, they were only made in rusting blue and termite food, but that is not an issue because blue NEVER rusts and termite food NEVER warps.

Speaking of those fine stocks, you either really need to use Iron Sights or a 1-4x straight tube scope so you can mount it low enough that when your cheek is on the stock, you can actually see through the scope. (It is fine for Irons though.)

And that fine front attachment screw going into a specially milled band around the barrel to ensure Barrel Warping and tossing bullets all over the place. However, I've found out that isn't a real concern either, because one of the "Holy Grail Experts" insists accuracy is not something anyone should be concerned about when hunting or practicing. In fact, he claims Practice shooting really is just a total waste of time. (Sounds like a guy who had to buy a LOT of BBQ Suppers for the other shooters to me.)

Not to mentioned pitiful "Gas Handling" due to a design problem which allows the escaping Gas from a Blown Primer to follow the Firing Pin straight back into your face. But you can down-load a 300WinMag to 30-30 levels and this "might" not be an issue.

Apparently the ONLY real rifle to carry when you need a firearm "you" can count on. Especially when you see a Bear around every corner. (Or so the Holy Grail Experts say as they deride ALL OTHER RIFLES.)

Is it really a wonder "why" the Holy Grail Experts think the rag Pre-64 M70s MUST BE sent to a GunSmith to make them reliable?
---

Hey Jarrod, That Bolt Handle fallen off yet???

Just looked in the SAFE and I don't see any laying on the bottom, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Try putting it in the freezer and beating on it, Temp may help, It will be funny either way.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elkman,

I'm in the freezer with this thing, but not much room to hit it..........and damn its getting cold Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Not to start or cause more mayhem here but the mauser extractor will take that kind of abuse just fine. I've had to beat a few mauser bolts open and the extractor never suffered any ill effects.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
HotCore,
the bolt handle is still holding on strong.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
You know I don't believe I will worry about all this bolt handles falling off, firing pins breaking, bolt sticking.
I'm just gonna start using that sword. Fewer moving parts to worry about Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have no reason to doubt your word, but I have also seen some that did get broken, as well as some on 1903’s and a couple of Enfields. I know plenty of people who have also beaten their 700’s open and nothing broke either...so what does any of this prove? Things break sometimes...why is that so hard for everyone to acknowledge?

Are we to believe that gunsmiths do nothing but build custom rifles, and they never have a job of repairing anything that has broken on a rifle? If they do repair work, do they only work on Remington 700’s because no other brands ever break anything?

I’ve quit counting the number of posts on this forum where someone is asking advice and/or assistance to fix something on their rifle that broke or isn’t working properly...and Mauser’s are the topic of those discussions at least half of the time if not more.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Jarrod,

Is it a pre-64 sword or one of the new cast ones with a sweated on hilt?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter,
Hell I dont care they still got fewer moving parts then these old rifle things.
Jarrod McMillan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will the barrel on my M700 break or just bend a little if I use it as a handle for a bumper jack? Or would a pre 64 M70 or a Mauser be a better choice for this potentially dangerous flat tire change?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Jarrod!

I think there are a couple of guys over on the other thread trying to get your job as the charging, sword wielding maniac on my new TV reality show! Smiler

I’ve been thinking of a title for the show...What do you think of: “When lead beats steelâ€... Kinda catchy don’t ya think?

We could even start an audience participation by having side bets on which will happen first...1) When will the bolt handle fall off...2) When will the cheapo extractor fail to work...or: 3) How many dead sword wielders will it take to figure out that you shouldn’t bring swords to gun fights...even if your opponent is armed with a cheap, lousy rifle, known the world over for breaking whenever something charges the owner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I found the trick!!!!

I was just sitting it my back yard with one of my 700’s sitting on a table and my dog came “charging“ around the corner...and I swear to God, the friggin bolt handle popped right off that damned rifle the minute he got within 20 yards of it, and I didn’t even touch it, honest!

Try your experiment with an animal charging you and see if you have the same thing happen...I think we might be onto something here, this could be BIG!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Wait one damn minute here. Whose trying to steal my job as the charging sword maniac, What thread where. Come on bring it on.
If your skeered say your skeered!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just looked, and if you add up the views on both of these almost indentical threads about Remington 700 bolts falling off, they beat the equally ridiculous argument over D’Arcy Echols prices and who is the greatest “white hunter†of them all.

Just goes to show you that total absurdity is still a big draw, no matter what the topic is.