Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dang! Broke my Ruger M77
 Login/Join

posted
I decided to see how tough my Ruger was. I put the rifle on safe, locking the bolt handle, and struck the bolt handle as hard as I could with the palm of my hand attempting to unlock the bolt. She held firm. Smiler So... I took a book that weighed, oh, maybe 1 pound, and solidly rapped the bolt handle... and dang if it didn't shear something off inside. So now my bolt handle can be manipulated when the rifle is on safe. The trigger remains locked, but the bolt handle can be rotated. What did I break? I suppose I better send this rascal back to Ruger for a repair...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Navy Nuke program. Test it till it breaks, fix it and start testing again.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have to ask: WHY??

Here's your sign!

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I decided to see how tough my Ruger was. I put the rifle on safe, locking the bolt handle, and struck the bolt handle as hard as I could with the palm of my hand attempting to unlock the bolt. She held firm. So... I took a book that weighed, oh, maybe 1 pound, and solidly rapped the bolt handle... and dang if it didn't shear something off inside. So now my bolt handle can be manipulated when the rifle is on safe. The trigger remains locked, but the bolt handle can be rotated. What did I break? I suppose I better send this rascal back to Ruger for a repair...

Are you an X Postal Worker or something of that nature? What in the world would were you trying to accomplish with that "below average" stunt?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My guess is you broke the bolt lock. A little sheet metal ring. Go to Rugers home page you can order the part for $.50

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Dogger,

Do you bore easily? Do you put your car's transmission into reverse while driving down the freeway at 65 MPH just to see if it will break? I know, you must be a cat lover.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogger:
I decided to see how tough my Ruger was. I put the rifle on safe, locking the bolt handle, and struck the bolt handle as hard as I could with the palm of my hand attempting to unlock the bolt. She held firm. Smiler So... I took a book that weighed, oh, maybe 1 pound, and solidly rapped the bolt handle... and dang if it didn't shear something off inside. So now my bolt handle can be manipulated when the rifle is on safe. The trigger remains locked, but the bolt handle can be rotated. What did I break? I suppose I better send this rascal back to Ruger for a repair...

Just when you think that you got something foolproof, the world comes up with a better fool.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of when I wanted to test how strong my barrel was and decided to fill it with lead and load in some really hot rounds...naw, I just can’t bear to tell that whole story again! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is just a bolt lock.I took it out of mine
so bolt can be worked with safety on.Like it better that way.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Sounds like part of a training program for future airline baggage handlers.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I do get bored easily. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know when you get bored with the color of your carpet and pour 10 gallons of gas on it and throw lit matches at it.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Done !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogger,

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly were you trying to 'prove' or check?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
WHY would any one do that????

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I think you're way smarter than I am.

Usually, I break things trying to fix them.

At least you broke your Ruger trying to break it. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, at least he fessed up to what happened, that's more than what I do usually!

Anyway, the bolt lock part # should be D35A.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
homer

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone check and see if Dogger works for UPS!! If not send him an application.LOL. Hey! It`s just a small part[fortunately]

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the best laugh I've had in several days! I read it and just kind-of thought why?, then reading the follow-ups I started laughing as I got a visual!
I've done some hairbrained stuff before but not this one! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, thats funny..........hoooo boy. It made me laugh, thanks for making my day. Like the time I was late getting out to my hunting spot and remembered I forgot something vitally important ...can't remember what it was though. So ....pissed off as I was I backed up really fast on the wet grass, slammed the truck in drive and took off like a bat outta hell. Once on the highway I pinned that damned chevy and took off up a big hill. All of a sudden outta nowhere I hear BLAM!!!!! yup $2000.00 later I had a nice new tranny.

I guess I'm not the only one

the chef

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:

IF, and I say, IF I were to remove that small piece, what functionality do I lose? What I'm getting at is: I gain the ability to operate the bolt, and especially to unload the round in the chamber, with the safety still on. So, what's the down side that I haven't seen yet?

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems and the reason
I did it was with my big fingers I bumped
trigger when grabbing bolt handle, so with
checking & cycling loaded rounds I like safety on.Now when I put the gun in the rack I take safety off and let firing pin off, gun unloaded off course.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Just brilliant stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
posting this is kinda like posting the fact that what you thought was a fart, wasn't and you have to go home now to change pants

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Admitting this is kinda like your beer drinking buddies finding out about your episode with fat and/or ugly chick, with their mouths full of beer of course, and old beer out the nose trick rears it ugly head again.......

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand him doing it. If I knew of a possible weakness with one of my guns...I would do a test to bear it out. Now he (and all of us) know that a Ruger bolt lock is not very robust.

See if you can put in a thicker piece, and open up the mortise to accomadate it.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C1PNR:
quote:

IF, and I say, IF I were to remove that small piece, what functionality do I lose? What I'm getting at is: I gain the ability to operate the bolt, and especially to unload the round in the chamber, with the safety still on. So, what's the down side that I haven't seen yet?

The most likely down side is horrible to contemplate, but will likely never happen...picture this... You're on a dream elk hunt in SW "Idyho". You've been creeping up a 30% grade through patchy brush and around occasional parks, "still-hunting" up on a bunch of different bugles when...all of a sudden, just as you come out of a patch of brush and pecker-pole pines. the little semi-open arroyo on your right explodes! Biggest Bull you'll ever see in your whole life, on a dead run! You toss your trusty Ruger to your shoulder, center his heart-lung area, and snap off a perfect trigger pull just before he disappears forever.

But, no explosion, no elk, nada.

Ehy? Without the bolt lock, your bolt opened about 10 degrees while you were creeping through the salal, pines, buck brush, and other stuff on that mountain. Well, with the bolt even a litle open, the rifle won't fire. So now all you have iin the bag is a story (that most won't believe) about The Big One That Got Away.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a F@#KING idiot !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, Now, thats an old gunsmith trick, "Get a bigger hammer"...... nut roflmao

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey, what you learn from destructive testing can be a good thing. Wink I always thought my Ruger was tough as nails. I read the thread about the African PH whose wife was mauled we he could not get his Winchester M70 off safe because the bolt handle had moved up a bit, enough to block the disengagement of the safety. Apparently this is a design weakness that effects some M70s. Welllll... I wondered if my Ruger was susceptible to the same thing. So... here goes the test. Whacked the bolt handle with my hand and nothing happened. Smiler Whacked it with a book (by the way, the book is a compilation of all of Virginia's regiments in the Civil War) and dang if something didn't break. To say I was surprised is an understatement. I always thought a Ruger was tougher than Kryptonite. Smiler (Perhaps Virginia was getting its revenge on a "Yankee" rifle Smiler )

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to old Dogger.

If I had pulled a stunt like that I certainly wouldn’t have the balls to tell anyone about it! bewildered

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had a Ruger, I would break it too.

Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Did you at least have an audience and say "hey ya'll, watch this. here. hold my beer."

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I read the thread about the African PH whose wife was mauled we he could not get his Winchester M70 off safe because the bolt handle had moved up a bit, enough to block the disengagement of the safety. Apparently this is a design weakness that effects some M70s. ...
Just "one" of many.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C1PNR:
quote:

The only down side is that the bolt can be inadvertently opened by a branch, twig, piece of brush, etc., when you're carrying it slung, dumping the round out perhaps unbeknownst to you.

This is only potentially dangerous in Africa or Alaska, but it could conceivably cost you a shot at a deer.

This is why I like the Model 70-type 3-position safety that lets you lock the bolt closed, and yet permits the action to be cycled with the striker securely locked in the cocked position.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen...

Some of the original old M77's with the tang safety would cycle with safety on, others did not. I believe the earlier guns locked down on safe and the later ones prior to the M77/MkII did not (or is it the other way around? My 1980 .458 M77 locks down on safe.)

The Ruger M77/MkII safety IS A THREE POSITION SAFETY and the bolt CAN be operated and cycled with the safety still engaged...

On the M77/MkII the safety is OFF when pushed all the way forward. When it's in the middle position the safety is ON yet you can work the bolt/action. When the safety is all the way to the rear the safety is ON and the bolt is locked down.

A pin is what holds the bolt into the locked down position. I don't imagine the pin is hard to replace. Order the pin and accompanying spring for the pin from Ruger and re-install it.

PS to Dogger: To save you alot of grief... A scope - ANY scope - will break if you clobber it hard with a hammer (even once). Smiler

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ha! 458RugerNo1, I will remember that sage advice! No, I won't be beating on the Leupold with a book! I learned my lesson... Wink

I did pick up another Ruger in 6mm Remington... I won't be whacking it either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ha! 458RugerNo1, I will remember that sage advice! No, I won't be beating on the Leupold with a book! I learned my lesson... Wink

I did pick up another Ruger in 6mm Remington... I won't be whacking it either.

Hey Dogger,

Doing what you did is sort of like having sex with your cousin...it’s allot of fun but you don’t want everyone knowing about it! Smiler