Find
Notify
Tools

Lother Walther barrel - email from gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It all has to do with screen resolution. Try different sizes till you get the size that you like. Right click on your desktop the left click on screen resolution. (I'm running Windows 7)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I'm running vista, if that matters.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB,
It works fine on mine.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It just may be my browser. I'm using Firefox. Which you using Butch?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
That's odd. They appear normal on my screens.

I'm thinking it's an administrator question, and suspect your computer, or monitor.

Sorry about that. If I knew how to fix it, I would.

KB

KB the problem, I believe, is you signature line. You need to take about 40% of those "~-~-~-~-~-~-~" off.

quote:
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Not all who wander are lost"- JRR Tolkein "Not all who wonder are bewildered" - Gridley
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

You should try to make it look like this:

quote:
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Not all who wander are lost"- JRR Tolkein "Not all who wonder are bewildered" - Gridley
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
That's odd. They appear normal on my screens.

I'm thinking it's an administrator question, and suspect your computer, or monitor.

Sorry about that. If I knew how to fix it, I would.

KB

KB the problem, I believe, is you signature line. You need to take about 20% of those "~-~-~-~-~-~-~" off.

Brown, I do believe you have found the problem!!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I went back and edited my post. I think it is a simple fix, and it would make your posts easier to read.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the same problem.

KB's appear fine on my screen, but jbrown's and Ted thorn's are always wider than others

?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
How's this??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kb that's better. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should have sent that LW barrel to Anna Kinney in Georgia. She does a great job finishing them!

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Now I can focus on my wild & marginal puns and metaphors. Wink

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BECoole:
You should have sent that LW barrel to Anna Kinney in Georgia. She does a great job finishing them!

Well, maybe next time. This one is going back to Woody, to "QC", and finish the chamber & crown. Then, if all goes well, it's back to the gunsmith for final installation.

In this case, it will be rather difficult for him to test fire it, since it's a wildcat, and I'll have to start load development when I get the rifle. I don't see a problem with that though. It's no different that all the other custom barrels I've gotten, including one other wildcat, since I don't remember if the gunsmith fired them or not. I don't even remember discussing it, except once, and that was way after the fact when a problem cropped up - with failure to fire at all, not accuracy.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a 1/2 to 3/4 of a thou tight made any difference at all, Krieger would be out of business!

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My rifle/wildcat may be a good test base for the "tight" theory. Unfortunately, I'll have no factory std to compare it to - velocity. With SAAMI std being .315" on the lands, and apparantly CIP or at least LW std being .311 on the lands, I would class this 8mm LW barrel as "tight" - not ten-thousandths, but .002".

http://www.lothar-walther.com/376.php scroll all the way to the bottom. This is a new LW50 blank #1400, that I bought direct from LW/Woody about three years ago. The reamer is from PTG, in 323 Hollis, which is the 308 Norma necked up to 8mm, no other change. The dies are from Redding, made with reference to the reamer drawing provided by PTG. I'll be using new Norma brass.

Here's another interesting link: http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/...ces-c1246-wp3390.htm Scroll down, see that Krieger offers two "bores" in 8mm - one .311 & another .315. The initial pilot provided by PTG on my reamer was .315, but had to be changed to .311 to fit into the barrel. Also notice the interesting info at the top of the link/page in blue.

Unfortunately, if my LW barrel doesn't shoot accurately, we'll never get to the bottom of that hole. But, if it's accurate, then that's one indication that "tight" lands makes no difference in accuracy, as long as the groove is right. (bullet diameter same as groove) This seems to be confirmed by the Krieger info.

I'll cronograph it of course, but unless it's way off velocity expectations, then it won't mean much, except just info.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My rifle/wildcat may be a good test base for the "tight" theory. Unfortunately, I'll have no factory std to compare it to - velocity. With SAAMI std being .315" on the lands, and apparantly CIP or at least LW std being .311 on the lands, I would class this 8mm LW barrel as "tight" - not ten-thousandths, but .002".

http://www.lothar-walther.com/376.php scroll all the way to the bottom. This is a new LW50 blank #1400, that I bought direct from LW/Woody about three years ago. The reamer is from PTG, in 323 Hollis, which is the 308 Norma necked up to 8mm, no other change. The dies are from Redding, made with reference to the reamer drawing provided by PTG. I'll be using new Norma brass.

Here's another interesting link: http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/...ces-c1246-wp3390.htm Scroll down, see that Krieger offers two "bores" in 8mm - one .311 & another .315. The initial pilot provided by PTG on my reamer was .315, but had to be changed to .311 to fit into the barrel. Also notice the interesting info at the top of the link/page in blue.

Unfortunately, if my LW barrel doesn't shoot accurately, we'll never get to the bottom of that hole. But, if it's accurate, then that's one indication that "tight" lands makes no difference in accuracy, as long as the groove is right. (bullet diameter same as groove) This seems to be confirmed by the Krieger info.

I'll cronograph it of course, but unless it's way off velocity expectations, then it won't mean much, except just info.

KB

That .311 bore happens to be a "standard" for the 8mm. It's a specification on the original data for many 8mm cartridges. LW also can make the "American Norm" .323 groove with .315 bore, you just didn't ask for it. On there website for the 8mm barrel you ordered it was clearly defined what the bore and groove was, why didn't you ask questions when you ordered it?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
That .311 bore happens to be a "standard" for the 8mm. It's a specification on the original data for many 8mm cartridges. LW also can make the "American Norm" .323 groove with .315 bore, you just didn't ask for it. On there website for the 8mm barrel you ordered it was clearly defined what the bore and groove was, why didn't you ask questions when you ordered it?

I did ask questions. I did see it was clearly defined in the web site. I don't have a problem with it being .311 bore, and never said I did. At this stage, how the heck would I know one way or another whether it's a problem. I can only assume that LW and Krieger know what they are doing. I'm just giving info and facts for those who may be interested in details, have a problem, or think they have a problem.

BTW, the latest status is waiting on "QC" of the barrel and reamer. Assuming they are OK, then apparantly we have decided to send the action and the stock to LW, so complete assembly is in the control of LW, thus removing the variable of another gunsmith. He doesn't want any thing more to do with it anyway, as long as the LW barrel is involved. He trued and lapped the action, so it's ready to accept the barrel with no other work. The stock is a factory take-off, so all it needs is a little inletting for the new contour and bedding.

Woody insists on test firing the rifle, and making adjustments based on the results. That presents a problem since this is a wildcat. So, I have talked with one custom ammo maker, and may talk with others down south. The guy I talked with over the phone sounded very competent, and the prices aren't bad. That solves the ammo problem, and the shipping of ammo problem, and removes another variable. At least Woody won't be shooting my handloads.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I did ask questions. I did see it was clearly defined in the web site. I don't have a problem with it being .311 bore, and never said I did. At this stage, how the heck would I know one way or another whether it's a problem. I can only assume that LW and Krieger know what they are doing. I'm just giving info and facts for those who may be interested in details, have a problem, or think they have a problem.

BTW, the latest status is waiting on "QC" of the barrel and reamer. Assuming they are OK, then apparantly we have decided to send the action and the stock to LW, so complete assembly is in the control of LW, thus removing the variable of another gunsmith. He doesn't want any thing more to do with it anyway, as long as the LW barrel is involved. He trued and lapped the action, so it's ready to accept the barrel with no other work. The stock is a factory take-off, so all it needs is a little inletting for the new contour and bedding.

Woody insists on test firing the rifle, and making adjustments based on the results. That presents a problem since this is a wildcat. So, I have talked with one custom ammo maker, and may talk with others down south. The guy I talked with over the phone sounded very competent, and the prices aren't bad. That solves the ammo problem, and the shipping of ammo problem, and removes another variable. At least Woody won't be shooting my handloads.

Did Woody tell you about the other dimension that Americans are more use to and did you have a choice?

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did Woody tell you about the other dimension that Americans are more use to and did you have a choice?

I can't remember if Woody mentioned it initally or not, but somewhere along the line he informed me. I doubt that knowing the barrel was .311 or .315 bore at the time of purchase would have made a difference in the decision to buy. I have figured all along that LW knows what they are doing with barrel making, so why should I worry about it?

Certainly I had a choice. I could have bought any one of the various makes, such as Kreiger, PacNor, Douglas, etc. In fact I have a new Douglas 8mm #4 SS blank on the shelf right now, and two #3 SS Shilens, threaded and prechambered in 8x57. I also have a 8x57 LW CM barrel threaded and prechambered. I know the Douglas is .315 bore, and suspect the Shilens are too. I also suspect the LW CM barrel is .311, but I don't know for sure since it doesn't matter. I'm sure it will shoot well, so what do I care if it's .311 or .315? I'm also sure the Douglas and Shilen barrels will shoot well. If it's a problem, it will become apparant one of these days, and I'll worry about it then.

I forget just how many barrel blanks I have. They come and go. I have plans for them all. Maybe some day I'll get around to using them all.

I chose to use a LW50 #1400 blank for this project, and had no basis for concern that I was making the wrong choice. My gunsmith obviously thinks differently, now that he tried threading and chambering it. I'm still neutral about what to think about it, but I ain't going to argue with my gunsmith about it. That would just aggrivate him some more.

What do I know for sure? My gunsmith says he can't do the work on this barrel, because he isn't set up for it, and his tools aren't right for it. Woody says no problem, I'll do it. Seems to me we have a solution, not a problem. Big Grin

Should I want to use a LW barrel again, next time I'll just be sure that my gunsmith has successful experience with one, and maybe referr him to this thread, or better yet, insist that he call Woody in advance, then make a decision of whether he wants the project or not.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I can't remember if Woody mentioned it initally or not, but somewhere along the line he informed me. I doubt that knowing the barrel was .311 or .315 bore at the time of purchase would have made a difference in the decision to buy. I have figured all along that LW knows what they are doing with barrel making, so why should I worry about it?

Certainly I had a choice. I could have bought any one of the various makes, such as Kreiger, PacNor, Douglas, etc. In fact I have a new Douglas 8mm #4 SS blank on the shelf right now, and two #3 SS Shilens, threaded and prechambered in 8x57. I also have a 8x57 LW CM barrel threaded and prechambered. I know the Douglas is .315 bore, and suspect the Shilens are too. I also suspect the LW CM barrel is .311, but I don't know for sure since it doesn't matter. I'm sure it will shoot well, so what do I care if it's .311 or .315? I'm also sure the Douglas and Shilen barrels will shoot well. If it's a problem, it will become apparant one of these days, and I'll worry about it then.

I forget just how many barrel blanks I have. They come and go. I have plans for them all. Maybe some day I'll get around to using them all.

I chose to use a LW50 #1400 blank for this project, and had no basis for concern that I was making the wrong choice. My gunsmith obviously thinks differently, now that he tried threading and chambering it. I'm still neutral about what to think about it, but I ain't going to argue with my gunsmith about it. That would just aggrivate him some more.

What do I know for sure? My gunsmith says he can't do the work on this barrel, because he isn't set up for it, and his tools aren't right for it. Woody says no problem, I'll do it. Seems to me we have a solution, not a problem. Big Grin

Should I want to use a LW barrel again, next time I'll just be sure that my gunsmith has successful experience with one, and maybe referr him to this thread, or better yet, insist that he call Woody in advance, then make a decision of whether he wants the project or not.

KB

It will be fine, I mean it's not dangerous or anything like that. It's just that it's very deep rifling. Personally myself I would have opted for the .315 bore with .323 grooves. You don't really need to have .006 lands digging into the jacket. Lets say you had those .006 grooves on a 220 Swift and shooting those explosive varmint bullets to the max velocity. I'd be afraid that they would be shredded by that deep of rifling. That's not a worry on the big 8mm bullet. I'll say one thing, you won't be shooting the rifling out of that thing for a long long time. I would also follow a good break in procedure and good cleaning regime.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
SJ, I wish you would not quote my entire previous post.

Yes, the 220 gr 8mm bullets have a long bearing surface. But remember, the 8x60S and some others used the very long 220 and 250gr 8mm bullets and they had the deep rifling. Maybe I would choose the .315 bore if I had given it much thought in the beginning. At this stage, we are just guessing at what difference it will make, and the best guess is that it won't make much difference, or none that matters. We'll just have to wait and see.

Yes, I suspect this barrel will last a long time, so if it shoots well, I'll have no mercy on it, and shoot it often. It will definately not hang out in the gun safe. And yes, I'll break it in properly, and clean it regularly. Lately I've had good results with that foaming bore cleaner. Good stuff, no smell

BTW, I may have mentioned that I deal with more than one gunsmith. Each sorta has his specialty. One of my other gunsmith has some experience with LW barrels, and says he has used a bunch of the pre-threaded pre-chambered CM Mauser barrels and likes them. The LW50 barrels he has used were also pre-threaded and pre-chambered, and presented no significant problems. That's encouraging, and perhaps suggests a solution for other gunsmiths.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you who asked for results from my .264 Winchester Magnum Brux Rebarrel