New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lother Walther barrel - email from gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy about 3000 barrels a year. Mostly Wilson, Krieger, Pac-Nor, and Shilen, but I have used barrels from most of the US barrel makers, including L-W. I have stuck with Wilson, Krieger, Shilen, and Pac-Nor because when I have a problem with any one of there barrels, I send the barrel back, and they either send me a new one, or give me a credit on my next order. No BS, no excuses, no crap about special steel, not nothing, just a take care of the customer attitude. I think these barrel makers represent the best in there respective price ranges. Anyone can make a good barrel. But only a few barrel makers can run a decent business.

John

Posts: 556 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
I buy about 3000 barrels a year. Mostly Wilson, Krieger, Pac-Nor, and Shilen, but I have used barrels from most of the US barrel makers, including L-W. I have stuck with Wilson, Krieger, Shilen, and Pac-Nor because when I have a problem with any one of there barrels, I send the barrel back, and they either send me a new one, or give me a credit on my next order. No BS, no excuses, no crap about special steel, not nothing, just a take care of the customer attitude. I think these barrel makers represent the best in there respective price ranges. Anyone can make a good barrel. But only a few barrel makers can run a decent business.

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
They have a lot of confidence in you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I haven't measured any LW 8mm barrels, but I CAN tell you that many Euro 8mm barrels have dimensions that are all over the map. Deep grooves of up to 0.328" are quite common in the older barrels, for instance. This is true of not only the military Mausers and 1888 Commission rifles but also the Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1908s I've measured as well. I haven't paid much attention to the bore diameters, only the grooves, and all the ones I fired seemed to group fine with no unusual pressure or lack-of-pressure signs. I figured that the deep grooves were a carryover from the black and semi-smokeless days and paid no further attention.

My point is that LW may be using the deep grooves which would require a smaller 8mm bore diameter, fitting in with the tight bore observation. A chamber/bore cast will tell the tale.
Regards, Joe

Deep grooves in the old military rifles was there for a reason. Most often to have room for the acculation of bullet jacket alloy and powder fouling, not the mention dirty ammo. Another reason was it would take longer to shoot the rifling out to the degree it wouldn't grab the bullet enough to put a spin on it.

Only thing I agree with is that back in those days the rifling depth did seem to wander quite a bit.

I feel the Mosin Nagants were one of the worse of the bunch along with the .303 British.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
quote:
Notice I did not say that you didn't know the difference between a rough bore and heavy surplus powder fouling

Notice I said I actually saw the bore with a bore scope.

Please do go on using your slow surplus powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

John

In the early day Shilen did indeed make a good barrel. Today I consider them Wal-Mart barrels. They are cheap, not as great, and everywhere....just about all Midway and Brownells sell. Won't be long before Shilen ranks right along side an E. R. Shaw barrel....mass production.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
As far as customer satisfaction goes, a long way for me, I have been happy with PacNor, for many years and several barrels.

However, I believe the most accurate barrel I ever shot is a Shilen, or maybe it was that Lilja, or maybe the Schneider. Big Grin
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

Only thing I agree with is that back in those days the rifling depth did seem to wander quite a bit.

So, what's your opinion, these days, on a groove depth of .012"?

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
quote:

KB

I don't believe it. Not with button rifling. I think it would have to be requested by the customer in my opinion. The cast bullet shooters would like it.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
One thing is pretty certain - it either is or isn't. If it ain't then it's not to the LW specs per their web page, and Woody and I will have a talk about that, for clarification.

The question of opinion is mostly about what effect it will have, supposing it actually is .012?

KB

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

KB

Depth is actually only half the difference between the lands and grooves.

.308-.300=.008/2=.004 the rifling is only .004" high.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
quote:

We realize that but a groove depth of .006 today is deep.

KB

Depth is actually only half the difference between the lands and grooves.

.308-.300=.008/2=.004 the rifling is only .004" high.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
z1r,
I figured that somehow, I was an idiot about this. homer But at least I'm quick to get it when someone with real logic chips in and sets me strait.

Maybe the embarrassment will cause me to not forget it again.

If I hadn't been willing to be embarrased, I wouldn't have ventured the question. The gain is clairification. Thanks for that.

.323 - .311 = .012 / 2 = .006" groove depth, or rifling height, per side. So, two/thousandths or .002" is the issue in groove depth, the difference per side, comparing a std .308 barrel to my 8mm barrel. That's better that thinking the groove depth is a full .004" deeper.

Thanks again. KB

quote:

We realize that but a groove depth of .006 today is deep.

Yes, especially compared to US made barrels, as I understand it.

Now, with this clarification, the main questions remain. So, I'll state it another way.

(1) Say the groove diameter is .323", and of course the bullet is .323" - exactly, and the lands are .006" per side. (.311" pilot)

(2) For comparison, groove and bullet are same diameter .323", lands .004" per side, thus pilot is .315"

(3) Also, say the groove diameter is .319", and the bullet diameter is .323", and the lands are .004" per side. (.311" pilot)

I'm thinking in theory 1 and 2 will produce about the same in presure and velocity. I dunno about accuracy. Obviously #2 will engrave and disturb the bullet less as it passes.

#3 is what causes the jump in pressure and loss in velocity, the way I understand it works.

I'll say it another way, to try from being accused of asking a trick question. I'm thinking it's the groove diameter, in relation to the bullet diameter, that determines most of the pressure and velocity, rather than the bore diameter, or the length of the lands, within a reasonable range. The closer bullet diameter and groove diameter match, the better, and all is well as long as there are sufficient lands to spin the bullet. That's the way I see it.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SJ,
What are you smokin? What barrels do you like?
I think you will find the quality of Shilen barrels is considerably better than 3 years ago. They are the hottest barrels made for rimfire right now. Maybe you ought to have your gunsmith order you one.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
SJ,
What are you smokin? What barrels do you like?
I think you will find the quality of Shilen barrels is considerably better than 3 years ago. They are the hottest barrels made for rimfire right now. Maybe you ought to have your gunsmith order you one.
Butch

Yeah....and I wonder where Shilen learned how to improve them?

BTW...Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco free here pal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got your goat! jumping
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Please do go on using your slow surplus powders."

Obviously smokin', you've never loaded for the .264 WM. For your customer's sake, I hope you are a better gunsmith than a ballistician.

Here's a .264 WM refresher course from The Expert:

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Depending on how a .264 WM is throated, it will digest about 80 grains of WC-872 pushing a 140 grain bullet. One with a SAAMI zero-leade throat might take a bit less, while one throated to seat a 140 graier all the way out to the 3.6" length of some magazines may take as much as 82 grains, which is about all of the WC-872 you can get in a once-fired .264 case.

Regardless of throat, I sincerely doubt that you could get enough WC-872 into a .264 case to reach 75,000 PSI, short of something like jamming a monometal bullet into the lands.

Lots of surplus powders do vary, so my experience with WC-872 may not exactly match that of someone working with another lot. Both WC-872 and WC-860 (again, in the lots I've worked with) are substantially slower than anything sold as H-870, or its stick stablemate, H-570. WC-872 works quite well with both the .264 and 7mm STW, and should be excellent in the 7mm RUM, and the .300-378 WBY. Agreed, powders vary in behavior with the size of the case, the bore, and the sectional density of the projectile; however I've found WC-872 to be quite predictable and well-mannered in all the applications I've used it in.

Faster powders in the .264 are potential bombs which can exhibit pressure excursions without warning when the charge is increased incrementally. I've owned a .264 since 1964 and have worked with a number of them. Incidentally, my 1964 vintage .264 has a throat that looks like alligator hide for the first inch in front of the chamber. It also never turns in a group as larg as an inch.
quote:
quote:
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Please do go on using your slow surplus powders."

Obviously smokin', you've never loaded for the .264 WM. For your customer's sake, I hope you are a better gunsmith than a ballistician.

Here's a .264 WM refresher course from The Expert:

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Depending on how a .264 WM is throated, it will digest about 80 grains of WC-872 pushing a 140 grain bullet. One with a SAAMI zero-leade throat might take a bit less, while one throated to seat a 140 graier all the way out to the 3.6" length of some magazines may take as much as 82 grains, which is about all of the WC-872 you can get in a once-fired .264 case.

Regardless of throat, I sincerely doubt that you could get enough WC-872 into a .264 case to reach 75,000 PSI, short of something like jamming a monometal bullet into the lands.

Lots of surplus powders do vary, so my experience with WC-872 may not exactly match that of someone working with another lot. Both WC-872 and WC-860 (again, in the lots I've worked with) are substantially slower than anything sold as H-870, or its stick stablemate, H-570. WC-872 works quite well with both the .264 and 7mm STW, and should be excellent in the 7mm RUM, and the .300-378 WBY. Agreed, powders vary in behavior with the size of the case, the bore, and the sectional density of the projectile; however I've found WC-872 to be quite predictable and well-mannered in all the applications I've used it in.

Faster powders in the .264 are potential bombs which can exhibit pressure excursions without warning when the charge is increased incrementally. I've owned a .264 since 1964 and have worked with a number of them. Incidentally, my 1964 vintage .264 has a throat that looks like alligator hide for the first inch in front of the chamber. It also never turns in a group as larg as an inch.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Obviously RC, you don't know me. Hey at least my gunsmith or myself don't screw up my barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Got your goat! jumping
Butch

Now how could you possibly twist that into you got my goat???????? I'm serious, there are things I know about Shilen (the person) that many don't and I'm not telling. I just don't think his barrels are the greatest thing since sliced bread. So we'll just agree to disagree...ok?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously RC, you don't know me. Hey at least my gunsmith or myself don't screw up my barrels.

hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I can see that this thread has gone to lala/heehaw cyberspace, just like the other LW threads before, on AR.

It's normal.

BTW, that's a favorite term now, that I learned from my Ukrainian x-wife. A serious kinda woman, she was so right, in so many bizarre ways, and lacking good English, she had such a concise way of speaking her point, that I somehow appreciate now. Such a shame and strange, that I see that in hindsight. Big Grin

KB

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The smith I use did my LW barrel without any problems. After I learned that some guys were having problems with them, I asked him about it and his casual reply was basically, "you have to know what you are doing with LW because the steel is a little different."

3 pages back the OP said his gunsmith was doing his first LW barrel, messed it up, thus called it crap. So, my guess is he didn't know any better on what different measures to take to chamber it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
That was my guess too, Doc. I even warned him at least twice, and at least twice asked that he call LW before starting, and I asked him if he wanted to talk with another gunsmith who had worked with LW barrels before. Apparantly what I said went in one ear, and out the other, as my mother used to say. I can't help but presume that he couldn't imagine the problems he found, since he has a great deal of experience with other makes of barrels.

I figured that if it happened to him, it could and has happened to others. I think it is the source of most of the bad opinions about LW barrels. Maybe, maybe not, but it sure looks that way.

I'm pretty sure that most of us would rather that didn't happen. Avoiding LW barrels is not really a good solution, but an option. Some gunsmiths have obviously learned to deal with them in a satisfactory way.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I buy about 3000 barrels a year. ...
With normal Vacations and weekends, thats over 10 barrel installations a day. shocker

How many GunSmiths do you have in your Shop?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
With normal Vacations and weekends, thats over 10 barrel installations a day. shocker

We build AR-15 barrels primarily, with a few T2K and AR-10 barrels thrown in for good measure. We buy blanks then contour, thread, chamber, etc. About half get built into uppers, the rest go out as just barrels. Actually more work than installing a barrel on a bolt gun as we have gas ports to drill and other features to machine.
This,

makes the contouring go pretty quickly.

We have 3 full time people in the shop including myself as well as a part timer from time to time.

I do not want to make this a plug, so I will not mention the name of our company, but those interested can figure it out pretty easily. The only point I was trying to make is that we do not have time to go round and round with our suppliers and listen to a bunch of BS. If we have a problem with something, we need to know that our supplier is going to take care of it in an efficient timely manner. Putting a good hole in the middle of a bar of steel is just one criteria of a good barrel maker for my money.

John

Oh, and how many working gunsmiths get normal vacations and weekends?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My smith had no trouble chambering the LW barrel. His only comments to me were about the barrel steel being harder than he has seen and the barrel being out of spec dimensionally.

My barrel was incapable of producing anything close to being called "accuracy"

Went round and round with LW and they wouldn't replace it. Blamed my smith. Said they could correct it. They worked on it and it shot worse.

Gasgunner,

Since I see you have used LW barrels but don't anymore, is it safe to assume your experience with service was similar?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
RC,
How hard were the barrels your gunsmith was comparing the LW barrel to? Is HRC 20.1 relatively hard?

We know the out of spec per your gunsmith was 1/2 to 3/4 of a thousandths, .0005 -.00075".

PacNor, for example, will not try to fix, ream, or do any gunsmithing on their barrel that's been fired. They may replace it. It's their policy, and I see why. Woody should take note.

Gasgunner, when you have used LW barrels, were they LW50? Did it require a different machine or tool set-up?

KB

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Hardness is not the issue. A material can be tough and soft relatively speaking and be a total bitch to machine. When it comes to tool steels you have a few properties to deal with. Some effect other and some are nearly independent of each other but all play a part in the ability of the steel to produce the properties desired in the part.

Toughness
Hardness
Wear resistance
Red hardness

Being difficult to machine could mean it's too hard or too tough or abrasive. 304 stainless is a prima example. it is a relatively soft steel but is though to machine and the chips have a tendency to smear or gaul. Titanium is another example relatively soft material yet will destroy a cutter in very little order with the wrong speeds, feeds, and cutting fluid.

18-8 & 17-4 are relatively easy to machine but still may produce problems if you don't have experience with them.
4140 is just about the best material in a steel grade to cut. It machines very clean producing very nice surface finishes. It's not hard on tooling. and it's strong even in the annealed state.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RC, I was fortunate to have some customers furnish me with LW barrel blanks before I spent any of my money on them. After borescoping these barrels I made the decision not to go with them. About the same time some others resellers were pushing LW barrels to the highpower crowd and I began hearing reports about the performance of those barrels which further reinforced my decision not to use them.

Kabluewy, yes there were advertising some special steel at the time. I do not recall having to make any big adjustments to my process. I do use carbide tooling for most operations if that makes a difference.

I think I'm drug into this about as far as I want to go. I wish Woody and LW all the best, and those of you who like LW barrels should continue to use them.

John

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
My smith had no trouble chambering the LW barrel. His only comments to me were about the barrel steel being harder than he has seen and the barrel being out of spec dimensionally.

quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Hardness is not the issue.

Ok,

Specs are not the issue.

Not obtaining a second free replacment barrel. Is that your issue?

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RC, I was fortunate to have some customers furnish me with LW barrel blanks before I spent any of my money on them. After borescoping these barrels I made the decision not to go with them. About the same time some others resellers were pushing LW barrels to the highpower crowd and I began hearing reports about the performance of those barrels which further reinforced my decision not to use them.

Kabluewy, yes there were advertising some special steel at the time. I do not recall having to make any big adjustments to my process. I do use carbide tooling for most operations if that makes a difference.

I think I'm drug into this about as far as I want to go. I wish Woody and LW all the best, and those of you who like LW barrels should continue to use them.

John

Awe, ya big chicken! Wink

Thanks for the input, I'm sure everyone will find it useful in making a decision when choosing which barrel to go with!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmokimJ,
You have a PM.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:

We build AR-15 barrels primarily, with a few T2K and AR-10 barrels thrown in for good measure. We buy blanks then contour, thread, chamber, etc. About half get built into uppers, the rest go out as just barrels. Actually more work than installing a barrel on a bolt gun as we have gas ports to drill and other features to machine.
This,

makes the contouring go pretty quickly.

We have 3 full time people in the shop including myself as well as a part timer from time to time.

I do not want to make this a plug, so I will not mention the name of our company, but those interested can figure it out pretty easily. The only point I was trying to make is that we do not have time to go round and round with our suppliers and listen to a bunch of BS. If we have a problem with something, we need to know that our supplier is going to take care of it in an efficient timely manner. Putting a good hole in the middle of a bar of steel is just one criteria of a good barrel maker for my money.

John

Oh, and how many working gunsmiths get normal vacations and weekends?

My smith is the same. He works 12 hour days even into the weekend!

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith spends time with his family, takes vacations, and goes steelhead fishing, salmon fishing, and elk hunting, etc., and is successful at it.

I'm glad he has his priorities in order.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

Ok,

Specs are not the issue.

Not providing a second replacment barrel, priceless.

KB

KB,

What if the barrel is correct, especially correct to the customers specifications...and the customers gunsmith messes it up? Who's to rectify that? An analogy: You buy an new car. Soon as you get it home you have your mechanic put a larger performance cam in it and he messes up the engine. Is the car manufacturer going to repair or give you a new engine?

I guess it boils down too who messed up RC's LW barrel. The barrel should have been inspected...and not touched in any way....before installing it on the action. Once it's touched, it's not LW's responsibility anymore and I believe someone said something to that effect about PAC NOR not doing anything with one of their barrels being fired. I'll add machined and fired.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Correct. In the service industry the manufacturer is liable for the general defects in manufacturing and workmanship as it pertains to there as manufactured product. The smith is responsible for his manufacturing and workmanship. As you said the barrel should have been inspected before any attempt was made to machine it. Then if the smith felt it was usable part and he fouls it up guess what?? He just bought that customer a new barrel and LW is held harmless. but if he for what ever reason feels it was of sub standard quality then he can refuse it a send it back and await a replacement.

Here's where liability gets ugly though. your analogy of the auto mechanic. If as you stated the mechanic installs a part and causes the engine to be damaged the mechanic is responsible for the repair to restore the engine back to the condition in which it was found when the car showed up at his shop. again the manufacturer is held harmless unless a factory defect could be found to have caused the problem i.e. a Ford emblem on the grill Big Grin Big Grin I couldn't resist that one

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it boils down too who messed up RC's LW barrel. The barrel should have been inspected...and not touched in any way....before installing it on the action. Once it's touched, it's not LW's responsibility anymore and I believe someone said something to that effect about PAC NOR not doing anything with one of their barrels being fired. I'll add machined and fired.

The barrel was not messed up by anyone. It simply was a barrel incapable of accuracy. LW chambered and crowned it with the same lame accuracy results, except worse.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
SmokinJ,
It's my understanding that LW has the specs. Woody was able to look up the specs on my barrel by referring to nearly three year old records, and the original invoice. I have two LW50 barrels that I bought from Midway, a .308 and a .264 both #1300, and I think the specs are on a card attached to the wrapping. I'll look later. Same thing with a CM LW barrel that I got from Brownells.

Once, I asked PacNor if they did rechambering jobs on one of their barrels that had been installed by them but already fired. The answer was no. Later, I had a 450 Marlin barrel threaded and fitted by PacNor to a Ruger short action, which didn't work out for feeding issues. I never fired it. I asked them if they would rechamber to 458 and install on a Ruger magnum action. Answer yes. The barrel shoots fine.

Actually, the barrel shoots better than fine. PacNor worked with me on a special short throat chambering, and helped with suggestions. I sent dummy rounds, and the throat worked out perfectly to what I was expecting. There were no misunderstandings even though my request was unusual, and it is highly probable that they had never actually done throating like that on a 458, although they did have a no-throat reamer, and a seperate throating reamer, which made the deal do-able. This has been a common situation with PacNor. Currently I have two other projects in their shop, and both are unusual requests, and one involvs a custom reamer, which we are waiting for. Everything with them is as it should be with customer relations, in my experience and opinion.

I think PacNor's policy on that is a good one, for all involved. I have had a barrel replaced by PacNor, no problem. But, I didn't go back to the trough a second time (second replacment) for a third barrel . That would probably test the good nature of those fine folks at PacNor.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think PacNor's policy on that is a good one, for all involved. I have had a barrel replaced by PacNor, no problem. But, I didn't go back to the trough a second time (second replacment) for a third barrel . That would probably test the good nature of those fine folks at PacNor.

As well as their willingness to stand behind their product. But I bet their barrels seldom come back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The barrel was not messed up by anyone. It simply was a barrel incapable of accuracy. LW chambered and crowned it with the same lame accuracy results, except worse.

Let me ask you what was the profile of this barrel? Was it a hunting provide or was it a heavy match.

BTW That 80-81 grains of 860-872 is too much and do you know that Hodgdon does not give data for military surplus powders? Who do you think makes that 872? Both those powder burn extremely hot. Pushing that much powder through a 264 would make the barrel very very hot from the powder burn alone. It doesn't surprise me that it had fire cracking in the bore. I filled my 264 case up with those powder and 81 grains comes to the base of the neck....too much powder, too much heat, too much of the powder getting blown into the bore before igniting, too much powder abrasiveness on the throat.

I'm now understanding your quest for high velocity from the 264 Win Mag. Before I suggested the 6.5/284 for better barrel life and less powder. Now I suggest why don't you just build a 257 Weatherby Mag?