Tools

Question about stock layout.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
yeah, this is one that has transformed into one of those where everybody is trying to claim their _ _ _ _ is bigger. Just be happy you can still pee. pissers

Yes it was fun fishing reeling him in, gaffing and hauling him up on the deck to be turned into “Slab” Cut (as opposed to “Quarter”) Toro for the more discriminating!

Did not even have to get into the next level of interesting facts – keeping those in the hip pocket coffee until needed as they say.

Where is my WASABI!!!!!
Mad

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
Where is Rodney King when you need him ?

From the Wikipedia entry "Rodney King" [citations omitted] - warning - it's not pretty (kinda like this thread):

King was awarded $3.8 million in a civil case and used some of the proceeds to start a hip hop music label, Straight Alta-Pazz Recording Company.

On 29 November 2007, while going home King claimed to have been shot in the face, arms, back and torso with birdshot by two thieves attempting to steal his bicycle. Police were unable to find any suspects or witnesses and his injuries were described as not life-threatening.

Like his father, King is an alcoholic. In 1993, he entered an alcohol rehabilitation program and was placed on probation after crashing his vehicle into a block wall in downtown Los Angeles. In July 1995, he was arrested by Alhambra police, who alleged that he hit his wife with his car, knocking her to the ground. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail after being convicted of hit and run. On August 27, 2003, King was arrested again for speeding and running a red light while under the influence of alcohol. He failed to yield to police officers and slammed his SUV into a house, breaking his pelvis.

In May 2008 King checked into the Pasadena Recovery Center in Pasadena, California, which was filmed as part of the second season of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, which premiered in October 2008. Dr. Drew Pinsky, who runs the facility, showed concern for King's lifestyle and said that King would die unless his addiction was treated. He also appeared on Sober House, a Celebrity Rehab spin-off focusing on a sober living environment, which aired in early 2009. Both shows filmed King's quest to not only achieve sobriety, but to reestablish a relationship with his family, which had been severely damaged due to his drinking.

During his time on Celebrity Rehab and Sober House, King worked not only on his addiction, but on the lingering trauma of the beating. He and Dr. Pinsky retraced his path from the night of his beating, eventually reaching the spot where it happened, the site of the Children's Museum of Los Angeles. King was asked to recount some of the details of the event. He recalled that the officers shouted to him from their car during the chase that they intended to beat and kill him as soon as he stopped; that when he did stop, he immediately lay on the ground and surrendered, begging the approaching officers "You don’t have to do this!" as he lay there motionless; that the shots with the Taser were all while he was already prone and compliant; and that the officers repeatedly taunted him during the beating, such as saying they were going to kill him and he should run away.

King won a celebrity boxing match against ex-Chester City (Delaware County, Pennsylvania) police officer Simon Aouad on Friday, September 11, 2009 at the Ramada Philadelphia Airport in Essington, Pennsylvania.

In 2009, King and other alumni of Celebrity Rehab appeared as panel speakers to a new group of addicts at the Pasadena Recovery Center, marking 11 months of sobriety for him. His appearance was aired in the third season episode "Triggers".

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
back to the stock layout.

While a q-sawn stock may be the optimum, I have used several slab, & rift sawn with good success. However, the layout of grain is NEVER to be ignored. It should run through the grip, not across it like in the RW&Blue broken stock pictured before. The color usually does not run parallel with the grain on rift or flat sawn. Look at the pores on the repaired stock that SDH posted. They run every direction. There's no way to tell without much closer detailed pics what direction the grain is running through the grip on KB's stock. My best guess is it goes from near the heel to the back of the trigger guard inlet. This goes across the grip, not through it. It should go from the toe to the receiver ring. Still can't tell without better pics.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Mr. Freeman is giving some VERY Bad Advice.

BTW how many baseball bats have you seen busted?
Why do they brand the label selectively on one side?

The stock shown above has very poor layout.
The stock shown below has nearly identical layout and is broken and super glued back together. I had nothing to do with it except to advise the client to trash it. He gave it to me to show others how bad wrist grain equates to broken stocks.
Another myth. Quarters sawn stock blanks are usually priced considerably less than flashy slab sawn blanks.

It is rather difficult to see excactly from this picture, as you only sees it from 1 side.
But to me it looks like this stock is commonly broken, from the picture it looks as if the breakline basically goes in a horizontal plane.
If SDH theory should be of any value, this slabsawn stock should have split in a vertical plane. Then the fractureline mostly should have been visible from the top and the bottom.

Basicaly a stockdesign is pretty square in all the part that is fragile, and therefor it doesnt matter mutch if it is flat, quater or rift sawn, as long as the basic grovthline is parralel to the shape.
The butstock is the only part that realy is effected (in theory) by the cut type. As it is basically rektangulare.
In practice it is of rittle relevance, as it is from a strength perspective way overdimentioned.

Basically all cut types will warp if not treated properly.
The quatersawn will warp up and down.
The slabsawn would warp from side to side.
The riftsawn would warp in apx 45 deg.

To SDH i can only recomend " Make a lot more of your beautifull stocks, and write a little less about it in the meantime. Then you might gather so mutch more expierence, that you becomes a little less salvaged Wink)

To DArcy, It is not fair to have that mutch real life expierence, and use it in a debate. It could be compared to doping Smiler BTW you make damed fine rifles

To the guy from LUXUS. Sometime you just bump into people (as the one that cut the blank up for knives) who actualy must have a extreme hard life, as everything is problems, and no solutions is to be found, unless served on a silverplatter.
I actualy think that my first week trainee would have found the obvious solution to simply lift the pattern in that pice of nice wood, so he would have avoided the center radial crack, witch is so common in 90 % of all logs.

Please never tell this to an artistic custom stockmaker, as he then would have no source left for usable wood.

To all of you guys.
Try to show a little more respect to each other. As many of you actualy are verry competent (some perhaps with a little large ego Wink)

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
On we go, despite the sad example of Rodney King. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
It is rather difficult to see excactly from this picture, as you only sees it from 1 side.
But to me it looks like this stock is commonly broken, from the picture it looks as if the breakline basically goes in a horizontal plane.
If SDH theory should be of any value, this slabsawn stock should have split in a vertical plane. Then the fractureline mostly should have been visible from the top and the bottom.

Why do you say that? Your last statement does not make any sense to me.

It seems to me that the pictured stock broke just as SDH said that Kabluewy's might break, owing to the horizontally oriented grain run out through the wrist.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
The cracked stock SDH presented looks to be crossgrained thru the wrist making it totally irrelevant to the discussion.

apples and oranges.

the stock kb showed is almost perfectly flat sawn.
the lines that some speak of as it "running out of the wrist" is completely wrong.
it is like topo lines on a map. the grip is reducing in radius much like a hill on a topo map.
thereby showing the lines.

for gods sake, look at the photos people.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the pictures. The grain runs out in the grip area on KB's stock just like the one SDH posted. The picture belongs here more so than all the antique stuff pictured because it's a perfect example of will happen to a stock built with a bad piece of wood.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:

Basicaly a stockdesign is pretty square in all the part that is fragile , and therefor it doesnt matter mutch if it is flat, quater or rift sawn, as long as the basic grovthline is parralel to the shape.
The butstock is the only part that realy is effected (in theory) by the cut type. As it is basically rektangulare.
In practice it is of rittle relevance, as it is from a strength perspective way overdimentioned.

Not true. The place most fragile and likely to break area is not the grip itself, but from the grip through the rear guard screw and the bolt handle notch. Think about how thin and trapezoidal the stock is on each side of the rear guard screw.

Pretty common for the stock to break across the grain at the bolt handle notch, then from the rear guard screw out through the grip.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel compelled to note on behalf of AR.com Management that any participants in this tread found swinging their dick with sufficient force so as to punch a hole through the sheetrock will be billed for repairs including custom matching of existing paint and/or wallpaper.

Now, as you were please popcorn pissers hammering nilly

quote:
Maybe we can keep this going as long as the Hein thread, Let everyone learn about good layout and other wise!!!

seasoned blanks and those that gots o much shit on the end you cant' even see the grain! but they crack when you clean it off.

Havin fun HOSS TATER?? wood collector, dont use em might crack!

I'll keep postin as long as you idiots want!
Get teh mop DArcy!! were gunna need it!

Wanna hear some stories i 've heard LOTS of wood hawk stories this week?

Jump in hear jergen we need some more nonsence!

BOSS david Mayer Hoss, one of my tdad calls says,'Yeh teh clown on the motor cycle!"

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe we can keep this going as long as the Hein thread, Let everyone learn about good layout and other wise!!!

seasoned blanks and those that gots o much shit on the end you cant' even see the grain! but they crack when you clean it off.

Havin fun HOSS TATER?? wood collector, dont use em might crack!

I'll keep postin as long as you idiots want!
Get teh mop DArcy!! were gunna need it!

Wanna hear some stories i 've heard LOTS of wood hawk stories this week?

Jump in hear jergen we need some more nonsence!

BOSS david Mayer Hoss, one of my tdad calls says,'Yeh teh clown on the motor cycle!"

Since you are a "Master Gunmaker" oh btw might post a picture of the book you are hawking on this thread---you shamelessly put it on all of the others LOL(notice you took it down why)? sofa.

Sorry I digress, have a proposition---You and not someone else with your OWN Equipment and your OWN Hands (you will be on your honor) build a rifle and then I will get one of my Smiths to do the same using the same requirements and we will see which one shoots better..

How about that for an offer and the person that can shoot the best score with IBS targets or NBRSA at 100yds or 1K or both for that matter gets to keep the others rifle. You name the weight limits and the caliber. You can bring whatever type of portable bench and rest you want to shoot off of.

What could be fairer than that? We will shoot at the Whittington Center (we both know people who can witness this) and then we will post pictures of the targets for all to see. Please build my new rifle from a “good blank” because I am very picky and would prefer a Krieger barrel Smiler.

Time to put up and---talk is cheap but money buys Whiskey!

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think both of you guys ought to quit while your behind.

You are probably right but he does not have the capability to do this so he will not take me up on it but I wish he would.

If he built it on his own I would probably keep the stock, pitch the tube and keep the action as a doner for another project.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:

Since you are a "Master Gunmaker"

You.... build a rifle and then I will get one of my Smiths to do the same using the same requirements and we will see which one shoots better..

SDH is a stock maker, not a gunmaker. And did you really not know that he is a member of the ACGG guild?

quote:
it is crystal clear why you were not admitted or ever will be admitted into the Guild

"Clown" about covers it.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Jason----yes he is at the same show I am at in January. Yes he is listed with an "S" by his name on the website. He is frequently referred to as a "Gunmaker" which is false I know that but he seems to like that title kind of like a guy wearing a fake Rolex.

Did take a while for someone to ask about the "Guild" comment and what that was about. Am waiting until some of the other things come to light but I am not going to bring them up on a public forum. He or someone else can.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SDH:
Slight case of the DWP last night.
I do apologize to the fellows who have stood up for my logic.
as for Mr.David Myer Hoss and Mr. Mark Steiner Guntoter. I will in the future refer to the both by either BOSS TATER or GUN HOSS, acting as representatives of Luxus Walnut.

Since they have so little experience with Stock Blank Layout. I thought it might be appropriate to republish some on my writing on the topic. I apologize in advance in the editing is not perfect. I've got several thousand words on the subject, so buckle your seat belt, get out the popcorn and enjoy!
Best,
Steven Dodd Hughes, Gunmaker
Ths story circa 1970's

GOOD WOOD

Don't think I'm being condescending when I remind the reader that a gunstock starts out as a tree. In this age of rifle stocks that begin life as a man-made spun fibers, or a petroleum by-product, it is good to remember our roots, so to speak.

In order to produce gunstock wood, the tree must be at least 30" in diameter at the butt and it's wood is so valuable that the woodcutter will dig out the root wad (the best part which is used for veneer) in addition to cutting the tree into sections. The stump and the trunk are debarked and sawn into slabs. Templates approximating the layout of a stock blank are traced on to the slabs - avoiding knots, cracks and bark inclusions - and the stock blanks band-sawn to shape.

The fellow that determines the initial layout of the planks is the one who makes or breaks the character and strength of the finished gunstock. If the blanks survive the drying process without checking, splitting or horribly warping, the stockmaker has the beginnings of the gunstock.
I categorically rejecting all other trees, except walnut, as suitable gunstock wood. The mass manufacturers can fool with beech and birch, the long-rifle builders can have all of the fiddleback maple and, as far as I'm concerned, the exotics (ebony, rosewood, cocobolo and so on) are only good for rifle tips and knife handles. Don't think this is the viewpoint of a wood snob, either or someone lacking imagination. You can brand me a traditionalist and should understand that I've personal experience with three species of maple, madrone, cherry and even curly ash as gunstock material.

There's the written word to back me up as well. Listen to what three gunmaking brothers had to say in their Espengarda Perfeyta, (The Perfect Gun) originally published in Portugal in 1717.
"There are various woods of which Stockmakers make Stocks, but all must choose Walnut, for it is the best, and possesses those qualities which make it more proper for being worked, and also for its security, this being what makes it more durable. It is light to handle, attractive by nature, and lastly it keeps straight, a singular quality for our purpose..."

(They are saying that the wood works well, is relatively hard for its weight and is dimensionally stable.)

After explaining why cherry, maple and Brazil wood (rosewood) are not so great, The authors goes on to state: "Thus only Walnut should be chosen, and from the heart of the timber, where are to be found the good qualities we have described."

The walnut used in Portugal at that time was most assuredly Juglans regia. We know this tree as the English walnut and it produces the thin-shelled nuts so popular during the holiday season. Regia is Latin for royal which certainly describes the nut and the wood, if not the tree itself.

The trees are typically short, gnarly and slow growing. It is the last tree to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop its leaves in the fall. The fruit, or nut, is sheathed in a spongy green case that will stain any driveway, porch or car hood it lands on. The fruit and bark have been used as a pigment dye for centuries. Whenever I work with English walnut for a few hours, my hands take on a purplish cast that takes days to wear off.
("Stockmaker's stains" easily recognized at the Custom Gun Show as an indication of last-minute work.)

More tomorrow.

I also would like to point out that last nights rant was caused by getting fed up by slanderous, cowardly and childish name calling and insinuations by Mr. Hoss Tater and I'm not going to take it anymore. Anymore of this will be immediately returned in kind. Again I apologize to those with tender ears or sensibilities.

It seems that you have left out one of the if not the the most dimensionally stable wood out there. Is there a reason for that or are you just not familiar with it? BTW I love the rants but you look like a pretty calm and nice individual contrary to what I have been told.[URL= ][IMG]QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The trees are typically short, gnarly and slow growing. It is the last tree to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop its leaves in the fall. The fruit, or nut, is sheathed in a spongy green case that will stain any driveway, porch or car hood it lands on. The fruit and bark have been used as a pigment dye for centuries. Whenever I work with English walnut for a few hours, my hands take on a purplish cast that takes days to wear off.
("Stockmaker's stains" easily recognized at the Custom Gun Show as an indication of last-minute work.)
The purplish colour is basically not stain from the walnut, but a chemical reaction caused by the tannin/pyrogallol (acid) reacting with steel. It is in some circles known as a cemical stain. Some mfg uses the tecknique to satin sapwood. First priming the wood with Tannin, and after a period of drying, then apply an reactant, depending of the colour you want. (caliumdicromat gives you a brownish colour. Amonium gives you a golden/yellow. Iron gives you a purplish) The advantage of chemical staining ower pigmentstaining is that pigments only deposits at the surface, while chemical stain makes the wood itself change colour. It is actualy mutch of the same that originaly happened when the tree itself developed coluors in the hardwoodMore tomorrow.

I also would like to point out that last nights rant was caused by getting fed up by slanderous, cowardly and childish name calling and insinuations by Mr. Hoss Tater and I'm not going to take it anymore. Anymore of this will be immediately returned in kind. Again I apologize to those with tender ears or sensibilities. How is it actually possible to return ones own behawier??, i guess that you ar clearly ahead in that game

You also tells that many roots has been doug up. Where do you have this tale from. Most walnut trees i'we seen, looses every bit of coluor in the root, and mostly reacts as the poorest sapwood. (it actually also has the same purpose: transport of water and nutrition for the growth of the tree)

About your reaction:
You obvious is not used to be chalanged on your somtime rather oneeyed statements. Insetad of feeling threadent by people with other and sometime way larger expierence, try to argue, instead of react as a cornered person.
People who you actually insult werry directly, actually accept your artistic skills, even questioning your wolumebase for gathering expierince.
No matter how manny years you do 3-10 marsterpices, you would never reach the same base for gathering woodknowledge as persons producing and seeing thousands of stock every year.
Maybe your largest chalange is the shift from Monolog to Dialog. (writing books and displaying = Monolog Internet discussion often = Dialog. But sadly it oftens turn into Shouting. I belive that the human anatomy has a tendence to close manny ears, when opening a mouth)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boss

I am not sticking up for SDH, but don't you think you are getting just a bit neurotic here. Three posts in a row! You aren't going to change SDH and he isn't going to change you.
Moreover, neither of you controls or causes the other's emotions. Instead, you each have control of your own reaction to the other person's words. So, instead of acting neurotic, why not choose to let this go, because it isn't doing a damn thing for either one of you except to make you both look like fools.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason----yes he is at the same show I am at in January. Yes he is listed with an "S" by his name on the website. He is frequently referred to as a "Gunmaker" which is false I know that but he seems to like that title kind of like a guy wearing a fake Rolex.

Did take a while for someone to ask about the "Guild" comment

Yeah, quite a while. All of an hour and 44 minutes....

quote:
Posted 13 April 2010 08:01 Hide Post
Well I was wrong you did accomplish something else--it is crystal clear why you were not admitted or ever will be admitted into the Guild shame.

quote:
Posted 13 April 2010 09:45 Hide Post

quote:
it is crystal clear why you were not admitted or ever will be admitted into the Guild

Which Guild are you referring to?

Jason

Hey Mr. Clown, do you wear big red shoes when you ride that v8 bike?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This whole discussion is as clear as mud.

Rule #1: Don't use too much jargon.

If someone could clear this up I'd surely appreciate it. Pictures would be needed.

1) What is cross grain?
2) How can you tell which direction the grain is flowing in a slab sawn blank?
3) What is grain run out?
4) The picture of the stock broken though the wrist shows me nothing. There is nothing I see in the pic the explains why it seems to have broken?
5) The stock broken through the wrist looks nothing like the intitial stock in question.
6) After we figure out what the heck grain run out means what is the problem with this condition?
7) Some bats break in the handle and some shatter, I have no idea what point this proves or disproves.
8) Laminate stocks are the strongest and are aligned like slab sawn but slab sawn wood isn't the strongest cut?
9) Flat sawn is the same as slab sawn?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead, you each have control of your own reaction to the other person's words. So, instead of acting neurotic, why not choose to let this go, because it isn't doing a damn thing for either one of you except to make you both look like fools.

I believe we have 3 world class gun builders who post on this forum. All three of them make their living solely from their gun work and have done so for a long time. All three are pretty successful and have been able to do things like hunt in Africa.

All three have something else in common: they have gotten into big dirty pissing matches here on AR.

Does that make them fools? Trust me, no "fool" has ever made it for decades as a world renown gunbuilder.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
This whole discussion is as clear as mud.

Rule #1: Don't use too much jargon.

If someone could clear this up I'd surely appreciate it. Pictures would be needed.

1) What is cross grain? Grain that run "across" instead of "through". Pretty self explanitory.
2) How can you tell which direction the grain is flowing in a slab sawn blank? Look at the pores.
3) What is grain run out? Grain that "runs out" the top or side, instead of running "through" from one end to the other. Caused by a cross grain situation.
4) The picture of the stock broken though the wrist shows me nothing. There is nothing I see in the pic the explains why it seems to have broken? Which stock are you talking about?
5) The stock broken through the wrist looks nothing like the intitial stock in question. Both are slab sawn with less than ideal grain flow.
6) After we figure out what the heck grain run out means what is the problem with this condition? Wood breaks (separates/splits) easier with the grain than it does across the grain
7) Some bats break in the handle and some shatter, I have no idea what point this proves or disproves. Notice the bat in question split about 8" along the grain instead of breaking 1" across the grain. This illustrates that wood is far stronger across the grain than it is with the grain.
8) Laminate stocks are the strongest and are aligned like slab sawn but slab sawn wood isn't the strongest cut? Most stable, yes. "Strongest" is somewhat situational. It is similar to comparing plywood to solid wood. And not all laminates are positioned vertically, but this is the most common because the resultion stock is less plain.
9) Flat sawn is the same as slab sawn?Yes

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

I believe we have 3 world class gun builders who post on this forum.

they have gotten into big dirty pissing matches here on AR.

Does that make them fools? Trust me, no "fool" has ever made it for decades as a world renown gunbuilder.

OK Jason, I get it that you don't agree with the choice of the word "fools". If that isn't the best choice of word, then substitute your own word to describe how it looks. I'm quite surprised at the intensity and nastiness of some of the "pissing", especially from "world class gun builders", as you say. It has a character and tone to it that causes me a loss of words to describe, probably because part of the puzzel is missing for those of us who are not "insiders" in the business.

About the best way to describe it that I can think of is: If dueling was legal as a spectator sport, then that may have some redeming quality, otherwise the pissing match is merely disgusting to observers. It's not anywhere as much fun to watch as cage fighting or a good boxing match.

No matter how you look at it, some of the stuff in here looks like world class egos at work too, with low class communication and courtesy skills. I get the impression that there is a lot of bad history between some of these guys, that is rolled forward, rather than forgiven and forgotten.

Also, I'm more surprised by the big names in the business that posted in this discussion. That's cool. I'm just beginning to understand and appreciate who these folks really are, who participate here in AR. It's rather impressive.

I did notice some posts were very on-point and reasonable and curtious and had class, and those are the posts I have been reading. From those posts, basically there has been enough info to learn a lot. The others I've mostly ignored.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
My part in this matter has concluded---SDH made some decisions that were poorly thought out shall we say and the thread as it existed a few hours ago has been preserved. Just remember Mr. Steven Dodd Hughes posted what he did and no one else. Any violation of the intellectual property rights owned by Luxus were made exclusively by Mr. Hughes – you see this as with any type of negotiation the first person who gets emotional almost always loses because they make bad decisions. Unfortunately for Mr. Hughes he has made some big ones and is contemplating the extent of the ramifications associated with his writings when this matter is fully vetted.

Due to recent developments the following must be made clear: I have no financial connection to Luxus, its officers, employees, agents, suppliers, or subcontractors at any tier. My relationship is one of Buyer and Luxus as Seller who conduct arms length transactions in the normal course of doing business with respect to the goods and services Luxus offers for sale to the general public.

This will be my last post on the subject----SDH you of all people should be aware of what constitutes Libel especially when it involves the utilization of the Intellectual Property of the entity you are in fact Libeling. SDH knows his alligator mouth overloaded his hummingbird rear and edited it out of the post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy, In you post dated the 13th you mentioned sawing the blank down the middle and laminating a straight grained piece in the middle. Have you done this? If so how did it work out? I have only seen pictures of this technique on another site. It looks like it makes questionable wood into some fine looking stocks for benchrest and long range varminting. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
dwheels,
Actually that post had more than one purpose. In part I was joking, in part I was serious, in part it was for shock effect, and in part I was hopeing someone with real knowledge would bite. Big Grin

There is at least one major stock maker who actually does that sort of laminate, and charges a lot of money for his product. The pictures of those I've seen look darn good.

Not knowing any better, it looks and seems like a good idea to me, especially in dealing with a highly figured and cross grain piece. I don't see it being especially useful say on a great piece properly quarter sawn with good layout. But that's just intuition on my part.

In reality though, for the stock that was the basis for this post, I don't know whether I'll use it or not. In part it depends on what my gunsmith says. In part it depends on what I think of it when I can take a close look at it. I'll probably post some better pictures of it here. I just don't know right now. I may use it as a pattern, depending on how it feels, then sell it.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend is a pretty darn good gunsmith and stockmaker. He makes target rifles that compete with and at times beat the big names in benchrest. He does a lot of rimfire nowadays, but his centerfires are just as capable.

He makes a lot of laminants(sp) for two reasons mainly, the first is when making ultra-lightweight stocks for guns in classes with weight restrictions. He will typically uses butternut on the sides with walnut or hard maple down the center for strength/rigidity. The second reason he laminates is in the case of a stock blank not being thick enough to make a specific pattern, i.e. beavertail style forend or cheek piece.

He laminates the wood himself. This is not the typical 1/16" laminants thast you buy as blanks, but generally three piece glue togethers with 1/2"-3/4" glue ons to the sides of small blanks or down the center of the lightweight specie blanks.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://www.serengetirifles.com...ures/lamination.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH,
I have two of your books and I enjoy reading your articals. You ARE a master stock maker..no one can take that away from you...like you or not.

Luxus,
You have the most beautiful blanks I have ever seen, along with a great reputation.

An idea...Maybe Steven could restock one of my guns with a Luxus blank (all for free of course!) in the interest of peace??

Let me know...hey I'm just trying to make peace here!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
SDH you have got to be the biggest pion-ego maniac i have ever seen. you self destruction here has gone from comedy to an out right train wreck. you do not know when to stop.
have you no idea how damaging you are to your own self?

no one "reined me in" i have not even spoke to or emailed or pm'd afreeman.

if he did in fact do what you claim......good for him. you have attacked his business and his character.
you really should be put in check. you are what is wrong with this industry and humanity. you.

read his post above on page three or where ever it was. that is in case you do not recognize it.............CLASS.

there you go, if someone points it out to you maybe you can learn from it. you are like a dog that plays in his own shit.

go AWAY.

crawl back into you little head in your lonely little cabin in Livingston where you no doubt liken yourself to Hemingway.......ha!

i am semi retired at 53 years old, i am in the best shape of my life. i am an ex marine who has seen shit your small mind could not deal with.

i will see you around stevey

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
GOOD MORNING!
I see much has developed since yesterday!
Very happy to see Geoff's and other questions. And good answers from Jason Brown! We do tend to talk in jargon thinking everyone understands...

Mr HOSS & TATER, after each threatening me via PM have been reined in by Mr.AFreeman. MR.AFreeman (who began this entire nightmare by lashing out over a disagreement then sicking his dogs on me) attempted to discredit me with longtime business associates who know me to be honest and forthright and blew him off. Rather cowardly and despicable behavior in my opinion.

How about Part II of GOOD WOOD?
(This material if from the 1990's. You will note Maurice Ottmar and Ed Preslik mentioned here. Both deceased, Maurice was at that time the most widely experience stocker I knew and Ed the most respected dealer in California English walnut.)

Different sources show English walnut native to the Middle East, India and Circassia - the legendary name for the finest gunstock wood, Circassian walnut. And history points out that the easily transportable nuts were likely brought to Italy, Spain, France and England by the Moors and the so called Crusaders.

In the older gun texts are reference to each of these countries as the source for gunstock wood with different working qualities. I prefer to continue the tradition of naming the wood by its point of origin. Today J. regia is cut for gunstocks and imported to the US from Morocco, Turkey, France, New Zealand, and California. Hence the term "California English walnut". For the sake of convenience, I'll refer to the wood by the common name for the nut, English walnut.
As for the "royal" qualities of the wood, I've already pointed out that for at least 300 years English walnut has been the pick of the professional stockmaker. The wood has moderately long fibers that give it good shear strength, yet small enough pores for a smooth and uniform finished surface. Maple has short fibers and is more likely to break through a thin-wristed stock. (Oak and hickory have long, flexible fibers that make excellent hammer handles but the pores are so open that it is difficult to achieve a perfect surface finish.)
English walnut is hard enough that it works extremely well with edge tools (chisels, gouges, knives) yet soft enough that it doesn't immediately wear the edge off the tool as sugar, or rock, maple will. When an edge tool catches the long grain, walnut is not so prone to splitting with the grain as the more fibrous wood.

Walnut cuts very cleanly which allows precise inletting without crushing, chipping or breaking away at a hard corner. Compare with other woods it is average for hardness, shear strength, shock resistance, dimensional stability and weight. The important fact is that the wood is average in all aspects, without extremes in any category.

To my eye, the one quality that sets English walnut apart from all other woods is its unsurpassed beauty. Again, I'm not alone in my thinking that it is the most beautiful wood in the world. Jaguar dashboards, book-match veneer on the classiest furniture and the finest gunstocks; that's where you'll find English walnut. Show me another wood that regularly commands $250 a board foot.

The base color of English walnut varies from a golden-yellow to nearly chocolate-brown, with a whole range of reddish tones in between. It's most distinctive color characteristic is black streaking that has been described as swirling, smoke lines and marbling. Certain cuts from certain trees will yield fiddleback or feather-crotch figure. When high-graded for gunstock blanks, it is all beautiful and all different - explaining why it is extremely difficult to find a matched pair of English walnut blanks anytime, anywhere.

Gunmaker Maurice Ottmar, of Coulee City Washington, has been using English walnut of various origins for more years that he cares to admit so I asked him to describe his experiences with the different woods. Each of these is Juglans regia as it has been planted for nuts and then harvested for gunstock wood the world over.

New Zealand: Wood from the North Island is generally lighter in weight and less dense than wood from the South Island. It all cuts, carves and checkers well. Some will be so darkly marbled that the streaking almost blacks out the background color.

Australia: The wood is hard, heavy, and dense and it works and checkers well. The colors are more subdued and running to grey tones requiring staining. Fiddleback and figure are fairly common.

Morocco: Flatter in color and not as pretty as others - especially when kiln dried. Air-dried wood works well although it all seems more brittle than others.

Turkey: This one is multi-colored, with a great variety running from honey to chocolate with red tones as well. Ottmar calls this the Queen Mother of wood. It works extremely well and is the closest to true Circassian. Ottmar had the opportunity to build several gunstocks from Circassian walnut many years ago but hasn't seen any since. That wood came from southern Russia and I expect some will be imported before long.
France: Works extremely well. Generally a reddish background color and not as marbled or contrasty as others. The black streaking is not generally as pronounced but the blanks are often quarter-sawn. (I must inject that one of my California suppliers swears that he sell several hundred green blanks for export to France each year and that he is sure that some come back into this country labeled "French walnut".)

California: This wood has a honey to very yellow background color with tones from a light reddish-brown to almost grey-green. It has high contrast, often with pitch-black marbling. Working qualities vary considerably, partially depending on the method of drying. Good wood.
In my opinion, regardless of where it was grown or what color or figure the wood has, high-grade English walnut will work better, finish finer and look prettier than any of the other walnut species used for gunstocks.

There are three other walnut trees that are regularly cut for stock blanks in this country; Black Walnut (Juglans nigra), Claro walnut (Juglans hindsii) and Bastogne walnut which is an English/Claro hybrid.

If English walnut is the "Queen Mother" then black walnut is the "working man" of gunstock wood. The trees are found throughout the Eastern US. Although they are quite hearty, black walnut trees won't be found north of the Great Lakes or along the Gulf Coast. Missouri has been the center of the black walnut gunstock trade for decades. The trees are large and leafy and I find them quite beautiful. The nuts are small and hard to crack and I don't know of anyone that eats them.

Black walnut is used for more gunstocks than all of the other species combined. Of course the vast majority of these stock are on factory guns. The wood is a dark reddish brown in color with some pieces running towards pink and some to almost maroon. Occasionally, dark mineral streaking will be found in the wood, but radical figure is much more common. Black walnut is highly prized for its crotch grain blanks. Although fiddleback black walnut is less common than curly maple, many choice blanks can be had if one prefers this figure.

The term "figure" as used to describe wood refers to the luminescent cross-grain most commonly seen as fiddleback or feather-crotch grain. One look at the back of a violin is all that is necessary to recognize the cross-grain stripes of fiddleback. If you look at the stripes of fiddleback in good light, then tilt the blank, one stripe will disappear and two stripes adjacent will appear, much like a hologram.

"Tiger stripe" and "curly" are popular terms for fiddleback maple. Although this figure is found in many types of wood, I've never seen a satisfactory explanation of why one tree will have it and the one growing next to it won't. I do know that a good fiddleback tree may have this grain all the way out to the tiniest branches.

Crotch, or feather-crotch, grain appears in the tree at the joint of a large limb or root. With a similar luminesces as fiddleback, the "feather" radiates through the wood like a large plume. If the root or limb is large enough to span three blanks, the middle blank will show the feather on both sides while the other two will be "one-sided".

Without English walnut as a comparison, black walnut could be the top-rated stock wood. An exceptional blank will be as hard, but probably more brittle, brash and open pored than English. Black walnut is more likely to chip, splinter or crush when inletting and the open pores make it much more of a chore to finish properly. Black walnut is heavier per cubic unit and not quite as seasonally stable as its European counterpart.

More Tommorrow!

I am sorry that I have to do this because I said this would be my last post on this thread. If SDH will agree to it I will gladly post the PM I sent along with his Unbelievable response. Well Steve—how about it we can just put it out there and let everyone be the judge?

When someone outright lies about something and to make matters worse I have the exchange saved. Steve you have until noon central time today to either retract your comment specifically as it relates to me or I will post the PM. I normally do not post a PM but this will be an exception and as you know all too well a lot of people are watching what you have been posting.

Now how about my book???? Even if you are unsavory I still would like a copy autographed please..

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
SDh i just noticed that you are a charlatan too. a full on hypocrite............you have gone back and modified some of your previous posts.
some one must have "reined you in". huh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH,

Thanks for the very useful posting on stockwoods.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever know a guy who had a lot of money who thought when he bought something he bought the respect of the individual who made the object? Thought he bought the trophies won by that fellow thinking that somehow made him important and didn't realize all the show-of stuff was obvious to all? All he had was a gun.
I guess HOSS-TATER WANT TO KEEP THIS GOING...

BTW: This was written with shotgun stocks as a focus. Thought I'd finish out this section, tommorrows will be realy juicy, advice for those who want to choose their own blanks!

Claro walnut is native solely to California and much is cut for gunstocks. About half of the Parker Reproduction stocks are Claro (the other half English) and many Weatherby stocks are made from Claro walnut. This wood is very attractive, running the gamut of colors from honey-yellow to reds and browns - often showing all of these colors in the same blank. But it is generally softer, more open pored and lighter in weight than English walnut. (Translate that to read: More difficult to work, takes more time to finish and won't hold checkering as well.)

The notion of "checkering well" is one of the stockmaker's best judgements of wood quality. The harder, denser and more closely pored the wood, the finer line checkering it will take. I remember a Browning stock that I was asked to remove the factory checkering from and recut with a fancier pattern. The wood was clearly Claro and, as a test, I put my thumbnail up against one of the rather course diamonds. It popped right off into outer space which was a pretty good indication of soft and brittle wood. I wound up recutting the existing 20 lpi pattern, which fuzzed and chipped continually as I worked on it. Cutting 26 lpi checkering was futile as the diamonds would have broken off readily.

In contrast, I just finished checkering a semi-pistol grip and semi-beavertail forend for a Fox project. The wood was an extremely high-quality piece of California English. Checkering around the edge of the round knob grip is always a challenge because the wood pores change from edge-grain to end-grain. Around the apex of the curve the tool-to-wood surface angle changes dramatically as well. Because this stock was very dense, the checkering cutter could be controlled so that it didn't dig into the wood.
This particular checkering pattern had extensive coverage with borders and ribbons separating different panels of diamonds. With any lesser quality wood the checkering job would have been an exercise in frustration. As it was an exceptional stick of walnut, the process was time consuming but enjoyable to accomplish. The finished results offer a good 24 lpi. gripping surface, enhancement of the gun's overall lines as well as applied decoration to visually please the eye. And the diamonds are not likely to break off or wear excessively as the gun is used.

Claro makes a beautiful gunstock and if one is not fanatical about filling the pores and doesn't expect ultra-fine checkering it has its own particular beauty. Bastogne walnut on the other hand, often provides the glitz of stockdom.

Popular gun mythos has the Bastogne name coming from the bastardization, or hybridization, of the English and Hinds walnut trees. Bastone trees do not bear fruit and are only planted a few to an orchard for pollination purposes. If you see a blank of West Coast wood that has so much fiddleback that you'd have to push one stripe off of the front to add another on the butt, chances are it is Bastogne walnut. (The same description for Eastern wood means black walnut.)

Bastone is generally heavier, denser and harder than Claro walnut and is preferred by stockmakers in the know. Because of the multi-colors (Bastone has the same variety as Claro but is darker brown) and the magnificent fiddleback, both Claro and Bastogne are attractive to the uninitiated. (You get much fancier wood per dollar than you do with English.) But almost anyone who has made a half-dozen stocks from either wood will pick a plainer English blank over all but the very best of the others.

Do not ever post PM’s but in this case it seems that this will show the extent that this poor man has melted down. He has been revising the posts he made but still insists on moving forward continuing the hypocrisy he represents. Unfortunately this will be something that all of his industry peers/publishers and customers will see and can then make their own judgments as to SDH’s cognitive abilities. Most already have an opinion of him and that is readily transparent in other areas of this thread.

Steve it is never a good idea to put something in writing and them make a contradictory statement in writing that can be Easily Verified. Again for the record I am not being directed in any way shape form or fashion by any entity associated with Luxus Walnut. Steven---sit down and think what you are doing to yourself!!
diggin

THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

PMs are kept on our server for 12 months.

Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums Personal Zone Private Messaging Gunstock Thread
Go Tools Reply

Personal Zone
»
Member Directory

THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS
»
The Accurate Reloading Chat Rooms
»

Buddies

Ignore List

Groups

Permissions

Private Messaging

Notifications

Preferences

Favorites

More...

Printer Friendly Format

Close

Delete

Exit Topic

Help

Welcome, Boss Hoss [Logout]

Host: Boss Hoss 1 participant

Boss Hoss

Posted 15 April 2010 09:00
Steven---would suggest just letting this one go at this point for the good of everyone concerned. As I said earlier I have no agenda with this and was just having fun watching you display your emotions and have a meltdown because you treated Adam Freeman disrespectfully. Never thought you would post some of the things you did and possibly put yourself in harm’s way. Did not think what I was told about you was completely accurate about your personality however, in retrospect it was.

I will not be making any further posts on that particular thread as it will serve no purpose to the actions going forward.

Regards,

David

SDH

Posted 15 April 2010 09:44 Hide Post

Fuckj yo nmuthatfucikign idiot. dont' ever show your face to me as it will be reafrraainged yo9u are the wrst kigd of asshole and i have no intension of quitting theis messy shit you started
im sure adam put the sprs to you because he couldn[t chickne shit me you fucking asshole
read on i'm going to tell em all about stock wood

Ignored post by SDH posted 15 April 2010 09:44
Show Post

Boss Hoss

Posted 15 April 2010 09:56 Hide Post

quote:
Fuckj yo nmuthatfucikign idiot. dont' ever show your face to me as it will be reafrraainged yo9u are the wrst kigd of asshole and i have no intension of quitting theis messy shit you started
im sure adam put the sprs to you because he couldn[t chickne shit me you fucking asshole
read on i'm going to tell em all about stock wood

Does this mean that I am not going to get an autographed book??? Seriously I would still like to read it. Look this was all in good fun and you have no sense of humor.

Ok but at least start a new thread.

Ignored post by Boss Hoss posted 15 April 2010 09:56
Show Post