Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest bear I ever seen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Trigger Steve
posted
The following picture is of a guy who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting about a year ago when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm mag semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.
The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12′ 6″ high at the shoulder, 14′ to the top of his head. It’s the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.
Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep the big guy as a trophy. Instead, the bear was stuffed, mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist’s of the risks involved when in the wild).
Based on the contents of the bear’s stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff. The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker’s 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol were the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear’s dead body) it only wounded the bear – and probably angered it. The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear’s own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.
Think about this. If you are an average size man; you would be level with the bear’s belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.

these is without a doubt the biggest bear that I have ever seen and I would definitely not want to be stuck in the forest with one of these buggers around.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you guys from alaska might want to take this one Eeker

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is a fake, been around for several years.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
this is a fake, been around for several years.

The story is fake, but that's still a monster of a bear (although not as big as described).

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/giantbear.htm

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad, as a young man in Alaska over 50 years ago, found himself between a she-bear and her cubs. I don't remember exactly how that obtained, but I believe the story my dad tells me. He says the she-bear got really angry and reared up on her hind legs right in front of him. He had a .38 but didn't use it because he says it would just have made the bear even more mad. About the time it looked like curtains for my 22 or 23 year-old not-yet dad, the cubs did something that distracted her and she quit with my dad. She chased the cubs into the woods and they were gone. My dad tells stories of many things he and his buds did back in those days. They hunted and shot everything. Game was plentiful in those days (1953-1956). You could go anywhere, shoot anything and there were no limits on how many you could harvest...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trigger Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on this story being fake. I thought that this was a little far fetched. Its still a cool story. would of been cooler if it was real.

Glad your dad made it. That must have been a terrifying encounter.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the bear was real,alright,but the story,is not.I read the story somewhere online a few years ago,maybe here on AR,I dont remember anymore.I think the gentle man in the pictures is a game warden or state employee.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Story used to be on snopes.com

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of profyhunter
posted Hide Post
Its great story clap

Phon: +498419819241
Fax: +498419819245
http://www.hunt-club-taiga.de/index.php

Posts: 556 | Location: Germany Kazakstan Kyrgyzstan | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
That story is total BS. Here's what really happened.

This guy:

Saw this:

And at the same time, this guy:

Saw this:

The both of them, panicky and confused, headed for the beach, when they were viciously attacked by this bear:

But in a strange twist of fate, this lady ran out of the bushes:

As all parties concerned knew no one would believe the real story, the bear, the bacon bra gal, Buckwheat and Quint hooked up with this guy:

And over beers at the local greasy spoon, shared a few of these:

Now you know the truth. The pics in the first post are photoshopped.

You're welcome.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, now its finally starting to make some sense.
Thanks to KG for setting us straight.

Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all might be interested to know the story of the big bear in question made it on cable TV on the History channels "Monster Hunt" show in a episode about abnormaly big bears in AK, on how they might be bears left over from the last ice age.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bear is a real 10 footer and it was shot by the young military man in the picture in October while him and his buddy were hunting deer on Montague Island in Prince William Sound. He was shooting a .338 Win. Mag. As they were walking on a stream the bear walked towards them and if memory serves me correctly the first shot at very close range hit the bears head and the young hunter was wise enough to keep shooting. It was a big bear for any where in Alaska, especially Montague Island. Any time a hide squares over 10' with out stretching and has a 29" or better skull you are talking big bears. It is to bad someone had to take a real Alaskan big bear story and screw it up. The story was also printed in the Anchorage Daily News. And there ya have it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Minor correction....
Bear was killed on Hinchinbrook Island, not Montague Island.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap TJ. Thanks for catching that. You are correct, it was Hinchinbrook and not Montague Island. This getting old and forgetful is hard on me!

posted Hide Post
Nice paw!
Here's another.

Posts: 3 | Location: P.E.I., Canada | Registered: 16 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bear was shot by two Airforce guys stationed outside of the air base near anchorage a few years back, they where stalking up a creek on one of the islands when they spotted it, it was shot dead by multiple shots from a 338 and 300 before the bear knew they where there. It was a big bear but as I recalled was around 10' squared. Here is a link with multiple stories on the bear kill
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote