Find
Notify
Tools

Holding over Vs Dialing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just south of you in Nuevo Mexico.

We should meet in Raton sometime. You'd have fun.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
We will-Buddy Eric and i have talked about it for quite some time and we will make it a point to get down there this year. When we do we'll hook up somehow.

Tell u what when that 900-yd. coyote fell over dead i about fell over myself. He now resides right behind me on the side of my bookshelf--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess i oughtta' post some pics of some of the reticles i've played with--

TK Lee 3 MOA reticle system--

Another TKL. 3 MOA system--

TKL 3 MOA vertical 4 MOA windage--

4-12x Burris Mini plex reticle system (2.7 MOA subtensions at 12x) for coyotes on a 17 Fireball XP-100 handgun. Killed several coyotes at ~300 in 10 mph and less windage with this rig--

The finest reticle-ranging subtension system i have at .2 mil providing ~.02 mil rangefinding accuracy--

My favorite LR reticle adaptable to any trajectory PFI 22 Long Rifle RR-

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only guy who has used a Horus grid system?

That works, although it is really busy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who has a Horus. He holds over for everything and does well. It works because it is busy and has plenty of windage aimpoints for precision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just purchased the Raptor--looking forward to playing with it.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend just got the Vortex HD 5-20? 35mm tube illuminated "TMR" style reticle with a really cool -0- stop knob system.

I like the reticle better than Leupold's TMR. It has no pickets. The reticle spans edge to edge. It is also numbered so no confusion or counting mil graduations. Like the TMR, on the reticle ends, the mil is marked in tiny graduations for ranging. This one's better than the TMR's .2 mil graduations. It's broken down all the way to .1 mil for accuracy.

A hell of a scope but 2500$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing how a small change in competition rules complety changes the behavior of the participant, you get a feeling for which works when.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Seeing how a small change in competition rules complety changes the behavior of the participant, you get a feeling for which works when.

bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Muggies, I was mixing threads.
That was a reference to your exchange with GSSP in the VX3 thread.

At our two local sniper/tactical matches we have each month, have COF where multiple steel at varying distances in random order must not only be hit but with least amount of time weighing in on the final score. With either my NP-R1 (1 MOA hash marks) or NP-R2 (2 MOA hash marks) Nightforce reticles I can hit upto 5 different targets within about 20-25 seconds. Dialing each distance takes me upwards of 1 minute. Distances upto 647 yds.

Alan

vs

GSSP,

I'm talking mainly about the Sporting Rifle Match. You have 4 minutes to lay down and kill 6 targets from 200 to 900 yards on each station.

I shoot tactical/precision as well and stages are designed where holding over and under with a midrange -0- is an advantage.

Yet some of the best I know only dial.

I think you need to be comfortable with both and know when to use either for best results.

In your competition, with 4 minutes to hit 6 targets, one shot per target, highest score wines, everyone dials.

With Alan's competition, where fastest time win, no one dials.

Imagine shooting both of those competitions, back to backs in the same day....

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's called precision/tactical

There are stages for everything and that's what Allen is talking about. I shoot one a month. All stages are timed and with some holding over/under with an intermediate -0- is how you do it.

Just got done shooting steel at 419, 805, and 1045 yards. Did a mil hold over/under exercise where I -0-ed at the 805 target, held under the 419 3.5 Mils and over the 1045 3 Mils.