Notify
Tools

Holding over Vs Dialing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Thanks MFD, that's a vary useful post.

An Ipad is a tablet computer with a touch screen that one would be mad to take hunting.

Your ready reckoner on the other hand, is rather bloody useful.

I hunt a lot stuff with a 180 grain bullet out of an 06, i'll have a crack at that next weekend and report back with my results.

REgards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Those winds that could almost be head or tail winds but are not are frequently the ones that throw you by a long way.

A man after my own heart...I would rather have a strong crosswind than a wind gusting from 5 oclock to 7, even if it is much weaker.

I just got back from the desert for a long range shooting session specifically because it is windy today. But the wind was pretty much right to left.

I took out my .220 Swift; shoots 75 gr AMAX at 3200 fps. When I shot at 550 yards the wind was about 8 mph on my gauge, but when I notice I have to hold tight for the wind, it requires a lot of holdoff. I held 2 MOA into the wind and hit my 3 inch circle on the first shot. What luck!

I then took a poke at 700. I held between 3 and 5 MOA and hit 4 out of 5 times; one shot was noticeably higher and 6.5 inches right of center, but 4 of 5 were probably within 3 inches vertically and within 5 inches of my aiming point. The wind was a high as 10 mph on my anememoter. But wind three feet off the ground is going to be less than it is at six feet off the ground, and as RC has pointed out, when you shoot across a gap such as hill to hill, the wind will be even stronger.

I could see mirage for the most part, but it was pretty flat.

All my shots were fired sitting with a bipod.

For what it is worth, I find that temeperature affects drop much more than wind left/right or vice-versa. In fact, mirage has a bigger impact than the wind drop phenomenon IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, dialing is soooooo s-l-o-w

....and not as accurate Big Grin

jumping

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
For an alerted coyote--

1) yes

2) no

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you range a coyote accurately and he moves 20 yards either closer or further, you can still adjust your hold and be more accurate by dialing than holding over with a christmas tree and off in outer space down in a lower quadrant of the field of view of the scope. knife

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again you interpreted my response incorrectly.

...and if u mean this system of reticle application--

relative to this--

then i couldn't (or wouldn't) agree with you more. But that's not what you mean, and i know that, although you have admitted to applying reticles for just such a 340-yd. event as Zak Smith illustrates on his 1st shot.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did my best on the 6 word post.

Can you clarify?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But that's not what you mean, and i know that, although you have admitted to applying reticles for just such an event.

Yes, holding over with your mil reticle is great.

I have never shot at an animal with the VH style reticle, only steel plates out to 760. Like I've said before, after seeing how inaccurate they are, I'm glad I have turrets on the scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agreed that the 900+ yd. shot is better dialed (#2) but the 340-yd. shot could have been made and has been made by myself and hunting partner much faster (1/3rd to 1/2 the time) by applying an accurately calcd. reticle system like those i've detailed.

RC, do u hunt coyotes?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
quote:
But that's not what you mean, and i know that, although you have admitted to applying reticles for just such an event.

Yes, holding over with your mil reticle is great.

I have never shot at an animal with the VH style reticle, only steel plates out to 760. Like I've said before, after seeing how inaccurate they are, I'm glad I have turrets on the scope.

U mean how inaccurate the system of application u detailed is--right?

If u're saying that holding off with a mil. reticle is more accurate than holding off with the VH or similar reticle that i detailed above then your blatantly incorrect especially when applying windage. It's obvious that that's not true.

Whatever reticle has the smaller subtension will be the most accurate--of which a std. mil reticle (not .5 mil) is a bit less accurate than the VH reticle until the subtension gets larger.

RC, it's obvious that your application of subtension is less accurate than it could be and if you were to put some more research into the application of them it may help some--admittedly less accurate than dialing but accurate enough to intermediate ranges.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
I said that the 900+ yd. shot is better dialed (#2) but the 340-yd. shot could have been made and has been made much faster (1/3rd to 1/2 the time) by applying an accurately calcd. reticle system like those i've detailed.

I completely agree

RC, do u hunt coyotes?

I'm a coyote calling nut. I've shot them from 5 yards (I didn't dial Big Grin) out to 934

one of us
posted Hide Post
When Ernie Bishop and i competed at the ITRC he made 8 shots in a row on 8" silhouettes at 785 yds, using reticle only and it worked for us well enough to place close to the 50th percentile with specialty pistols only.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too-

...combination reticle/turret

Hey where is that country BTW? CO?

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd quit my job if I could make as much shooting and calling as I do working.

Don't tell my boss! me Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here, here!

Steve