New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big White Possum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
in one of my traps so i kept it since it looked sort of unusual. I thought it was special but my mom said it might just be old?

I usually feel sorry for possums though on account of their looks and turn them loose if possible.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They've been around for many thousands of years ,a real survivor.Can carry rabies.Will eat just about anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i know, but i was wondering if anyone knows how common it is for them to be allmost completely white and if that is a color variation or if it is because it is an old one.

Penny

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
My guess is you are correct--the older ones tend to get lighter in color. Certainly the younger ones seem darker.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a few over the years that were almost solid white in color. It's not rare.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have skinned the greasy old thing, then. Oh well.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

Have it tanned, possum fur is so beautiful, for such an ugly animal! I have some pelts and plan to make a set of comfy ear muffs out of them.

Make a useful project out of yours, heck, winter I am sure brings some cold wind your way.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good idea. Have it tanned. Maybe a set of ATV mitts, too would have to have a pattern though.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

Possum are one of the prettiest furs once cleaned & brushed. The skin is very fragile though - thin as paper like rabbit. Getting all the fat and flesh scrapped off without tearing the hide is a chore. The worst part is the SMELL. Can't stand that sort of sweet greasy odor any more. In the early eighties the Koreans were buying them up at crazy prices - I skinned ever one I could get my hands on.

Sounds like you're starting out pretty much on your own. Try the WV Trappers Assoc. for some guidance if I'm right. http://www.wvtrappers.com/

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
They've been around for many thousands of years ,a real survivor.Can carry rabies.Will eat just about anything.

I know they are a die-hard animal.Every time I think of what happened to one I feel really bad.I caught one in a conibare 220.I checked the trap before going to work one morning and caught a possum.It was close to the house so I thought I would take care of it when I got home.It was caught through the head and the gut area.I thought it was dead.But when I got home and went to empty the trap the poor thing was still moving.I dont know why I am even telling this story.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont know why I am even telling this story.

NEITHER DO I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbdown

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're telling about it will help other people realize how hard they are to kill, and that is important. Thanks.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MDMike & Plinker,

Please allow me to explain my previous comment on Mike's story. I did not mean to admonish him or offend anyone.

Trapping is under constant attack by the animal rights people. It is perhaps the most vulnerable of all "consumptive sports" due to the small number of practitioners and the misunderstanding of the practices. Mike's story about not removing the possum till afternoon could be fertile ground for any of them reading this to use as "proof" that trappers let animals suffer long hours.

That of course is not the case but the same story repeated to someone who doesn't understand trapping or that only in exceptional circumstances could that possum have survived, would only see that it was in the trap longer than necessary. If trapping is to survive we MUST be careful what we say and how we say it in an open, public forum such as this. This same caution goes for hunting, farming or any other "use" of animals. I've spent many hours over many years as an advocate for the outdoor sports including trapping. One such statement repeated out of context or to the wrong people could be devistating to that cause. A cause that is on very thin ice in Maryland particularly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never even thought about being (careful).I guess you dont know who might be reading this.

I know why I told the story.I learned a lesson.Its a lesson that I hope nobody else has to learn.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote