New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Trip Report.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am back from my great Alaskan Adventure. What a trip. Hope you enjoy my LONG trip report.

First, some background. I have an uncle that likes to spoil me. Two years ago he took me to Colorado to go Elk hunting. Five or so months ago he called me, and long story short, got this hunt in Alaska for me. I have been boiling with excitement as I prepared over the months. My uncle paid for the hunt, but I still had to work my ass off to pay for flights and gear, and I am still in debt.

I flew out the 13th, and went to my hotel in Fairbanks. There I inspected my gear one more time and put it in my pack.

In the morning I headed off to Wrights Air Service. The trip would be 3+ hours north in a small plane.

There is really only one way to see Alaska, and that is by air. The 3 hour flight was spectacularly beautiful. The scenery takes your breathe away and the vastness is beyond belief.

The pipeline:

If I could summarize the terrain in 2 words, they would be “Mountains & Waterâ€.

We crossed into the Arctic Circle, and we could tell we were in for a cold trip:

More scenery:

As we landed we spotted a lone muskox walking by camp:

We landed in the back country, and from there it was time to fly in the 2 man Super Cub FURTHER into no where.

My gun for the trip was my Kimber 30/06. I got this gun 3 years ago after saving all my summer money for it. I LOVE this gun. I called it my Triple Stupid gun for this trip. Most people I talked to said it was stupid to bring a wood stocked gun to Alaska, stupid to use a 30/06 on a sheep hunt and stupid to use a 30/06 on a grizzly bear. O well.

After the Super Cub Flight I met my guide. His name was Joe, and he was 23. We both smiled, his last client was 65. If sheep hunting was a young mans game, then we were a deadly dynamic duo. I told Joe I wanted to hunt VERY hard, he did too. We became fast friends and it became more like 2 buddies hunting that a guide/client relationship. We split the gear up so he wouldn’t have to carry it all and so we could travel farther and faster. We set our plan. We pointed our sights on the tallest snow covered mountain, and decided to climb it, hoping it would bring us to an untouched area with a big ram. We both decided that since we were both young and in shape, we would aim for an exceptional ram. We packed and quickly left, two 20 year olds off on their own in the Alaska bush.

We were hunting in the Artic Circle, and because it was summertime, we had nearly 24 hours of light, there were 2 or so hours at night that were dusky, but far from a full night. You could hunt 24 hours a day. I was jet lagged, so we made the 3 mile hike to the mountain we had decided to climb and then only went about half way up.

There were some steep parts:

But once we made it to our spot to spend the night, the view wasn’t so bad.

I awoke from my first night in the tent ready to go. The bad news was that on the very first night, my sleeping bag broke. The zipper was busted, and from then on I would have to fold it in half around me- it didn’t work well and was uncomfortable at best. I spent $70 on the bag, I should have spent more.

We were half way to the top of our snow covered mountain, but the half we had to complete was the tough part. We had to make it through snow, ice and rock. There was one vertical 10 foot face we had to climb- scary. The slopes were VERY steep, and trying to balance with a 40+ lb pack and 10 lb gun on your back isn’t easy.
The hike to the top:

First up this:

Then this:

Don’t fall:

It was a crazy and dangerous climb, more like extreme back packing than hunting. But when we made it to the top, we felt like winners.

We came from the middle of the top river bottom in this picture and made it to the top in about 18 hours, including our nights sleep:

The view from the top:

Well we had crested our mountain, but the back side proved very difficult as well. It was pure steep shale. If you have never hiked on shale before, let me put it like this, think a 60 degree slope stacked with dinner plates. Every step is a balancing act and the rocks slide and you try to stay put.

Our hike did, however, put us where we wanted to be, a sheep heaven. There were white specks EVERYWHERE.

A sheep bed:

We sidehilled it to a good glassing spot, and had dinner. Dinners were Mountain Houses, dehydrated meals that you add hot water too:

The beauty of Alaska can be found in the big:

And the small:

There were many reminders that the Brooks Mountain Range is not an easy place to live:

We camped again and when we awoke, there were sheep all around us. At 10:30 AM we spotted 2 rams together high in a mountain across a valley to us. They were a long way off, but we decided to try to put the stalk on them. The problem was there were a TON of ewes and lambs around the rams. We would try to sneak undetected by them to get to the big boys.

We went down our slope and up the mountain with the rams. We went slowly and as quietly as possible, but we ended up getting busted by a group of ewes. They retreated up the mountain, taking the rams with them. We retreated to the base of the mountain. After an hour, we climbed half way up to glass. We got a few REALLY good looks at the rams. Both were legal, one was huge. He was the king of the mountain, and we decided that this was our boy. After an hour of glassing, the two rams went right over a crease to a different side of the mountain. We ran down the mountain we were on, ran along the base, and glassed to find where they went. Their new area was more inhospitable than the last. All the slopes were 70 degrees and it was straight shale. He had position himself near the top in the middle of a huge shale slide. From his throne he could see everything.
We watched them for 4 hours, unable to do anything but stay hidden and wait for something that would allow a stalk. At around 7pm it started to rain and some fog moved in. Perfect, we would hike the mountain in the fog, sneak into a shooting position and shoot the old ram. Halfway up the brutal mountainside, the fog starts to retreat. Not wanting to get caught in plain view, we retreat to the bottom of the mountain once again.
We reach the bottom, and we are now in the 12 straight hour in pursuit of this same ram. After another hour, fog moved in once again. We decided to take once again climb the mountain. It was 11:30 PM, the rain made the rocks slick, and the fog and impending dusky night limited our view. The hike was dangerous, and it was foolish for us to do it, but we were young and dumb 20 year olds, and like idiots, we decided not to be stopped by danger. We moved incredibly slowly, transferring each ounce of weight with care as to not make any noise. We climbed up the 70 degree slope on all fours, the wind and slick rocks threatening to whip us off the mountainside to certain serious injury and more likely death. After a 2 hour climb, we made it to our ledge at 1:30 in the morning. 15 straight hours. The climb had kept us warm, but once we stopped moving, we were cold. I was in a prone shooting position, waiting for the fog to clear. I had only long johns and under armor and light rain gear. The cold rocks quickly sucked out my warmth, the wind and cold temps made me freeze. I stayed in the prone shooting position for an hour, but the fog didn’t clear. The shale had been poking me, and I was frozen. I slowly put my gun down, and curled into the fetal position, shivering. My guide did too. Another hour passed, 3:30 AM. I look at my guide, and he too is curled up. I look over and the fog has cleared. The ram lies on an opposing slope, 218 yards away. I crawly back to my prone shooting position and tell my guide im going to take the shot. A few breathes calms my chattering teeth and nerves. The king of the mountain is curled up sleeping peacefully, the fog that still lingers around his snow white figure makes him look mysterious and powerful. My first shot entered behind his rib cage and up into the vitals. The muzzle flash blinded me, and I leaned in closer to find him in my scope as the guide urged me to shoot again. I found him in my slope, he was standing looking for what awoke him. I put the crosshairs on this neck, hoping to ancor him where he stood. I pulled the trigger again, the bullet smacked its mark. When I leaned in for a closer look to find him, I had gotten too close, and for the first time in my life, I got scope eye. Bleeding between the eyes, I was purely elated as I heard him crumple and slide down the slope. We rushed to him (it still took 15 minutes to reach him) and he was as big as we had hoped. After a 17 hour pursuit, the king of the mountain was dead.

Utterly exhausted, we butchered him quickly.

Heavily loaded, we descended with our prize. We slept for 5 hours then started out long long long trek back to base camp. Sore from previous days and now loaded down even more, we knew the trip wouldn’t be fun.

Two winterkill Caribou we found along the way:

After a painful trip, we made it back to basecamp.

Me and Joe with the Ram:

We took a few days off in base camp; gorging on sheep meat and sleeping comfortably.

Side note: I have hunted for a few years in MA. I have also hunted in CO, MD and NJ. In all that time I have never been more than an hour from a road and had only been checked ONCE by Fish and Game. Well what do you know, I fly all the way to Alaska, then I fly into the Artic Circle, and while hanging out in base camp, F&G lands to check our licenses and tags!

They were very nice, everything checked out fine and they were on their way.

One of the few fires we had. It is such a harsh area, and so windswept, that there are no trees. There are some shrubs in protected areas, and these provide enough wood for a fire, if you take plenty of time to gather wood.

The sights from base camp were pretty, and it was good to recharge:

Fully recharged it was time to hunt Grizzly Bear. These weren’t the monster bears people think of when you say Grizzly, these bears were in the 6-7 foot range. Our plan was to go the 5 miles upriver to where three drainages converge. From there we would glass and hoped to spot and stalk a bear.

Glassing:

One of the drainages we glassed:

Another area:

An artic quill pig we came across during the hunt:

We hunting for a few days without seeing anything. With 2.5 days left to hunt, we hiked the 5 miles back to base camp, then continue 14 miles downriver. On the final morning of the hunt, we saw a few caribou, my guide urged me to take one, but I declined, hoping that our persistence would pay off. Twenty minutes later we spotted a bear about 600 yards off rooting for a ground squirrel. I was hoping to get a close shot. We stalked closer, and I was forced to shoot at 120ish yards. I was told bears have an extraordinary will to live, and this one was no different. It took 3 hits, all which would have killed it eventually, but none right away. The final hit took out both shoulders and the vitals. Its claws were white and the teeth were pretty worn, it was an older bear. My outfitter estimated 14 or 15 years old

I didn’t enjoy the bear hunt nearly as much as the dall hunt. It was a passive hunt, with a lot of walking and glassing. It wasn’t very physically demanding, and once the bear was spotted the outcome wasn’t really in question. You also don’t even get to eat it, which is a big satisfying part of the hunt for me. I’m glad I did it, but I have to need to hunt another one.

Skinned out, you can see how pretty the coat on it is here:

The most amazing experience and hunt of my life was over. I was exhausted, sore, in debt, and happy as hell.

Moose Tracks:

Wolf Tracks

Kimber, small Dall horns and a small Caribou shed:

Alaska is a harsh place:

A few from the flight to Fairbanks.

Back in my hotel in Fairbanks, I ended my trip with something I had craved for a while. A true College Kid meal:

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow is all i can say about that, Great report, awesome photos That looks like it was an awesome time. Congrats on the trophys.So What did the bear weigh.?

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second that!! I am on my way to hunt with Phil Shoemaker on the 8th of Sept for moose. Hope my trip is at wonderful as yours.
D

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerTotally impressed!!! thumb

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice bear! Weather you took him easy or hard, that bear is a much bigger trophy than your ram. A bear that age has really lived, and imagine all those years living in the Arctic he survived living off char, grayling, caribou, moose, and muskox calves, and digging for rats.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear and sheep.

Well Done. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best trip report I have read in a long time.
You have to look at submiting that to a magazine. Especially with your great pictures.
I found your pics of the "steepness" to be just awe inspiring.
Congrats on a true hunt and adventure.
You should be very proud.

Calgary Guy

Posts: 108 | Location: Calgary | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Very Very Nice .... thumb Excellent photos ., ., glad you had the weather and a great safe hunt ... Nice trophies also .... Thanks for taking the bear ..,

.. Thanks for posting all of it ., It was fun to read and view ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments gents. It was a fantastic experience. I am working on writing an article now, time will tell if it will get published.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
OMG, I had a fabulous read!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back myself. If I were 20, it would have been more fun. Congrats on a great hunt.
Your best words were "Alaska is a harsh place". I fully agree and admire the courage of those that live there.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That triple stupid rifle turned that adventure into a TRIPLE GREAT.HUNT, MEMORIES,TROPHIES.My congrats to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A great report and be grateful for a wonderful Uncle and twenty year old legs. You done yourself and your uncle proud. Congrats.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Great shots. What a great trip. What did the bear square? Why couldn't you eat it, don't they pack the meat out?

My trip of a lifetime. The only trip I ever made to AK was on Kodiak for fishing. The only thing missing was a Moose, but that could be another story!!!!!

clap

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Just one more comment, don't sell the bear short. I've been on two combo hunts, with grizzly being one of the combo, and I still don't have mine. It's part of this years combo hunt also, and I have high hopes, I'm $1500 into Alaska bear tags. In 2006, after getting my caribou somewhere out of Kotz on the Squirrel River, where I was told a grizz was a sure thing, I played ring around the rosey with a big blond bear on the last day (travel day) of the hunt with the pick up plane coming in for final. No bear, but I learned to make good time on tundra! One other thing about walking in that country. It's very deceptive looking a the uphill horizon. As you walk up hill it seems that the top is only a hundred yards away, yet each hundred yards presents a new, further off crest. Is it just me?
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report what a thrilling hunt ! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report! Great hunt. Thank you for sharing.

Is your Uncle for rent??? I need one like that.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific report buddy, Thanks for taking us along. I knew the '06 would do fine.

Now I am sure sheep are great to hunt but are they really a challenge when compared to "The King"?

Now that's a trophy!

See you in the uplands and congratulations again. !

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and great report Thanks for sharing it with us!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and pics.........

What you experienced can only be had in ALASKA.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Hunt!!!!
Awesome narrative and awesome pictures!!!
That is one hunt you will remember forever.

Thanks for the posting.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a fantastic post, thanks for all the pictures, I was up in the brooks last Sept....I'd give most anything to be back up there right now.
Congrats on a great hunt!

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the very best hunt reports I've read on AR! Great photo's too! I'm sure your uncle is very proud, and you should be too.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing all those wonderful photos with us.. Looks like the perfect hunt to me.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Loved the story! A great story needs pics like yours. My dream hunt would just like yours; sheep and Grizzly in the Brooks. It will have to wait; heading north of Nome next week for Grizzly. Wish me luck and I hope to have a similar hunt around the 20th of Sept

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! What a fantastic Hunt!!
Thanks for the report thumb

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
clap

Well Done!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome report and pics! thumb clap

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most people I talked to said it was stupid to bring a wood stocked gun to Alaska, stupid to use a 30/06 on a sheep hunt and stupid to use a 30/06 on a grizzly bear. O well.

Have any of the people that said that actually ever been in Alaska and hunted sheep or Griz? For a hunt like yours a 30.06 is pretty hard to beat. Congrats on a great hunt.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Storm, nice hunt congrats, I was there with ya, huntin' with my son (if you remember)...I posted the pics on the North American game site section of this forum....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great story and pics thanks for sharing!!!! jumping your hunt is what dreams are made of!!

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Great report! It was very detailed. You really portrayed how tough a great hunt can be! I took a Mt Goat with my brother on Kodiak. I now hope to go after sheep with him.
Thanks for the great story and photos!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oooooh, you rotten bastard------here I sit with several thousand acres of wheat to plant and you had to go and post this!!!

Seriously though, congratulations on a great hunt and a terrific post. Three years ago it was my turn to go to Alaska and leave the work for everyone else. I can't wait to do it again. In a flip-flop of your trip, it was my nephew--an Alaskan pilot & guide--who furnished the trip! Congratulations again.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on great hunt. Great read on the report.

A comment on those who said your rifle/caliber choice was stupid: before your trip, how many rams & bears were taken in Alaska with a wood stocked .30-06? You weren't the first and you won't be the last. If a young man approached me and stated he was headed to Alaska for a bear and sheep hunt with a wood stocked .30-06 I would offer him my best wishes and commend him on a good choice of firearm.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report, trophies and photos... congrats!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Again great trip.

Just one more comment, about your triple stupid gun. The .30-06 and walnut stock, blue carbon steel guns have been getting it done for a long long time. If your stupid, then there a long hertitage of stupid hunters. I am one of them!!!

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Great trip and report! That's the way it should be done. thumb

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and some darn nice animals for sure. You accomplished the dreams of many, young man! That report just has to make it into print...its too good not to share with your fellow sportsmen. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote