New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Trip Report.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn. I got back from Alaska 2 weeks ago. My hunt was pretty tough as well but a lot less successful. After reading your report I feel the need to go back. ASAP.

Smiler Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Just greate the reading of your story and photoes well done

Thanks

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your hunting story and photos. Thanks for sharing them with us. beer Congratulations on a fine ram and bear. thumb

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations what a cool hunt! And you did a superb job of reporting it. I felt as if I was there with you.

Picture of shphtr
posted Hide Post
The native "sled" looks familiar - were you off the Hulahula? Great story, sounds like a good hunt, congratulations on your success.

Posts: 13 | Location: chugiak, ak | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Excellent report and some darn nice animals for sure. You accomplished the dreams of many, young man! That report just has to make it into print...its too good not to share with your fellow sportsmen. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Woody

Woody,

Excellent point. This should be picked up by a hunting magazine for ALL hunters to read. It was written from the heart, which I think is most important.

Don

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Shphtr, I knew when Storm put that picture in there, that it was a big mistake, icons like that people pick up on and before you know it everybody and there brother will be huntin' a certain area, I wonder what his outfitter thinks about that.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report with pictures to tell the whole story.
I moved to Alaska in 1982 and immediately became a sheep/mountain hunter. I've been on countless hunts around the world and those sheep hunts are still what I crave the most, even though they get much harder every year.
Congradulations, I get the sense you come over to the HIGH side.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
Shphtr, I knew when Storm put that picture in there, that it was a big mistake, icons like that people pick up on and before you know it everybody and there brother will be huntin' a certain area, I wonder what his outfitter thinks about that.

Wow. I never even thought about that. I have removed the picture.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Storm, no hard feelings, I was there with ya, if you remember............

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Oh to be young and dumb again. Your report had me back there for a while, thanks for the reminder. Nice trophies.
You'll be ready for a tahr hunt now.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed reading the report and great pictures. That is one awesome bear!!

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Great hunt and excellent trip report.

When the going gets tough, the tough get goin.

Adios

Sport

Posts: 103 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Great report, I am dying to get back to Alaska

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a fabulous adventure. Just looking at the places you walked frighten me. I am scared of heights and could never do that even if I was in your shape. A true hunting adventure. Frankly I think one of these trophies are worth 10 African ones.....

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A brilliant report & awesome pictures. Congratulations on 2 great trophies. I have just come back from a Tahr hunt in NZ and can relate to the wild rough country & steep mountains.

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesss Sirrrr!!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Oh to be 20 years younger.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to Alaska till I was in my mid 40s. And I've been 3 times since. It is a little tougher on an old guy. Glad you were able to do it so young. Thanks for taking the time to share your story and pics! 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't add much that hasn't been said. Great pics, fantastic story, and just plain well done!
Congrat's!

clap

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the hunt report immensly.

I found a few tidbits in your story that can only be understood by someone that has been there - done that. In particular, when you mentioned the fire, it became evident to me that you were probably "cold camping", meaning that you probably could not light a fire. (Did you have some sterno or equivalent to warm your food?) One of my guides said that to light a fire in a particularly remote and desirable hunting area would signal every animal within miles that we were there!

Thanks for the wonderful description that helps us vicariously be part of your experience.
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tebsinar:
Enjoyed the hunt report immensly.

One of my guides said that to light a fire in a particularly remote and desirable hunting area would signal every animal within miles that we were there!
Bob Nisbet

Huh??
bsflag
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the time you put in to this post. I felt like I was there with you. Congrats on two nice trophies.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An absolutely superb, unbeatable report on a hunt. I was taken back to 1950 when I first came to the Territory; and was young. I thank you for that.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote