Find
Notify
Tools

My 2018 guiding season.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That's a good grizzly bear. What your count this year of bears seen?

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far up to 12 grizzly seen.
Claws are nice in spring. But fall bears that live in the tundra also have great claws. Bears in roacksnor gravel a lot will wear them back more.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great start to your 2018 season.
Really like this wolf and the bears are just what the Doctor ordered.
Hope all the rest of the season meets you expectations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off
To check my bear baits tonight. Hopefully things are going well out there. First baited hunt is June 3rd. Gonna get baits reloaded and keep feeding those bears!

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out in the field at the moment. Bear activity on the baits has been slim this year. Statewide there’s s lull and bears just aren’t hitting the baits. Everyone is anticipating just s late spring with activity picking up anyday now. Lets hope so.
We did see a small boar sitting on a dead cub in the middle of the toad on the drive up to the hunt area. One bite wound to the neck and this little guy was stone dead. He squared out at 2’3”. 6 months old.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake
From reading your posts, you sure have some interesting Hunts.
Pretty rare to see something like this.
Hope your client was with you to see this.
Good luck on the rest of your Hunts. If you see anymore once in a lifetime events please post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the first of three baited bear hunts finished up. On the drive out we found this boar on top of a freshly killed six
Month old cub. One major puncture wound to the spine.
The grizz hadn’t hit any baits yet, saw plenty of tracks but this slow spring just have things either behind schedule of off kilter some how. We did manage this boar black bear the last night at 20 yards off a bait. Perfect hair, squared out at 6’6”. Hoping grizzly activity picks up over the next week into a more normal spring. A lot of baiters in south central alaska are having a rough spring.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice black bear. To bad the grizzlies are slow to bait. Maybe you will score big on the other hunts. Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not every hunt is gonna go exactly as planned or as hoped. We put in the time and the effort and do all we can do, ultimately there’s the X factor. Some call it luck, some call it God, some call it karma. Whatever you wanna call it it’s always there!

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the mama grizz didn't protect that cub?

The $64 question----Is the client coming back? Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Jake
It's just "Hunting"
He got a great hunt Iam sure

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mamma grizz May have had other cubs to protect as well, or just sucked at being a mom. Sometimes there’s not much she can do.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baited hunts number 2 is wrapped up. Grizzly activity has been slim this year so far. We have seen some increase in activity but otherwise is been almost nill.
A couple nights into it a grizzly came into the bait, in the process of getting ready for the shot the clients gun jammed a dented shell into the chamber and wouldn’t fully load. In the commotion to fix it he bear looked over our way and walked off. Uhg. No more activity until 120am the final night. A grizzly moved into the bait, sniffed the bait, trees, ground and walked off. Uhg. Again.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been wondering how it has been going. I see you got a new red barrel. The one in the photos from last year was a little beat up.

Sorry to hear the action has been slow. Hope things turn for the better.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The red is the only way to go. In low light at 1am it’s much easier on the eyes than a black barrel is. Did one spring on a black bear and said no thanks after that.
Got one more baited Hunt then a couple weeks off. Activity has been improving so hopefully this last hunt willl go smooth!

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I would have shot that bear on camera. Too bad about the rifle jamming, was it a WSM?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 win mag. His brass had a dent in it. Turns out a handful from his factory box were dented. Sent distorted the shoulder making it not fit into the chamber all the way. Push feed action so we couldn’t pull it back out right away.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That sucks---factory ammo too. What do you guess that bear was? 7' plus? Boar?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked closer to 8’but I never got a great look to see if it was a boar or not. Was to busy trying to get guns working!

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to add "try every round of ammo in your rifle before you arrive" to your equipment list.

I know that stuff happens, but that doesn't make it easier. Hope your client enjoyed the hunt otherwise.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya hindsight’s a peach......

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh that's a tough break for both you guys.
I know some guys think baiting is to simple and easy. Well not true. Good luck on your next hunt. I am sure you kept your client well entertained.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Might want to add "try every round of ammo in your rifle before you arrive" to your equipment list.

I know that stuff happens, but that doesn't make it easier. Hope your client enjoyed the hunt otherwise.

Jeremy

I do so for every single round.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jake always has the most interesting threads.

If I understand the situation, the hunter chambered the round (or tried to) when the grizzly appeared. And things went south ..

And hind sight is … well, hindsight.

How does one feed a shell and close the bolt without those fuzzy ears picking up the sound?

Maybe the blinds are a bit further away than the leopard and lion blinds that I have sat in and tried my best not to make any sound at all … not easy... ??

Anyways, great adventures and all the best with the rest of the season and beyond …

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And, of course, there is the safety aspect of a loaded rifle in a confined blind..

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the best hunting application for the Blaser Rifles. Safest gun with a chambered round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a river between us and the baits, we can typically talk in a regular voice without being heard. Chambering noise isn’t typically a problem. A guy trying to unjam a jam in a blind window with a grizzly watching IS typically a problem! Lol

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
300 win mag. His brass had a dent in it. Turns out a handful from his factory box were dented. Sent distorted the shoulder making it not fit into the chamber all the way. Push feed action so we couldn’t pull it back out right away.

It is a good idea, to check rounds before using it was policy at my department to do so.

Field strip the handgun drop every round into the barrel to make sure they fit.

Saw more than one bad round from the factory. doubly important if one is using hand loads.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the baits never picked up this spring. Was the worst baiting year I have had yet. I did have an individual find my baits then go camp less than 200 yards from them and check them everyday for me, which pretty much shut them down for the next week.
So changes have been made. New sites selected in different areas over a 30 mile range. Next years will be a new year. Statewide baiting was slow this year, the late June baiting was picking up for folks and that was the week I had folks camping by my baits. Needless to say it was a disappointing month.
Upside I was able to meet a few new AR members out in the field!

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baiting is not as easy as it seems to hunt
Good luck on the rest of your hunts,
Sheep season not far away.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks. What the heck was that guy thinking?

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the baits never picked up this spring. Was the worst baiting year I have had yet. I did have an individual find my baits then go camp less than 200 yards from them and check them everyday for me, which pretty much shut them down for the next week.
So changes have been made. New sites selected in different areas over a 30 mile range. Next years will be a new year. Statewide baiting was slow this year, the late June baiting was picking up for folks and that was the week I had folks camping by my baits. Needless to say it was a disappointing month.

"Camping"? Who the hell camps out there and then checks your baits? Do you think he was hunting over your stations?

We need some bait stations in the Anchorage bowl. The hillside is crawling with both black and grizzlies this summer.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:

"Camping"? Who the hell camps out there and then checks your baits? Do you think he was hunting over your stations?

We need some bait stations in the Anchorage bowl. The hillside is crawling with both black and grizzlies this summer.

Been on the East Hillside for 18 years now and we rarely saw Grizzly in the past until about 6 years ago. Now they are an annual event.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a great picture!

The guys who camped by my baits came on two separate weekends. Only two reasons I can figure to knowingly camp by bait stations. To either screw them up, or to hunt themn either way, he didn’t do me any favors.
I now have several new sites I’ve gps marked on dead end less travel trails for next season and more of them, in case they guy decides to come back next year!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice to put a face to a name, Jake! Enjoyed spending time at the lodge with you and your two clients, Troy and Jim, last week. Sorry to hear about the end of your season. UEG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems liking you and your hunters are absolutely nailing it so far.

Great trophies.

Sure got my blood a pumping!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHO:
Fantastic, lokking forward to follow your season, espessially the discounted grizzly hunt in new huntinggrounds as that was under slightly other circumstenses a hunt I would have jumped all over!

Happy HuntingSmiler

tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One week out from my next hunt. Got a grizzly hunt up above treeline. This is usually a productive time slot. My second oldest son will be joining us on this trip as well. Getting his feet wet into the business. I didn’t have family that guided or even knew any guides, when I dove in I was as green as green could be, no history or understanding of what I was getting into. Would like my kids to at least know what their dad does to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well got the hunt done with and rolled up. Sat two days waiting for the weather to break. We saw 10 grizzly, 10 black bears a handful of big moose and a couple dozen caribou. No grizz were within what we could access, frustrating but we had bears to watch everyday.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
How did your son like the adventure?