New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 2018 guiding season.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, almost that time again. I am starting Spring bear in late April and moving on thru to about thanksgiving. I’ve got about 16 hunts on the schedule this year. I’ll post photos and updates here after each hunt, good or bad. This is a unadultered look at how my season is going. Being transparent and honest with people is my main goal and what I strive for. By keeping a running thread on my season folks can look back over the years and see how things have been going. This is one of those things that can go either way, a poor weather season could hamper success, or we could have a fantastic season. Either way, follow along and go on a ride with me!!

I have done this for the previous two seasons on another forum and have debated adding it in here as well. Below are the links for 2016 and my 2017 season. Photobucket took all the 2016 pics I think.

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...5-BRWNBR-2016-season

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...3-BRWNBR-2017-season

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, lokking forward to follow your season, espessially the discounted grizzly hunt in new huntinggrounds as that was under slightly other circumstenses a hunt I would have jumped all over!

Happy HuntingSmiler

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya the new area/time frame hunts are always interesting! A great guy took the hunt. Full understanding it may be a bust and it may be perfect, but no matter what it will be an adventure!

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Jake---I looked back at the 2017 season & relived the hunt. I was a great hunt & she's a pretty grizzly. The one thing that jumps out to me is the number of clients that are coming back. That speaks volumes.

Looking forward to seeing how 2018 goes. Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I give away free stuff. Lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I give away free stuff. Lol

Marlboros? sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious if you straighten out that red bait barrel for use this year, or call it a loss.

It was a hell of a lot of fun making your report list last year.

Free stuff? Like a t-shirt that says "I hunted with Jake and all I got was this t-shirt"? A bottle of Jagermeister after the hunt?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha you got something farbeo! And it wasn’t a t-shirt was it smarty pants?! After three years of the custom knives we have been fielding requests from return clients because they have wore out their t shirts from the decade past.sooooo This year is t shirts, long sleeve, logo front back and something on the sleeve as well. Black with green lettering.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your season...... tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, that knife is leaning on the horns from my sheep. I made a little shrine until the taxidermist needs the horns for the mount.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shrines mean something went right.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I look forward to reading the season.
good bad ugly it's hunting and it's life. [shrug]

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
44 days till I take my rifle on a long winter walk. Have a feeling I will come home tired of seeing Jake's rear end and green sled. Hope your snow is still around April 23. Looks as if ours will be here until mid June! Smiler Smiler

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There’s nothing wrong with my rear end!! I’m told my 416 makes my butt look big though. Been trying to work on that.
There will be snow I’m positive of that! Temps in the 30’s here all week looks like. Knock at least 10-20 off that for altitude.
It’ll be fun, I’m really looking forward to it!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Only two years and six months to go! Save a bear for me. Look forward to hearing how your Spring hunts go.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting warmed up. Bear baits are going out next week to begin their soak prior to the first baited hunt in late May. Gear is getting packed for this first trip to the mountians as well.

This year we will be serving all bread products from a locally made bread maker. Rolls, hamburger buns, hot dog buns and sand which bread will all be homemade(not a store. A home!)!!! Ohh mercy....

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are now doomed to attract gluten fee clients. Kind of like my dog is attracted to dog haters. She can find one in a crowd and will not leave them alone, like they have treats in their pockets.

Are these breads lighter than the bagels I carried last year? Heaviest bagels ever made, I swear.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Lighter than the bagels. I was gonna change right before your hunt last year but you said you were in shape so I didn’t bother.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish you the best of luck this season! Look forward to your updates.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First hunt is wrapped up. Saw four grizz,Sheep,moose,coyotes and this wolf that came by the tent first morning. Client is from AR and I will let him give a report on the hunt from his perspective later.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt. That would be a fun hunt.

Jake, You kept the Hilleberg?

The wolf is beautiful. Good job all around.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s the anjan gt hilleberg. One wet tent in cold weather conditions!! My little enan hille is the one the kids use as a play toy now.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That is one sweet looking wolf. Do you think you'll add this hunt to your schedule next year? Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking back on some of Jeffersons Hunts I seen a picture of another nice wolf his client harvested. These are very nice trophies and any client should be thrilled to own.
I would love to have a big black wolf like that. I am sure there are many of you others feeling the same.
Good Job

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second trip is wrapped up. Saw three Grizz, 8 wolves with two dead caribou from the air,
Wolverine multiple times, Fox and hundreds of caribou. Had over 5’ of snow in places. It better melt quick or this caribou calves are gonna have a rough spring! Was 19 degrees at 3000’ last night at midnight when we snowshoes this 8’ grizz the three miles back to the tent!

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is sweet!!

Looking at the landscape, shouldn't the bear be white? That second photo looks like you are overlooking the pack ice.

Congrats to your client on a great bear. That looks like a really different and fun hunt.

Jeremy

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice bear!
Must’ve been a fun pack out on shoes tu2

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A nice midnight 3 mile hike....but with bloody fingernails. A good day.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A nice midnight 3 mile hike....but with bloody fingernails. A good day.

I love those kinds of hikes. I remember a moose hunt in BC; shot the moose in late afternoon, broke him down, then loaded our packs with meat. I fell into an ice cold river but never felt cold while hiking. We stopped for rest on a grass covered hill. The moon was full and the vapor from our sweat enveloped us.

We crashed at the spike camp well after midnight and slept in the next day.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I bet he wasn't hard to track after the shot. Not many alders by the looks of the photos.

Nice Grizzly ! Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol ya bob I did a bang up tracking job on this one! Only took me 45 minutes or so....lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
So what was your back up hand gun?

dancing

jumping
Great pictures. What a classic, bagging a bear in a mountain snow field. Just awesome. Congrats to you and your hunter, Jake.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
So what was your back up handgun?

I took my shoemaker 1911 in 9mm for its revered stopping power!

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude, you go through tents like Kleenex. Hilleberg will never sponsor you at this point.

I've seen that 1911 and it is pretty sweet.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No hilleberg?! Awww crap I was hoping and dreaming of waking up wet every morning in FREE tents!!

I do go thru tents...course I sleep in a tent more than I sleep in my house....literally.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
So what was your back up handgun?

I took my shoemaker 1911 in 9mm for its revered stopping power!

rotflmo

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trip number three is behind me! Flew out with a great guy from WI, works in a ER. Man I was sure hoping my skill set came in more handy that his did on this trip! Things went smoothly. Bear tracks each day on the mountains, saw a sow with triplets then this beauty of a boar working his way toward us. We drop off our look out and went out to greet him. And greet him we did. 30-378 gave a firm handshake. He squared out at 8’4”. Neat part was he had shotgun pellets in the top of his neck, been there a longggg time it looked like. Great bear, great company and a great trip!

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some sweet bears! Now you have me thinking about it again. Smiler

Congratulations. 3 hunts and 3 trophies.

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skibump this was on the backside of where those two dens were. Not very far from where we were. Still to much snow in other areas to even see any of the dirt strips!

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Nice job, Jake! Great claws. Are they significantly longer fresh out of the den after the winter?

Dave