New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a Zastava importer!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you know if any "plactic" stock makers (McMillan, etc) make stocks that fit these Serbian lefty guns?

I wouldn't mind a 264WiN dropped into a syn stock and make a nice coues rifle..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Idaho:
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
BTW, still hoping one of our OZ friends can post a picture of the wood on a Zastava so we can see what to expect - other than the 'airbrushed' picture on the web site(s).

Run a search on Zastava at http://www.shop.tradeexcanada.com/
They have real pics up.

Don't know how representative this is of all their wood. Not something to write home about but it looks to be a decent enough handle.

It'll have to do Smiler In the mean time I'll be keeping an eye out for alternatives. MIght be that if the finish was stripped that the stock could be darkened slightly an ebony forend tip put on and the 'second species wood' grip cap replaced with ebony as well. I think I know a guy that is fit for the task.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Do any of you know if any "plactic" stock makers (McMillan, etc) make stocks that fit these Serbian lefty guns?

I wouldn't mind a 264WiN dropped into a syn stock and make a nice coues rifle..

McMillan inlets for the Interarms Mark X, which should fit (or be real close). Last I heard, Stocky's had a B&C Medalist for the large ring 98 that might be an alternative. Lastly, I think Butler Creek may offer a 'tupperware' stock for the 98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any one have ideas on scope bases. I know the rimfire rifles have weaver rails.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
Any one have ideas on scope bases. I know the rimfire rifles have weaver rails.

Look for bases for the Remington 798. Warne and Weaver make cross-slot type, and Leupold offers their standard 2pc and QR 2pc. Got mine on order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2Barrels Thank you

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone ordered a Model 85 mini-Mauser, there is a review on Midway about the Weaver bases that says they don't quite fit the receiver, there is a small gap between the base and receiver. Same reviewer got the Warne bases and says they fit fine. Apparently the Weaver bases for the full size Model 70 don't have that problem, at least I haven't read anything detrimental to that effect.

I have already ordered and received the Warne cross slot bases for my Model 85 - not too impatient, d'ya think? Wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Idaho:
I have already ordered and received the Warne cross slot bases for my Model 85 - not too impatient, d'ya think? Wink

I wouldn't say so Smiler I have my bases on order, and am perusing the 'Net for a potentially better stick of wood. Richard's has some offerings, but I sem to recall mixed reviews.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim thanks for the info on the weaver bases. For who ever is interested I noticed Gentry customs,LLc out of belgrade MT. made and installed three position safeties on Rem 798's. It requires gunsmith installation. It's going to be interesting to see how every one is going to tweak their rifles. I can see this post going on with pictures, it's all good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . For who ever is interested I noticed Gentry customs,LLc out of belgrade MT. made and installed three position safeties on Rem 798's.

I've had one for a while. Picked it up at a gun show. One never knows what the next 'project' will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent an email to Elliot this AM and he added a right hand 9.3x62 single trigger to the order. If we get drawn for a Kodiak brown bear tag my son will get an early birthday presentSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
That's the spirit. I'm putting MY son in for an NRA Life Membership. I have plenty of RH Model 70s for him to use.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

Provide a phone number for contacting elliott Please... I missed that this was the process.
David

posted Hide Post
Dai,

Read the whole thread. It gives all the information.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dai:
quote:

Provide a phone number for contacting elliott Please... I missed that this was the process.
David

Cut-off was supposed to be 2/10/12, though it appears Snowwolfe snuck one in late.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard from Elliot today, no left hand .22'sFrowner
Added a lefty 7x57 with double triggers to the mix.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

So previously ordered .22 Rim fires will not be included on order right?

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
quote:

So previously ordered .22 Rim fires will not be included on order right?

The message on my answering machine from Elliot said no left handed .22's were being made (I tried to order a lefty .22 with premium wood) and he asked if I wanted to order something else. Emailed him to add the 7x57 but have not heard back yet.

Edited: heard back from Elliot and he updated the invoice. The 7x57 might end up as a .280 Improved if it shows promise and there is enough room in the action and magazineSmiler Just a rechamber away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:
Originally posted by yzm19:
Does anyone know if you can make a 416 rigby out of the 375h&h?? They are just a bit different in length.
If so I'm going for a 375

It would need quite a lot of work to turn the .375H&H into a .416 Rigby. Much less work is needed if you rebarrel to .416 Remington.

George

Or even .404 Jeffery.
There are some pics of a very nice custom .404J built on a RH Zastava .375 action over at AHN, for those who are members there: http://www.australianhunting.n...x.php?topic=103096.0

I think the gunsmith's pride in this one is entirely justifiable. He does very classy work.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested in a heavier caliber get the .375 H&H and rebarrel to 458 LOTT or .400 H&H there should not be any modification needed to the ejection port and minimal work every where else due to the same parent case. No one else is offering that heavy of a caliber unless you go the expensive route Dakota or GMA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If anyone is interested in a heavier caliber get the .375 H&H and rebarrel to 458 LOTT or .400 H&H there should not be any modification needed to the ejection port and minimal work every where else due to the same parent case. No one else is offering that heavy of a caliber unless you go the expensive route Dakota or GMA.

CZ makes a left hand 375 H&H, retails for about $1,800 but I found one used like new for a lot less.
The CZ custom shop will also build you a heavy lefty but figure on about $2,700-3,000

MRC will sell you either a stainless of blued action, either barreled or not, your choice in the larger calibers such as 375 H&H and 458 Lott. Not sure about the current prices but when I purchased my last SS barreled action Lott from them it was just shy of $1,000. Dropped it into a McMillan stock and your all setSmiler

One of Us
Picture of Double-D
posted Hide Post
I have been out of touch for a while but as I jumped threw this it looks like the order has not yet been placed and I had wanted to buy a couple of rifles. Is everyone contacting Elliot @ K-Var directly?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double-D:
I have been out of touch for a while but as I jumped threw this it looks like the order has not yet been placed and I had wanted to buy a couple of rifles. Is everyone contacting Elliot @ K-Var directly?

Yes, contact Elliot and have your credit card in hand. Better give him a call today to see if he can add your order to the list. Am betting he can include you if you do it real soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, contact Elliot and have your credit card in hand. Better give him a call today to see if he can add your order to the list. Am betting he can include you if you do it real soon.

Snowwolfe is right. Contact Elliot ASAP - like yesterday. The cut-off was supposed to have been 2/10/12 - which has come and gone - and guns expected to be at K-Var, 90ish days from date of order - read - late May.

That said, many of us have skin in this 'game' - read - deposits made and charges to credit cards appearing. Everyday that passes, and every 'one-zee' that gets added pushes the expected arrival date out on our end and Elliot's.

(Donning Flack Vest) What I'm going to say here is probably on the minds of others, as well, but I'll be the 'goat' and speak. . . . It's regrettable, and I'd be sore if I had missed the opportunity by a day or a week, but a line has to be drawn. Elliot set a goal of 50 guns ordered and deposits taken. From what I've read here, that's been met. Let the order go forward as it is. Given the fact that the goal was met, I would imagine that Elliot (and K-Var) would be willing to follow-up this order with another at a later date. In the mean time, let Elliot get the order out.

I apologize if I've stepped on anyone's toes as a result of this posting.

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:

(Donning Flack Vest) What I'm going to say here is probably on the minds of others, as well, but I'll be the 'goat' and speak. . . . It's regrettable, and I'd be sore if I had missed the opportunity by a day or a week, but a line has to be drawn. Elliot set a goal of 50 guns ordered and deposits taken. From what I've read here, that's been met. Let the order go forward as it is. Given the fact that the goal was met, I would imagine that Elliot (and K-Var) would be willing to follow-up this order with another at a later date. In the mean time, let Elliot get the order out.

I apologize if I've stepped on anyone's toes as a result of this posting.

Agreed 100%. Elliot is already on record as interested in doing future batch orders. If you think about it, this could be an excellent niche business for him.

Let's not screw up the first, test order. We already know that Zastava can be "difficult."

Everyone has been on notice for a sufficiently long time that they've had their chance -- and if all goes right there will be more orders in the future.

In fact, I am counting on it.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 2barrels and Anjin. Let's not mess this up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the rimfire orders were cancelled they are not producing them at this time. Elliot might have been trying to make up the differance by giving it a couple of days
Snowwolfe I remember seeing your CZ .375 H&H on sale at First stop. I already had two .375H&H's you got a hell of a deal. Since you have a CZ can you give us a comparison to the Zastava or Rem 798 if you've seen them.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 and the Zastava action are very different. The CZ is a larger action designed to handle the 416 Rigby size cases. It also has the modified double bridges with the integral scope bases machined into them. The 550 is based on the Mauser design and can be made into a nice and trim rifle. With a little work I believe they are a good alternative to the GMA action for us LH mauser aficionados.

The Zastava action is the Standard Mauser 98 design. The ones that were imported under the Charles Daily name in LH were somewhat crude however they function well with a little work. These actions are not designed to handle the Rigby size cases though people have made them in these calibers. The 375 actions are the same size as those used for the 30-06 case but they machine the front and rear of the magazine opening to provide the additional length. There are others more qualified than myself that can better explain this process.

I own both designs and like them both.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double-D
posted Hide Post
FYI I just spoke to Elliot and he confirmed the order has already been placed. He took my info as he expects to place another order in six months or even three if there is enough interest. So I will wait an extra six months which isnt all bad either as I will get to see how the first order works out. I told him I would take three rifles. I had mentioned earlier in this that I realy only want the actions for the most part as even with extra gunsmithing if needed they are a steal at that price. I was just at safari club and a true left hand mauser action will set you back several thousand bucks still in the white.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI I just spoke to Elliot and he confirmed the order has already been placed. He took my info as he expects to place another order in six months or even three if there is enough interest. So I will wait an extra six months which isnt all bad either as I will get to see how the first order works out.

Mark your calendar for mid-June to potentially get another thread and buy going. By that time (hopefully) several will have rifles in-hand and have commented on them.

T minus 90 days and counting . . . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe thank you. Does the Charles Daly have a guide rib on top of the bolt and the extra lug near the bolt handle

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roscoe thank you. Does the Charles Daly have a guide rib on top of the bolt and the extra lug near the bolt handle

Yes....both do. This weekend I will try and take a few PIC's of the bolts side by side so you can see the difference.

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:

Mark your calendar for mid-June to potentially get another thread and buy going. By that time (hopefully) several will have rifles in-hand and have commented on them.

T minus 90 days and counting . . . .

I'm betting in mid June there are going to be a lot of pictures posted on here.

Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Here are a few photos of bolts from some LH Mauser rifles. All of these have had custom work done on them (bolt, Safety.etc) but you can see some of the differences between the designs.

On the Far Left is a Charles Daly Bolt, Next is the CZ 550, Next is a GMA 375 Length bolt, Last is a Dumoulin Herstal Magnum action. I had intended on also having a PO Ackley LH bolt in the photo as well but I forgot to dig it out of the safe. It is nearly identical to the Zastava.

Yesterday I stated that the CZ had the 3rd lug and the guide rail. As you can see I was incorrect. It does have the 3rd lug but no guide rail on the top of the bolt. I put a ruler in the photo to provide some reference of size. Notice the Zastava is quite a bit shorter than the other actions. They are also much lighter than the others. Also note the Dumoulin had the larger .750 bolt diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe thank you again. Did you get the bolt handle from brownell's and which make. I was browsing their on line catalogue yesterday. Also looking at three position safeties. I noticed the following companies make them: Gentry, Ed Lapour, Dakota, Satterlee, Chapman, Wisner, Necg. Priceed between $147-250 with installation fee around $100. Which one do you have on the Charles Daly and how do you like it. I like the Satterlee which is not traditional but more practical due to the safety folding on the opposite side of the bolt making it more natural to engage. In fact I'am thinking of having my GMA switched. I'am considering sweating on double square bridges and barrel sling swivel for the more traditional Mauser look. I know I can't leave well enouph alone. Hopefully sharing information on this post will help every one consider options and possibilities. Obviously you've been down that road before. By the way what caliber is the Dumoulin.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not sure where the Bolt handles came from but expect they are from brownell's. The safeties on my Daily actions are from both Satterlee and Gentry. I also like the Satterlee but I did not get the non traditional lever location. Here is a pic of one on a 6.5 Sweede.

The Gentry is a little smaller and more traditional looking. I was not aware the other models you mention would work on the LH action.
My Dumoulin is a 505 Gibbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe you came through again Thank you. Is the factory trigger worth tweaking or do you recommend a Timney or other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
since we are all deposited in, what are everyone's plans for these rifles?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
jsl3170,

Would you mind opening a new thread with that question?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Hey fellas,

I saw where some of you were asking about restocking options for the LH Zastava Mausers, so I had a talk with Wes at Accurate Innovations - A.I. should be able to do LH Mausers.

Check the links in my signature for more info.
If you call A.I. , ask for Wes.

Hope this LH Mauser thing works out for you guys this time.

Best,
Nemo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote