Find
Notify
Tools

WHitetail Down...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
My twin boys' birthday is Oct 17...On the 16th, I took my son Drew out to a local farm to try his hand at crossbow hunting for whitetail. Steve had been seeing some quality bucks there. We hunted from a ground blind at the edge of a field, and the action started pretty fast. We had a spike and a button buck come in close, and Drew practiced sighting in on the small buck. Later, another spike and doe came in.

It was about 42 degrees and drizzling. A half hour before dark, I saw a big bodied deer step out of the woods at 120 yards. I glassed him, and could tell he was a shooter, so I told Drew to get ready. The buck made a scrape and worked a licking branch, and then he headed our way.

When he saw the spike in front of us, he bristled up and came in stiff legged trying to intimidate the youngster. At 50 yards, Drew said, "Dad, he's HUGE!" I told him to wait on the perfect broadside shot, and I ranged the deer a minute later at 26 yards. Finally he turned just right, and I told Drew he could shoot.

WHAAACKKKKK...the broadhead hit home, and the deer dashed out into the field, tail down. After about 100 yards, he flipped backwards and was out for the count. No tracking, and we were all hugs and hight fives!!!

Taking a good buck at archery range is always great, but to see your young son take a buck like that so close was the thrill of a lifetime. Drew is up and still on cloud 9 this morning. I never knew what I thought about crossbows, but for kids, it is a great teaching tool until they can really shoot a bow.

Off to Sask. tomorrow to try for a big buck for myself.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice deer! Congrats Drew. And dad, good luck in Sask.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
That first picture of your son with the buck is really fantastic !! clap

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nothing quite like hunting with your kids... heck I find I get more excited than I do when hunting for myself. Or at least more nervous!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Very nice! Congrats to your boy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. Might be tough to improve upon!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you ruined him.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Nice!..
Very nice! Smiler

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - it was more than we ever hoped for and was very special.

I killed a 174 whitetail yesterday (report to come) in Sask, an dI was 10 times more excited when Drew killed his buck...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote