Notify
Tools

My Son's First Axis Buck!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Picture Link

Alek finally got his Axis buck! Free range, spot and stalk, and no bait (not even corn thrown out on the ground!) - so it was worth it!

We started Saturday with a two hour stalk on a herd of Axis bedded up in the deep bowl between two ridges. We came down and managed through some large cliffs and thick cover. We got to within 80 yards, but unfortunately spooked them as we were sizing them up. We saw two really nice Bucks in the herd... darn!!

Saturday evening, all of us went into town to eat. We got back to the cabin at 8:26 PM and I told Alek we were heading South for a quick look before dark. Once we arrived, we walked around glassing for any Axis. We spotted a herd on a ridge, but didn't see any large bucks. We started to leave when we heard an Axis doe barking, but we knew we hadn't spooked anything.

We looked into a field and saw a single Axis Doe and then a single Axis buck. We slowly made our way to within about 200 yards. The Axis buck would never give Alek a clean shot - it kept facing away from him or lying down. Eventually he turned and Alek took a shot. The Axis took the shot low behind the shoulder and was dazed and stumbling. I told Alek to shoot again and he hit his right leg and brisket. He fell down on his front legs, but popped back up and ran off (not full speed) into the brush.

By the time we got to the brush line, it was completely dark. We looked around for a few minutes for blood, but couldn't find any. We decided not to pressure him and went back to get help and some good flashlights.

We were back within 30 minutes and quickly found a heavy blood trail. We tracked him about 200 yards into the brush and found him!

He weighed in at 200 lbs exactly and had a huge neck! A rough measurement showed his left side to be 32-33" with a 14" brown tine, and his right side to be 30-31" with a 12-13" brown tine. The cottle tines were average length with the left being longer. His antlers were also extremely heavy - some parts you could barely get your hand around!!

BTW - That's a Remington Mohawk in .308 Winchester that I restored for my son - new bottom metal, Timney trigger, Weaver 2x7x33 scope, new recoil pad, and completely epoxy bedded front, rear, and bottom.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice Axis Deer! Congrats to your son.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Super brow tines!! Axis are great game animals.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! They are fun to hunt. They change their patterns a lot and move randomly during the day.

I never book my animals with SCI, but I do have the Taxidermist score them. This was a Gold Medal Fair Chase Axis.

We saw three others in the same area that were whoppers! One of them would make top 10 SCI fair chase; the other #1 for even high fence. He's just huge.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Austin, eh?

Like you, I have always considered Austin more "...the Rest of the World"...or more precisely..."36 square miles surrounded by reality"!

All kidding aside, congrats to both of you!! Axis is my favorite venison!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you. It sounds like it was quite an enjoyable hunt -- and one I'm sure both you and your son will remember for a long time.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more deer we got during the last 3 weeks. A guest got the new #4 SCI fair chase rifle Axis last weekend - I hope he books it! It was a whopper. The pics do not do it justice. Go here:

hackberryranch.blogspot.com

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great Axis! Their beauty always surprises me.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For some reason the picture link doesn't seem to be working?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ,i hunt almost exclusively with my son ,we have had great times together.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I fixed the link. I rearranged some photos on Picasa and it messes with any links. It wreaked havoc for a while on my blog until I stopped moving pics around.

posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,

That's a lovely buck and I sure the memory of that hunt is soome thing you and your son will always treasure..

I assume the hunt was somewhere in Texas? I noticed you stated this was a free range hunt, so how common are Axis "in the wild" around there?

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Pretty common in the western part of the Hill Country and moving eastward- we have about 1 per 4-6 acres in our area. Much denser than the white tails. They are in velvet, anterless, polished throught the year - so there are always some you can hunt year around, but summer has the highest % that are polished.

From my experience, the free range specimens are always bigger than the high fence ones. High fences that are big use lots of protein and have a tell-tell sign - thick antlers with a very drastic narrowing at the very end of the main beams.

posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,

Very interesting...We don't have any free range Axis here in the UK I am aware of, but we do have "feral" populations Sika, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer so of which I believe you can hunt in Texas as well..

Strictly speaking Fallow should be classed as an introduced species here in the UK, but as they have here nearly a 1000 years, they are pretty much considered native now..They are pretty much our equivalent of your Whitetail now..

Again thanks for the pics,

Regards,

Pete

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
We have fallows as well; spotted (brown), chocolate, and white; but the free range are not as big as as the stuff in Europe, Africa, or NZ. I think they are beautiful.

One deer we have in Texas are Manchurian Sika's. I'm still not sure if this is a crossbreed or a legitimate wild species in Asia. It looks like a cross between an Axis and Sika. It has Axis size antlers, but the point structure of a Sika. It's body looks like an Axis, except the coat is a bit lighter and the white patches splotchier/fuzzier than a normal axis, finally it has a heavy beard/mane like a Sika. They look cool. We don't have any free range, but would love to.

We also have a single black Aoudad on our place we have been hunting 3 years seasons - the only one I have ever heard about - anywhere.

posted Hide Post
Manchurian Sika are a legitimate sub species of Sika...The ones we have in the UK are mostly Formosan (sp?) Sika which are smaller than the Manchurian sub species...We do have Manchurians in a few deer parks and apparently some have escaped into the wild, but their practical breeding impact has been virtually non existent.

In the Parks, the Manchurian subspecies has a reputation of being very aggressive in the Rut and potentially dangerous to humans if encountered unexpectedly..

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Cool - thanks!

We have some folks that cross bred Sika and Elk - called a Silka - about 400 lbs.

Sika meat tastes sweet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great buck, excellent meat, hunting with your son and a restored rifle.
It doesn't get much better.

Thanks for the post and good hunting.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great buck. Congratulations.