Find
Notify
Tools

elk hunt in west texas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear Friends,
as promised, my report about the elk hunt in west texas.
I must admit that I booked this hunt early last year without ask too many infos before (like references etc) as I had few e.mail contacts with mr. Malcom Calaway the owner of the Boot ranch, about 25 miles north from Alpine, and immediately I had trust in this men.
He told me that in his 18.000 acres ranch ther’was a population of free range elk that was never hunted in the past. So I would be the first to have the possibility to kill the animal on his property.
After many contacts during the year, with my wife Caterina, we finally reach Alpine the morning of jan 3 th, after a long trip Milan-London- Denver- Midland and a overnight in a motel there.
Malcom has a quite good accomodation in his ranch (called cabin but more confortable that many hunting lodges).

However having my wife I booked a very nice room in the historic Holland hotel in town.
http://www.thehollandhoteltexas.com/home.html

a very typical hotel, built in the 1912, that seems to come out of a John Wayne’s western movie. For the truth, the entire town of Alpine evokes the atmosphere of the golden era of the West that we have seen only in the movies.

And Malcom is no less: always with his cowboy hat, boots and Wrangler jeans, a big smile in the face and a great hart.

He reminded me "Chisum" in the beautiful movie of Andrew Mc Laglen of 1970.
But Malcom is also a real gentlemen who hostes us better than all my other hunting trips around the world. In fact, he and his family welcomed us as friends, worrying not only about the success of my hunt, but also about the comfort of my wife.

The Boot ranch is on the road 67, about 20 miles from Alpine. Is beetwen the Glass and the Davis mountains, partly flat, partly hilly, with small mountains not very rugged.
The environment is very charming, arid, almost desert, full of very interesting colored cactus, without big trees.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was immediately surprised of the number of Mule deer I’ve seen around. I’m not an expert but I was also impressed about the quality of some bucks I’ve seen that seems huge.

Ther’are also very many javelinas, that you see many times a day.

mario

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
A real page turner! Don't leave me hanging, keep 'em coming.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 things:

more pics and i want to see the elk

you have to be careful not to fall down in texas because something (and everything has thorns or spines) will get you right in the butt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice work Mario
quite a safari you got there,
and great photo's

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, now WAKE UP and give us more dancing

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.I like the landscape. Did you get your elk?
What rifle/caliber do you use?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2082 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.
I would second a need for more photos Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voilà the end.
About the elk, I knew this was not the best period for this animal but this was the only available for me and also I was looking for an elk in the winter coat with a long mane.
But Malcom made all possible effort to allow me to kill this trophy. He call his son Troy, a professional guide, and Dan another good guy. So I had 3 guides who helped me in the hunt. This was very important especially for spotting the animals that, because of drought and unusually hot, they moved very little and, despite the low vegetation, found refuge in the dense in the bottom of the canyons.

After a small tour of the ranch the afternoon of the Jan 3th we hunted seriously the morning of the Jan 4th. Troy spotted 3 bulls ( one vey nice) at the top of a small mountain. We walked for almost an hour for reach the place but when we got near the animals were already hidden in a canyon and we were no longer able to spot for all day.
The next day the same group of elk was spotted in another area from one of the guides. When I reached the place they were moving to another ranch and only the older bull with a very poor trophy was shootable. So I decided to let go.
The afternoon, Troy remained to check if the 3 bulls would be returned in the ranch, while Dan was placed on top of a mountain to check another area. Me, Malcom and Caterina we explored by car a different part of the property. Was late in the afternoon that Dan called us telling he spotted two bulls from his point. Driving fast we reached Troy who yet was waiting us not far from the place where the 2 elks were. Was a very flat area so was impossible to find a high point for which to shoot. So we walked very slowly up to sight the two animals at about 60 yards. I had with me the Malcom’s Ruger Hawkeye cal 375, not the best rifle for the elk but enough good for a short shot like that. With the same gun I killed a running javelina the day before so I had trust in it. When I saw the best of the two bulls I fired but I completely missed it. I shot again missing another time. Acc. I realized to have finished the bullets. Luckily the bull was runned away not far. So I’ve got the Troy’s Wheaterby 30/378 from his shoulder and I’ve shot with it finally hitting the bull. Another shot and he was down.
Was almost dark.

We got few pictures leaving the animal in place to recovered it the next day and make moro photos.

We had big party at night with excellent champenois from New Mexico. And because we were all so happy we made another dinner the evening of the following day.
The last day me and caterina we went for a visit to Fort Stockton and to the beautiful El Paisano hotel in Marfa. After lunch we drove to Midland where we had an excellent dinner at “the Wall street bar and grill”.
The last two days we were in Dallas at the “Gaylord resort” visiting the Dallas safari club convention and making some very good shopping. Another great dinner at the Friscos steak house in down town. And this is the end of the story.

mario

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Mario,

What a great story, nice ending too.

Not many hunters can say they took a free range elk in texas. Very well done!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Mario. Thx for the report!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2082 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull Mario. Did you get a genuine Texas cowboy hat while you were there?

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies Mario ,i love to hunt peccaries ,but here we hunt them in driven hunts with dogs and shotguns .
The elk is a wonderfull elaphus ,congratulations.
I like the Ruger you are using ,what caliber....

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats Mario tu2 tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mario.

Glad you had a great hunt, and a good trip to the Great State of Texas.

Well Done.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt. Excellent animals. Glad you had a good time in Texas.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys.
Ja, I havent bought the cowboy hat because I havent even ridden a horse in my life...
Juan, About the gun? Was a 375 ruger. A very good gun for big game with a short barrel. I never used in the past but I think is perfect for a buffalo hunt in the thick cover. I do not know how I've missed the elk ... maybe the emotion...

mario

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Bravo Mario.

Italian Cowboy.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, Mario.. Congrats!

My wife and I are both from that area of TX and it will always be home to me.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. That Alpine/Marfa region of west Texas has some beautiful scenery. There are also more free ranging Elk out there than most people realize.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan
I tink you have reason. Also in many places ( like the boot ranch) the elks are never hunted. So the hunt can be more easy that in many other areas

mario

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mario
Very nice report!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Molto benne Mario. Congratulations and your pictures capture west Texas perfectly.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mario, nice bull!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
Congrats, nice bull

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful report and photos. Congratulations.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mario, excellent story and good hunting.
Sure wished we could have met you at the show.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to be rude, but what did the hunt cost. And great pictures!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what a shame not have a meeting at the show.
Costs? 6500 $

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mario. Sounds like a deal. Great hunt!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the Hunt Report, Thanks & Congrats!

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote