Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Yukon Stone Outfitters / Craig Kiselbach

Species: Stone Sheep, Grizzly Bear, Mountain Caribou

Dates: Sept. 4 - 17, 2014

Guides: Wes Seely & Cole Schneider

Cameraman: Jeremiah Bennett

In December 2013 I decided I should try and complete my Grand Slam of N.A. sheep, after taking my Desert ram the month before. I knew Craig Kiselbach, I knew his area was good - and I decided it was time to pull the trigger. So we scheduled a 13-day hunt for mid September, with the primary target being a big stone ram. I told Craig though, I wanted the chance to hunt everything possible - so he got me a tag for all available species.

We left for camp on Sept 4th via float plane, that morning was to be my last hot shower/shave until Sept. 17th (that sucked)!!!! Jeremiah made sure he had all his camera gear, and then we were off.

The flight was beautiful, and fortunately for us - the weather for the most part was great too.

Our arrival point via float plane was still 26 miles by horseback to our sheep hunting spike camp! Well, that part sucked - but it was a day or two until we could head that way. So, we had one decent afternoon to hunt - and the guides wanted to head up the valley to look for a moose. My plan was to hunt a moose with my bow, if time allowed. I was feeling very confident out to 60 yards, and I figured a moose is a pretty darn big target - so lets give it a go.

Glassing for moose

Well, to make a long story short. We had just three hours that day to hunt moose, and we found a GIANT! He was at least 65", as much as 68" - and we all figured him 245" B&C plus. This wasn't the first time Cole and Wes had seen this bull, and they wanted him pretty bad. Unfortunately in the 45 minutes it took us to get to him while he was out of sight, he had moved, and we simply could not find him before dark. That too really sucked, as I knew he was a giant - and I knew we were hunting sheep far, far away. Turned out that I got 2 hrs on the last day to look for him again, but no luck. We saw 3 other bulls, but after seeing him - I wanted him or nothing!!!

So now it was off to spike camp. Ya, 26 miles on horseback and almost 10 straight hours in the saddle - hopefully never again!!!! Luckily though we had good weather, and all went pretty.

Spike camp wasn't much. But we did have a warm bag, and hot food - what more do you want on a sheep hunt???

We then spent the next few days looking for rams, but truth be told - I had requested this particular spot for a reason. Another hunter I know from here in Colorado, had hunted this area on the first hunt in early August and had seen what he called a "huge" stone ram, heavily broomed which is not common for stones, with a fantastic cape/color. He got away, and I knew I wanted to try for him. Both Cole and Wes confirmed the story when I got there, comfirmed he was a huge ram, and also confirmed that they had not seen him in over 30 days!!!!! Well, I'm always up for a challenge. Smiler

We saw numerous rams over the first 4-5 days at spike camp, but none of them were legal. Day 6 and our luck changed a bit. We spotted a beautiful mountain Griz, and with some quick running/stalking - we got in position and he came right to us. I shot him at 150 yards as he came through an opening, and down he went. Bears are fascinating to me, so I was totally thrilled - but that was it for the day's hunting. The footage is fabulous!

It was a day or so later, and Cole decided we needed to give the horses a rest. So we hiked straight up into the basin behind camp, and we planned to go over the top. As we got up in there, clouds covered the top of the mountains (where the sheep like to be) so we started paying alot more attention to the fresh caribou tracks we were seeing. After looking for about 15 min, we found em. The bull was with a cow/calf combo, he looked nice - and we decided we wanted some fresh meat in camp too. A 10 minute stalk, a 230 yard shot - and it was over. A beautiful mountain caribou.

As we sat for a couple hours while Cole and the packer were skinning/caping and deboning the caribou - I started glassing the mountains as the clouds began to lift. About 3 - 4 miles off, and on a mountain at the end of the range - and one we had NOT looked at yet, I saw what I thought for sure was a ram. I got out the spotting scope, and instantly called Cole to have a look. I already knew what he was going to say, but his reaction was awesome. We had found the giant / broomed ram!!!! I literally had to calm him down, he was so damn excited!! I think he forgot who was really the hunter??

I'm looking at the ram in this pic. He's on the very top of the far left mountain.

The plan was simple, go kill this ram! The next day we headed down the valley and spent hours glassing for him, but to no avail. We really wanted to locate him first before going up the mountain and risk spooking him - because we simply don't know where he's at. and if he detects us first, its over. The search was fruitless, just one little banana horn.

That night we knew with only a couple days left, we had to go up the mountain and take our chances. By 10am we were started up on foot, and 2.5 hrs later, and exactly 2,000 vertical feet later (according to the GPS) we reached the top. My 50lb weight loss, weight and cardio training over the past 18 months really paid off!!! Interestingly enough, it took us less than 30 seconds to locate the ram once we sumitted. The problem was, he along with 6 buddies (two of which were good rams too) were 900 yards away - and it was impossible to get any closer.

Below us was nasty cliff/shale chutes, and nothing but air between us and the rams - who were on the other side of the huge basin. Even the side they were on was impossible to get to, we were screwed. Our only hope was the rams would drop down into the bottom, and allowing us to get a few hundred yards closer. By 6pm it was obvious the rams weren't moving anymore that day. Cole said it as much, and I instantly turned to him and said, "I'm not leaving"! "What do you mean", he said? "I'm staying on this mountain until we kill this ram, or he's gone." He got a giant smile on his face, and said "man am I glad to hear you say that"!! So now you know, we both are just as stupid as the other one.

We had no food left by then, no sleeping bags, nothing more than what we wore up the mountain and our rain gear in our packs. That was the most miserable 10 hours of darkness I ever spent. Nobody slept a wink, and we begged for the sun to rise. When it finally did, the rams were right where we left em at dark. Over 900 yards away, and too far to shoot. We needed them to move, and soon.

Finally when the sun hit them around 10am, they quickly started heading straight down into the head of the basin. Cole and I discussed it, and we both knew no matter what it was going to be a LONG shot - if we could get down at all. It was seriously treacherous, and after only 50 feet, we knew we had to leave Jeremiah behind. He got into a good position that he could film from, and we went down another 100 feet or so. Finally we were at the last place we could get to, without knocking every rock off the mountain and spooking the band of rams.

As I took my pack off and got my gun ready, Cole ranged the big ram with his Leica binos. "531 yards" he said!!!! Good heavens I thought to myself, but I knew it was this or nothing. So I took a couple minutes to get into a good prone position on the ledge we were on, got the bi-pod dug in good and seriously focused on the shot/squeeze. One thing we weren't sure of was what the wind was doing out across, and down in the basin. Well, apparently it was blowing right to left, enough to drift the bullet about 12" or so. The first shot missed just in front of his chest. They scatterd about 10 yards or so, but the 2nd shot hit home. I knew then I had him, as sheep are very weak. So I took a couple extra seconds on the 3rd shot and he dropped in his tracks!!!!

Obviously excitement was through the roof, and the miserable/hungry night was forgotten. He's a magnificent ram, and we ALL earned him! In fact, getting up out of that cliff/chute basin was almost as bad as the night before. But we all made it, life size sheep cape/meat in tow. Once back at camp, we ate like we had never ate before - it was awesome, and that sleeping bag never felt so good.

I've been asked many times already what he scores, truth is - I don't care, and I don't know??!! We never taped him, and I likely never will. I'm a trophy hunter, cause I love the pursuit of big/trophy animals. Where they rank when its all done, means NOTHING to me. I just like to hunt the biggest/best I can, and I am thankful that Yukon Stone / Craig Kiselbach gave me the chance to hunt for this ram. I guarantee you, Cole was happier than I. Thanks my friend, you are and were an animal on that mountain - and a huge thanks to my cameraman too!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram; nice griz too.

I have starting taking Baby Wipes with me on these kinds of hunts. I clean my hands, face, pits, groin and feet with several each night and feel great. Last fall I was totally comfortable getting on a plane after being in the Alaska bush for 11 days. Ditto last week after a hunt in the Selway (but I did get real showers at the end of the day).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

I have starting taking Baby Wipes with me on these kinds of hunts. I clean my hands, face, pits, groin and feet with several each night and feel great. Last fall I was totally comfortable getting on a plane after being in the Alaska bush for 11 days. Ditto last week after a hunt in the Selway (but I did get real showers at the end of the day).

Ya, we always have baby wipes too - but it ain't a hot shower! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Ya, we always have baby wipes too - but it ain't a hot shower! Smiler

Yes, you are right. Fantastic hunt you had. congrats.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn that's a beauty of a ram. great hunt all around. can't wait to see the footage.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning ram Aaron - congrats! Super story / memory too... don't envy you those 10 hours on the mountain-side, but probably would have done the same (so easy to type that... Smiler)

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Ram,Bear and Caribou.

Did that finish off your Grand Slam?

The 10 hours waiting overnight on the mountain sounds better than the 10 hours in a saddle riding up the mountain.

Both worth the results...Congratulations Aaron

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Aaron, I want to be like you when I grow up!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt u:
Outstanding Ram,Bear and Caribou.

Did that finish off your Grand Slam?

The 10 hours waiting overnight on the mountain sounds better than the 10 hours in a saddle riding up the mountain.

Both worth the results...Congratulations Aaron

Ya, I guess I forgot to mention that. This ram did complete my NA sheep slam. Thank you!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:

I just want to grow up! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Congrat's, That's a beautiful Ram, Love the claws on the Grizz, Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man what a fabulous hunt. Congratulations Aaron on some beautiful animals.
Your story describing the hunt was riveting.

Good job Mister beer

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt and animals taken, that sheep is a beauty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

very nice pictures and country.

love really your caribou and your grizzly.

the stone sheep looks like a fannin but that certainly just me .... and i know the classification book is sometimes crazy.

your outfitter needs to learn how to make a sweat house ... seems it has tarp and small trees ... then no more issues for your bath and being washed before the end of your trip.

we always do one to wash us at mid week ... good for relaxation too.

knowledge is lost sometimes ...

Phil.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
congrats...beautiful pictures,excellant trophies.bravt

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, you did real good my friend. That is a remarkable accomplishment to go into an area with the goal of taking one particular ram, especially of that caliber, and get it done.

Well done on the training too, looking lean!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful places, horseback hunt, lots of game--the Yukon has it. Those are simply outstanding trophies.
Congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt! Definitely a dream hunt for me!

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Great hunt and terrific trophies. Huge congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Aaron, great hunt man! the trophies are all beauties and you sure earned that fantastic ram!

Thanks for sharing.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
That's an amazing ram Aaron, it sure sounds like you earned every bit of that prize after a great hunt and great shooting!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, greatly appreciated!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That`s trophies well earned. Congratulations!!
Love that Caribou as well!!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Great story. Awesome ram. Congrats on an unforgettable hunt / trophy. And thanks for sharing

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2262 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Nice Ram. Other than the moose you wanted, it looks like you had a pretty full and sucessful trip! Congratulations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Aaron, I am really glad how well this all worked out. I remember talking about your stone sheep plans right about this time last year at camp in Oregon. Awesome ram!

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, Congrats on a great ram; and your Grand Slam! Well done

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I thought Marco Polo got bigger?

Great report mate and well done on your perseverance. Reminds me of the Chamakubi Lion saga.

Jeremia takes some seriously fine pictures and you two are the perfect combo.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, Aaron, just beautiful!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I thought Marco Polo got bigger?

Great report mate and well done on your perseverance. Reminds me of the Chamakubi Lion saga.

Jeremia takes some seriously fine pictures and you two are the perfect combo.

The Chamakubi Lion, I'll never forget him Andrew!!! The harder we worked, the smarter he got. Thanks for that memory, I think? Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great ram. 8 or 9 years old? Amazing character.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Great ram. 8 or 9 years old? Amazing character.

He's 12.5 yrs old

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Aaron, Great hunt hunt, wonderful trophies. Thanks for posting the photos and write-up about the hunt for us to enjoy. Especially thank you for the comments about not scoring your trophies, but enjoying them as a personal challenge to get truly good trophy game animals. This seems to get lost with some of todays hunters. Anyway I appreciate that particular stand. As a member of The Wild Sheep Foundation I really enjoy your program.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super ram!!!
You look skinny - AIDS or EBOLA or ????

Posts: 10216 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:

I just want to grow up! Smiler

Not gonna happen as long as you can hunt lions.

Posts: 10216 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and great report. Thanks. I'd love to see a photo of all four mounts, if possible.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations - awesome trophies!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

That really is a beautiful ram

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Just re-read this report. Great Ram for sure but 26 miles in the saddle is more than my old butt could do I think.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just caught up with this Aaron.
Congrats. Great trophies.
I gotta do this hunt!

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote