New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marco Polo & Ibex in the Pamirs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Definitely an adventure I will never forget, and never repeat. Once was enough Smiler
Here is a little video I put together of the trip.

https://vimeo.com/80596629

I enjoyed hunting the Ibex more than anything else on the trip. I think I may have found a new obsession.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Great video, thanks for sharing it. I am curious though, why not repeat the hunt and why only three days hunting?

Best

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Congratulations, outstanding video and trophies.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9382 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Great film clip, thanks for sharing

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the travel is just a nightmare. you just feel beat down by the time you get to camp. and you seem to never fully recover.

you arrive in Dushanbe at 4am, then you have a 14 hour drive over basically dirt roads (and thats going faster than you should), plus another full day of driving the 2nd day. easily over 20 hours of being tossed around. I was pleasantly surprised that we were actually able to catch a flight on the way back (khorog to dushanbe). I was beginning to believe that this flight didn't even exist. The details were sketchy at best. I'm not quite sure why they can't simply charter a chopper from Dushanbe all the way to camp. It would seem that this could be done for just about as much as you pay for "transportation fees" already. This would make the entire experience more enjoyable, and save a lot of time. Maybe even enough to squeeze in another group of hunters during the season.

then the hunting... you always hear of everyone in camp tagging out withing 1-2 days, and you think "not me, I'm going to take my time" then you get there and see that there is actually TONS of game and almost no reason NOT to shoot something within the first day or two. I guess you can be picky and try to squeeze out a few more inches on your ram, but there are good rams to be found fairly easy. As others have said, the guides seem to always be in a rush. Which is just how they do things. They are very good and work hard nonetheless.

So its not that we wanted to hunt longer than 3 days and didn't, its that there was really no reason to. Everyone else had tagged out by day 2 with a ram and an ibex. Same story for the group that was there before us. I imagine its like this for 90% of the hunters.

The quality and qty of animals is really superb. It really is an amazing place.

The operation is well run. No issues at all with the guides or staff. The Hunting Consortium does a good job with making sure you are taken care of during each leg of the journey. I guess now that I think about it, I might go back. It would have to be someone I could travel well with, and knows what he's in for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Kathy! thanks again for all of your help.

Just a few more tidbits of info that come to mind for those thinking of doing this hunt:

Tagging out early and heading back to Dushanbe does have its benefits (besides being able to breathe normally again). It gives your rep a chance to get all export/import paperwork in order. We had all of our paperwork (including export permits for the wolves, which I thought couldn't happen in time) ready to go before we left Dushanbe. The hides were nice and dry, and the skulls very clean. We were able to breeze right thru customs in LAX. I imagine this depends on who you get from USFW, but we had no problems.

In my opinion there is no need for an import broker if you are able to bring back your trophies with you. Worst case scenario, you have an issue along the way, then have a broker that you can contact and help with things at that point. The paperwork is pretty straight forward and easy to fill out.

Oh and Turkish Airlines is simply awesome. Quickly becoming my favorite airline.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the trophies and the great hunt. The video helps in understanding the difficulties of the hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 802 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome video & pics, well done on a great hunt.

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Absolutely fantastic, great ram, ibex, and wolf.
The country looks spectacular,the video was great, along with the pictures, and report!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed your video. Great animals. Tough running shot on your wolf. Congrats!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13404 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys I appreciate it Smiler

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The video is great ,THANK YOU ,i can see part of the country and culture trough your video ,very very interesting .We will have to fil our expeditions and post here now.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bobby to you and family!!!
Well done as always and it looks it was an adventure indeed clap

BEAUTIFUL VIDEO!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
awesome video and a great adventure Thanks for posting this.

Posts: 24 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 10 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb video... truly gives a hunter contemplating this trip a feel for what he/she can expect in camp and the field. Very well done and produced. Looked like a great adventure. I don't remember any other reports with wolves thrown in the bag. Was it considered unusual to kill two on a trip like this?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you. while editing the video there is always more you wish you would have gotten footage of, but it covered all of the basics of the trip.

and yes I think we were lucky to get a shot at a wolf period, and getting two was very lucky. I think they had taken two total the whole season before these. No one else in camp with us shot a wolf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the trophies.....I enjoyed that video very much.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb, thank you for posting.

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Awesome video and trophies, congrats! These Marco Polo hunt reports are making me salivate. Just a little out of reach for me right now, but I'll be back there in November of 2014 hunting them with clients. And I share your feelings on the Ibex, hunting them was amazing and the highlight of my trip!

Something of note - There are other areas in Tajikistan that aren't quite as difficult to get to. When I was there in February our car ride to camp was only about 7 hours in a comfortable SUV. The ride out was even shorter due to going downhill for the last few hours. I can say I was still exhausted when I got to camp, but mostly because of the change in altitude. I felt fine the following day.

Congrats again!

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible! Thanks for sharing. That is a "dream" hunt.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ropati
posted Hide Post
Great video. Very still and smooth. Amazing animals. That's a gutsy hunt in many regards.

Posts: 168 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big congrats to you on this adventure and your superb trophies.

The footage of the big boys together running away from the camera is truly awesome. As mentioned above, this short video covered a little of everything. Very well done.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! I really enjoyed the video. It brought back great memories as I did the hunt in 2007. And I totally agree with you - It was a great experience but I wouldn't do it again. The travel is just brutal. We did the 18 hour van ride from Bishkek and with 3 breakdowns it turned into 27 hours. Brutal!!! We only hunted 2 days and all took MP and ibex and we were certainly glad to get out of the altitude. Again congrats on a great hunt and excellent trophies. I'm sure you will remember it forever.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you bobby7321 for the video.

Can you let us know which outfitter did you use in Tajikistan ?

What is the name of the camp ?

Augustin

Posts: 69 | Location: Paris, FRANCE | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hunting Consortium, and the Hot Springs camp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt!Congratulations!!

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Trophys. Congrats

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Really nicely put together video. Well done on your trophies.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Jim Shockey would say, "WHAT A HUNT!"

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you. I'm hooked on ibex. Bezoar December 2014 Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Awesome video & great trophies. Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't logged on here in a long time. Glad I did today. What a great hunt video. Congrats! That's one big hunt on my bucket list.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best reports I've seen on AR - great hunt. AIU

One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
superb shot on the wolf, congratulations on some fantastic trophies and thank you for sharing.Would you post some details on rifle calibres scopes projectile factory/handloads etc please.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sws:
Superb, thank you for posting.

+1 tu2 shocker

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shukaree:
superb shot on the wolf, congratulations on some fantastic trophies and thank you for sharing.Would you post some details on rifle calibres scopes projectile factory/handloads etc please.

thank you.
here are some quick specs

.30-378 weatherby mag. (rebarreled by Hart)
nightforce scope (1000 yard velocity reticle)
200 gr CEB MTH (will not fit in the magazine, these suckers are LOOOONNGGGG)
102 gr H1000
this combo works very well and happens to be just about dead-on with the velocity reticle

.300 wsm by HS-Precision
swarovski z3 scope
168 gr TTSX
65 gr IMR 4350
my most trustworthy rifle and load. Also just happens to line up perfectly with the z3 BRH reticle when zero'd at 200. (200, 300, 400, 500)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video ,great report one of the best ever .I will never hunt outside Argentina ,but this videos makes me dream about it .Thank you .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of R8 PRO
posted Hide Post
great video and an amazing bunch of trophies, thanks for sharing, love those long range shots!

Relax and light a Cuban.

Posts: 177 | Location: UK | Registered: 16 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems as though someone has poached my video and put it up as their own on YouTube to try and sell the hunt...

Marcopolosheephunting.com is the "uploader"

With a little Whois domain search come to find out its the folks at The Hunting Consortium. Sent them an email a week ago, still no response, and video is still up. Really pisses me off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sucks. They are supposedly reputable.

Posts: 11998 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote