Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted
Outfitter: Australian Big Game Safaris
Guide: Simon Kyle-Little
Dates: August 25-September 2, 2015
Rifle: 375 H&H with Zeiss Conquest 1.5-5

Our trip began in Calgary, Alberta and five airplanes later and over-night in Darwin and we were at Simon's Walker River Camp. This is a fly-in camp in the north-eastern part of Arnhem Land and it is about as wild as it gets. Simon has access to over 2 million acres here and unlike much of Arnhem Land, the region has never had a buffalo cull and according to the Aborigines, it never will. With the Australian government stepping up its buffalo eradication program, we figured hunts would never be better nor cheaper so that was our real motivation to go this year.

Simon is famous for his "death marches" and we covered many miles the first day and saw a lot of really good buffalo but either they were on the wrong side of waterways or they spooked before we could get into position. Vanessa was hunting a management bull and I was looking for a trophy bull. Very late in the afternoon on the first day, while driving back to camp we came across an absolute monster of a bull that Simon figured would go 106 or better but I was enjoying the hunt too much to simply take one at the side of the road.

The following afternoon we got on a good old bull for Vanessa. It was on the wrong side of a river but Simon figured we could drive around to him and if not, we could build a raft to retrieve him. The bull was nearly up to his back in the water so Simon and Vanessa got into position and then waited for the bull to walk up onto the shore. Vanessa hit him perfectly in the heart on the first shot and a second round anchored him right on the spot. It took us an hour to find a spot to cross the river with the truck but we finally got it within a kilometre of the downed bull. We took a few quick photos and then got down to the task of field dressing the bull. With blood pouring into the croc filled river, none of us wanted to spend too long at the river's edge.

The following day we put many more miles on and passed on several good bulls but couldn't find one we wanted so on day four Simon suggested we go look for an ox. We headed about two hours from camp to a rocky ridge and got extremely lucky when we found an ancient bull after only an hour or so of walking. I hit him in the shoulder with the first round from the .375 and a follow up in the neck dropped him where he stood. While I really had no intention of hunting ox, when I saw just how wild they were and what an incredible trophy they were, I decided the grand old bull would make a fine addition to the trophy room.

On day five we headed for the coast where one of the Aborigines had seen several good bulls. It was just after noon when we spotted a worthy candidate in a bilabong right along the edge of the ocean. He was with two cows and a calf. We had to do a wide circle to get the wind right for an approach and just as we were easing into range, one of the cows busted us and started heading for the thick jungle. The bull was last in line and with the crosshair settled firmly on the leading edge of his shoulder, I touched off a round. I could tell he was hit hard but pounded another into his shoulder for insurance and he crashed to the ground.

We spent the next couple days fishing and hunting boar and just sightseeing. Simon runs a first-class outfit and puts a lot of emphasis on providing a high quality experience. You definitely earn your trophies with him. Camp was very comfortable with hot showers and meals around the fire every night were delicious, with a feed of mud crabs and barramundi being the highlight. On the hunt we saw hundreds of buffalo, ox, wild pigs, dingoes, walaby, wallaroo, crocs and more species of birds than one could count. Simon also offers some great fishing for barramundi and off-shore as well.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats,
Looks like a great trip

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
What a awesome trip! Congrats! A trip like this is our bucket list.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
With the government expanding their eradication programs in Arnhem Land opportunities will definitely decrease and prices will certainly increase.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff and love the fact you could mix some fishing in. Nice barra! The other fish looks like a grouper but taken in fresh water or is it brackish?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Yes it was a grouper from the river but the tide was coming in and it was pure salt water but apparently they do catch them way up river in pure freshwater too.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! Would love to put a trip like that together, must start making up stories for my better half to start putting away funds.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Finally getting around to getting a few more photos sorted out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey mate - great report and congrats. Your images are too big though.

I would just like to point out... You mention a buffalo eradication program. There is no eradication program, someone has mislead or miscommunicated in that regard. No such program exists. There is culling (herd reduction) in various places but not to eradicate. On the contrary buffalo are even being reintroduced to some floodplains where they haven't been since the 80's - as the authorities realise that eradication is a mistake, at least in altered coastal areas.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simon's father wrote a book about his adventures in Arnhemland, which is a favourite of mine. Congratulations on a fine hunt!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Hey mate - great report and congrats. Your images are too big though.

I would just like to point out... You mention a buffalo eradication program. There is no eradication program, someone has mislead or miscommunicated in that regard. No such program exists. There is culling (herd reduction) in various places but not to eradicate. On the contrary buffalo are even being reintroduced to some floodplains where they haven't been since the 80's - as the authorities realise that eradication is a mistake, at least in altered coastal areas.

There was an email circulating last week to the contrary. I don't pretend to know all the details but it had a lot of people up in arms! I could have it wrong but that's what I was told. It was something new courtesy of your Government.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you got the email? I haven't seen it but I have been out in the bush.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you got the email? I haven't seen it but I have been out in the bush.

No sorry I don't....but it was the talk of camp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh-huh. Camp talk. There is no actual documented government eradication program ... I would know about it. I'd rather you didn't write about it mate, unless you have some proof that it actually does exist.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Uh-huh. Camp talk. There is no actual documented government eradication program ... I would know about it. I'd rather you didn't write about it mate, unless you have some proof that it actually does exist.

Sorry, just passing along what I was told. Perhaps I misunderstood or perhaps they were referring to the increase in culling referenced here August 26. No harm meant. Regardless, it's a good time to go to Australia to hunt buffalo. http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...-arnhem-land/6727120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. As you can see, no mention of eradication. Mostly just greeny nonsense too of course... buffalo tracks on the floodplain - terrible damage!! Prickly mimosa weed is worse on floodplains without ANY buffalo.

Anyhow, sorry to interject, just don't want people to think that the buffalo are being eradicated - as that means total destruction.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Yup, fair enough. I understood it as regional eradication but perhaps this explains it. Never meant to imply OZ would be buffalo free....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo are really only in one state and there is no regional eradication. The video was made in the same region you hunted.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buffalo are really only in one state and there is no regional eradication. The video was made in the same region you hunted.

My understanding is that different clans of Aborigines view buffalo in different ways and without their approval these culls don't happen on their lands. It seems some support the culls and others are vehemently opposed. That's what I meant by regions. The elders we spoke with where we were definitely opposed to any culling on the lands they controlled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:

My understanding is that different clans of Aborigines view buffalo in different ways and without their approval these culls don't happen on their lands. It seems some support the culls and others are vehemently opposed. That's what I meant by regions. The elders we spoke with where we were definitely opposed to any culling on the lands they controlled.
It is FAR more complicated than that - it comes down to who is applying pressure to them. As evidenced in that video the "ranger programs" are one way pressure is applied - they will give the locals 'jobs' if they put pressure on the TO's to reduce animal numbers. There have even been cases of TO's being paid compensation for the heli-culled animals (ie. bribe) - to ensure that the culls can continue. There is a flow of money around these organisations that is all about keeping white managers of these local authorities in highly paid positions and the government 'at bay' on indigenous job creation and environmental objectives (tick a box).

Safari hunting companies, live buffalo harvesters and pet meat shooters and many others can also apply pressure too, of course, with varying degrees of success.

It is a very complicated issue and every area is different.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is a very complicated issue and every area is different.

Yes, that was definitely the impression we got too, not only for hunting but for mining, tourism, etc. as well. To coin an North American phrase...it's still the wild west....or north as the case may be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good one boy

WL

Posts: 63 | Location: N.E Vic- Awwstraya | Registered: 24 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and the fishing looks brilliant. Is that a Mangrove Jack?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Fish are grouper and barramundi.. The fishing was a bit slow due to the full moon but we still really enjoyed it.

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Wow on all!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and photos, nice Barramundi too! Congrats.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Simon's father wrote a book about his adventures in Arnhemland, which is a favourite of mine. Congratulations on a fine hunt!

The book is "Whispering Wind" and is an excellent history/adventure book about the first white policemen in Arnhemland.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:

The book is "Whispering Wind" and is an excellent history/adventure book about the first white policemen in Arnhemland.

It is an excellent book for sure and the elders still have much respect for the work that Syd did in the region.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies. Thanks for sharing.