New
Find
Notify
Tools

RFID detection in airports?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been hearing a lot lately about RFID being compromised by portable readers.

Is anyone familiar with this is places like airports and near ATMs?

Would anything like this be worth getting, or is it just a gimmick?

http://www.idstronghold.com/

Posts: 42 | Location: The Glorious Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
My new cards have the RFID, and thanks to you, I just ordered some of these blockers. Seems like a needed product. I'll let you know if they work at the scanners with RFID at Stores.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to have helped.

A question--do you have a tech background that could explain this stuff to me and others? It sounds like the "next big thing" in getting ripped off. Mad

Posts: 42 | Location: The Glorious Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'd like to learn more. read up on RFID and it can be compromised by anyone with a reader at varying distances, acording to the type of chip. What's the story on blockers?

Thanks.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I don't have any credit cards with the RFID encryption right now, but when I do get any (or a new passport) I will be buying some of these for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May or may not be true, but I read somewhere that a seven second ride in a microwave will neutralize the chip.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick search returned this short video from the Popular Science magazine using aluminum foil.

RFID Protector

And another video using the microwave as posted above.
RFID microwave zap

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
I like that site with the aluminum foil video.

I remember a few years ago in VA we had a band of wally world thieves from Jamaica, NY using heavy duty foil to wrap goods in the store and then move them past the point of sale and into the parking lot.

The foil worked, it was greed and ignorance that failed them.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ske1eter,

Good video, I never knew anything about RFID chips but now I do, never even knew they existed. I think I might just do the foil in the wallet trick to help ensure my wallet safety.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on the subject I'll just use the aluminum foil in the wallet and cover the passport up.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember a few years ago in VA we had a band of wally world thieves from Jamaica, NY using heavy duty foil to wrap goods in the store and then move them past the point of sale and into the parking lot.

That is called "a booster bag"

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the free solution. I'll try the aluminum foil trick first. Big Grin